Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
And away we go!

League Deets:

• Format: 12 Team, Salary Cap (Auction), Yahoo
  • Rosters: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1FLX, 1DST, 1K, 6BN, 2IR
  • Scoring: .5 PPR, Yahoo default for everything else
  • Waivers: FAB with Continual rolling list tiebreak
  • Playoffs: 6 teams, Weeks 15, 16, & 17
  • Dues: $25, via LeagueSafe (link on the Yahoo league message board)
  • Payouts: 175 for 1st, 75 for 2nd, 25 for 3rd, 25 for most regular season points scored.
  • Draft Date/Time: September 6th, 5pm Pacific/8pm Eastern

Below is a list of who's who, and whether or not they've paid in. I'll update the table with team names on Thursday after the draft, and then once a week on Tuesdays going forward, so that y'all have an easy reference guide. Our 12th manager, kalensc, hasn't logged into Yahoo yet, but I'm hopeful that's coming soon so we don't have to grab an alternate. We officially have 12 teams (phew)!

NOTE: If you pay and your name isn't going to be an easy match for tracking, please hit me up via PM and whatnot. :)

One last item: I'm absolutely not committed to the league name. If y'all wanna spin up some punny/dad joke-tier ideas, list 'em here, and we can vote on 'em.

Edit: Removing discord info because draft is a wrap, and replacing it with a mantra for this season:

https://twitter.com/thefantasyeng/status/1567197680803188738?s=21&t=ShUju4uDVLMYljpL1WuVsA

generic one fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I’m Ben. But my username is not.

Also can someone explain to me like I’m dumb how waivers work? Do I get more money? Should I save some of my $200. I am new to salary cap and am going yo be horrible.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Snowmankilla posted:

I’m Ben. But my username is not.

Also can someone explain to me like I’m dumb how waivers work? Do I get more money? Should I save some of my $200. I am new to salary cap and am going yo be horrible.

The 200 is separate from the in-season FAB, so spend away on Tuesday! Once we get into the season, everyone gets a fresh set of bucks to spend on waivers.

Make sure to check out some of our fellow co-managers work over at Football Absurdity, they do great stuff for auction leagues! :)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

The 200 is separate from the in-season FAB, so spend away on Tuesday! Once we get into the season, everyone gets a fresh set of bucks to spend on waivers.

Make sure to check out some of our fellow co-managers work over at Football Absurdity, they do great stuff for auction leagues! :)

Thanks for the shout-out. For those that are new to the format, here are 10 first-timer do's and don'ts:

- DO pat yourself on the back for making the leap to salary cap/auction. It is insanely fun, and easy to learn. All ~10 of my leagues are salary cap because I never want to go back to snake drafts, again.

- DO realize that the terms "salary cap" and "auction" are interchangeable. There has been an industry-wide push to change the name of the draft format away from auction. Something about "buying" mostly black people so you can "own" them and profit from their "labor" without compensation brings up historical parallels that just make things pretty awkward.

- DO NOT print out a sheet of salary cap values and expect to bid to those values and pass and not have a horrible team. In snake draft, one can just grab whatever guy is at the top of the list and feel good if they get them later than they were expected. In salary cap, a guy going for less than listed value means EVERY SINGLE OTHER manager had the opportunity but decided there were too many question marks for it to be a worthwhile start.

- On that note, DO expect to pay up for the top players. All it takes is for two managers to love a player, and you've got a bidding war on your hands. DO expect for most of the players you love to spark a bidding war.

- On that other note, DO try to take at least a few minutes beforehand to decide on some players you absolutely love at around their listed value. The most satisfied managers post-draft are the ones that can look at their entire roster and see 100% players they truly believe are special.

- DO NOT be afraid to get some players you love for well over listed value. It's salary cap, you want to leave with a team you never could get in snake draft. It's far better to pay up early and have to wait a while for the market to cool to round out your team than to have a ton of money left over that you just can't spend fast enough because all the remaining players are going cheap. Any leftover dollars disappear *poof* you don't get them for free agency or anything.

- DO try to leave at least $2 for each bench spot. If you only have $1 bids left, you have to wait until your turn, nominate a player you want, then pray no one else wants them and has a couple bucks (someone will). With $2, you have the opportunity to try to win any player that is nominated: That's 12x as many chances per round in this league.

