Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
PREMIERING ON NETFLIX, NOVEMBER 17, 2022

Created by Jantje Friese & Baran bo Odar, the premise, according to Netflix, "Passengers on an immigrant ship traveling to the new continent get caught in a mysterious riddle when they find a second vessel adrift on the open sea."

First official trailer for Season 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulOOON_KYHs&t=8s

FINAL TRAILER FOR SEASON 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OUQ9U2qIw

Here's an article from early august on the show
EW article from late September

quote:

In the compelling new series from Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese (Dark), passengers aboard a migrant ship bound for New York City encounter a chilling sight that changes the course of their journey.
It’s the end of the 1800s and a migrant steamship leaves the old continent for New York City. On board is an eclectic set of passengers with different national origins, personal stories, and haunting pasts. Their desire for a fresh start in a new country and century unites them, but their dreams of new beginnings become unmoored when they discover the Prometheus, a lost ship that has been missing for months, adrift at sea.

Where has the Prometheus been? How did it get off course? And, most importantly, where are all the passengers? These are the questions that German co-creators Jantje Friese and Baran bo Odar (Dark, TIFF 2017) pose to their audience at the beginning of 1899, their newest breathtaking and enigmatic series. Friese and bo Odar, in some ways, steer through familiar waters. Like with Dark, they’ll leave a set of clues — symbols, numbers, and dates — as they create stunning, shadowy visuals with cinematographer Nikolaus Summerer. Although they welcome back a familiar face to the screen with Andreas Pietschmann (Dark), all the other elements of the series are novel and make for an unexpected journey, with new pawns and a whole new board.

There are brilliant, critically acclaimed series, and there are “water-cooler” series, binged by millions worldwide. 1899 has the exciting potential to be both; a new, nightmarish obsession for both fans and critics alike.

Not much else is known currently, if you like DARK I'm sure this will be just as captivating. The show will be debuting at the TIFF in September

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Awesome, didn't know this was basically done. Dark for me was a TV experience like Lost/Twin Peaks, just got completely engrossed in the mystery and the world.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress yes I can't wait.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dark was extremely good so I am excited for this

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

1899 debuts today at the TIFF noon PST. So we should be getting some advanced reviews here shortly. I'll post them up as soon as I can find them online.

The series has 8 episodes, and they are showing roughly 2 hours of the show at the TIFF, so I'm assuming they are premiering the first 2 episodes. Exciting stuff.

Edit: Looks like today is the world premier. Netflix just released the official poster, should be some early reviews later this evening.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 13, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like this is coming out on November 17. This would have been great for Halloween, oh well.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Updated the main post with some recent press on the show. Some unofficial reviews of people who saw the first 2 episodes are very promising.

This feels like it's going to be something pretty special.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

The official trailer dropped today, and it's amazing. You can watch it here.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OUQ9U2qIw

November 17th can't get here soon enough.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man I want this now.

Now!

Do we reckon it's a virus or time poo poo or a monster flick or what?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Man, it's so fun to hear so many different languages!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do we reckon it's a virus or time poo poo or a monster flick or what?

A Difference Engine became sentient and evil.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

13 days til the release. Lots of good press out about it. All episodes look to release on Nov. 17th. I'll get all the episode titles and character pictures up in the OP soon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Hopefully this one doesn't require a Pepe Silvia map to keep track of all the characters and subplots... who am I kidding, it totally will.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Hopefully this one doesn't require a Pepe Silvia map to keep track of all the characters and subplots... who am I kidding, it totally will.

I hope the opposite of you and am excited.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Show looks great, kind of surprised it is getting a bulk release, it seemed like one of those shows that would get people eager to come back each week for more.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'm only partway through the first season of Dark, but I'm very excited to get around to whatever this is going to be once I'm done with the show.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Show looks great, kind of surprised it is getting a bulk release, it seemed like one of those shows that would get people eager to come back each week for more.

I think that’s just the way Netflix releases their shows no? I know other streaming places often staggers but I think Netflix usually does all at once

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It varies, they split The Mole across a couple-few weeks for example.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It still takes pretty extraordinary circumstances to get Netflix to release anything other than all at once. Like a reality show, or being Stranger Things.

Anyway I haven’t watched any of these trailers because I just know this is going to rule real hard and I want to go in as blind as I can

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What I find interesting is the trailers aren't giving away pretty much anything at all. They're really keeping the concept back on this one, pretty much just indicating a tone and a location.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Reviews for this will start coming out Friday. I'll post links this weekend and update the OP w/ character pictures.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate your commitment to the OP experience

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We should be getting some reviews out today! 6 days til release...

