Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sugar free jazz posted:

I mean I guess but there was also like nothing written about the mwangi expanse other than the 30 page sargava companion which kinda counts?

Can’t say I’ve noticed any huge shifts in style personally

Actually paying attention to the Mwangi Expanse in a way that isn’t 30 pages of stereotypes and vaguely racist caricatures is itself a shift in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Mwangi is prominently featured in at least two adventure paths and there's a guide. Efb

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

yeah guess i forgot about serpent's skull and heart of the jungle, that ap was awful

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Andrast posted:

The Mwangi Expanse setting book is excellent. One of the best setting books I've read for any system.

An awesome book and every piece of art is a character I want to play. The dragon worshipping dwarfs with integrated clans of kobolds is a particular highlight for me.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

sugar free jazz posted:

I mean I guess but there was also like nothing written about the mwangi expanse other than the 30 page sargava companion which kinda counts?

Can’t say I’ve noticed any huge shifts in style personally

Everyone else already mentioned the worse bits of the Mwangi Expanse's presentation, but the way early 1e tried to sell you on locations by presenting them as thin pastiches of real life countries actively put me off of Golarion. Do you like Egypt? How about China? Don't worry, a legally distinct version of the Roma people are there too.

Once you get about halfway through 1e it feels like Erik Mona is the only writer who really enjoyed making that kind of IRL cultural expy, and in 2e all the setting info's first impressions feel like actual settings I'd like to read about and less like a racist travelogue.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Everyone else already mentioned the worse bits of the Mwangi Expanse's presentation, but the way early 1e tried to sell you on locations by presenting them as thin pastiches of real life countries actively put me off of Golarion. Do you like Egypt? How about China? Don't worry, a legally distinct version of the Roma people are there too.

Once you get about halfway through 1e it feels like Erik Mona is the only writer who really enjoyed making that kind of IRL cultural expy, and in 2e all the setting info's first impressions feel like actual settings I'd like to read about and less like a racist travelogue.

The Egypt expy gets points for going all in on the stupid though. According to the lore, the Earth's Ancient Egyptian pantheon is the same as Osirion's because they're literally the same gods. At some point they decided to gently caress off from Golarian and go and live on Earth instead.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

CottonWolf posted:

The Egypt expy gets points for going all in on the stupid though. According to the lore, the Earth's Ancient Egyptian pantheon is the same as Osirion's because they're literally the same gods. At some point they decided to gently caress off from Golarian and go and live on Earth instead.

That's basically the excuse given for real-world gods being found in settings like the Forgotten Realms, or even more broadly, Planescape. It's a fine old tradition among D&D and its descendants that various gods just set up franchises in multiple worlds.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
while i appreciate the effort in throwing out a lot of wildly different campaign premises, it doesn't stop golarion from feeling like a patchwork quilt of campaign pitches with no real coherence

similar to how eberron basically level-gates its three continents

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I agree but I like that Golarion is just every-loving-thing in one setting, having to co-exist

I think the 2e version just feels less afraid to have poo poo crossover.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

yeah I agree but I like that Golarion is just every-loving-thing in one setting, having to co-exist

I think the 2e version just feels less afraid to have poo poo crossover.

I think they're a little emboldened that they have a player base that's bought into the setting, not just "new 3.5 rules" so they can do stuff like focus on Alkenstar and Nidal, and that Pathfinder 2e is also a much easier rules framework for them to bring this stuff in than Pathfinder 1e was.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Now you get poo poo like how the Russian fairy tale kingdom ruled by literal historical Anastasia is importing tesla coils from Earth, and then technology leaks to Hammer Horror Land where scientists are using it to go full Frankenstein.

that's great!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I kinda enjoy how dumb golarion is. poo poo like that works really well in a D&D-like imo.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mister Olympus posted:

while i appreciate the effort in throwing out a lot of wildly different campaign premises, it doesn't stop golarion from feeling like a patchwork quilt of campaign pitches with no real coherence

similar to how eberron basically level-gates its three continents

Eberron has four continents though.