- DO NOT do "Stars and Scrubs" or "Wait for Values" strategies. For years those were the two main schools of thought and I still come across articles espousing these antiquated notions. You can get stars AND values in the same draft so limiting yourself to one or the other is needlessly knee-capping your team

- DO hop in the voice chat. Not sure if OP is making one or, if not, I can link one. There is so much more to discuss in a draft where everyone has a chance to get every player, it's always riotous.

- DO post any questions you have in here. I literally live for giving salary cap advice in late-August/early September and spend hours doing it every single day.

I love you!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 4, 2022

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

generic one posted:

Ok! Thanks. I’ll read up. The waiver money is for all year, correct? So if I spend it all week one that’s it for me?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That’s for the amazing advice drunk nerds!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowmankilla posted:

Ok! Thanks. I’ll read up. The waiver money is for all year, correct? So if I spend it all week one that’s it for me?

Mostly. You can still bid $0 on players so it's not like you won't be able to make any wire moves the rest of the year. But, yes, your FAB budget does not renew.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Snowmankilla posted:

Yup!

You have to weight how much you think other teams are gonna bid. For instance, some 3rd string RB might go for a few bucks if the guys ahead of him are banged up. But if some lunatic drops like Javonte Williams after a bad game you might actually want to bid most or all of your budget on him if you need RB help.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

- DO hop in the voice chat. Not sure if OP is making one or, if not, I can link one. There is so much more to discuss in a draft where everyone has a chance to get every player, it's always riotous.

If you wanna fire one up, I will edit it into the OP and will happily join. :)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

If you wanna fire one up, I will edit it into the OP and will happily join. :)

Okay, great!

So I'm streaming this on Twitch as I do all my drafts and mocks. This is the Discord voice chat I enable for the stream.

https://discord.gg/TEZ5D7yy

This has the added benefit that a few proto-goons who aren't aware of what SA is will wander in and the overwhelming goodness of the SA way of life will transform them.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Great work setting this up generic one and thanks for the helpful advice Drunk Nerds. This is my first auction draft ever, be gentle.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Any word from Kalensc? Cutting it kind of close.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
I gave them until 5pm Pacific today. I’ve got another goon interested, so if kalensc hasn’t accepted by then, we’re going with the alternate.

generic one fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 6, 2022

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
kalensc has officially lost claim on the spot. I sent the alternate the go-ahead via PM, but I've also posted in the main FF thread, just in case that falls through, too.

If anyone knows someone who wants to jump in, let me know. I do know some non-SA degenerates who might jump on the opportunity.

We're still waiting for payments from three people: Saetare, mega dy, and The Big Jesus. Everyone needs to settle up prior to draft time.

Edit: I’ve got a non-SA guy from one of my dynasty leagues interested, so the last spot will be filled one way or another. He’s good people. Might be able to convince him to sign up for an account.

generic one fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 6, 2022

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

kalensc has officially lost claim on the spot. I sent the alternate the go-ahead via PM, but I've also posted in the main FF thread, just in case that falls through, too.

If anyone knows someone who wants to jump in, let me know. I do know some non-SA degenerates who might jump on the opportunity.

We're still waiting for payments from three people: Saetare, mega dy, and The Big Jesus. Everyone needs to settle up prior to draft time.

Edit: I’ve got a non-SA guy from one of my dynasty leagues interested, so the last spot will be filled one way or another. He’s good people. Might be able to convince him to sign up for an account.

I've been in at least a dozen money leagues with Sataere and he always pays up. He just takes a while because he works a ton. If it comes down to it I'll front his entry fee

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I’ll get my payment in the morning. Haven’t used that site before and have been on the road all weekend.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I've been in at least a dozen money leagues with Sataere and he always pays up. He just takes a while because he works a ton. If it comes down to it I'll front his entry fee

Totally get it, and thanks for the info. :)

The Big Jesus posted:

I’ll get my payment in the morning. Haven’t used that site before and have been on the road all weekend.

S’all good. The mobile version of that site is a little clunky, so might wanna give it a shot on a laptop or something. Lemme know if you run into any issues!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Tomorrow will be the hottest day in the recorded history of Northern California, we'll see if I have electricity at 5 PM! 💀

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

coronaball posted:

Tomorrow will be the hottest day in the recorded history of Northern California, we'll see if I have electricity at 5 PM! 💀

Dare I ask how warm it’s gonna be?

