Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I heard the books aren't as good as the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I mostly liked the show. The last season was kinda meh, iirc, but at least it got an ending.

muscles like this! posted:

The books pretty much focus exclusively on Quentin instead of the more ensemble nature of the show.

I thought the books were edgier or something.

Edit: Also that Quentin is insufferable in them, but that's probably the result of being inside the character's head.

itry fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 16, 2022

itry
Aug 23, 2019

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I liked how the show had an entire episode trying to convince its watchers that Quentin was NOT the main character despite him the being the one that usually drove the main plot forward, and the character that tied all the other characters together. This was done right before the character was killed off in the season finale for the penultimate season..

Also, the book was terrible because instead of showing how magic isn't going to solve all your problems, it just showed that being an hedonistic rear end in a top hat will ultimately just make your life miserable. The only character that wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat was Penny.

Huh, in the show Penny is a complete and utter rear end in a top hat :v:

Regarding the spoiler; yeah that was a weird decision. I guess somebody got bored or busy with other things.

Also, don't click the SPOILER Applewhite :ohdear:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That too.

When you hear that a fantasy book is edgy it means there's a very graphic, violent, painstakingly described rape scene and oh boy does that hold true here.

Oh, right. Of course.

Vim Fuego posted:

How would you take a passport with you when you're dead? Like, normal dead or Fillorian dead doesn't really matter.

Presumably the same way those pharaohs took all of those cats.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Robo Reagan posted:

books are never as good as the show nobody wants to read a bunch of boring loving internal monologues or read a 5 paragraph description of the roasted ham

I think that's a GRRM thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

two of the characters gently caress while shapeshifted into arctic foxes. in the second book a much larger, angrier fox is considerably less concerned with consent

Any other animals having sex, or is that it?

pixaal posted:

Lev Grossman prefers the show to his books, it feels like a different time loop. Margo's name is Janet in the books, they make a nod to this and ask about Janet a few times in the show for everyone to be confused.

Did he say that? I feel like that's unusal for an author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Bloop posted:

Geese, I think? A sloth, maybe.

Boats definitely gently caress at one point.

Also there are literal talking animals that are (non-human) people so it's at least heavily implied more than once

I just remembered there was a whole episode involving the legality of bestiality interspecies sex. So checks out.