Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mebh posted:

How the gently caress is it September? I'm a month away from 40. Fuuuuck.

Honestly being over 40 is all right, there's a whole layer of societal expectation that fucks off and you can just be whoever you are

I mean I know you can do that earlier, but it's easier now somehow. I should have listened to the Raggy Dolls earlier in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how does society even know how old you are?

People look different as they age, but honestly I think it's more that you feel it internally and people respond to that. I dunno, I really prefer being a middle-aged woman to being a young woman, that's for sure

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you must have an age/feeling spreadsheet?

i guess you begin to benefit from like mum energy? little boys know that mum will bollock them and you're beginning to benefit from being kind of adjacent to that.

I only recently started looking close to my age and I've noticed an uptick in my ability to terrify people when necessary which is pretty sweet in customer service situations. Kind of rooting for more grey hairs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Highlands is sheep surely.

Edit - I was always taught that chav was the British equivalent of redneck.

No, chavs are stereotypically city kids. It's just a gross classist insult for poor boys really.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

This is kind of a false dichotomy though. English has always been supplemented by loan words and slang words and blended words. 'Standard English' isn't a thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That's a p good headline and would also make an amazing gangtag

e: talk of nonstandard spelling reminded me of my favourite furious explosion of anger I read recently in the intro to a collection of old voyage stories. William Lithgow in 1640 put together a book about his travels, and evidently he'd had some critics be unkind about what he wrote previously. His spelling is pretty standard, it was by then - the Elizabethans were allowed to spell things however seemed good but that was earlier - but his word choices and punctuation are excellent.

William Lithgow posted:

If thou beest a Villain, a Ruffian, a Momus, a Knave, a Carper, a Critick, a Bubo, a stupid Asse, and a gnawing Worme with envious Lips, I bequeath thee to a Carnificiall reward, where a hempen Rope will soon dispatch thy snarling slander, and free my toylesome Travailes and now painefull Labours, from the deadly Poyson of thy sharpe edged calumnies, and so goe hang thy selfe; for I neither will respect thy Love, nor regard thy Malice: and shall ever and alwayes remaine, to the Courteous still Observant: and to the Criticall Knave as he deserves, Wm Lithgow

(A momus is a Greek god of mockery. A bubo is a painful sore. 'carnificial' here means 'of the executioner'. )

I like him.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 2, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've got a penguin book of English Folk Songs and they are all on three main themes, sometimes combined:

1) Let's gently caress
2) Everyone I know is dead
3) Eat the rich

solid stuff

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I got obsessed with lightning maps back when the heatwave was about to break. Yess, come, friendly lightning bolts, come gently caress us up

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well, if they are going to die, they'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

...sometimes I wonder if these Tory psychopaths sit down and watch/read A Christmas Carol and realise which person in the story they are.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

Went past a branch of Waterstones and they had Rowling's new book on sale at half price and it's still £12.50. So full price is £25, what the gently caress!

I know the Trusspocalypse is going on but yeah that's how much hardback books are now. You can get paperbacks that cost 20 quid if you are into history.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

God why are all our lady PMs such loving disasters, can we not elect one semi-useful woman one time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Tbf specifically-academic books have always been expensive as gently caress (like up to 100 quid) because the audience is small and it's mostly institutions not people buying off their own bat.

Oh sure but I'm talking pop history stuff that you find in Waterstones on the tables at the front.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean if you were the Queen and you knew you were about to die and your heirs are going to gently caress the institution you wasted your whole life trying to maintain, surely you'd be tempted to blow the whole thing up. gently caress it, invoke your privileges, take absolute power, start making laws, give it a go.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Does feel a bit weird.

We getting a day off or anything?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Truss announcing Chuck 3? Presumptuous unless she's got the inside line.

I was gonna say she should not have said that, I bet

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

it seems like the worst possible regnal name to me perhaps with the exception of King John II

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Libluini posted:

Nah, William taking the throne as William II, now that would be cursed

Not only because we already had one

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry to butt in but is the new prime minister really as bad as people say? I am a dumb American goon.

We would be considerably better off if she were replaced by a smiley face drawn on a paper plate.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, she was a very old woman who died, as very old people tend to. Now her son gets to be king.

I find the performative grief weird and the performative happiness a bit, idk, attention seeking? Like, adolescent edginess, dead baby joke kind of things. It feels like the culture wars have colonised every bit of public discourse, and what people say about this, on social media at least, is just another affirmation of what side they’re on.

Yeah, like - I feel a vague sense of melancholy while at the same time being completely in favour of the dissolution of the monarchy and I think it's okay to feel things, so long as you don't get caught up in the griefwank that's starting now. My dad died a couple of years ago and events like this bring it back to me, and it's weird to see people actively cackling. It's not as if her dying will have any *good* effect. It doesn't help anyone. And she didn't die in a hilarious way, like she tried to slap a servant and fell over or something, you know? She just died peacefully at home at a great age and some people are celebrating like we won something.

