Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Brainstorm, Time Warp, Swords to Plowshares, Casualties of War, Arcane Signet, Llanowar Elf/Elvish Mystic, Liliana of the Veil, Lightning Bolt... you know, the utterly broken stuff way above the curve that's better than any Saproling synergy stuff you could be doing

Personally, I looooove Prison decks. "I'm not happy until you're not happy" is my motto. Ponza, Stax, Barbershop, I love it all. Sadly modern design has excised this lost fourth archetype from magic.

Only four of those cards (Swords to Plowshares, Casualties of War, Arcane Signet, and Bolt) I consider must-includes for their respective decks. And considering Casualties is two colors, it shouldn't be going into too many decks unless you're playing a lot of Golgari or multicolor greed piles.

If I'm going full-bore aggro I may even skip Arcane Signet.

I also do not think hbrawl is a solved format. I see a lot of the same commanders, sure, but I also see some off-the wall stuff that takes me aback a good amount, too.

If you like prison decks, might I recommend Thalia and the Gitrog Monster? I have a build right now that's mostly golgari for land ramp and removal, but the white in the deck is mostly the annoying tax poo poo to mesh with Thalia's etb punishments for the opponent. It's really funny watching players concede time and again after dropping blockers but oops they come in tapped, gg

Plus with Thalia you do get to play with Casualties of War, my favorite brawl card.

Here's my list:

Commander
1 Thalia and The Gitrog Monster

Deck
1 Fatal Push
7 Forest
2 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Mind Stone
1 Brushland
1 Caves of Koilos
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Command Tower
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Go for the Throat
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Putrefy
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Temple Garden
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Woodland Cemetery
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Temple of Plenty
1 Temple of Malady
1 World Breaker
1 Blooming Marsh
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Scattered Groves
1 Ramunap Excavator
1 Field of Ruin
1 Elvish Rejuvenator
1 Smothering Tithe
1 Paradise Druid
1 Casualties of War
1 Despark
1 Cavalier of Thorns
1 Once Upon a Time
1 Fabled Passage
1 Arcane Signet
1 Ilysian Caryatid
1 Shadowspear
1 Heartless Act
1 Mythos of Nethroi
1 Indatha Triome
1 Springbloom Druid
1 Emeria's Call
1 Felidar Retreat
1 Agadeem's Awakening
1 Bloodchief's Thirst
1 Malakir Rebirth
1 Ancient Greenwarden
1 Scute Swarm
1 Tangled Florahedron
1 Turntimber Symbiosis
1 Yasharn, Implacable Earth
1 Branchloft Pathway
1 Crawling Barrens
1 Reidane, God of the Worthy
1 Darkbore Pathway
1 Woodland Chasm
1 Esper Sentinel
1 Tireless Provisioner
1 Ornithopter of Paradise
1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant
1 Lair of the Hydra
1 Infernal Grasp
1 Wrenn and Seven
1 Overgrown Farmland
1 Cultivator Colossus
1 Deathcap Glade
1 Shattered Sanctum
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire
1 Forsaken Crossroads
1 Kami of Bamboo Groves
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse
1 Llanowar Loamspeaker
1 Haunted Mire
1 Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines
1 Armored Scrapgorger
1 Conduit of Worlds
1 Glissa Sunslayer
1 Nissa, Resurgent Animist

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The new Calix from Aftermath looks like it could get out of hand quickly.

Ramping into Etali is the 2nd best thing you can do in Hbrawl outside the hell queue. Atraxa is by far the best thing though. There's like 2 aggro commanders to watch out for if you're playing Atraxa, but if you can draw your board clears you can still win.

Imoti is getting pretty popular as well because if most of the stuff that costs less than Imoti is ramp or removal, then she's always gonna hit something useful and ramp you into giant spells that will then also cascade. also anything U/G is gonna be at least good in brawl.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
LMFAO OP in my last match hit Breach > Etali > Breach turn 5, plus resolved another Breach and I think two more Etalis - and decked themselves.

I'm playing monogreen to see how it stacks up int eh New Meta and I'm absolutely astonished that I managed to win against that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Shrecknet posted:

Brainstorm, Time Warp, Swords to Plowshares, Casualties of War, Arcane Signet, Llanowar Elf/Elvish Mystic, Liliana of the Veil, Lightning Bolt... you know, the utterly broken stuff way above the curve that's better than any Saproling synergy stuff you could be doing

Personally, I looooove Prison decks. "I'm not happy until you're not happy" is my motto. Ponza, Stax, Barbershop, I love it all. Sadly modern design has excised this lost fourth archetype from magic.

