Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

thanks, I will make those adjustments tomorrow when I can reset this 500 quest.

Algid posted:

Your deck would immediately improve just by no thought cramming in the top 23 cards by rating in BW instead, maybe adjusting for your curve a bit. Basically exactly what Simon said except I would try cramming in the 3rd silversmith as well.

You do look at the data according to your previous posts so I'm just confused why you're playing a bunch of bad cards instead of good cards.

lol, yeah i guess it was a minimum of thought considering it's a format I haven't thought about in half a year and with no punishment for bad building or play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Easiest 7-0 of my life. The most stacked deck in human history. Sickening stuff

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Esper legends seems like a safe craft if there's no more bans for another 12 months? All it's direct competition has been weakened too, so it looks strong

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably, but Lithomantic Barrage seriously clipped its wings in Bo3

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Esper legends seems like a safe craft if there's no more bans for another 12 months? All it's direct competition has been weakened too, so it looks strong

It is incorrexct to say no more bans for 12 months:
1 - this wasn't the annual banning, that's in August
2 - there's a window to do emergeny bans 3 weeks ish after each set release

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
right now we're also waiting to see how the meta shifts now that every deck doesn't need to tech around the banned cards anymore, so I wouldn't entirely place money on decks being strong unchanged

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

thespaceinvader posted:

It is incorrexct to say no more bans for 12 months:
1 - this wasn't the annual banning, that's in August
2 - there's a window to do emergeny bans 3 weeks ish after each set release

oh my bad, I thought the recent bans were the bans for the year, didn't know about the August ones.

did know about the emergency ban thing but that wouldn't affect the meta til the new set anyway which I expect to shake up things anyway

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

After playing out the MOM Premier, I finally found time to do a MID one. That format is much more relaxed for me, because it feels like it demands exactly my level of playing skill. I have done quite well in MID before and I expect to do so again with this deck:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/521b0d1d3f464708a4758d92f2d701a8

It's 3-0 already, gotta stop for the night.
Sadly, this only got one more win for an overall 4-3 record.

I got absolutely rinsed by two Voldaren Stinger (the 1/1 with first strike on attack that can pump +2/+0 for 2R), despite having a lot of 4-power butts; they simply had a lot of tricks, including Neonate's Rush, which is a ping for one and whoops then 3 power first strike is enough. Eventually I just could not block at all anymore. Kinda disgusting game.

Still kinda screwed up a possible double block, because my first strike logic is still faulty. I really don't know why I'm having such a hard time envisioning where the damage goes when.

Other loss was heavy flooding, though I also overcommitted my removal a bit against an opp on the ropes due to screw, and welp, screw beat flood when they managed to stabilize with their third color they had apparently been missing.

Forgot the third loss. Overall, deck turned out to be just okay, I think that's the issue with green in the format - I took a lot of very solid cards that can do their role fairly well, but you just don't cut it overall against card advantage machines, heavy synergy and such.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think the only thing they really missed was Atraxa. That's probably going to hit "emergency ban" territory from what I've seen from streamers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
3 week window seems really short for how slow/reluctant they seem to be with banning decisions.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

3 week window seems really short for how slow/reluctant they seem to be with banning decisions.

I think something has to be really cracked to eat the week three ban, like on the lines of Felidar Guardian/Saheeli Rai combo

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

I think something has to be really cracked to eat the week three ban, like on the lines of Felidar Guardian/Saheeli Rai combo

Or Oko
Or Uro
Or Companions
Or Omnath, Locus of Creation
Or Fable of the Mirror-Breaker

good lord have there been some design oopsie-doodles lately

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The 3-week announcement is like, "right after the pro tour", so it'll be pretty obvious that the new mechanic they've pushed needs some bans when it's 80% of day 2 and seven out of the top eight.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A Moose posted:

I think the only thing they really missed was Atraxa. That's probably going to hit "emergency ban" territory from what I've seen from streamers.

Eeeeeeh I'm not certain - there's a bunch of ways now to turn 4, 7 mana, and even without Atraxa, there's Etali and Titan of Industry for the reanimator method (and Portal, potentially also, potentially all of them if you do it with Chaotic Transmutation) as well as Breach the Multiverse if you do it the traditional way (i.e. t2 dork t3 fetch 2 lands with or make 2 treasures). Atraxa is very strong, but so are all the other things you can do with 7 mana.

