Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Character Idea: Goblin Monk with Monastic Weaponry/Ancestral Weaponry, Bullet Dancer Archetype, and an Explosive Dogslicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Out of curiosity how appropriate is Pathfinder for running am Eberron game? It seems like an interesting system but idk how easy it'd be to reflavor to some of the specifics of the setting, especially Artificers

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

StashAugustine posted:

Out of curiosity how appropriate is Pathfinder for running am Eberron game? It seems like an interesting system but idk how easy it'd be to reflavor to some of the specifics of the setting, especially Artificers

Inventors don’t work quite like Artificers, but they capture a lot of the same flavor.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
There's also the Automaton ancestry, which is at minimum close enough to work for Warforged. Other than that, dragonmarks would probably take a bit of homebrew but there's enough examples of feats that give limited access to spells to figure something out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

There's also the Automaton ancestry, which is at minimum close enough to work for Warforged. Other than that, dragonmarks would probably take a bit of homebrew but there's enough examples of feats that give limited access to spells to figure something out.

The new Deviant Feat chains from Dark Archive seems like a good answer here.

https://2e.aonprd.com/DeviantFeats.aspx
https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1718

The Relic rules are also a good place to look https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1096

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 19, 2022

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Chevy Slyme posted:

Character Idea: Goblin Monk with Monastic Weaponry/Ancestral Weaponry, Bullet Dancer Archetype, and an Explosive Dogslicer.

The explosive dogslicer is an advanced weapon, and Bullet Dancer Stance only works with simple firearms.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Someone has made this for PF2 Eberron:

https://scribe.pf2.tools/v/2qF7WjsY-pathfinders-guide-to-eberron

I have not read it but it seems extremely high effort

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 20, 2022

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a separate Pathfinder GM book or is it in the core rulebook?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

There's the Gamemastery Guide. It technically isn't necessary, but it has a lot of useful stuff.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The core rulebook has all the rules necessary to run a game. The Game Mastery Guide has GM advice, optional rules, and guidance for turning a session into a campaign. It’s extremely helpful but not needed to get up and running.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any word if Strength of Thousands is going to get an official Foundry module?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Someone needs to get a srd version up for pathfinder 2: path harder so I don't have to pretend I'm using a geocities site in 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

StashAugustine posted:

An Inventor who sinks all his feats into Alchemist dedication is basically and Artificer

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Someone needs to get a srd version up for pathfinder 2: path harder so I don't have to pretend I'm using a geocities site in 2022

Archives of Nethys is the official (as in, they have an actual license from Paizo) reference site.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roadie posted:

Archives of Nethys is the official (as in, they have an actual license from Paizo) reference site.

https://pf2easy.com/tree/ has everything as well

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Archives of Nethys also has alternate themes that look less like poo poo.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've always found that website to be so slow

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've always found that website to be so slow
Apparently they've been having server issues for months but things have been working better recently

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Enos Cabell posted:

Any word if Strength of Thousands is going to get an official Foundry module?

Likely no. You can use the pdf to foundry module to import your official pdf.

Paizo is likely not going to be back porting stuff until much much later

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
If they hardback Strength of Thousands it’ll likely get a Foundry release as a one volume job. Otherwise use the importer, you’ll need to fix some character art and put in some stats for NPCs if the players ask them for help in fights. Otherwise it works fairly well.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does the importer import maps?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yes.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It imports maps, journals and npcs. Some of the monsters don't have graphics so you'll need to import token pictures.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Is 8 PCs too many for PF2e? I have an upcoming campaign with potentially that many players

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Froghammer posted:

Is 8 PCs too many for PF2e? I have an upcoming campaign with potentially that many players

Uhh I would struggle to play any games with 8 players regardless of system to be honest

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Froghammer posted:

8 feels too many for any system that isn't just improv and beer, tbh.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Froghammer posted:

Yes but two parties of four is perfect

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

way too many. Works best with 4-5 and gets worse fast in either direction

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
One of the snags with PF2e is that it’s harder to adapt for changing player counts. XP is per player so you can’t just do the “split the XP among more people so the PCs are lower level later on”, and the action economy is really sensitive. It’s best to try to scale up encounters using the guidelines in the book, but scaling to 8 may need some fudging.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Scaling to 8 is really easy, just double the number of enemies. All BBEGs have a equally evil twin.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't forget the map.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

VikingofRock posted:

Scaling to 8 is really easy, just double the number of enemies. All BBEGs have a equally evil twin.

Which is more or less what the book tells you to do, but has the problem that if double the enemies end up attacking one tank PC, then they too easily get trashed. If you can somehow find a way to spread the party out then it can work, but tacticians tend to avoid that.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Harold Fjord posted:

Don't forget the map.

Honestly this map makes me more hype to try Pathfinder 2e.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017
How does PF2E handle encounters? Is there an XP budget (or something similar)?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GimpInBlack posted:

It’s an accurate map of Golarion

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GimpInBlack posted:

It's also remarkably on point for a joke.

They lose points for colouring, but not coming up with a witty phrase for, Jalmeray though.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 21, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pasha posted:

How does PF2E handle encounters? Is there an XP budget (or something similar)?

Yes. There’s an XP budget based off of difficulty and number of PCs and you choose enemies and hazards to fit that budget. Both enemies and hazards follow mathematically solid design systems, so it hangs together very well.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

GimpInBlack posted:

I will say, Pathfinder 2e does feel like it's handles the stuff on that map in a much more fun way than 1e did. At the very least, it hits 'fun' more reliably. Take the Mwangi Expanse, the Africa joke on that map. In 1e, I hated it because it was just a random slice of colonial Africa they dropped into the setting because Paizo's executives like pulp stories set in that era. 2e feels like they're trying to be more respectful about integrating it into a fantasy setting, instead of just being A Historical Setting, But Fantasy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Mwangi Expanse setting book is excellent. One of the best setting books I've read for any system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I will say, Pathfinder 2e does feel like it's handles the stuff on that map in a much more fun way than 1e did. At the very least, it hits 'fun' more reliably. Take the Mwangi Expanse, the Africa joke on that map. In 1e, I hated it because it was just a random slice of colonial Africa they dropped into the setting because Paizo's executives like pulp stories set in that era. 2e feels like they're trying to be more respectful about integrating it into a fantasy setting, instead of just being A Historical Setting, But Fantasy.

I mean I guess but there was also like nothing written about the mwangi expanse other than the 30 page sargava companion which kinda counts?

Can’t say I’ve noticed any huge shifts in style personally