It looks like your problem is that you insist on playing 5 color commanders only.
I actually would agree that 5c goodstuff brawl is actually a solved format. But, they aren't strictly stronger then more restrictive commanders that actually synergize with their deck.
Just play some monocolored commanders like baral for a bit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

It looks like your problem is that you insist on playing 5 color commanders only.
I actually would agree that 5c goodstuff brawl is actually a solved format. But, they aren't strictly stronger then more restrictive commanders that actually synergize with their deck.

oh no, for each of those it's like, "am I blue commander? time warp" "am I red? Ragavan"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Maybe I've been lucky with lovely opponents but most of the time Time Warp is played against me it does jack poo poo. Seems like more often than not it's just a 5-cost sorcery speed "draw a card and untap you lands" which, if you aren't already ahead, doesn't really help much.

Ragavan probably does go in any red deck that plays a lot of creatures and has mana that can consistently ETB untapped on turns 1 or 2.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

anyone got a spicy commander to build around?

I've been having a lot of success with The Raven Man. It's primarily discard tribal but I balance it with removal, tutors, and the occasional sweeper. The wincons are things like Fell Specter, Raider's Wake, Invasion of Eldraine, Torment of Scarabs, Painful Quandry, etc. Anything that taxes the opponent for either discarding or having an empty hand.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shrecknet posted:

is the historic brawl space a solved format? or does the hell queue keep the 4-5 decks that crowd everything else out away from the brewers lab?

every time I try and put something together I always find myself drifting towards the same 20-30 cards that "must" go in and it feels very samey.

anyone got a spicy commander to build around?

also lol golos still isn't banned

Golos is a chump that I farm all day as Baral. He's Golos's natural predator.

It's not a solved format because there's a million janky decks that can work and people don't care about being meta/solved because there's no ladder.

The only "must" cards are the one-offs so strong they're banned in normal Historic, like Swords to Plowshares, Counterspell, Dark Ritual, and even those aren't always a must.

I think it's pretty much just Blue that gets all the Amazing stuff like Wash Away, spells to take control of their commander, auras to remove abilities from their commander like Trapped in the Moon or whatever, that kind of bullshit where you disable their commander without killing it is what gets all the concedes.

Even with all that, so many decks are such shameless greedpiles that you can roll in with Ragavan and smoke half of them while they're trying to ramp.

edit: Even Arcane Signet isn't a must include. For my Geist of Saint Traft deck I skip it, as it can't possibly help me cast a 3-mana UW commander any faster than if it were a land instead, and it is vulnerable to removal/counterspells.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 2, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

LMFAO OP in my last match hit Breach > Etali > Breach turn 5, plus resolved another Breach and I think two more Etalis - and decked themselves.

I'm playing monogreen to see how it stacks up int eh New Meta and I'm absolutely astonished that I managed to win against that.

Lmao Ive been wondering if a deck with Breach, Etali, and Portal to Phyrexia could be something and aim building one tonight because I must experience this kind of self-driven loss.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VictualSquid posted:

This inspired me to take my Nissa/Titania deck to HB.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/msH1IAAbMUKro5KgxwXXDQ

Main gameplan is getting landfall effects and ramping into the Elf/Elemental bombs that Nissa would draw. I actively want to avoid too many dorky elves though so Nissa gets the hits. I am also interested in targeted land tutors so I can get Argoth into play, but that's just one line, the other elementals and Nissas seem good on their own.

Any recommendations on those dozen auto-includes I might be missing would be appreciated lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A lot of them are ramp artifacts, so like, signet, sol ring, coldsteel heart, guardian idol, mind stone, treasure map, nykthos, etc etc etc etc

If you're playing snow lands you probably want Faceless Haven if it's not banned (IDK what's banned in HBrawl). Craterhoof, finale, etc. Augur of Autumn maybe, Guardian Project, Henge. There's a bunch, but green doesn't have quite as many autoincludes as others I don't think.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Heroic Intervention and Into the North? Awaken the Woods makes a bunch of landfall triggers.

May also want to slot some graveyard hate, eg: soul-guide lantern

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Armored Scrapgorger is good for incidental GY hate and ramp without being a mana dork that Nissa hits.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think they should shorten every turn timer in every mode.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I really enjoyed this draft format but I jammed so much of it I think I might be done now. Really good work wizards :)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Main gameplan is getting landfall effects and ramping into the Elf/Elemental bombs that Nissa would draw. I actively want to avoid too many dorky elves though so Nissa gets the hits. I am also interested in targeted land tutors so I can get Argoth into play, but that's just one line, the other elementals and Nissas seem good on their own.

Any recommendations on those dozen auto-includes I might be missing would be appreciated lol

Beanstalk giant is ramp and another fatty. Does command tower do anything a forest wouldn't? Enter the Unknown seems pretty weak.

