Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You'll never actually drown your enemies in a swimming pool, flip real estate, build a charming farm, or clean your house. That's why you play life sims.

What are we talking about? Stardew Valley, Slime Rancher, Powerwash Simulator, House Flipper, and of course The Sims. Games that, one way and another, let you create tiny worlds with tiny stories. Games that let you fix communities, or destroy them in interesting ways.

Some current examples:

Animal Crossing (all versions). Invite animals to your tiny town/island, build them houses, plant gardens, and pay off your mortgage. The smash hit of the pandemic years. If you didn't play it, you felt like you had, because all your friends wouldn't shut up about it. Has its own thread.

House Flipper. Buy trashed houses, clean, paint, and furnish them, and sell them on to the next sucker. All the satisfaction of cleaning up, none of the responsibility for rising house prices.

Mr. Prepper. The apocalypse finally happened, and you're just trying to get by in your underground bunker. Be ready for regular visits from the secret police.

My Time at Portia. Farm, fight, and fabricate. Unbelievably beautiful; I've stopped whatever quest I was on just to watch the sun set. Sequel My Time at Sandrock is in Early Access as of August 2022.

Powerwash Simulator. See something dirty? Hit it with a hose and it'll get clean. Ridiculously satisfying.

The Sims. Build houses, decorate them, build characters, decorate them, and then watch them set each other on fire. First released in 2000; according to the Guinness World Records of 2017, the best-selling PC game series of all time. The Sims 4 has its own thread.

Story of Seasons/Harvest Moon/Rune Factory. The grandmamma of the farming sim; has changed names and devs several times. Thread here.

Slime Rancher. Capture adorably squishy wild animals, farm them for poop, sell the poop, buy supplies. Sequel Slime Rancher II will enter Early Access in Fall 2022.

Stardew Valley. Build a farm, fight monsters in caves, and provide unpaid therapy to a whole bunch of town residents. Make friends, marry them, divorce them, and turn your children into birds. I'm (gulp) almost 1700 hours in. Has its own thread. Stardew-adjacent Haunted Chocolatier is in development, but will, per ConcernedApe, be "more of an action RPG".

This genre has a significant overlap with management sims, which focus on building economies: games like Banished or Rimworld can fit in either category, depending on who's drawing the lines. One way to draw the line is that management games are sims, but with a focus on production efficiency. The Management Games Megathread is over here, but it's fine if a game is discussed both places.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Reserved for expansion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I keep buying all of these that come out and then just playing Stardew Valley again. I am making a rule that I'm not allowed to touch my modlist now until at least winter of year 1 so that I don't add yet another 'played for 14 days, discovered new mod, started over' save to the pile.

Currently eyeballing Cozy Grove. But I still play Animal Crossing at least an hour every day, I don't know if I need another commitment like that in my life. On the other hand, perhaps it plays on the Deck.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is a story of season/rune factory thread as well that can probably be thrown into the op

i hope harvestella ends up good, its another one like rune factory that leans more into rpg stuff. they showed it off some more at the treehouse live but i haven't gotten around to watching this yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yk9MIdWQLk

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I keep buying all of these that come out and then just playing Stardew Valley again. I am making a rule that I'm not allowed to touch my modlist now until at least winter of year 1 so that I don't add yet another 'played for 14 days, discovered new mod, started over' save to the pile.

Currently eyeballing Cozy Grove. But I still play Animal Crossing at least an hour every day, I don't know if I need another commitment like that in my life. On the other hand, perhaps it plays on the Deck.
I played Cozy Grove to the end of the story, and honestly it got pretty grindy toward the end. The ghost stories you're telling are a lot of fun, though, and the dark humor is fabulous.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cool new thread!

So I've been wondering for a while and I figured folks interested in this thread would know:

Is Dinkum good?

It looks really good, but I'm not sure how the animal crossing gameplay would feel in not-real-time. If you can just go to bed for the next day, but there's no seasonal pressure like Stardew, I feel like there's a lot of times you'd want to just go to bed a bunch of times in a row to progress things, which feels bad. I also wonder about these early access games. I feel like it'd be easy to get burnt out on something like this before all the content is in.