Also apparently we're not even getting any loving time off, or at least not much. I always assumed things would close down for a bit. gently caress sake.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Saying that the Queen was not responsible for the atrocities committed in her name is ridiculous. She was the head of state, her Royal Assent passed every lovely act. Even if her role were fully as symbolic as claimed and she was entirely without power, influence, or the ability to speak out, she could have quit at any time and taken her vast personal fortune to go raise corgis on one of her many farms. The monarch doesn't get to avoid responsibility for their nation's actions, by long tradition they are the nation.

Sure but I worry, as I've seen some other posters do, that laying it on her will have the effect of absolving the people who actually took the decisions that she rubberstamped, and performed the atrocities. You know?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Too many people clearly haven't learned their kings and queens from Horrible Histories.

I watched some of that recently and it's really good, and I'm glad that I'm over the phase of life that gets embarrassed to watch kids' TV.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lmao we have to take down all our window advertising and they're going to send a pic of the queen to put up.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I also like that the funeral plans apparently involve some sort of adversarial arrangement between old and young queens. I wonder if it will be like shark tank.

I did hear a rumour they're bringing Gladiators back

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I also like having an unelected figurehead just to like, shake hands and have dinner with other heads of state and look nice on magazines. But I feel like we could get that a *lot* cheaper by just appointing, like, someone lovely that everybody likes. David Attenborough or someone. Sue Perkins?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mrs McCluskey died?!

gently caress

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Ah I remember that from the Official British History Book, it's after Brutus Beefcake fights the sea men, but before the scrap with Brian Boitano and the Irish giants.

What *would* Brian Boitano do if he were here right now? I assume the BBC will tell us sometime during the rolling coverage when they run out of everything else to say.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Adults holding hands is a red flag anyway mind.

What now?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well I dunno. It's just the sort of insipid luvy duvy stuff that being allowed to slide has probably helped us end up where we are with these big griefathons.

Actually when you love someone it's nice to make physical contact with them. I'm just gonna say it, I don't care.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

stev posted:

Why would a colostomy bag be something to criticise her for?

They're bastards, you see

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll just clear off for the night. Didn't mean to offend anyone. I mostly post sincerely though.

I think my dad always told me holding hands was weird and thats now part of my broken character.

when I post I'm not saying I'm right, just what I think. I dunno.

Soz.

Holding hands is normal and good. Try it with your platonic friends. (cannot guarantee this will work if you present as masc, people hate it)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Our dog is a Yorkie/JRT mix and the sweetest possible girl. She's also pushing 15 and needs help jumping up on furniture and such now.

A couple months ago mum was sitting in the garden and saw a blur, heard a squeak, and the dog had absolutely murdered a rat that was trying to sneak along one of the flowerbeds. Just shot across, one shake, done. And then we had to spend half an hour trying to comfort the dog that no, in this specific instance, biting is okay and fine. She was sure she'd been bad. :3:

This is her, just before a haircut, attempting to get my attention at 2am from my doorway. She can't come in here, you see, because the cat is a tyrant.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The JRT we had before once dived into a hedge and came out with a rabbit. He didn't kill it, he was just holding it in his mouth all proud. Mum went 'TEDDY!' all shocked and he dropped it and it ran away. From that day on he always had to check inside the Rabbit Hedge in case there was another one.

e: I am a big fan of dogs with people names. My next male pet is going to be named Brian.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

My dog is a big softie. She 'caught' a rabbit the other day and did what she always does with small animals (cats included) - tries to pin it down and wash between its ears like a puppy. Gives them a good lick, then lies there staring at them til they get the courage to bugger off, terrified and smelling of dog.

That's loving adorable. Please show us your dog.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My house was cold as gently caress this morning. I'm sitting with a heated pad behind me and a sleevy blanket over me and I am comfy as hell. Not sure it'll hold up once the temp plunges but I can add layers. We're thinking we'll run the heat down at like 15C or something and then layer up. My mum is a disabled pensioner and I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on her. If she starts suffering from the chilliness I'm going to turn the heat up and tell the energy companies to gently caress right off, I suppose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

When you get the scritches just right, she smiles at you :D

Top class, 10/10, thank you

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm absolutely going to still be asleep. I don't get up before noon on a day off for nobody.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

crispix posted:

i honestly sometimes wish i was a person who enjoyed joining in and i'd get whatever these people are getting out of standing in a queue to look at a flag draped over a box

I mean - I don't think it's actually that hard to understand. It's bollocks, it's stupid, it should be done away with, but it's not *mysterious*.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My cat is kept warm by one of those heated pad things. She loves it so much I ceded it to her and bought a second one for myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I can't believe the kids are rollerblading again. What happened to scooters, are they over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just get one of the pawns up to the back rank and we're sorted for a new queen anyway