Arguably Etali is actually stronger, given that it draws two guaranteed nonland cards and casts them for free, whereas Atraxa draws up to 8 (I think) but requires both luck and deckbuilding to get more than two or three, and has no inbuilt free mana.

If 'get a 7 mana card in play early' becomes the meta, they need to hit the things that accelerate you there early, not the things that getting there does, because there's always more big threatening 7+ mana spells.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 1, 2023

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

Or Oko
Or Uro
Or Companions
Or Omnath, Locus of Creation
Or Fable of the Mirror-Breaker

good lord have there been some design oopsie-doodles lately

I don't think people realized how good Fable was within the first three weeks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

snyprmag posted:

I don't think people realized how good Fable was within the first three weeks.
absolutely they did. Sheoldred was the one people whiffed on.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I think most people knew Fable was strong but not the format defining card it ended up being. A lot of people were higher on Kaito Shizuki being the better 3-mana draw engine.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Atraxa is one of those things where unless your opponent has lethal on board and removal in hand, you basically win the game when it resolves. Etali whiff. it can grab a couple 1-drops or like, ramp and a counterspell from your opponent and not advance the board. Conversely it can grab multiple blockers if you're behind and sometimes its correct to play Etali instead of Atraxa, but they're both played in the same decks. And Atraxa is definitely the one pushing it over the top. It being a baneslayer that draws 4-6 cards is unreasonable for standard. Especially with leyline binding, which if you're casting Atraxa, costs 1 mana.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Eeeeeeh I'm not certain - there's a bunch of ways now to turn 4, 7 mana, and even without Atraxa, there's Etali and Titan of Industry for the reanimator method (and Portal, potentially also, potentially all of them if you do it with Chaotic Transmutation) as well as Breach the Multiverse if you do it the traditional way (i.e. t2 dork t3 fetch 2 lands with or make 2 treasures). Atraxa is very strong, but so are all the other things you can do with 7 mana.

Arguably Etali is actually stronger, given that it draws two guaranteed nonland cards and casts them for free, whereas Atraxa draws up to 8 (I think) but requires both luck and deckbuilding to get more than two or three, and has no inbuilt free mana.

If 'get a 7 mana card in play early' becomes the meta, they need to hit the things that accelerate you there early, not the things that getting there does, because there's always more big threatening 7+ mana spells.

The thing about Atraxa is the lifeline on a 7/7 means if it does come down you need to be able to deal with atraxa by your next turn AND win that next turn thanks to the cards, the other big cards give you more room if you've got a good boardstate yourself. If atraxa didn't have the lifelink i think it'd be completely fair.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah Atraxa is being played in Legacy and is taking up premium slots in Reanimator decks there, its power level can hang there. I haven't seen Etali much by comparison

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah but can you hard cast atraxa from hand on turn 13? not without a bullshit manabase you can't. griselbrand wins again

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Also archon of cruelty.

opks22
Dec 12, 2003

Something wicked this way comes.

Shrecknet posted:

absolutely they did. Sheoldred was the one people whiffed on.

This is incorrect. Everyone considered the card too slow when it was first released. Even PVDDR considered it only draft chaff and considers it to be one of his biggest whiffs.

https://twitter.com/PVDDR/status/1588533939626717184

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woah, I didn’t know there was an Alchemy PT

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It took almost a year for fable to REALLY start dominating standard, it's a really good card but I don't see how you can call it an Oko tier mistake.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

see also ledger shredder and unlicensed hearse. if memory serves I believe it took a while for uro to catch on in legacy as well

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Different context cause I assume it was always unplayable in standard, but Death’s Shadow is a deck that probably could have been competitive a long time before it was discovered

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Went to 3-8 before I finally dragged myself over the finish line with that crap sealed deck lol... so many mythic rares on the other side.

Probably would have been longer if I didn't get a free turn 3 opponent scoop lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Etali was my only out in this game, pulled a sticky fingers and choose 2 Gix thing, which I could use to wipe my opponents board, but mine too. It wasn't the worst outcome, but not enough to save me since I was left open and they had 5 incubates just sitting there waiting to convert. I think they kinda forgot about them because they conceded before it even resolved.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Another what’s the play, if anyone’s interested

I was basically certain they had Eiganjo in hand (and they did).