Though I suppose you do Khorvaire to start with, Xen'Drik to get the weapons you need to beat up the Quori, then go to Sarlona to beat up the Quori and maybe some Daelkyr on the side.

Argonnessen is the postgame/expansion that's literally "here's where the dragons who machinate their inscrutable plans live, level-gated by really tough seafaring barbarians in the way".

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm looking hard at the Kineticist playtest for my upcoming Eberron Pathfinder game.

Gonna very much enjoy being a viking hobgoblin with water powers

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Froghammer posted:

I'm looking hard at the Kineticist playtest for my upcoming Eberron Pathfinder game.

Gonna very much enjoy being a viking hobgoblin with water powers

Aye, I was really enjoying my Mountain Style Monk in PFS, but depending on how the finished Kineticist stuff turns out, I might have to swap.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Pasha posted:

How does PF2E handle encounters? Is there an XP budget (or something similar)?

Yes, there's a budget, and it's very easy to understand: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=497. Figure out the total, pick the monsters and/or hazards, done. There are also very good rules for creating monsters and hazards.

The one big thing to note is that each level of difference between the players and a target swings the math in favor of the higher-level entity by 1, so an Extreme-threat encounter filled solely with mooks at a -4 level will only be Extremely boring, and an Extreme-threat boss at +4 might be entirely unsurvivable with attacks only hitting on a 19+.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Okay, I'm reading through the PF2e rulebook and there's something that's bugging me about the armor chart: namely, there are a few cases where two armor options are identical (or near-identical) in stats, but have different prices. For example, Hide and Scale armor are identical across the board except that Hide armor is in the "leather" group and Scale is in the "composite" group, which boils down to whether the armor specialization effect givesyou resistance to bludgeoning or piercing damage. And yet, Scale armor costs twice what Hide does. The only other difference I can see is that, as predominantly-metal armor, Scale has more hardness and hp, but armor doesn't generally take damage the way shields do, so that seems marginal at best.

Or, for another example, Splint Mail vs. Half Plate. Again, identical except for the composite vs. plate group, but half-plate costs 18 gp to Splint's 13. And in this case they're both metal, so they have the same hardness and hp in the unlikely event that comes up.

Am I missing something here, or is this just one of those annoying D&D legacy issues where certain armor types are still on the chart for "tradition" and one is more expensive for "realism?"

(And yes, I know this is a minor issue that only really matters at level 1 and a few gp difference in the base price of nonmagical armor stos mattering almost immediately, I'm just confused as to why it's there at all.)

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Update the thread title to "It's better than OneD&D, we swear!"

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

GimpInBlack posted:

Okay, I'm reading through the PF2e rulebook and there's something that's bugging me about the armor chart: namely, there are a few cases where two armor options are identical (or near-identical) in stats, but have different prices. For example, Hide and Scale armor are identical across the board except that Hide armor is in the "leather" group and Scale is in the "composite" group, which boils down to whether the armor specialization effect givesyou resistance to bludgeoning or piercing damage. And yet, Scale armor costs twice what Hide does. The only other difference I can see is that, as predominantly-metal armor, Scale has more hardness and hp, but armor doesn't generally take damage the way shields do, so that seems marginal at best.

Or, for another example, Splint Mail vs. Half Plate. Again, identical except for the composite vs. plate group, but half-plate costs 18 gp to Splint's 13. And in this case they're both metal, so they have the same hardness and hp in the unlikely event that comes up.

Am I missing something here, or is this just one of those annoying D&D legacy issues where certain armor types are still on the chart for "tradition" and one is more expensive for "realism?"

(And yes, I know this is a minor issue that only really matters at level 1 and a few gp difference in the base price of nonmagical armor stos mattering almost immediately, I'm just confused as to why it's there at all.)