For your top end theres other strong stuff turntimber symbiosis, verdant rejuvination, unvenwald hydra gets a land, ancient greenwarden gets lands from the yard.

e - satyr wayfinger for another mill get a land effect.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 2, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Topiary Stomper will fetch a land on the cheap and since you're ramping anyways you'll be able to actually attack/block with it on a decent curve.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks, I've made a bunch of changes already and actually reading the text on old-growth dryads correctly freed up an easy slot lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

I think they should shorten every turn timer in every mode.

I'd also love a slider to accelerate my own animations. Like if you drag out one of your lands on the opponent's turn and hold it over the battlefield, when it goes to your draw step it flings a card into your hand at supersonic speed for some reason. It would be nice to have all my own stuff sped up like that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Have the mathologists done any work to find out whether havine a Companion in the slot had any significant impact on winrates in MoM/MAT draft? I definitely felt like being able to Companion one of the good ones was something I saw more often later in drafts, but equally, I don't think I managed to make it work myself - though, I never saw Jegantha who's definitely the easiest one to fit in the slot.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
all i know is the poor sap i played against once who tried to companion yorion in a premier draft had his heart in the right place, but was probably barking up the wrong tree

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"Time to play Farewell."

Seriously, though, what thing make Vesuvan go brrrr?
Math and exponential scaling.

The first spell that targets Mondrak creates 2 tokens for a total of 3 Mondraks on the board. The second spell creates 8 tokens, for a total of 11 Mondraks. The third spell hits the 250 creatures cap.

While it's not a reliable or competitive deck, at least it's a lot more consistent than my pre-Mondrak version:

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 2, 2023

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Green counters update. V1 peaked at diamond before hitting a string of bad luck before getting to Mythic. V2 was a little worse overall. The fight riggings didn’t help like I wanted.

V3 https://mtgazone.com/user-decks/st6u44xfy7pkg1l0pk/ is currently out of gold and moving up plat.

Significantly reduced curve. 11 one drops with counter synergy. Kami of Whispered Hopes and Deathbonnet Sprouts have been over performing. Decided I needed two Tyvar Stand as well to lessen the consequences of removal and board wipes.

Deathbonnet can turn opponent removal and discard into a 3/3 one drop.

Kami is great ramp for this deck in specific and another counter multiplier. Spot removal is usually gone by the time this comes down.

Lots of decisions to make about how to maximize counters and play around possible removal, so it is very fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Venuz Patrol posted:

all i know is the poor sap i played against once who tried to companion yorion in a premier draft had his heart in the right place, but was probably barking up the wrong tree
I watched a fellow goon pilot his own Yorion draft deck and ngl it's really sweet, I think you can absolutely pull it off. It's a good card you're always guaranteed to draw! Also, in a set with that many strong etbs (Backup alone)...

I also played someone who companioned the Macrosage and had Jegantha in their deck lol (they lost, I stole-sac'd Jegantha for lethal)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Treasured Historic Singleton is fun. more the historic singleton part itself. I think I'd play a singleton format if they had it, or else try to force it into decks if they printed synergy for it. You get to play a variety of cards with similar effects in different ways to consider, and it feels better to craft a rare or mythic and be done with it over it being 1/4 that you need.

The coin alt art are one of my favourite set gimmick themes, is there a lore reason like stuff being turned into coins or were gold coins just part of the pirate theme of that set?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it wasn't actually a treatment before multiverse legends came out last set, and it's because treasure was a large theme (since pirates)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Khanstant posted:

Treasured Historic Singleton is fun. more the historic singleton part itself. I think I'd play a singleton format if they had it, or else try to force it into decks if they printed synergy for it. You get to play a variety of cards with similar effects in different ways to consider, and it feels better to craft a rare or mythic and be done with it over it being 1/4 that you need.

The coin alt art are one of my favourite set gimmick themes, is there a lore reason like stuff being turned into coins or were gold coins just part of the pirate theme of that set?
What decks are people running for this festival, out of curiosity?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

historic brawl life: i finally have the pinch point being mythic rare wildcards at 0 instead of rare wildcards :negative:

Deck is cool though, I did not play any of the Theros sets so missing Nykthos lol, what a land

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

historic brawl life: i finally have the pinch point being mythic rare wildcards at 0 instead of rare wildcards :negative:

nothing $20 can't fix

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Deck is cool though, I did not play any of the Theros sets so missing Nykthos lol, what a land

Nykthos was in an Explorer collection, original Theros isn't on Arena as it's from 2013 - no reason for you to have had it

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Time posted:

I really enjoyed this draft format but I jammed so much of it I think I might be done now. Really good work wizards :)
Seconded. I drafted this format 25 times, which is a lot for me. This was an all-timer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Same - and not just because I managed to draft it both for longer than any other one I've been here for, and to completion - it's just been a really interesting one. The extra bonus sheets and guaranteed battle slot made for a lot of interest, and battles in general make for a much more interesting play environment in general. Here's hoping for more.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I swear that the second I post about any deck online the algorithm starts putting me only against decks I am weak against. I was probably 30/40 yesterday. Today it is nothing but Sunfall and boardwipes into bombs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Muxus is hellqueued, right? Because I just built an amateur's version of it and ran into Kinnan, Ragavan, Baral and Sythis in that order.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Muxus is hellqueued, right? Because I just built an amateur's version of it and ran into Kinnan, Ragavan, Baral and Sythis in that order.

