Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
quote="GunHellSling"

The best threads here are where we all get along, but we've been beating around the bush forever on this. I read the deleted post about how it's an unwritten rule, but I've been a Hunter since 2009 and I was reading Lowtracks' Hunter blog in high school before that. So I'm going to say it:

The wikipedia articles for list of cryptids and lists of missing treasure are better than the tvtropes equivalents. Yes they're a bit less "inclusive" or "fun", but the curation creates value by distilling and snapshotting current academic culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

quote="GunHellSing"

thanks for the new avatar, vacousRommyMommy!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

Spends his entire life hunting for something that does not exist, now his ghost is doomed to wander forever searching for something that cannot be found.

from my favorite podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2fNP4Y1iio

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The Bloop posted:

I have a real lead about where to find a bigfoot but I'm not telling till I have proof

you gotta livepost that man! try twitch or youtube streaming, looks easy

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Pitdragon posted:

Hey fellow hunters I fuond this rock out in the woods outside my Property pretty sure that a Bigfoot Stepped on it from the marks/imprants. Also my Wife heard a loud noise at the Time that sounded like a Bigfoot to her. We have heard Bigfoot many times around this Neck of the woods so we are both familar with what He sounds Like. My son thinks it was a Big Moose that Did it though. Not sure what to Think so I took a Picture with my phone. What do you guys think Moose or Bigfoot? I am Leaning toward Bigfoot but my son keeps saying Moose now I am not so Sure.

cool, didn't know Bigfoots lived in Germany! what are the big local cryptids over there? like the Jersey Devil and the natives' Wendigo here

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's good she's not real because Smugworth would gently caress her

Smugworth is a pretty out-there artist but he's not a creep, dude. we loved those hilarious giant squid/woman swallowing videos he made for the Flash Porthole, and loving Lowtracks even put him up in his garden shed. I trust him if he trusts him

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

what happens when you run out of pee in the woods?

depends on if there're elixirs/potions in the cave/tomb you're searching for

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

Smugworth is a pretty out-there artist but he's not a creep, dude. we loved those hilarious giant squid/woman swallowing videos he made for the Flash Porthole, and loving Lowtracks even put him up in his garden shed. I trust him if he trusts him

apologies Smugworth, I confused you with Schmorgthy for a sec

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Does anyone have the :filez: for that sick treasure hunter G de-make done in unity? The dev had strong words on twitter (maybe she's ex-hunter lol) but couldn't afford to fight squaresoft's DMCA in court. Maybe someone should start a gofundme?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Ugh you guys I just thought of something. What if.. what if sasquatches are dazzling us with magical forest gems, and that’s why we never see them? Maybe they aren’t even exclusive to the forest. Maybe there are squatch in the business world, in media, in politics, in urban sprawls and intellectual circles, supervising factories in China? Maybe we need to set up squatchin stations in the city, in the park, in concert halls and restaurants. Maybe squatchin ain’t just for the woods. Maybe they’ve been in our hearts all along and they will reveal themselves as the gentle lightbearers and guardians of the world. I thought up all this on my own right after the op said it. :hmmyes:

this moment is going down in Treasuredex wiki

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Watsonian vs Doylist explanation of flotsam vs jetsam laws pertaining to the eurotrash German count dude stealing the Nazi-stolen paintings in that Indie/Laura level archeology-adventurer episode of Simpsons, The Flying Hellfish

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

dot communist posted:

Anyone got a source on powdered jackalope horn?

Asking for a friend. With dick problems.

my German friend in London says that that snuff is $69 a box / $420 a crate now, so good luck man! I feel you because I could afford it on my underachieving-tech-person salary (after cutting out 13 hard ciders a day) but I'm not cool enough to get a rabbit hookup in Bushwick. If it helps, my apt tin he McKibben Lofts was wikipedia-famous for Jackalope stag-do's by UK trust fund artists squatting at $1000/room/month in the 2010s. hope that helps with your drug search, sounds cool

so many "it ain't bushmeat, yank" declarations. lmao, own your addiction

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

dr_rat posted:

I thought I saw a bigfoot once. Turned out it was just a normal person who caught and ate a rabbit in a park.

I did take a blur photo of them thou so like maybe it sort of counts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrmEjTwjPI

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xezvIMW2GRw

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

edit: I answered the question by rereading Poe's "The Gold Bug"

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 21, 2023

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I've devoted my life to hunting cryptids. But what happens when we find them? What becomes of us when the unknown creatures become known? Are we doomed, like Alexander, to weep at the world's edge? What if, when we catch what we were hunting, we open our grasping hands and see only emptiness?
Also has anyone got twenty bucks they can lend me, I haven;t necessarily been having a whole lot of what you'd call "food" lately

"Well we would, but most people who believe in Bigfoot are broke."

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I thought we just hated mothman because he's from West Virginia

You're on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon, Mr. Mothra :clint:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

which is a more seminal treasure opera: Count of Monte Christo or Treasure Island? Or maybe Poe's short The Gold Bug, to cover all angles of the France + England + US treasure traditions

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

E/N: My *girlfriend* loves chibi-chupacabras and I'm a dubloon-fiend. What's the perfect cross-hunting trip for us in South America? Note that I have a prescription to wear diabetic-friendly shorts in all weather biomes, so no mosquitoes please

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

You better start believing in squatches, friend, yer living with one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0tio7WZtE

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

*Eats Sasquatch umbilical cord smugly*

"We are squatching on the basest of plains; What we need, is more fur..."

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Gorsh is it squatch season already?

My bad missing this. To answer your question: yes but the permits are extra limited this year

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

goatface posted:

Do earth-born lizard people count as cryptids or are they just aliens?

Expats

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Stonehouse Beach posted:

[Megathread] Poo identification – from Fouke monster floaters to Dover demon dingleberries

Don't forget the most precious mineral of Mother Nature!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolite

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Womblemania posted:

Would you risk a blowie from a vampire? Asking for a friend

The greatest cryptid treasure of all

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Good hunter,

May you find your worth in the waking World

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

I just remembered that one guy who posted something like 6 pages of almost nothing but orc erotica in a thread over a timespan of a year. And then he tried to defend himself with "i was of course posting it ironically, you just don't get jokes. I don't even like orc erotica :hehe:". Man, what a time to be alive

and now he's running twitter into the ground

small world huh

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

parts of the congo river are 720 feet deep. that's nuts

Tree Bucket posted:

I bet there's hecka cryptids down there.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Cryptid Daguerreotype

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

shoutout to all the Old Hunters out there, making ironic Hell hunting look fly as Hell

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 12, 2023

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, he's a pretty chill dude

Just don't spill his coke...

Or try to cheat him...

Or get between him and a lady...

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009