Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Kortel posted:

Crafting though? Holy gently caress does it have problems. I shouldn't need T1 resources to craft T6 items.

I don't have enough experience in the game overall but I do think this makes sense in games - if implemented right. Otherwise no sinks for items which players from the end game don't need leads to them constantly losing value. But I may change my mind once I play a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It's funny how any time I check back in on the game, there seems to be a new announcement about some weird bug that was recently introduced. However, this is the first one I've seen where the devs are threatening players with suspensions/bans/etc. for using the 'exploit':

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That's such a weird one to get mad about

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kortel posted:

It has a lot of problems but gathering ain't one.
Crafting though? Holy gently caress does it have problems. I shouldn't need T1 resources to craft T6 items.

Exactly this, if crafting made more sense, and wasn’t such an unreasonable grind, then I think I would have stuck with New World for longer.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Most of the lore of the world is scattered throughout the world as little notes and books rather than forced at you via quests. It’s one thing I liked about leveling, finding a farm overrun with mobs then reading the farmer’s perspective in the notes around as his family starved or whatever.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Ort posted:

Most of the lore of the world is scattered throughout the world as little notes and books rather than forced at you via quests. It’s one thing I liked about leveling, finding a farm overrun with mobs then reading the farmer’s perspective in the notes around as his family starved or whatever.

I have a thing against notes. I don’t mind books and I’m passionate about collecting both but no-one writes notes to drop for the next adventurer with monsters knocking at their door. It’s just unrealistic. Still, there is some good info there if you don’t just skip through quests.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Discospawn posted:

It's funny how any time I check back in on the game, there seems to be a new announcement about some weird bug that was recently introduced. However, this is the first one I've seen where the devs are threatening players with suspensions/bans/etc. for using the 'exploit':

Funny is that the economy of New World is already busted after dozens of duping incidents, so who cares?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They managed to implement a fix for the Expedition 'exploit' they were threatening players with in less than 48 hours, which is blazing fast by AGS' standards:
https://twitter.com/NWGameStatus/status/1720286243496546586

As a reminder, when the Expansion launched there were Main Story Quests that were broken for a huge number of people for several weeks, and even the bug that caused some microtransactions to not give players what they paid for took longer to fix. The game's dev team always has such weird priorities.

RagnarokZ posted:

Funny is that the economy of New World is already busted after dozens of duping incidents, so who cares?
Interestingly, they kind of "fixed" this problem with the release of the Expansion. With the increase in Gear Score and the removal of the ability to upgrade most gear, they effectively made all pre-Expansion loot worthless. Then, they added a new tier of resources to collect and made endgame crafting revolve around an incredibly expensive process that is hard-capped at being done once a day. Finally, they've made it so that a significantly higher % of loot that drops is Bind on Pickup, making it impossible to sell on the Auction House or trade with others.

As a result, all existing materials/resources/gear/etc. from before the Expansion's release plummeted in value, and there are few ways that a new dupe glitch could be easily exploited if it was found. However, the side effect is that the game's economy as a whole is now an even more underwhelming part of the game by design, which was already a problem due to the lack of functionality in the Auction House and how every player on a server can level up every gathering/crafting skill to max rather than force players to specialize and thus work together to fill the crafting needs of the population.

There's also still a common complaint from players that resource-gathering bots infest every server, but it's impossible to know the extent of that problem. Often times, the players raising the issue admit that their ideal playstyle would have involve spending all their gametime running around, gathering resource nodes in an efficiently planned loop, which is the same behavior as the bots they're reporting.

Of course, none of this can address the problem of how the economy reacts when new or casual players stop logging into the game, and the only people left playing are max level characters who already have all the gear they want, which is a situation we're already approaching just 1 month after the Expansion.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Teleporting resource bots are an issue. I enjoy just gathering and crafting. A lot higher level nodes on Orion get tapped out almost instantly and by folks that just pop in to existence. I've been stuck on the 160s Engineering for the last week thanks to Oricalcum spawns being mostly inaccessible. There's a few low level area spawns that I fight non bots for.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They released a Dev Update video today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j3-RM4DGuo

It's not very exciting, but the biggest takeaway is that most of the features on their 2023 roadmap that were scheduled for Season 4 are being delayed. The top thread on the game's subreddit illustrates how much content has been pushed back:

They haven't released an updated roadmap that goes past this Winter, so at the moment this is the only definite commitment the devs have made to the game's future for now. I don't think it's a sign that they're planning on mothballing the game at the start of 2024, but it's still not something that gives players a lot of confidence that it's worth investing more of their time (& money) into the game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Edit: There are some other things that demonstrate budgetary concerns from the New World team, like their announcement that they will no longer be supporting Voice Overs for Latin American Spanish, Italian, or Polish, and their recent dramatic increase in the localized prices for several regions that had historically low prices due to exchange rates (e.g. Argentina & Turkey). The South America region competes with the US-West region for being the 3rd/4th most active region (out of 5), but I suppose that's not meaningful to the devs if the South American players were only paying pennies on the dollar for each of their in-game purchases compared to other regions.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Was the Umberto fight always a piece of garbage overtuned annoying fight? Because this fight sucks.