Mux is my primary deck, and yes it's 100% hellqueue. And a good version of the deck definitely deserves to be.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Muxus can run people over on turn 4 easily and the matchmaking doesn't care about how "amateur" the rest of your deck may or may not be.

With that said it's super rare I run into him as Baral. I think he's just not that popular for some reason. My friend who grew up playing a Goblin Piledriver deck would be all about that.

Also today I noticed there was all alternate art version of Baral in the new set and that I could buy the artwork for 3000 gold. I said "lemme see if I can pull it from a pack with that much gold" and it was in the very first Aftermath pack I bought.

I'm still salty he got a funky Secret Lair artwork in paper magic but Arena only got it as a sleeve.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

wolfman101 posted:

I swear that the second I post about any deck online the algorithm starts putting me only against decks I am weak against. I was probably 30/40 yesterday. Today it is nothing but Sunfall and boardwipes into bombs.

Same but Thalia when I play control.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Olive Branch posted:

What decks are people running for this festival, out of curiosity?

I ran elves.

Deck
1 Freyalise, Skyshroud Partisan (J21) 26
1 Tyvar Kell (KHM) 198
1 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
1 Elvish Mystic (M14) 169
1 Citanul Stalwart (BRO) 175
1 Jaspera Sentinel (KHM) 178
1 Allosaurus Shepherd (JMP) 28
1 Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler (ONE) 218
1 Wildborn Preserver (ELD) 182
1 Skyshroud Lookout (J21) 30
1 Elvish Clancaller (M19) 179
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Gala Greeters (SNC) 148
1 Leaf-Crowned Visionary (DMU) 167
1 Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170
1 Skemfar Shadowsage (KHM) 110
1 Elvish Visionary (ORI) 175
1 Fauna Shaman (M11) 172
1 Dwynen's Elite (JMP) 389
1 Thorn Lieutenant (M19) 203
1 Elvish Warmaster (KHM) 167
1 Coalition Construct (Y23) 30
1 Fierce Empath (M21) 181
1 Elvish Archdruid (JMP) 391
1 Llanowar Tribe (MH1) 170
1 Circle of Dreams Druid (AFR) 176
1 Imperious Perfect (LRW) 220
1 Rishkar, Peema Renegade (KLR) 179
1 Marwyn, the Nurturer (DAR) 172
1 Gwenna, Eyes of Gaea (BRO) 185
1 Harald, King of Skemfar (KHM) 212
1 Beast Whisperer (GRN) 123
1 Canopy Tactician (KHM) 378
1 Craterhoof Behemoth (JMP) 385
1 Harald Unites the Elves (KHM) 213
1 Shaman of the Pack (ORI) 217
1 Tyvar the Bellicose (MAT) 48
1 Turntimber Symbiosis (ZNR) 215
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Sylvan Anthem (MH2) 176
1 Growing Rites of Itlimoc (XLN) 191
9 Forest (MIR) 347
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Lair of the Hydra (AFR) 259
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
1 Blooming Marsh (KLR) 280
1 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
1 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
1 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx (THS) 223
1 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

Horace Kinch posted:

Same but Thalia when I play control.

I remembered that Haughty Djinn control steamrolls white control decks, so now I am getting revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Got some gold to burn and didn't want to have to concentrate too much on a Sunday, so I did another MOM QD

https://www.17lands.com/draft/d6c68868724a4308ac1e9a366abb7640

As usual, very weird progression and pick order from the bots. I originally thought I would be RG, something I haven't done yet, but I didn't get any battle payoffs, had some good black cards, then at some point I realized that G just wasn't coming so I had to switch to B being a main color, and R was better than G all along so out the G cards went.

Now I got a bunch of battles regardless (a bunch of ways to flip them too tho), a WHOLE bunch of removal, absolutely zero sac synergy, and a Ragavan. I've never played with or against it, so I'm excited to see what he can do (probably will go 2-3 without ever drawing it lol)

I would generally be interested in playing MOM-brand Village Rites in this deck, but I can't think of anything to cut that isn't a creature, and I shouldn't cut creatures. Also not sure if Traumatic Rev #3 is worth playing as a can-be-a-two-drop card while generally overperforming. Thoughts?