Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MrMoo posted:

Both EUC-JP and Shift-JIS are fine, the Chinese plethora is definitely not though (GB 18030 et al). Just a giant family of codes that randomly overlap and have no programmatic method to determine which is which.

every once in awhile we'll get contacted by someone from far away in the company telling us our software failed some GB18030 test and the workarounds to get it passing are always ultra obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

all variants of ebcdic

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

echinopsis posted:

cool avatar is that new

I had to check I hadn't been bestowed with a new one, this one is 2 years old.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

MrMoo posted:

WebP, AVIF, and HEIF are all wavelet based.

MrMoo posted:

Correct, anything newer than JPEG and x264/AVC is going to be wavelet based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_(video_compression_format)

Unless you can provide a source for that, I'm 99% certain that's wrong. As far as I know, all the new codecs that people actually use (VP8, VP9, H.265, AV1 and the upcoming H.266, plus the image formats derived from them) are still based on DCT and do not use wavelets in any meaningful way.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I could be poo poo at reading, but all state some level of wavelet usage.

quote:

Dirac employs wavelet compression, like the JPEG 2000 and PGF image formats and the Cineform professional video codec, instead of the discrete cosine transforms used in MPEG compression formats. Two of the specific wavelets Dirac can use are nearly identical to JPEG 2000's (known as the 5/3 and 9/7 wavelets), as well as two more derived from them.[17]

This paper states:

quote:

Video codecs like HEVC/H.265 or AV1 use discrete cosine transform (DCT) and motion compensation for high compression rates at a reasonable perceptual quality.

Overview by Team Netflix.

Some tenuous relation that discrete wavelet transforms (DWT) can be used to improve DCT encoding.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...feeb31901021b64

This is what AV1 appears to do too:

https://aomedia.googlesource.com/aom/+/refs/heads/main/av1/encoder/firstpass.h#57

So yes, I'm terrible at reading, outside of JPEG-2000 and Dirac (abandoned and even domain squatted now), the main technologies are still DCT at the core but may use DWTs to improve coding.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cpe.4855

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 26, 2022

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I know Dirac was definitely wavelet-based, but I didn't think any of the others used it. The AV1 code you pointed at seems to be used for bitrate allocation for two-pass mode, not for directly coding the bitstream: https://aomedia.googlesource.com/aom/+/refs/heads/main/av1/encoder/firstpass.c#558 This Mozilla blog post about AV1 mentions wavelets, but it seems to be in reference to possible image processing/filtering techniques and not necessary techniques implemented by AV1 itself. I can't find any references to H.265 using wavelets, though I did find this academic paper that specifically compares some experimental wavelet-based codecs against H.265 as an example of a DCT-based codec.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if AVI and AV1 fought, who do u think would win

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Progressive JPEG posted:

which one’s the swappiest? there’s your answer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrMoo posted:

I had to check I hadn't been bestowed with a new one, this one is 2 years old.

lol it was a joke coz for some reason I thought it was like a decade old

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
just use hocon op

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Progressive JPEG posted:

Gotta release a new format called AVl followed by AV|

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I think its been three years since I posted this in the thread back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SylTTiHzZBU

(because i was bored and learning After Effects for fun)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hey it’s url

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Gentle Autist posted:

hey it’s url

I'm never far away!

Hope all is well with you!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

url posted:

I'm never far away!

Hope all is well with you!

and u buddy!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

.docx.pdf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

.vbs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
.usdz

I imagine it’s fine for Pixar’s use, but Apple deciding that the “Universal Scene Description” format should be the way to store AR scene information when the AR standard everywhere else is .gltf and 99.9% of all AR development on iPhone is people just wanting to load one, maybe two, 3D models has been very much a PITA.

Format might be more useful when the AR glasses come out.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

beyond and besides which gltf is surprisingly not that terrible for the space it inhabits.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

.usdz

I imagine it’s fine for Pixar’s use, but Apple deciding that the “Universal Scene Description” format should be the way to store AR scene information when the AR standard everywhere else is .gltf and 99.9% of all AR development on iPhone is people just wanting to load one, maybe two, 3D models has been very much a PITA.

Format might be more useful when the AR glasses come out.

.usdz nuts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
meet hot .gltf in your area

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
speaking of .gltf, did someone already say .fbx

a proprietary format that somehow became a standard even though autodesk won't publish the specification for it. if you want to use .fbx you can either use the autodesk c++ sdk, the python importer/exporter that blender reverse engineered, or reverse engineer your own

also it can be in either binary or ascii format, and not all 3d software supports both

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
autodesk is basically the adobe of 3d

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Zlodo posted:

autodesk is basically the adobe of 3d

I recently started to play with the 3D apps, just for shits and giggles. It's been literal decades since I did,and by Christ they got good while I wasn't looking.

That said, fukn lol at the gltf, vs, fbx, vs obj, it's an horrific cluster gently caress of a mess.

To get back on point, Adobe are very much establishing their reputation as being the rightful owner of the crown 'the' Adobe of 3D. Autodesk might have their own circle in hell, but gd Adobe have a ticket for that bus and they are not hanging around waiting.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
heif

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont know what a webp is but its fail -_-

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

webp is the one that doesn't open in anything and looks like a jpeg saved at 30% quality

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sweevo posted:

webp is the one that doesn't open in anything

that's heic

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

no, that's the ghostbusters drink

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
PDF

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
bbcode

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

could’ve saved a lot of pages by making this the not terrible formats thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

unironically enjoy a good well encoded pdf

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
obj was ok because they were easy to edit by hand, if you wanted to you could draft out simple models on paper and type them in

it's probably a bit dated now tho

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

unironically enjoy a good well encoded pdf

same, although pdf also allows people to scan 9th-generation photocopies at 600dpi and not OCR them

what i'm saying is that pdf is a land of contrasts

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

.str video & interleaved .xa audio but I have a soft spot for potato encoding, the artefacts make my brain fuzzy like vinyl pop or vhs warble or casette flutter & wow

for whatever reason the old ps1 devkit tools kept eating poo poo on my avi files but it does work by first converting to cinepak. extra flavour

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

along those lines, duck motion, but these old codecs are actually good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just remembered XNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just remembered XNG

oh yeah wasn’t that suspicious dish’s project I remember them posting that back in uhhh. I guess 2014 lol

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 8, 2023