Edit: I got him to the 35% point after an annoyingly long time then the game crashed.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 6, 2023

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Was the Umberto fight always a piece of garbage overtuned annoying fight? Because this fight sucks.

Edit: I got him to the 35% point after an annoyingly long time then the game crashed.

:umberto:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish I were going into an instance to have a sit-down chat with Umberto Eco.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Discospawn posted:

They released a Dev Update video today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j3-RM4DGuo

It's not very exciting, but the biggest takeaway is that most of the features on their 2023 roadmap that were scheduled for Season 4 are being delayed. The top thread on the game's subreddit illustrates how much content has been pushed back:

They haven't released an updated roadmap that goes past this Winter, so at the moment this is the only definite commitment the devs have made to the game's future for now. I don't think it's a sign that they're planning on mothballing the game at the start of 2024, but it's still not something that gives players a lot of confidence that it's worth investing more of their time (& money) into the game.

getting some bioware anthem roadmap vibes....

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Last King posted:

getting some bioware anthem roadmap vibes....
It has been 2 months since the Expansion was released, and the player population has already reverted back to what it was pre-launch. That makes the year-over-year player count look pretty dire:

The game is currently at an activity level it took until March of this year to reach (after the Brimstone Sands update & Fresh Start Server launches), and the release of such a content-lite Season next week seems unlikely to bolster those numbers. Even when the Seasons mostly met expectations, you can see that the switch to a Seasonal model didn't affect the population drop-off for 10 months out of the year (the slight bump in player count at the end of June was mostly the result of the game going on sale for 60% off for the first time, it's biggest discount to date).

For a broader context of the game's success after launch, here's a zoomed-out graph showing the height of the game's user base after it's initial launch:

If the game was originally greenlit/budgeted/funded based on the level of success of the game's first 2 months, then clearly everything after that point has been pretty dismal for the developers. Even if they lowered their expectations dramatically and only planned on matching last year's performance with the annual update, it's a pretty big gulf between the 2 years. There's the 1 notable change where this year's DLC was $30, but I'm not sure how much that offsets having so many fewer players browsing the cosmetic cash shop or buying any of the new QoL microtransactions.

However, I've learned to never try to predict what Amazon Games will do, so I am still interested in what kind of 'roadmap' they release in February. It might be nothing but the same cyclical Seasonal Events & generic bullet points like "balance Updates" & "New Season Pass", or they may do something crazy like announce no new content on Steam for 2024, while they work on porting New World to consoles as a single-player game (with optional co-op for PvE content). It would be funny to see them admit they couldn't compete with WoW, but that they feel more comfortable going head-to-head with titles like Dragon's Dogma or any number of generic open-world RPGs. I'm not convinced they could even get a title through the console certification process, but the idea of, "Tripling our revenue without creating any new content," is something I can imagine somebody in AGS coming up with.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 8, 2023

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I didn't even realize the first graph was cut off. What a loving crater. lol and lmao

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I was going to log in to check out the new season 4 that launched today, but it appears that season 4 has been delayed due to "issues".

I tried to log in anyway and discovered that uh, apparently that's not going to happen anymore:

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
I started playing this a few weeks ago on a fresh start server. I've been having a lot of fun, honestly but am still leveling. Level 50, and I think my biggest concern is population and what there is to do at level cap. We shall see, but I'm optimistic (I quit playing mmo's a long time ago and have/had no expectations from this game).

Thread seems like it's a no, but any goons still playing at all? I joined a new company that I've never seen use chat in 2 weeks.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Dante posted:

I was going to log in to check out the new season 4 that launched today, but it appears that season 4 has been delayed due to "issues".

I tried to log in anyway and discovered that uh, apparently that's not going to happen anymore:

Heh, their Twitter feed from the last 24 hours addresses your concerns by saying that nope, they fixed that problem, and then showing that they had to delay Season 4 by 24 hours at the last minute:

Considering that yesterday's delay came at 4:55 PM, I think there's still a good chance we'll see another one if AGS reaches the end of their workday without successfully creating a build.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Double-post, but the Season 4 Update was launched this morning, and it's hosed up in a bunch of different ways, but the funniest thing is still that Twitter page:

In addition to server stability problems, there are issues with people's stuff having disappeared from their houses, the new Seasonal Content being disabled/unplayable, players being unable to claim rewards they earned from previous seasons, a repeat of problems where players are unable to progress the Main Story Quest like when the Expansion dropped 2 months ago, etc.

Heh, even while typing this, they made another Tweet where they're bringing the servers down to try to fix some of those things:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I am truly, genuinely shocked that Amazon corporate hasn't just pulled the plug on this thing. It absolutely has to be losing money at this point, right? And been losing money for a year plus?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

SpaceDrake posted:

I am truly, genuinely shocked that Amazon corporate hasn't just pulled the plug on this thing. It absolutely has to be losing money at this point, right? And been losing money for a year plus?

