Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Seriously, this movie has no right whatsoever to be so goddamn incredibly amazing. The music is perfect, John C. Reilly is unbelievably talented as Dewey Cox, and the story of his life is hysterical while still being grounded and historically accurate to each time period. It’s such an honestly sharp and humorous “biopic” of no one in particular and every major singer from the fifties and sixties. If you have not seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it because it loving slaps and is a bop and other modern lingo etc. I’m gonna reiterate that seriously, it loving owns.

“Beautiful Ride” is a gorgeous song and I teared up the first time I heard it. Love those chord structures and key changes :allears:

:nws: for male nudity :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOi_kZffAho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm super into this thread. I really like musical biopics, and I totally love this movie. Its hilarious how much it gets right, there are scenes from the new Elvis movie that are identical to some of the scenes in that are parodied in it. I really think its one of the cleverest parody movies ever.

This version of That's Amore and the reaction cracks me up, and Walk Hard itself is a cool song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2lhQCxKx_Y

The reefer scene is also iconic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW9AHQXh_RM

Seriously, one of my favourite movies of all time. Easily in my top five comedies. I've told so many people to watch this and honestly I'm not sure any of them have.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I prefer Cox Hard: The Dewey Walk Story.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Tim Meadows, Matt Besser, and Joe Latruglio absolutely rock as his backing band. Every part is well cast, from his conservative dad to the lovely Beatles impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_iEYXLXbjY

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
My favourite thing about this movie is that it was great when it came out but actually turned out to be stunningly prescient; biopics were fairly common at the time but they're loving ubiquitous now and are all essentially the same. Rocketman had the good sense to at least try to put a different spin on "[artist name] has to think about his whole life before he plays" but Elvis did the "IT'S THE DEVIL'S MUSIC" scene unironically.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Such a great movie. Feels like it's somewhere between a fake documentary about a real person or a real documentary about a fake person, and it was criminally underrated upon its release.

Adrianics posted:

My favourite thing about this movie is that it was great when it came out but actually turned out to be stunningly prescient; biopics were fairly common at the time but they're loving ubiquitous now and are all essentially the same. Rocketman had the good sense to at least try to put a different spin on "[artist name] has to think about his whole life before he plays" but Elvis did the "IT'S THE DEVIL'S MUSIC" scene unironically.

I was hoping it'd kill the musical biopic like Blazing Saddles killed westerns, but it didn't.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

There's no way this movie could exist without John C Reilly. There's nobody out there who has such goofy perfect comedic chops while also being an actually exceptional musician. It also a complete bummer that it was actually a total flop. I mean, I didn't see it in theatre but I guess nobody else did either.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

im anosmic and i always tell people im nose blind like dewey cox

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I also crack up at his dad going "The wrong kid died!"

Sorry for posting so much, I'm passionate about Dewey Cox as real art

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

There's no way this movie could exist without John C Reilly. There's nobody out there who has such goofy perfect comedic chops while also being an actually exceptional musician. It also a complete bummer that it was actually a total flop. I mean, I didn't see it in theatre but I guess nobody else did either.

I didn't even know about it until I was subjected to the trailer over and over again at the video store. Most of the stuff they played on the ad loop was bad but every now and then something like Walk Hard or In Bruges came along that you could tell was something special.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

TK8325 posted:

im anosmic and i always tell people im nose blind like dewey cox

gonna use this, I forgot he's anosmic too. though it wasn't from shock over accidentally cutting my brother in half with a machete

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah, I didn’t see it in theaters either and I wish I had. I didn’t give it a watch until I saw Step Brothers and decided to check out other Reilly comedies, and man it just blew me away how brilliant it really is.

Reilly also does singing and dancing in Chicago and that’s where I first saw and heard his talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OToWh3nrWn8

That same year he also played Happy Jack in Gangs of New York. The dude is seriously gifted.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
in my dreams you're blowing me...............some kisses

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

...and you never once paid for drugs!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The entire Bob Dylan part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukq-Zc7nGw8

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hell yeah walked hard owns.

The jokes about him being clearly the wrong ages are gold.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Going to watch because of this thread lol

Never heard of this movie

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I need an army of didgeridoos.