I've got a friend I'd like to coop it with. Anyone got coop experience with it in its current form?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 30, 2022

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Thank you for starting this thread, Arsenic!

As promised, I'm going to do a big post on my favorite type of Life Sim games: Growing Up games.

Alter Ego is probably the grand-daddy of all of them. Written in 1986, you take a person through their entire life, Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style. Choices made alter your stats, your stats change which choices are available to you, and you get the thrill of living vicariously exactly the life you would have chosen, assuming that the game designer wrote those options into the game and you figure out the stat thresholds you need to hit to achieve it. The link in the title is to free version on the web; you can also buy it on Steam for $8.

But really, Princess Maker 2 is the classic that really defined the genre in the West and most Growing Up games structure themselves like. You are a heroic adventurer who has saved the world! We actually don't care about that, and your adventures and the skills and talents you used to save the world are never spoken of or relevant again. But! Because you saved the world, the Goddess of Light has decided that when she bequeaths her daughter to the world, you will be the one tasked to raise her.

So, essentially, a 10 year old girl is dropped on your doorstep and it's up to you to decide what skills she'll learn and stats she'll develop by scheduling classes and jobs for her. And you have to schedule jobs for her, because it turns out being the hero who saved the world pays jack poo poo and you can't even afford to feed her on your salary, so she has to earn her own keep. Classes and jobs increase some stats while reducing others (can't be Refined when you've spent the day mucking stables), so the core strategy is determining which stats you want to zero out first so that she no longer loses points there, and then moving her on to new jobs that zero out different stats. Along the way, you can send her off on JPRG adventures, where she does about as well as an 10 year old girl you've handed a wooden sword to does. You'll also have to manage her stress - if she doesn't have enough time off, she'll rebel and run away.

Once she turns 18, you get a review of what she's learned and find out what her eventual career will be and who she'll marry. Did you turn her into a Princess by making her a soft, delicate goddess of manners who married the Prince? Or did you turn her into a Princess by making her a cold, hard, buff Goddess of War who married the Devil and took the royal crown by force? Or did you gently caress up a lot and she ends up as a librarian in some podunk town, married to someone who isn't interesting or famous but makes her happy, like some kind of loser?

It's a weird, fun game but has some serious Japanese Otaku elements that you have to choose to ignore, like the fact that you can buy pills specifically to make her breasts bigger, or sexy clothes for her to wear, or that one of the jobs she can get at 16 is Sexy Dancer, or that you can maneuver her into marrying you when she turns 18 because that's somehow romantic in 90s anime style instead of creepy as gently caress. You can go through the whole game not engaging with any of those things and not lose out on anything, but they exist.

The linked version is to the latest translation and release of the game; it originally came out in the early 90s in Japan and only really got a fan port over to English-language versions, and was largely available only as :filez:. Despite that, it was pretty popular, and even has a great Let's Play put together by SynthButtrange (which shows the aforementioned Otaku stuff solely to mock it).

The game had sequels in Princess Maker 3, 4, and 5, but none of those got the fan port that 2 did, and so none of them were nearly as popular over here. The gameplay changes a lot between each game, and I can't comment on how good or fun any of them are.

Ciel Fledge: A Daughter Raising Simulator is probably the closest modern game, mechanics-wise, to Princess Maker 2, but it eschews the Japanese misogynistic weirdness of sexualizing your daughter and instead embraces the Japanese anime weirdness of living on a giant flying city-mecha because indestructible kaiju roam the lands below.

In the most recent battle with that kaiju, a 10 year old girl was found as a lone survivor. You aren't any world-saving hero this time around, but you're tasked with raising her and helping her cope with the trauma of being the lone survivor of her destroyed city, and the complete amnesia around her previous life.

