Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It's apparently also really offensive to use the term "spaz" because for some reason over there it's heavily and specifically associated with epilepsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's not really. we just say that to get people banned

blue peter is a very long running kids show that in the 80s had a person with spastic cerebral palsy feature heavily (no idea where you got epilepsy from). he had pretty severe speech impediments and from that moment "spastic" was embedded in schoolyards nationwide as a sick burn

My bad, somehow I mixed up the associated disease. But yeah the point is it's hilariously esoteric bullshit that has somehow been generalized to the point where people get still banned for it on a dead, gay, and very American message board to this day.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

sorry but if we can't call people "tHe C wOrD" because it's apparently a gendered insult in the USA then you're just gonna have to deal with it :cool:

I'm in the USA and I think it's fine. The intensely gendered use of it wasn't something I encountered until just a couple years ago. Seeing it banned here was equally weird to me.