FIFTY-THOUSAND DIDGERIDOOS!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It is extremely good and John C Reilly is amazingly talented as an actor, especially a comedy actor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
He's one of the few actors who's equally good in dramatic roles too, though a lot of those were earlier in his career.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I saw the movie in theaters on a whim back in 2007.

What a fantastic surprise.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I loving love Walk Hard so much. I saw it stoned at a friends place for the first time years ago and fell in love.

I remember watching it at least once a week for like a month with a friend as we would just get insanely stoned and howl with laughter at the movie and yell lines at each other all the time.

Anytime either of us hosed up it was always met with "WONG KID DIED!"

"Beautiful Ride" makes me cry like a baby every single time I watch the movie.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's a borderline perfect movie. The moment where he sees a long row of bathroom sinks to destroy is so good.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Zucker Zucker and Abrahams were smiling from heaven when this came out

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Underrated movie. Overdue for a rewatch.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

Zucker Zucker and Abrahams were smiling from heaven when this came out

What are they doing up there?

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
I like the part where he does cocaine and then invents punk music

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It makes you laugh, smile, feel good...

Stay away from this movie! You don't want no part of this poo poo!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Completely forgot about this movie.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Reilly's old man walk is well executed

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's one of the most underappreciated comedy movies of the last 20 years

It's the movie the people who think Wedding Crashers and Ricky Bobby should enjoy but they're too stupid to understand the satire

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’d just like to say the impressions and the accents that go along with them are just so good. My top three stupid accented phrases are:

“Muyns and muyns and muyns of people.”

“Gleat Lecord.”

“C’caine.”

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

...not once.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Harold Ramis and the other music producers were great.

The conversation he has with Dewey while in jail is great.

"...re-hab? "'Re-hab'?" "...Rehab." "Oh, rehab!"

Toxic Mental posted:

It's one of the most underappreciated comedy movies of the last 20 years

It's the movie the people who think Wedding Crashers and Ricky Bobby should enjoy but they're too stupid to understand the satire

I'll defend Talladega Nights (but not the middle act, because it's slow) because there are a lot of jokes in that movie that just straight-up blindside me whenever I hear them.

Walk Hard is a much better and funnier movie overall, and that's because the entire movie takes itself 100% seriously like a solid satire should. When a joke is made, it lands; when there aren't jokes, it's still a solid movie.

You Are A Elf posted:

“C’caine.”

:hmmyes:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I didn't even know this movie existed until a couple months ago when I was going through some boxes and found the DVD with the wrapping still on. Guess it was a gift from someone lol. Gave it a watch because the internet was out and was not disappointed! John C Reilly is an absolute gem, he's like Will Ferrell except actually very talented.

My favorite part is when Dewey Cox accidentally invents punk way before its time

Sgt. Goku
Sep 29, 2007

"Thank you!"
I'm cut in half real bad Dewey!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It's a good movie

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If your erection lasts more than 4 hours, call more ladies :)

Tim Meadows was amazing in that movie.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

the running "you dont want none of this" drug gag and specifically the weed sequence is probably my favorite part of this outstanding movie.

Sam:
[after Dewey accidentally barges in a room filled with smoke and groupies] Get outta here, Dewey!

Dewey Cox:
What are y'all doin' in here?

Sam:
We're smoking reefer and you don't want no part of this sh*t.

Dewey Cox:
You're smoking *reefers*?

Sam:
Yeah, 'course we are; can't you smell it?

Dewey Cox:
[somberly] No, Sam. I can't.

Girl Groupie:
Come on, Dewey! Join the party! [takes a hit off a joint]

Sam:
No, Dewey, you don't want this. Get outta here!

Dewey Cox:
You know what, I don't want no hangover. I can't get no hangover.

Sam:
It doesn't give you a hangover!

Dewey Cox:
Wha-I get addicted to it or something?

Sam:
It's not habit-forming!

Dewey Cox:
Oh, okay... well, I don't know... I don't want to overdose on it.

Sam:
You can't OD on it!

Dewey Cox:
It's not gonna make me wanna have sex, is it?

Sam:
It makes sex even better!

Dewey Cox:
Sounds kind of expensive.

Sam:
It's the cheapest drug there is.

Dewey Cox:
[at a loss and out of excuses] Hmm.

Sam:
You don't want it!

Dewey Cox:
I think I kinda want it.