Microtransactions and a handful of whales, that's all you need.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
There's also a nonzero chance there's some unsung hero of a studio head just trying to spin like no one has ever spun before so people can keep their jobs a little while longer.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

This season had so much content reduced that it was essentially just 1 new Expedition (Glacial Tarn) and the Seasonal story quests. Here's this:

Also, the Seasonal Story quest still stops before it's supposed to, ending at a quest that players can't interact with, even after the server maintenance earlier. Also, servers are still crashing randomly, as this Tweet implies.

Edit:

SpaceDrake posted:

This is the kind of thing I'd love to know the answer to, but I suspect we'll never find out.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 13, 2023

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

poo world

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

Steam currently shows 23,437 people playing right now, and its 9:53am on the west coast. So I don't loving know, I don't get what it is that is so appealing about this MMO to so many people. I still don't have the expansion, I might end up buying it if it ever goes on sale.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The PVP is actually good. I'll probably come back when 3V3 arenas are cross-realm and ranked.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Steam currently shows 23,437 people playing right now, and its 9:53am on the west coast. So I don't loving know, I don't get what it is that is so appealing about this MMO to so many people. I still don't have the expansion, I might end up buying it if it ever goes on sale.
This sounds incredibly cynical, but I think every modern MMO, Live-Service, or AAA game will attain some low % of players who just decided that it's "their game" now, and they stick with that decision until the servers are turned off or it's removed from Steam. New World just had such an incredibly high number of initial buyers that the small % of ride-or-die players is still significant compared to other games. It's interesting to compare its population numbers with a game that was similar to it in terms of huge initial population and then dramatic turning of the tides, Cyberpunk 2077:

Cyberpunk isn't even a Live-Service game by traditional standards, but even before the Cyberpunk DLC was released and people kind of turned around on the game, it was pulling similar numbers as New World.

In more related news, servers are still crashing, players are still getting kicked from the game, and the final boss of the new Expedition (now enabled) is glitching out for many groups of players, making it impossible to complete. As always, New World's Twitter account is here to reassure us:

Edit: 1 specific US-East servers, Pollux, has been having mass reports of people unable to login with their character on that server, which may be linked to the fact that the server was previously scheduled to be merged with another server, but the merge was cancelled after a minority of players complained that it would take away their ability to participate in Wars. There's just lots of good stories coming out of the game this week.

Edit 2: AGS Customer Support is telling players that the Expedition is disabled when players try to report that the final boss is bugged:

And here's an example of some of the silly bug reports coming out of specific servers with bizarre symptoms (besides the most common one of not being able to play the game at all):

quote:

Character Name: Dodge Raider (but it happens to all my alts)
Issue: When I summon my mount, he appears but can only run in a straight line. You can't turn him at all. yesterday (Wednesday), this only happened on my alts in US East. Today, it's happening on all my alts.
Time & Date: now
World/Server: US East- Maramma and Orion; US West - El Dorado

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 15, 2023

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Everything about the game is pretty bad aside from the PvP mechanics, they are the best out of any MMO. That's really the only reason I can see why you'd play it.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The normal limit is 35.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 16, 2023

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They released an end-of-the-year Dev Update Today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHUIsR6MWg

It's only 9 minutes long, and it essentially tells players to set their expectations very low for the next 6 months, as you can see in their newly released "roadmap":

However, the handful of features they did announce were interesting, like gamepad support, a 1-click dungeon finder, and some UI changes, along with repeatedly teasing a 'big announcement' in May.

I theorized in an earlier post that they might try something crazy in 2024, like porting New World to consoles, and the thought actually matches up really well with what they said & hinted at in the dev update. I can't wait to see how much of a clusterfuck that turns out to be if my suspicions are correct.

Edit: Part of the reason why it would make sense for them to pursue console ports is because they no longer need to worry about losing goodwill from the game's Steam community; they've already lost it all. Even the game's few remaining, dedicated content creators have been disappointed by the game over the past several months, and the videos they're making now are kind of depressing to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D6_-NFLuHE

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 18, 2023

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Finally hit level 65, now I'm super overwhelmed on what to do. I've been trying to get in on all the events I can and I did a gorilla farm with the company for a few runs and got a bolt caster but honestly I still don't know what weapons I want to use or what even goes together, asides from scaling. But I'm having a lot of fun so far! My biggest concern is still: what all is there to do now besides farm for artifacts. The gear grind seems easy ish, but I haven't even looked at what best in slot looks like.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Eerkik posted:

Finally hit level 65, now I'm super overwhelmed on what to do. I've been trying to get in on all the events I can and I did a gorilla farm with the company for a few runs and got a bolt caster but honestly I still don't know what weapons I want to use or what even goes together, asides from scaling. But I'm having a lot of fun so far! My biggest concern is still: what all is there to do now besides farm for artifacts. The gear grind seems easy ish, but I haven't even looked at what best in slot looks like.
Gear grind is much much easier than before. After 65 the PvE endgame is fairly dull, there's mutated dungeons, artifact grinding and one proper raid in the big worm thing. The PvP opens up at 65 though and its pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Continuing to collect prime sub cosmetic trash every now and then and I bet it makes me count as a player in their analytics.