It's more or less that yeah. There used to be minor differences in weight (if you cared about carrying capacity), whether druids can wear it, susceptibility to stuff like heat/chill metal, etc. some of which has been smoothed over in 2e.

MotorCityBadBoy
Nov 15, 2015
The Lost Omens Travel Guide looks gorgeous so far from all the previews.

I'm pretty new to TTRPGs and thought I'd want to mostly stick to PDFs but Paizo's artists make it so hard not to get the books.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s really good. I got my PDF last week. It’s all fluff, but that’s what I want from the Lost Omens series. Some of the details are great, things like goblins measuring time by songs or the length of burning fires. There are some really useful GM details too, if you’re running a game in Golarion, especially the section on what ordinary people know.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
The lost omens books have all been great. The Absalom one really is packed full of great art and setting details.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
If you're a Strength Ranger is there a maximum Dex score that you shouldn't bother going over?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

If you're a Strength Ranger is there a maximum Dex score that you shouldn't bother going over?

If you're in chainmail you only need +1, but Reflex is always valuable, so I wouldn't dump it arbitrarily. Still, if you want INT or CHA (probably because you're doing Outwit), you can probably stop boosting DEX after the first boost.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Epi Lepi posted:

Whatever the max dex bonus of the heaviest armor you can wear is. Usually that means 12 for medium armor types, but a case can be made for 14 if you want to do occasional ranged attacks or something, and you can’t find a use for putting those two points into Charisma for some reason or whatever.

In general, for all characters, if you’re not using Dexterity for attack rolls, you should stop at the max dex bonus for whatever the heaviest armor you can wear is. If that means heavy armor, then by all means stop at 10 because that’s what Bulwark is for.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Thank you, just hit lvl 5 and initially took Dex from 14 to 16, but wanted to be sure it was worth it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Epi Lepi posted:

Thank you, just hit lvl 5 and initially took Dex from 14 to 16, but wanted to be sure it was worth it.

Yeah, 16 Dex on a Str ranger almost certainly not a priority choice. Assuming 3 of your other boosts are Str/Con/Wis (they should be), you're basically choosing between:

+1 Reflex (already your best save remember) and +1 to dex based skills
+1 to Int based skills, and another whole trained skill (IMO this is usually the best choice at 5)
or
+1 to Cha based skills (which, IMO, Deception/Intimidate are probably the two best/most important skill rolls to keep high and sharp from a pure combat charop perspective so...)

I'd usually go Int or Cha, but Dex isn't horribly wrong at that point. The big thing is that at character creation, 12 is best, and 14 is fine and 16 is extremely questionable.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
One thing I'm not digging so much in reading the Lost Omens World Guide: it seems like there are a metric ton of cool adventure hooks... that were resolved by some random group of heroes a few years ago. I assume these are references to older APs, and yeah, it's easy enough to just ignore the "and then a brave band of heroes stopped this threat and saved the day" ending and treat it s still an active threat, but it's not exactly super thrilling to read.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GimpInBlack posted:

One thing I'm not digging so much in reading the Lost Omens World Guide: it seems like there are a metric ton of cool adventure hooks... that were resolved by some random group of heroes a few years ago. I assume these are references to older APs, and yeah, it's easy enough to just ignore the "and then a brave band of heroes stopped this threat and saved the day" ending and treat it s still an active threat, but it's not exactly super thrilling to read.

Yeah, without looking at it in depth or at any specific examples, I'd guess that it's just the nature of making 2e a followup to 1e instead of doing the D&D thing and completely redoing the entire cosmology between editions.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Can someone explain rangers to me? I'm curious but my only experience with rangers for the last five years has been the 5e incredibly lame version.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Rangers are pretty much nature themed martials. Their gimmick is hunting down specific targets with their Hunt Prey action, which makes it easier to track their prey while also being able to hit them from a longer distance. Their hunter's edge modifies the prey, which allows certain builds like blendering your prey with a flurry of attacks, hitting your prey with deliberate precise attacks which your animal companion (if you take one!) can also take advantage of or demoralizing an deceiving your prety while becoming harder to hit for them.