Once again you have to schedule your daughter's activities, and once again you have to choose schoolwork and jobs because the government handed you a young girl to raise without doing anything about making sure you could afford it. This time, there's no downside to jobs and classes - they all give you stat bonuses and no stat losses - but you have to play a tile matching mini-game with each one and doing badly at the mini-game can mean doing badly in the class. Balance taking time off to reduce her stress with keeping her workload high so that she qualifies for better and better classes, and help her navigate friendships with a dozen other characters in town, and setting her up for success in the obvious eventually showdown with the Kaiju that destroyed everything she once had. And once that Kaiju is vanquished, what life does Ciel live? That all depends upon the skills she learned, the friends she made, and how many times you hosed up that stupid goddamned minigame.

It's a fun game, though much more grindy than Princess Maker 2 was, and suffers in that it was clearly released in episodes to keep Early Access buzz going, so there are a couple of big "oh no! cliffhanger moment!!!!" transitions that are more awkward than enjoyable, but over all, it's a very solid game if you're looking for something that lets you explore what it would be like to be a background character in a 1990s Giant Robot vs. Giant Monster anime.

Growing Up changes the format a bit, but is a great addition to the genre. Unlike the other Princess Maker 2-esque games here, it's not a fantasy or science fiction; the setting is America in the 1990s with all of the bright pastels, Rachel haircuts, and plaid skirt/doc martins combos you'd expect. Also, you're not guiding some poor kid who landed on your door to success - it's now your own life you're living, from birth up until graduating high school.

The gameplay mechanics are pretty straightforward- as with other games, you're spending limited slots and points on activities to represent classes and time off, developing your traits based on what you choose (study science to get smarter, or play with animals to become more empathetic). Learning new skills and mastering those skills give bonuses to those stats, so it's fine to be a jack of all trades or a very focused master of one, and exploring the town and building relationships with other characters can open new locations where you can learn new skills (find out about the club to learn music! Get a season pass to the galleria to learn about art!). Maneuver through life and awkward awkward teenage drama and romance and find out what life you could have lived and what your adult like will look like.

The other characters are probably this game's biggest selling point. There are a bunch of adults who are the same from game to game, and a dozen different characters your age who will grow up with you - but you'll only meet two or three of those kids each run, so there's a lot of replayability to learn about new people and their stories. The writing is great, and the music is outstanding - though it's very modern indie rather than appropriate to the '90s setting.

Finally for this huge post, there's I Was A Teenage Exocolonist, which came out only last week. It's - pun intended - stellar if you want a great "growing up" game. You are a young child in a hippie commune which is fleeing the devastated post-climate-change Earth for the promise of a new life on a planet discovered on the other side of a wormhole. While traveling through the wormhole, you stumble and hit your head, opening your mind to all of the various possibilities of your life that the universe has (and thus letting you skip events or completely short-circuit them on later playthroughs because your character knows what's going to happen!)

Like all of the other games, every time period you choose an activity to do which increases stats, hang out and give gifts to friends to increase relationships with them, and spend ten years growing up on another planet to find out what your destined job will be and what happens to all of your friends. A number of things make this game really stand out in comparison to the others, though.

First, the central game mechanic is a very well done card playing game - you draw cards from your deck, and have to figure out how to arrange them to make as many points as possible to hit the target numbers your activities require. Your deck starts out as a bunch of terrible crap, but you can earn new cards through life experiences and successes at activities- and some cards do better if you're focusing your development in a certain way; being good at everything is very hard to do.

Second, the other kids you're growing up with are not just well-written, but maleable- unlike the other games listed here where characters have a very set path and you're really just choosing whether you're close with them or not, in IWATE characters will change depending upon what you do, or what events befall the colony. Annie is a carefree girl who loves sports, but if you gently caress up and let her brother die (or don't even know that it's an option to not gently caress up!) she's change into a hardline xenophobe in trying to process her guilt and anger over it... and then, if you keep talking to her and choosing options about peace and living with the planet, you can pull her back from the brink and at least get her to break up with the fascist rear end in a top hat who is encouraging her.

