Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Meowywitch posted:

drat are Scrapper and Holosmith just mid compared to Mech?

Holosmith got a buff recently for instanced content. It remains a somewhat lackluster option in open world due to needing to be in melee + not being that bulky + heat mechanics being somewhat clunky in map content. Can still do well if you like, just kind of needs way more brain power/gets kind of hosed in metas/world bosses where you can't avoid damage easily.

Scrapper's still perfectly fine, requires slightly more button presses, its main flaw is that it wants to be in melee for maximum damage, even with flamethrower variants. But it is the absolute best of the 3 engineers for tagging purposes (technically holo is better if you're trying really hard but who wants to do that over hours of grind??), so it remains your go-to over mech for stuff like drizzlewood if you need spirit shards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Meeko posted:

Scrapper ... But it is the absolute best of the 3 engineers for tagging purposes

I've not played scrapper, but this seems unlikely - what makes it better than rifle mech mashing tab/1/2?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

..btt posted:

I've not played scrapper, but this seems unlikely - what makes it better than rifle mech mashing tab/1/2?

Gyros, mostly. They both have access to Rifle or Flamethrower, to taste, so the question becomes "what auxiliary functionality makes them superior at tagging?" Mech gets dumb pet AI with slow auto attacking speed & slow movement speed (ranged mech is complete garbage for tagging, still slow and only hits one target), Scrapper gets Gyros (Shredder & Blast being the big two) and Superspeed. Plus, Function Gyro to quickly pick up five idiots and speed things along. Stealth Gyro also has some nice utility for scooping up gathering nodes or Istan boxes without getting into combat. Lastly, you can pretty easily go full Diviner's to poo poo out superspeed and quickness all around you, which speeds up any meta - the best that Mech can do in comparison is Alacrity, which doesn't work nearly as well for random people/is the inferior boon for DPS gains (and unlike Scrapper who can just go Full Diviners & 5 Gyros Nyoom, in order to get max Alacrity uptime you need to use Mace which is an inferior tagging weapon).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Oh yeah, I know the general things scrapper can do, but I was under the impression you wanted to use mace, not rifle. In that sense there's nothing to stop mech equipping flame thrower... though there's little reason to when using rifle. The ranged mech abilities do aoe btw. As do rifle attacks. Pierce goes a long way when tagging.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

where the red fern gropes posted:

try this one https://discord.gg/KYSeTypF4x

discord is certainly Coded in some manner

this one worked! tyvm!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I have a question on Elite Specializations.

Should I hold off on them until I get enough Hero Points to unlock all the traits in the spec?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Nah, it's best to jump into them right away. Might even be easier to learn them by getting parts little-by-little. And if you're like me, the anticipation of unlocking the next tier is exciting.

For the most part, you're gonna get a somewhat functional spec early on, since you get one full row of traits a few unlocks in.

It does depend on the spec how "usable" they are without being fully unlocked, though, especially those that are reliant on the elite skill or particular utilities/traits that are far down.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I have a question on Elite Specializations.

Should I hold off on them until I get enough Hero Points to unlock all the traits in the spec?

There are a couple that you want to make sure you can unlock the first two things on, like Virtuoso. I swapped to it as soon as I had it unlocked without any additional points, and I kept my regular clones but lost my F1 skill until I was able to get enough points to unlock the first minor trait.

I think Scourge was the same, I lost my shroud but couldn't actually create shades.

Basically, make sure you can unlock the first minor trait before you swap, everything after that can come later. It'll be more difficult than unlocking it all at once, but it's still fun to get something new finally and start playing with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meeko posted:

Gyros, mostly.

chef supremacy I see

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Goofing around with chatgpt having it make pokemon & eeveelutions and on a whim asked it to come up with bow based ele elite class:

ChatGPT Response:
Stormbow Ranger

The Stormbow Ranger elite specialization for the Elementalist profession focuses on ranged combat and lightning magic. Stormbow Rangers channel the power of the elements through their bow, imbuing their arrows with elemental energy and striking down their enemies from a safe distance.

Weapon: Stormbow

The Stormbow is a longbow that harnesses the power of the elements. Stormbow Rangers can imbue their arrows with different elemental effects depending on their attunement:

Fire Attunement: Arrows become engulfed in flames, dealing extra burning damage and setting enemies on fire.
Water Attunement: Arrows become frozen, dealing extra damage to chilled or frozen enemies and slowing them down.
Air Attunement: Arrows become electrified, dealing extra damage to enemies and stunning them for a short duration.
Earth Attunement: Arrows become infused with earth magic, dealing extra damage and knocking enemies down.
Mechanics: Arcane Shots

Stormbow Rangers use a new mechanic called Arcane Shots, which are powerful magical arrows that have unique effects depending on their type:

Flame Shot: Fires an arrow that explodes on impact, dealing area of effect damage and leaving a fiery ground effect that burns enemies who stand in it.
Ice Shot: Fires an arrow that shatters on impact, dealing area of effect damage and chilling or freezing enemies who are hit.
Lightning Shot: Fires an arrow that chains to nearby enemies, dealing damage and inflicting a short duration of vulnerability.
Stone Shot: Fires an arrow that embeds itself in the ground, creating a small barrier that blocks enemies and projectiles.
Arcane Shots have a cooldown and require a certain amount of initiative to use. Initiative is a new resource that Stormbow Rangers use to power their skills. Stormbow Rangers have a pool of initiative that they can use to perform quick, powerful attacks and maneuvers.