I think I played to my out. There’s no point in attacking if they have Eiganjo, and based on their prior attacks with Raffine they certainly had it. If they proactively Skrelv the Raffine on their turn, I’m dead (assuming they have any non lands in hand). But if they target Adeline, I can copy and chump with a white creature (and block Raffine with Djinns), and hope to draw a draw spell into bounce. They would also have to tap out precombat enough for Plaza not to work. So I was relying on them making multiple mistakes, but they made them all (even choosing to connive with Adeline, who would already be hitting for lethal).

But I drew Fading Hope which left me 1 point short of lethal, since they did have the Eiganjo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
See Double on Raffine precombat. If they pay mana for Skrelv then they're locked out of Eiganjo and dead on board, if they pay life they're down to 7 and dead even after killing a Djinn, so they have to let it happen.

Then you swing all and need to find two Djinn-pumping cards in your top 3 for the connive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Am I missing something? They have 2 white sources.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jabor posted:

See Double on Raffine precombat. If they pay mana for Skrelv then they're locked out of Eiganjo and dead on board, if they pay life they're down to 7 and dead even after killing a Djinn, so they have to let it happen.

Then you swing all and need to find two Djinn-pumping cards in your top 3 for the connive.

It's a good play, but the Eiganjo's Channel ability gets discounted by all those legends down to a single W.

That's still probably what I would have done, just hoping they don't see the immediate danger in the Raffine Connive +1 counters because they can Eiganjo the target in response, but I'd hope they miss that I could discard further instants to pump the surviving djinn, that I was sandbagging the true dangerous card by trying to bait out their Skrelv activation.

edit: lol I'd be tapped out after this line, this is why I can't play blue tempo

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 2, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I was already relying on them making a mistake, maybe this line was better because it was much less dependent on the top of my deck. Though I do think it would likely fail because the natural impulse in that situation is to protect your creature, and afaik they had no reason to pay with life. In my line, my hope was that they’d play their turn on autopilot.

Regardless, I didn’t consider it at the time. I almost roped out as was. I mean I thought about cloning Raffine but didn’t think about the life implications.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 2, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

Am I missing something? They have 2 white sources.

I always miss that ability on Plaza. Manabases are stupidly good for Standard.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

is the historic brawl space a solved format? or does the hell queue keep the 4-5 decks that crowd everything else out away from the brewers lab?

every time I try and put something together I always find myself drifting towards the same 20-30 cards that "must" go in and it feels very samey.

anyone got a spicy commander to build around?

also lol golos still isn't banned

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Shrecknet posted:

is the historic brawl space a solved format?

Absolutely not, and if you keep on putting the same 20-30 cards in... try not doing that?

It's impossible to give advice over what to play if you don't give us anything to go on - what do you enjoy, what are those 20-30 cards, why do you think they always need to go in?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Only tried it in standard and not historic but Hidetsugu and Kairi is a hilarious commander. Stick in a bunch of reamination spells, extra turn spells, Breach-type things, plus spot removal, copy spells,. etc, a little bit of sac outlets and amybe some planeswalkers to delay the opponent, and aim to start turn 5 by saccing, copying, or killing your commander, and reaminating it multiple times before smashing them in the face with Breach or something. I should actually try building that for HBrawl, but it definitely feels like I'd be constantly smacked in the face by cards I don't know and can't prep for.

I definitely feel you on HBrawl though - I like the concept of it but between needing to learn another 1000-odd cards and interactions, and feeling like every deck needs the same 10 or so ramp artifacts (plus stuff like Wash Away if you're in blue, etc) and many if not most decks can just be combo decks with 'a massive pile of tutors for whatever combo piece plus your commander' being the whole combo, I'm really not that engaged with it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Absolutely not, and if you keep on putting the same 20-30 cards in... try not doing that?

It's impossible to give advice over what to play if you don't give us anything to go on - what do you enjoy, what are those 20-30 cards, why do you think they always need to go in?

Brainstorm, Time Warp, Swords to Plowshares, Casualties of War, Arcane Signet, Llanowar Elf/Elvish Mystic, Liliana of the Veil, Lightning Bolt... you know, the utterly broken stuff way above the curve that's better than any Saproling synergy stuff you could be doing

Personally, I looooove Prison decks. "I'm not happy until you're not happy" is my motto. Ponza, Stax, Barbershop, I love it all. Sadly modern design has excised this lost fourth archetype from magic.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Shrecknet posted:

Harbin
Samut
the latest Urabrask