IMO, it's the best of the games I've listed, though maybe that's because it's so fresh, but it's just the best written and has the best mechanics of the others from my playing of it.

Are there any I missed? Let me know!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hanako games has a chunk of stuff in the stat raising sim model. the time frames are typically either a year or shorter, so there isn't much actual growing up though in long live a queen compared to a princess maker for example.

e: oh another recent one is the world according to her.

it does some unique stuff, goes for a truman show type of thing where you are in charge of a fake city and hire actors to staff different districts and thematically those interactions with the actors is what is raising stats. so instead of picking classes for a week or whatever, you hire more actors, and then you put energy into districts so there is a higher chance you will get a stat gain from them. but if you overwork your actors they start getting sloppy and the girl gets suspicious.
actors also have their own passive or active abilities.

for example the growing up girl actor randomly becomes a different character after a few seasons. as you see here, this one ended up being ftm.

at certain points you are tested where you are trying to impress a certain amount of judges by using your stat gains. funny enough its just kinda a copy of the judging stuff from idolmaster shiny colors

very poor translation. longer time frame than the hanako stuff where it would say it is more of a "growing up" game though.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2022

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, Long Live The Queen could be on that list, but I think that at heart it's really more of a puzzle game than a life sim. While all of the mechanics look like standard Growing Up games - choose what to learn, schedule out those skills, etc. - there are a bunch of hard gates through the game where you get a Game Over if you didn't raise one specific skill to a certain level or make one specific choice in a dialogue. Which means that unlike Princess Maker and the rest - which encourage exploring and trying out a bunch of stuff and seeing what happens - LLTQ really has one path through it, and while you can have a little bit of variance in that path, if you don't follow that path first and foremost you lose.

Edit: I may be bitter, though, because the blurbs I read about it heavily sold it as a successor to Princess Maker and I found it frustrating and un-fun to play the game over and over again only to die to some new 'gently caress you' each time

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah i would personally agree with you. it is more strict that i would like. i prefer all the other hanako stat raising stuff way more.

anyway since the stat raising type of life sim games are getting posted in here, i guess its time to start talking about tokimeki memorial >:D

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't have enough experience in the genre though I have played: Stardew Valley, Graveyard Keeper, My Time at Portia, some of Rune Factory 4, some of Little Dragon's Cafe, Powerwash Simulator, Train Station Renovation, DQ Builders 1 & 2, Staxel, Gas Station Simulator, some of Verdant Skies, and House Flipper. Actually does Fantasy Life count? I guess that's more ARPG than life sim.

I have Gleaner Heights, Epic Chef, and Village Monsters in my current unfinished queue.

Gleaner Heights is basically farming + twin peaks, where there's small-town mysteries and conspiracies happening, but unfortunately I haven't gotten to that part yet as I'm still just starting out on the farm and it's pretty dang slow getting it off the ground compared to Stardew.

Epic Chef is a cooking heavy life sim where you engage in iron chefy battles to make story progress. Your farm is magic and has crops that grow extremely rapidly, there are some contraptions to build, but ultimately the cooking is the primary thing. You toss three ingredients in the pan, and stir to draw the point values out of them. there are synergies where you get bonuses for ingredients depending on what's already in the pan (or if nothing is) and you learn new ones as you level up, which you do by getting vigor, spirit or sophistication points from general activities and then eating one of your own dishes. the battles are basically outscoring your opponent, and for the story ones, catering to the judge's specific interests or avoiding their disinterests while using a sauce that'll affect their taste buds and sabotage their tasting of the opponent's meal. It's.. an alright game, although I think it's pretty unpolished, runs not very well no matter what system it's on, and, I dunno, I just can't quite get into 'the zone' playing this game like I can other life sims.

Village Monsters I have not started yet, but I did briefly play it when it was in early access. this one was in an itch.io bundle, I think maybe the BLM one? it's now hit 1.0 and has a proper story campaign so I am probably going to dig into it in the fall. The art style is a little simple but it seems like it wants to sit between Stardew and Animal Crossing and I could definitely vibe w/ that.