Traits:

Some potential traits for the Stormbow Ranger elite specialization might include:

Arcane Archer: Increases the damage and duration of Arcane Shots, and reduces their initiative cost.
Thundering Strikes: Increases critical strike chance and critical hit damage while wielding a Stormbow and using lightning magic.
Swift Hunter: Increases movement speed and reduces the cooldown of movement skills while wielding a Stormbow.
Elemental Fury: Increases the damage and duration of elemental weapon effects, and reduces the cooldown of weapon attunements.
These are just some ideas for a Stormbow Ranger elite specialization for the Elementalist profession in Guild Wars 2. The actual implementation of an elite specialization would depend on a variety of factors, including balance considerations and the overall design goals of the game.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tambaloneus posted:

Goofing around with chatgpt having it make pokemon & eeveelutions and on a whim asked it to come up with bow based ele elite class:

ChatGPT Response:
Stormbow Ranger

the designer dev who left tossed around his idea of a bow-themed ele spec called Starcaller, so chatgpt is eerily close to the mark here

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Giving another non-thief initiative? Seems legit

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My dream Ele (aside from the total rework that I want) would be dual Pistol or Rifle.

Magical guns are so much fun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

where the red fern gropes posted:

the designer dev who left tossed around his idea of a bow-themed ele spec called Starcaller, so chatgpt is eerily close to the mark here

Ele already has a bow and it's one of the better bows available in the game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

My dream Ele (aside from the total rework that I want) would be dual Pistol or Rifle.

Magical guns are so much fun.

Dual pistols, but instead of normal attunements it's something like the Harbinger shroud where the longer you stay with a given element the more damage you do. Or maybe add in Arcane as a new elemental attunement type instead of a skill type?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Reminder that the black lion turn-in swapped over to week 2 and one of the offers is 250 unbound magic instead of valuable materials.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZBEMuiTITw

Yes, ha ha ha, yes!

Lonk fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2023

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Reminder that the black lion turn-in swapped over to week 2 and one of the offers is 250 unbound magic instead of valuable materials.

Ohh nice ty for the reminder

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

huh I think i want to play mesmer for a bit. Dual staff mirage seems dope for just farming open world stuff, and virtuoso looks like a nice easy built to pilot for fractals

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Here's my Tyrian Jim Cramer analysis

Jade Runestones have tripled in price from their all time low before the jp change. I'm not sure what their new, real pricepoint will be, considering they're basically only used for gen3 legendaries. I would think they'd want the price to stabilize around 1g to match icy runestones. But hey, we're just starting not-LWS6 so who knows what kind of map specific recipes they'll come up with that might require them? If its just the gen3 and variants, I could see the price hovering around 1g because otherwise you're adding more than 66g to the cost of a legendary and 130g to any variant skin.

Mystic Coins will go back up to 1g+ within the next few weeks easily. If people want a legendary for the free equipment slot, it'll end up being cheaper than whatever is going on with gen3

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Are Norn the only race that the new tattoo packs look even semi ok on :/

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

A new variant also launched, and people are trying to hoard them.

I don't imagine that jade runestones stay at 1g for long. Higher price encourages more people to park 1 alt at the spot, there's other sources of them that are a bit more inconvenient but not by much, and the demand for them is somewhat more limited than mystic coins ever were. Plus people are gated by rear end, ambergis, and memories of aurene, which limits how fast jadestones can be consumed.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Gonna go out on a limb and say that gating Fishing (but not the skiff, for some reason??) behind story progress was a real bad idea. New players can't get into it without some massive spoilers by having to complete the first chapter in EOD.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Who’s fishing but not doing the EoD story?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that gating Fishing (but not the skiff, for some reason??) behind story progress was a real bad idea. New players can't get into it without some massive spoilers by having to complete the first chapter in EOD.

you have to do chapter 1 to get to seitung to do the heart to get the skiff (and all the core zones have such high fishing difficulty that doing them without fishing masteries is unnecessarily masochistic)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You can get to Seitung using a boat in the guild hall actually, before starting the story (or a teleport to friend).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You can get a skiff and fishing very, very early into EoD, there is just almost 0 point to bother until you max out the fishing masteries for all the passive bonuses.