We got our first review that I could find. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2022/11/11/1899-netflix-review-odd-mix-black-mirror-titanic-goes-truly/

"1899, Netflix review: this odd mix of Black Mirror and Titanic goes to truly mind-bending places"

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 11, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

First episode felt a little off at first, despite the high production values, I don't know what it is but everything with all the various character introductions just felt weirdly artificial. But the back half from when they spot the ship to boarding it and finding everything all hosed up I felt got very strong.

There is a moment in an early scene though I thought was wonderfully creepy, where all the 1st Class Passengers take a drink at exactly the same time, completely uncommented on or seemingly noticed by anybody else.

I'm gonna take my time and watch this an episode at a time, it doesn't feel like the kind of show I want to binge.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Someone needs to ban White Rabbit.

Edit: oh ship, that's Emily Beecham. She better do a loving high kick or this show is RUINED FOREVER.

(No but seriously, she's a good actor who spent several years on the very silly but surprisingly well cast Into The Badlands, and she really sold her fight choreo.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 17, 2022

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
I watched the first episode of Manifest last week and it was really lame. Now this looks better....

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
must be a slow news day if “ship is still missing after four months” is the main headline

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Really bad review in the Guardian for the show as well unfortunately

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ep 2.

I've watched too much TV and now I can spot a psycho gay at twenty paces.

That these flashbacks aren't just hallucinations, but seem to be physically altering the structure of the ship is very cool.

I do not enjoy these bugs, no I do not.

Wish they'd stop getting Jefferson Airplane on my Ben Frost.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Watched episode 1. It was okay. I like ships, so I might watch more. The captain is intriguingly brooding and mysterious.

Jerusalem posted:

First episode felt a little off at first, despite the high production values, I don't know what it is but everything with all the various character introductions just felt weirdly artificial.

You're probably not as stupid as I am but I watched the first 15 minutes not realising I was watching the dub. Some people's lips matched their words, others didn't and I thought eh? the hell is this. It wasn't until the doctor went to save the pregnant lady I realised because the girl was clearly the only one understanding her that I realised and switched it. It was a lot easier to watch from there. I don't understand why people watch live action dubs, so I forget they are a thing.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Someone needs to ban White Rabbit.

Yeah when this kicked in my goodwill towards the show plummeted. Not just a song from the future, but one of the most cliche songs you could pick. It would've been much better to just use some spooky original score for that sequence. When a show makes a choice like that it makes me think they aren't trying very hard, so neither should I.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 17, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

roomtone posted:

I don't understand why people watch live action dubs, so I forget they are a thing.

Oof, thank goodness I didn't watch that version, I don't think I would have made it 10 minutes.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

First episode felt a little off at first, despite the high production values, I don't know what it is but everything with all the various character introductions just felt weirdly artificial.

Everything is off about the setting and I guess we'll learn exactly what and how later on.

Even though these are ships in the Atlantic they are completely motionless when stopped. Even a passing remark on how the wind stopped cannot explain this, before they encountered the Prometheus it was already an unnaturally steady ship. The end of episode 2 suggests there is indeed something else going on

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
E4 non-spoiler probably but if you told me this is a stealth prequel/sequel/whatever to Dark I would 100% believe it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
After episode 1 I am hooked, but also don't think I would be quite so excited if I hadn't obsessively watched Dark.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Having finished it my thoughts are mostly the same as they were after six episodes. Well-crafted but lacks the nuances which made Dark a masterpiece.

gently caress marketing and change the name for S2, no “2099: An 1899 Story” bullshit either

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hope I'm not gonna regret watching this as much as I did the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Dark.

First episode was intriguing but the writing felt more like an FMV game at times.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ep 5 was the best so far. Getting appropriately wild

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Dark s2 was really good still!!

3 was fine

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey Dark s2 was really good still!!

3 was fine

S2 was 4 episodes worth of good content stretched to 8 and S3 began with what felt like a giant middle finger to the audience
LOL you thought we gonna resolve poo poo, parallel universe binch!
both seasons I forced myself to watch because I'm a completionist weirdo, I wish I had even half the fun you evidently had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I don’t know, it worked for me. alternate universe Winden was necessary to establish the opposition. But it was definitely a slow start after the events of S2.