Ones I'm looking forward to/keeping an eye on: Potion Permit, seeing how Dinkum pans out, Ikonei Island, Love Ghostie, I Am Future, Moonshell Island, Lost Nova, Nivalis, Mineko's Night Market

I've not been too much into the pure farm stuff like say Story of Seasons, I think having that extra bit of something like Stardew having the dungeon & community center, Graveyard having the automation, Portia having dungeons and the blueprints, etc. is what really keeps me into the loop. Purely farming/fishing and selling crops/fish isn't enough for me. I might at some point try the Doraemon SoS games but I'm not going out of my way for it.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 30, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That looks like a lot of experience in the genre to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That looks like a lot of experience in the genre to me.
compared to other genres where i've played hundreds of games, it's a much smaller list. and I'm very short on the "(X) Simulator" games.. it's just House Flipper, GSS and Train Station Renovation. I'm sure there's others of those ilk I'd be into but there are so many of them that like. It's tough to know which of them are actually decent.

One other one I forgot was Kitaria Fables but I'd honestly say to avoid it, it's not very good on either the ARPG side or the farming side, and the grind/drop-farming is loving insane in that game.

Graveyard Keeper I liked a lot because of how much you could set up automation, which doesn't necessarily mean I'll suddenly slide into the Factorio/Satisfactory world, but it does mean that eventually I get tired of farming loops v fast and like to make other people do it, lol. Still, the progression of that game was very satisfying in how things kept opening up/unlocking, having a story progression, etc. Except for the last few hours ugh.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm currently playing Moonglow Bay, which is a fishing and food stall life sim game. It took me a bit to get into it mostly because it's finicky on mkb so I switched to controller, but it's got a good mix of story goals, mindless meditative fishing and exploration.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
How is Powerwashing Simulator a life sim? I can kinda see House Flipper, but I thought in PWS you just spray water at things in various levels?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

HopperUK posted:

Dinkum sounds like it would really hit for you. It’s basically animal crossing with a bunch of actual game mechanics a la stardew added in.

Eiba posted:

Cool new thread!

So I've been wondering for a while and I figured folks interested in this thread would know:

Is Dinkum good?

It looks really good, but I'm not sure how the animal crossing gameplay would feel in not-real-time. If you can just go to bed for the next day, but there's no seasonal pressure like Stardew, I feel like there's a lot of times you'd want to just go to bed a bunch of times in a row to progress things, which feels bad. I also wonder about these early access games. I feel like it'd be easy to get burnt out on something like this before all the content is in.

I've got a friend I'd like to coop it with. Anyone got coop experience with it in its current form?

Dinkum is super fun. There is some seasonal pressure actually - some crops are seasonal, fish change, bugs change etc. Nothing so far has taken more than a day or two to finish in terms of town progression, so never felt like sleeping a bunch of days was the move. Non-farming stuff is really built out, basically all I’ve done, so you’re not beholden to the crop timer as much. In general it is just surprisingly well developed all round.

Coop is fun, but you sort of have to decide you’re going to just progress that one person’s island. But, guests can do a lot more than in animal crossing. It’s closer to a stardew farmhand, just as a temporary visitor.

tildes fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 30, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

For growing up games you should also add Chinese Parents, which is a fun and fairly casual run through raising a kid in 2010s China up to taking the dreaded Gaokao university entrance exam. It has an English translation now that looks pretty good.

Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/736190/Chinese_Parents/

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't have enough experience in the genre though I have played: Stardew Valley, Graveyard Keeper, My Time at Portia, some of Rune Factory 4, some of Little Dragon's Cafe, Powerwash Simulator, Train Station Renovation, DQ Builders 1 & 2, Staxel, Gas Station Simulator, some of Verdant Skies, and House Flipper. Actually does Fantasy Life count? I guess that's more ARPG than life sim.
Fantasy Life should absolutely count! It's got an ARPG in it, but so does Stardew Valley. It's definitely just one aspect of the game which is otherwise a solid life simulator.