And a quick update: We are officially full up, folks. I tagged in my acquaintance from a dynasty league, sent the invite last night, and they're signed up and paid in. I didn’t want to wait any longer than we already had. Scrambling on draft day is no fun.

generic one fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 6, 2022

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I’m on the coast near Santa Cruz where it stays a bit cooler and it was 110 here yesterday. No one has AC, was rough.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Please don't melt, west coast goons. :ohdear:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

A bit nervous that I am reading all my advice from a person in the league I believe. Probably not a good sign that I have been a football absurdity/Beer sheets guy for years?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Snowmankilla posted:

A bit nervous that I am reading all my advice from a person in the league I believe. Probably not a good sign that I have been a football absurdity/Beer sheets guy for years?

I mean… I think it’s safe to say most folks who get into this format are familiar with Football Absurdity, and all of what Drunk Nerds posted is great advice. I think it’s an awesome opportunity to get to be in a league with a couple of them. At twenty-five bucks, this is a pretty good learning experience that I think will make me a better manager, regardless of how well I do this season. :)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Snowmankilla posted:

It is bad business for us to run a fantasy football website and give bad advice just to try winning a $25 league. Evan's BBQ strategies for auction drafts is the best auction advice available. This year, we've had a huge influx of auction guys coming into our discord thanking us because there is no good auction advice on the internet. Our goal is to grow auction drafts in the fantasy football community because snake drafts are dumb and boring.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Sataere posted:

It is bad business for us to run a fantasy football website and give bad advice just to try winning a $25 league. Evan's BBQ strategies for auction drafts is the best auction advice available. This year, we've had a huge influx of auction guys coming into our discord thanking us because there is no good auction advice on the internet. Our goal is to grow auction drafts in the fantasy football community because snake drafts are dumb and boring.

I mean, that's exactly what someone trying to con hard working goons out of their 25 bux would say... but yeah who cares, it's not a BML and it's up to each of us to decide how to utilize the resources available to us.

I know it's pretty late to be suggesting this but how do people feel about cutting the kicker and perhaps even team defense?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Levin posted:

I know it's pretty late to be suggesting this but how do people feel about cutting the kicker and perhaps even team defense?

So, getting the league filled up by draft day was already a bit of a scramble (I appreciate y’all for signing up with such a short timeline), so I kinda feel like looping everyone in on a significant last minute change wouldn’t be ideal.

I’d absolutely be willing to table that for a vote if we renew next season. Cool? :)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowmankilla posted:

I live for serious competition: I'll regularly call my opponent Sunday morning and say "hey you're starting a player who just got declared out, I don't want you to take a zero there." I want my opponents in this league to have a step up from the start.

I also want to share the joy of salary cap drafting with as many people as possible.

It's funny, every single year my BML opponents print out my salary cap values list, then accuse me of making a fake list when I don't robotically bid to the listed amount and pass. Why would I need to make a fake list when they can't even use the real one logically, lol.

Anyway, see everyone tonight! I think I can get off work early and hop in the voice chat a half hour before draft time.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 6, 2022

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

I live for serious competition: I'll regularly call my opponent Sunday morning and say "hey you're starting a player who just got declared out, I don't want you to take a zero there." I want my opponents in this league to have a step up from the start.

See, I have the opposite philosophy on this. If a manager can't be bothered to check their lineup then that is the level of competition they're offering and I'm gonna take it.

quote:

I also want to share the joy of salary cap drafting with as many people as possible.

Auction is good. The only draft I'd rather do snake in is the goon 20-team league because that already takes as long as a 12-team auction draft.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Sataere posted:

Haha. I don’t think I’m getting hustled. I just read things like the bbq strat and realized all 12 of us probably can’t make that happen!

I am pumped to try a big boy draft!

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 6, 2022

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Snowmankilla posted:

Haha. I don’t think I’m getting hustled. I just read things like the bbq strat and realized all 12 of us probably can’t make that happen!

I am pumped to try a big boy draft!

It wouldn't be much of a BBQ if everyone can't feast!