Speaking of fishing, if you are doing Gyala once a day you can add another 20g to your daily gains there if you go to the cavern fish past the boss when the boss fight begins, use up the 2 cavern fish with shrimplings + whitefish sushi and then when you go back to finish the boss fight the 2 fishing holes should be back up after the boss is dead, it's 4 fishing spots per day there so that saves you having to repeat the meta for the big fish payout.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

how long does it take to get a flying mount?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Griffon is PoF story + mildly long collection + 250g.

Skyscale is Season 4 completed + the longest collectathon in the game.

Siege turtle is EoD story + short collection for a very mild hovering that looks like flying if you squint hard enough.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mercury_Storm posted:

To get anything out of fishing you need max fishing/skiff masteries to begin with, not to mention EoD-specific traders and a buff, so it's not like you'd gain a whole lot from low-level fishing even if fishing didn't require a super high fishing level in core zones. I guess there's the new post-meta fishing but that's a notlivingworld map for the EoD expansion anyway.

On spoilers: At this point, as a new player myself, I think the healthiest thing to enjoy the story and not sour on the slow start of the game itself is to think of the content you skip as a series of prequels. The personal story (and PoF) already heavily assume GW1 knowledge so it's not like you have a perfectly clear picture to begin with. Get your raptor free at level 10, get your glider and springer free from EoD, snag your elite spec of choice from expansion HPs, then just dive into whatever you want. Anything confusing just chalk it up to a mystery you'll solve eventually.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Griffon is PoF story + mildly long collection + 250g.

Skyscale is Season 4 completed + the longest collectathon in the game.

Siege turtle is EoD story + short collection for a very mild hovering that looks like flying if you squint hard enough.

Is Skyscale really the most time investment?
I got it and it was a pain but it was manageable. Also did the Return achievement (which helped along the way).

I've put off making a Legendary because folks have said it takes the longest and is the most expensive thing to do.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I just made my first legendary! It made sense to me to do Ad Infinitum, since I enjoy fractals anyway, and back items seem to be the hardest to get. IT definitely took a couple months and a ton of gold. The nice thing is that the community is really supportive. I could pretty easily get on LFG and have a group in a couple minutes willing to do whatever random fractals I needed. So my advice is, find a legendary that matches the content you already like doing, and go about it piece by piece. Find out if there are any time-sensitive aspects, and get those started. It really does add up once it really gets rolling.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good to know. I run Fracs routinely enough that getting the backpack makes sense.

I was in a T4 and we decided to get the Mai Trin challenge complete but I don't have that collection unlocked yet.

Ugh.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Go for it! I can't speak for the others, but as far as Ad Infinitum goes, there's not much that's actually difficult, there's just a lot to do. There are a few things you'll want to make sure you have a decent stockpile of:

Fractal Relics
Stabilising Matrices
Fractal Research Pages
Clovers

If you've been doing fractals, you've been getting tons of relics, matrices and pages. I'd sold most of the matrices for cash, which I don't ultimately regret, but it did set me back. Clovers are tough to get. I was lucky enough that I got to the last day of my login rewards cycle the day before I started the final tier of Ad Inf, so I picked clovers for that one. You're also going to need a lot of gold. You could probably farm everything needed, but I tend to be very easy-come-easy-go on the inventory. not big on stockpiling. I think on the last day, when I was just crafting the Gifts needed to forge the thing, I spent over 90 gold. Luckily, doing Ad Inf means you're doing fractals a lot, and getting a poo poo ton of gold.

The next thing I churned through was the Spinal Blades backpack, which honestly was on more of a drip feed than Ad Inf.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Now that you essentially get all the LW materials for free by doing the Return achievements, the worst part of getting Skyscale is the back to back scavenger hunts on Dragonfall.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Well, customer support hosed up.

They reimbursed me for a wrong item that I bought (bought the exotic version of triumphant armor instead of the ascended one), and instead of giving me back 175 wvw tickets and 250 memories of battle, they gave me 10075 tickets and 250 memories of battle. They mail from them contained a stack of 100 ticket items and another of 75. The each item on the 75er stack translated into a single ticket, each item in the 100er stack translated into 100 tickets :v:

Time to buy all the legendary armor!

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Oh god im going to quit this game again in a short while because they took away my long-term goal...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bank error in your favor, goddamn.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Dammmmnmn! Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nektu posted:

Well, customer support hosed up.

They reimbursed me for a wrong item that I bought (bought the exotic version of triumphant armor instead of the ascended one), and instead of giving me back 175 wvw tickets and 250 memories of battle, they gave me 10075 tickets and 250 memories of battle. They mail from them contained a stack of 100 ticket items and another of 75. The each item on the 75er stack translated into a single ticket, each item in the 100er stack translated into 100 tickets :v:

Time to buy all the legendary armor!

Please RNJesus I have been so good and yet you won't even give me a precursor.

I curse your name!