I had almost forgotten about it, but I had a ton of fun playing it alongside a friend ages ago now. I would love it if there were more games like Fantasy Life. As far as I can tell it's absolutely unique in its emphasis when it deserved to have a bunch of clones, or at least sequels that weren't mobile garbage. Heck, at this point I'd settle for a remaster of the original, as the 3DS graphics aren't amazing.

Anyone who's interested in the concept of life sims should probably at least look up a review for it. It's a cute classic fantasy world where you can switch your jobs around, and each job has a really fun sense of progression. It's got some grindy elements, and some simple minigame crafting mechanics, but I personally found them all really satisfying. The game really just has a ton of charm- if you think it looks cute you'll probably have fun with it.

tildes posted:

Dinkum is super fun. There is some seasonal pressure actually - some crops are seasonal, fish change, bugs change etc. Nothing so far has taken more than a day or two to finish in terms of town progression, so never felt like sleeping a bunch of days was the move. Non-farming stuff is really built out, basically all I’ve done, so you’re not beholden to the crop timer as much. In general it is just surprisingly well developed all round.

Coop is fun, but you sort of have to decide you’re going to just progress that one person’s island. But, guests can do a lot more than in animal crossing. It’s closer to a stardew farmhand, just as a temporary visitor.
Alright, that's put some of my fears to rest. Nice.

How's the decoration/customization content compared to something like Animal Crossing? Can you really make things your own style, or is it more on the Stardew side of things where this is your setting and you're just grinding through it, perhaps with a different color shirt?

At this point I'll probably get it either way, but it would probably have to have some solid customization for me to get my friend on board. Coop is more fun when you can show off how you decided to decorate something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

How is Powerwashing Simulator a life sim? I can kinda see House Flipper, but I thought in PWS you just spray water at things in various levels?
I can only say "it felt like one to me".

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Eiba posted:

Alright, that's put some of my fears to rest. Nice.

How's the decoration/customization content compared to something like Animal Crossing? Can you really make things your own style, or is it more on the Stardew side of things where this is your setting and you're just grinding through it, perhaps with a different color shirt?

At this point I'll probably get it either way, but it would probably have to have some solid customization for me to get my friend on board. Coop is more fun when you can show off how you decided to decorate something.

There is definitely some of that, but not sure how much. I imagine definitely less than animal crossing, but I’m not super focused on that side of things (I chose to keep living in a tent while I invest in resource infrastructure). There at least is furniture etc but it miiight be more like stardew level.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The 7th Guest posted:

Gleaner Heights is basically farming + twin peaks, where there's small-town mysteries and conspiracies happening, but unfortunately I haven't gotten to that part yet as I'm still just starting out on the farm and it's pretty dang slow getting it off the ground compared to Stardew.

How are the controls for Gleaner Heights? I've always wanted to play it, for historical reasons if nothing else, but the controls looked and sounded rough in all the videos I've seen.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LLSix posted:

How are the controls for Gleaner Heights? I've always wanted to play it, for historical reasons if nothing else, but the controls looked and sounded rough in all the videos I've seen.
Yeah, they're definitely odd, I feel like that's the thing that needs the most improvement.. I know the dev is working on 'season two' dlc for the game so maybe they can address it. Playing on the Steam Deck (bear in mind this was over a month ago so I'm going off memory), buttons aren't mapped the way you would necessarily expect, and putting stuff in the sellers box took me a while to figure out. Some of it is button mapping but also some of it is UI as well. Also you run out of stamina REALLY quickly in the early going. Some lunchtime siestas in my v early playthrough!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Time at Portia. Farm, fight, and fabricate. Unbelievably beautiful; I've stopped whatever quest I was on just to watch the sun set. Sequel My Time at Sandrock will enter EA in Fall 2022.

