Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Holy cow, the original System Shock on an original '90s PC.

That's... pretty high effort.

The original game was kinda typical-ish? I seem to think that there were a lot of games that had a similar feel and story to this. But it was SHODAN who made System Shock special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

rojovision posted:

I'm curious what some of those other games might be, especially if they flew farther under the radar than SS did. I've played through the first Ultima Underworld at least, which I assume was more popular because Ultima, but I'm not sure. SHODAN has been great so far, especially with the voice work and associated FX.

I'm gonna have to do research, aren't I? You know I'm old, right? I'm going to have to shove around my few remaining marbles and figure out what came out 1994-ish.

Oh man, there were so many flight sims back in 1994! I miss it. I think I was happier back then...

I can't believe Doom and Robocop vs Terminator were 1993! Weird. But that's not what we're looking for.

Right.

Corridor 7 was an FPS in which you hunted aliens, and got health from special rooms, and got ammo from various dispensors.

Creature Shock had you exploring an abandoned spaceship, and the crew of the ship turned into weird alien/demon/things.

Cyberwar, I think, had the same aesthetic. It was based off of some movie too.

Iron Angel of the Apocalypse was a weird and trippy sort of game. I don't remember the story, but it had the same weirdly lighted corridors and weird mutant and robot enemies.

Sensory Overload was an FPS, and had an inventory system, and stuff to read and look at and things.

Pathways into Darkness had a non-linear path through various levels, an inventory, and a leveling system.

This isn't a comprehensive list, by the way. I seem to recall another game that had a thing about plugging into cyberspace to hack various things, and then walking around a spacestation or something, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Veloxyll posted:

Space Quest V?

No. C'mon man, don't take the piss. That was an Adventure game. I was talking about FPS games that had the same sort of feel as the original System Shock.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Crazy Achmed posted:

From what I know, pathways into darkness has a similar vibe in that it's as much (or more) dungeon crawl adventure than it is fps action game.
Although from my read on its original design document, doom seems like it was meant to be much more similar to system shock than how it ended up.

[edit]blake stone was december 1993 so nearly 1994. It had friendly NPCs, vending machines, and I think also backtracking to previous levels? But at the end of the day it was still very much scifi wolf3d.

Wasn't Doom supposed to be an RPG? Or am I thinking of Quake? And then Daikatana became what John Romera always wanted to make, and Quake II became what John Carmack wanted to make, and they were both poo poo because they both needed someone to balance out the other's ego-trips?

System Shock was Warren Spector, right?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Tiggum posted:

I use every available save slot in every game I play. I can't imagine any reason not to.

I keep saving in the same slot. Having multiple save files feels very untidy.

And that's also why I usually end up not being able to finish games, because I'll screw something up on my primary savefile, and then don't have any way of rolling it back.