Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Peggy Edson posted:

I've tried making homemade pizza a bunch of times. The best I can say is that turns out... fine. The crust never seems to have a lot of flavor and it's neither crispy or soft, just somewhere inbetween. I have a baking stone and bake on the highest temp my oven will go but it's never any better. I've heard of baking steel, does that really make a huge difference in crust quality?

For toppings, the cheese doesn't have the same tang as a restaurant pizza and I've used shredded whole milk mozzarella. I've heard whole block mozzarella that you agreed fresh is better for this but grocery stores don't carry it around me.

What's the secret, pizza goons?

I don't know the secret but my aunt and uncle have it down. They make deep dish, new york, and thin crust style. All are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Your crust either needs to be a literal cracker quick biscuit or a high hydration ratio dough fermented at least overnight. Everything else is "just" a flatbread like OP mentions which is fine but maybe not what you're looking for as a pizza.

Oil will make most doughs very pizza like if you don't want to get into baking science and is the trick store bought doughballs (and many pizza places) are usually using to mass produce pizza dough.

what part of America are you from?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

Replace the dough with zucchini slices.

no loving way

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

you need to live in a place with high quality water to use to make the dough

yep

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You do what you have to do when you're out of salt.

you gently caress the salt? ouch