FYI Sandrock has been out in early access for a couple of months now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1084600/My_Time_at_Sandrock/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played through Growing Up and found it to be really disappointing. The writing is extremely flat and consists of nothing but cliches that you would see in any generic teenage sitcom. The gameplay is also not great, if you have a little think then it's not difficult to figure out how to snowball your stat gains into the stratosphere and there's literally never a point where you have to make meaningful choices that affect gameplay.

I also played through I Was A Teenage Exocolonist, like 4 times already, and that one is absolutely fantastic, both in it's writing and gameplay. Highly recommend.
I swear I was not crying after my first playthrough.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

lordfrikk posted:

I think [Job Occupation] simulator would count as life sim. Farming and fishing can be jobs too.

Or in a farming perspective, think of powerwashing as watering your plant, which is your house.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m trying to find a couple games for my Steam Deck that isn’t Stardew. I enjoy Stardew but I’ve played too much. Kinda eyeballing Bear and Breakfast or a similar game. Anyone messed with it?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Right now I'm waiting for Potion Permit to come out. I played the demo and it seemed lovely to me. A cute game where you gather stuff and beat up monsters for ingredients to make potions, which you use to treat the ailments of people in a small town. The art style is pretty pleasant and I liked getting to know all the townsfolk. :)

Growing Up and Chinese Parents are basically the same game, though Growing Up has a lot more emphasis on the VN-like elements than Chinese Parents did. They're both pretty good fun, but get repetitive pretty quick -- I found Growing Up to be the way easier game of the two, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I would recommend Potion Craft and Strange Horticulture as lovely genre-adjacent games.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I'm currently playing Moonglow Bay, which is a fishing and food stall life sim game. It took me a bit to get into it mostly because it's finicky on mkb so I switched to controller, but it's got a good mix of story goals, mindless meditative fishing and exploration.

This one is great and also on game pass. Be warned it is real loving glitchy, keep multiple saves and save frequently at each quest/progression step.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
This threads great its literally all the kinds of games my partner loves to play so I can find her good recommendations :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Megazver posted:

I would recommend Potion Craft and Strange Horticulture as lovely genre-adjacent games.

I loved Strange Horticulture. Gave me a similar vibe to the solo tabletop game Apothecaria. It was lovely just to arrange my little plant shelf with the rain outside. Cosy.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I was able to post about Chinese Parents but I see someone's beaten me to it. I haven't really played the game since V2 dropped so I'm not sure what changed there but I really enjoyed the game for like 20-30 hours before that even if getting married was a crapshoot.

I was actually interested in that teenage exocolonist game, I might move it up on my list. Still too busy working through Wuxia RPGs to get to that immediately.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
does My Summer Car count because oh boy I got words about that one

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Galick posted:

tell us the words

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Galick posted:

I've only seen videos of My Summer Car but I'd absolutely say it counts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

tell us the words

"Perkele" is one of them, I imagine.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

if my summer car is one, then maybe The Long Drive is also one.

its life on the open road

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Clark Nova posted:

FYI Sandrock has been out in early access for a couple of months now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1084600/My_Time_at_Sandrock/

Did Sandrock get better after launch? I heard it launched into EA in rough shape.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

Did Sandrock get better after launch? I heard it launched into EA in rough shape.
That was the case with Portia as well in its EA period, but for what it's worth, I had played the demo of it a year PRIOR to the EA launch and it already felt more polished than Portia was. so maybe it's just rough in comparison to other finished life sims? the combat is much less horrible (it's not amazing, but it's not ".hack//infection combat" terrible like Portia's). i don't know if the vertical slice of the demo just happened to be more polished than the EA version

i want to support them just because everything's been against them, they had to delay the EA launch for a year and a half because of China's ongoing certification issues with games, and now they had to delay their newest content update because of covid lockdowns affecting their cities. -_-

but at the same time I try to avoid buying early access games just in case the worst happens and the game never gets finished. which happens less and less these days but... it still happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I would love if we had a broad-church view of this thread: if somebody wants to discuss a game here, knock yourself out.