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

It wouldn't be much of a BBQ if everyone can't feast!

Hey, DN. Which voice chat channel you use? A see a few.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

generic one posted:

Hey, DN. Which voice chat channel you use? A see a few.

I'll change the title right now

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Levin posted:

I mean, that's exactly what someone trying to con hard working goons out of their 25 bux would say... but yeah who cares, it's not a BML and it's up to each of us to decide how to utilize the resources available to us.

This made me cackle

Drunk Nerds posted:

This poo poo right here is why DN and I are soul mates. I don't give a poo poo about money. I'm in it to win and I want to beat you at your best so you can't come back later and give me some lame rear end excuse about why I only won because you made a mistake. I have a huge competitive streak, but I get zero satisfaction if my opponent isn't bringing their A-game.

gently caress, I've spent the last few months trying to develop a gambling metric for DFS and fantasy football because I think I'm smarter than everyone else and I want to be able to quantify it mathmatiically. I got problems

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Well. I hate my WR and could have fixed that with better foresight. Overall fun draft and I learned a bunch. Thanks for being helpful!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Snowmankilla posted:

Well. I hate my WR and could have fixed that with better foresight. Overall fun draft and I learned a bunch. Thanks for being helpful!

Hit me up if you’ve got some top end RB talent. I’ll be looking for trade opportunities tomorrow sometime.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Very demanding format but I can see why some vastly prefer it to snake drafts. Thanks Generic One for setting this up and the Football Absurdity crew for hosting us. I had fun and learned a lot. No idea how well I did but I suppose time will tell, I look forward to meeting you all on the gridiron.

Some things for me to consider should I do this again next year:
- Have a list of players I think will be available for $1-3 that I wouldn't mind having on my team
- Spend a little more on whoever is filling my flex spot

edit: Funnily enough I ended up with a fair number of the same guys in my redraft league: Travis Kelce, David Montgomery, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Brandin Cooks and James Cook. Might need to change my name to something cook related if either or both do well.

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 7, 2022

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Levin posted:

Very demanding format but I can see why some vastly prefer it to snake drafts. Thanks Generic One for setting this up and the Football Absurdity crew for hosting us. I had fun and learned a lot. No idea how well I did but I suppose time will tell, I look forward to meeting you all on the gridiron.

Glad you decided to give it a shot, and more than happy to accommodate! And yeah, thanks to Drunk Nerds and Sataere for hosting. :)

I bailed on a couple of long-ish term snake draft leagues this season (I did help find replacements), so I felt like I had the bandwidth for an extra league this season, and I'm stoked we got it rolling with such a short turnaround. Unless you're balls-out recruiting on the findaleague Reddit sub (bleh), that can be tough to do. So, I appreciate y'all stepping up!

The reasons I love this format are many, but most importantly I think it's because of two factors: 1) The ability to get your dudes, and 2) the flexibility the format allows for constructing your roster. There aren't many ways to get Kupp and JT in a snake draft, but if you really want them in a salary cap league? Yeah, you can get them. You're gonna have to get creative in filling out the rest of your roster, but it's workable.

Then there's the flexibility aspect. If you wanna try rolling with a stud WR type of roster, you can decide to do that, and you're not steered toward one strategy or another based on who's available when your pick is up. I feel like it's a lot easier to adapt to what's goin on in the draft than it is in snake.

This is the first season I'm only doing salary cap redraft leagues (I am in several dynasty leagues that used snake drafts for the startups, but can't really count those the same way), and I don't see myself going back to snake drafts at any point ever again.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I liked how this draft turned out. After my beer league auction on the 14th went off a bit wonky, I went back to my previous strategy that's worked mostly well over the years and I like this team better than that one. Also helps that I had that prior draft to get a rough idea how players were being valued. Makes me think I'm on the right track for the season when a lot of the guys I've been eyeing keep getting bid up.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Raging Boners here. Man auctions are so weird (and so long!). I like my team but dear god I hope no one gets hurt because I quickly ran out of any money to spend on depth.

I love doing tradesies so feel free to hit me up once my roster is devastated by injuries around week 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Er, can we unlock waivers a day early? I am currently stuck without a kicker and starting the Rams DST vs Buffalo because I did not expect waivers to be locked through Friday.