Rangers support a variety of weapon fighting styles depending on the edges. You can go for a ranged build or run around smacking baddies with a big hammer. Ranger feats builds on those particular weapon styles.
Other Ranger feats allow you to craft and place snares, cast warden focus spells or have an animal companion that you can later mount!

Rangers are pretty good and a far cry from the mediocre ones in 5e.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

GimpInBlack posted:

The 2e campaign setting assumes all previous APs happened already, so there have to be references to adventurers accomplishing the challenges presented by the APs.

Feb 2, 2005
Is the beginners box a good buy for someone with a good deal of 5E experience who wants to dip into Pathfinder? Or would I be better off with the core book?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Quote posted:

Is the beginners box a good buy for someone with a good deal of 5E experience who wants to dip into Pathfinder? Or would I be better off with the core book?

The adventure in the Beginner's Box teaches you how the system works as you play through it and has all the stuff you need to start and since all of the rules content from the CRB is available online for free you can just look rules stuff up as needed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Quote posted:

Get the Beginner Box. It's real good.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kvantum posted:

The 2e campaign setting assumes all previous APs happened already, so there have to be references to adventurers accomplishing the challenges presented by the APs.

On the plus side, this means that if you see one of those hooks that you like, you can probably pick up a first-edition adventure path or module about it and use the story of it as a basis for a campaign even if a direct conversion doesn't work well.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah, 16 Dex on a Str ranger almost certainly not a priority choice. Assuming 3 of your other boosts are Str/Con/Wis (they should be), you're basically choosing between:

+1 Reflex (already your best save remember) and +1 to dex based skills
+1 to Int based skills, and another whole trained skill (IMO this is usually the best choice at 5)
or
+1 to Cha based skills (which, IMO, Deception/Intimidate are probably the two best/most important skill rolls to keep high and sharp from a pure combat charop perspective so...)

I'd usually go Int or Cha, but Dex isn't horribly wrong at that point. The big thing is that at character creation, 12 is best, and 14 is fine and 16 is extremely questionable.

Decided to up Int instead and take crafting as my character just pissed off the remaining blacksmith in town so we're going to need someone to help install and transfer weapons runes.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

How long is the Beginner's Box? 5e's LMOP goes to about level 5 and has a solid town, a couple of decent dungeons and sidequests.

Apparently the Beginner's Box ends at level 2 already, and should be followed up with Troubles in Otari and then Abomination Vaults?

That sounds a bit short to me for the Beginner's Box to me, but maybe I'm comparing it wrong?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Rythian posted:

How long is the Beginner's Box? 5e's LMOP goes to about level 5 and has a solid town, a couple of decent dungeons and sidequests.

Apparently the Beginner's Box ends at level 2 already, and should be followed up with Troubles in Otari and then Abomination Vaults?

That sounds a bit short to me for the Beginner's Box to me, but maybe I'm comparing it wrong?

Nah, that's exactly right. It took my group of TTRPG neophytes 4 sessions to get through it, and since then we've been running Abomination Vaults. That said, it's a fun adventure that does a lot to introduce the mechanics of Pathfinder 2e to the players, so I thought it was worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Fall of Plaguestone is a pretty good self-contained starter adventure that goes from 1st-3rd (and 4th by the end), though you might want to bump down the difficulties of the fights a little for true newbies (the easy way is just adjusting enemy numbers by -1 or -2 across the board). It's got a nice mix of light investigation stuff in a small town (with a bunch of pretty flavorful NPCs), a pair of small dungeon maps, and a decent number of encounters designed to encourage use of various skills. It also works well for some thematic toe-dipping in a bunch of different areas, with ghosts, orcs, weird abominations, magic animals, small-town weirdos, a really depressed sad-sack paladin, a side jaunt where the PCs can help refurbish an old temple, etc etc, so there's lot of stuff to play off new characters against when it comes to getting a feel for the game.