Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's...a lot, to get into. This game originally started as something (huge survival pvp focused) and switched to something more mainstream, but then didn't allow for that mainstream due to server restrictions. It promised a ton, capitalized on zero, and essentially burned 90% of the playerbase that hyped it up and was ready for it. There are pages and pages, and hours and hours, of content describing what went wrong. The best way to describe what happened is: they promised the world and not only didn't deliver, but delivered on 0% of what they said, if not, a negative percentage. It's really difficult to explain how bad they hosed up, in just a few sentences. And i'm not writing up the paragraphs, if not chapters, it would take to describe it.

You can say something, but when you deliver on 0 of it, that's bad. But when you not only deliver 0 of it, but change things, not in the games best interest, that gets even worse.

They have absolutely poo poo the bed on this game, from day 1, and while changing things, sometimes in the better, it still stands that this game has been run by complete poo poo heads, and still is. We've been saying it for months now, but it needs a FFXIV treatment. Take it offline, revamp it, change everything, and try again. Unfortunately, the devs have even abandoned the development software and have moved on, so the likelihood of that happening is right next to 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I only started playing this a couple weeks ago but I'm surprised at the amount of vitriol this game seems to bring up with MMO players. I'm actually having a good time with it while leveling so far. Granted I'm still pretty clueless about balance, endgame, and PvP related issues, but at least in the low to mid level range the environments look great so exploring is fun and so far I like the tradeskills and gathering (though admittedly the crafting is becoming a bit tedious to level at the level 80-100ish range most of mine are at now).
Most people would accept that the MMO genre is about investing time into your character for continuous, meaningful progression.

New World largely fails at this because once you hit max level, it introduces a new form of grinding with the Gear Score & Expertise system. Once you complete that grind, the only further form of progression is to go for Best in Slot items for your loadout. The problem is that while there is a new grind introduced, there is not really any new content after you initially hit Level 60. The PvP modes you unlock (Outpost Rush & Arenas) are largely the same exact experience that they were at release (1 map, 1 game mode, poor matchmaking, poor scoring systems, etc.), and your progression only lets you reach an even playing field against the other max level players. The PvE modes you unlock are a rather limited number of 5-man Expeditions, and their Mutated variants that are the same experience except with tougher enemies and random mutator effects to artificially increase the difficulty.

So you reach max level, unlock all this content, and then realize that the only reason to grind that content is to... get marginally more effective at continuing to grind that content again. While you could break down most MMO's into a similar endgame treadmill, New World's attempt at this was so blatant and unrewarding that most players weren't motivated to stick with it. They were content to experience all that Level 60 content a handful of times, and accept that they had fully explored the New World.

Maybe you'll enjoy the game and have a different experience than most players, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/review after you finish the recently revamped Main Story Quests and begin the game's longterm gameplay loop.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Discospawn posted:

So you reach max level, unlock all this content, and then realize that the only reason to grind that content is to... get marginally more effective at continuing to grind that content again. While you could break down most MMO's into a similar endgame treadmill, New World's attempt at this was so blatant and unrewarding that most players weren't motivated to stick with it. They were content to experience all that Level 60 content a handful of times, and accept that they had fully explored the New World.

Maybe you'll enjoy the game and have a different experience than most players, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/review after you finish the recently revamped Main Story Quests and begin the game's longterm gameplay loop.

Oh this is totally going to happen to me. It happens in every MMO I play anymore, even ones I really like and recommend to people without much reservation (FF14, GW2). I generally enjoy leveling, story, exploring, and learning and playing around with various game systems (housing, crafting, etc). I'm too old with too little free time to do the thing where I run the same max-level dungeon I'm already bored of10 times a week for a token so I can trade in 25 tokens for a slightly upgraded pair of pants.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Oh this is totally going to happen to me. It happens in every MMO I play anymore, even ones I really like and recommend to people without much reservation (FF14, GW2). I generally enjoy leveling, story, exploring, and learning and playing around with various game systems (housing, crafting, etc). I'm too old with too little free time to do the thing where I run the same max-level dungeon I'm already bored of10 times a week for a token so I can trade in 25 tokens for a slightly upgraded pair of pants.
Fair enough, it sounds like your expectations are different than most MMO players, which is a very good thing for New World. The people who enjoyed the game most consistently were those who played it casually and weren't focused on min/max-ing or rushing to endgame, and who were satisfied with the value they obtained from the game if they didn't play much more after reaching the level cap. I'm not using 'casual' in a pejorative sense, I just mean literally not taking the game too seriously.

The negative sentiments you've seen online are more from the players who tried to engage with the game the way the developers hoped people would; by making it their new 'permanent' game-world, where they would log in daily for continuous character progression and wealth accumulation, and use the game as a social hub for coordinating the War and territory control activities with friends. If you tried to make the game work like that, it just fails on almost every metric possible, and in the year and a half since release the developers haven't made significant progress in fixing those issues.

Speaking of negative sentiments, here are the game's cosmetic skin offerings for February:

Tribal Owl & Shamanic Lynx

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like the one on the left except for its hood.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, i think they both look good, apart from the helms.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

For a bit of additional context, in case it isn't clear, the dead tree branches and cherry blossoms are part of the outfits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want metal plated armor cosmetics. The art team on New World really loves to go all in on nature.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm not sure if it's my server (west coast fresh start server) or the game, but this game is something special with the community. And by special I mean the absolute worst. I think when most people think worst they're probably focusing on players being aggressive, insulting, and unhelpful but generally I can get past that (by ignoring it).

This game though... I hit 60 last week which has brought out most of the problems but let's talk about before you hit 60 with the spam. The endless, constant, unceasing amount of spam. In all the channels. If it's not enough to fill up your entire chat window with 90% of the same message it seems like most people ignore it but it's very common for the same message to get broadcast out every 20-30 seconds over and over again until someone gets what they want or give up.

And the group invites. Not only do ECRs generate a poo poo ton of traffic (and using the recruitment channel as the method of directing people) and drown out everyone else, but the vast majority of the people communicating are brain dead. And I mean that literally. Say someone is running at ECR at Mines, in between the flood of "x mines" you'll get someone who says "What's next" and someone will say Myrk, which is always next after mines, and then you'll get a new flood of "x myrk", like people literally can't comprehend the run is in the middle of mines and not at myrk yet. Or there won't even be an active run going on and someone will login and ask about it, or maybe suggest one start up, and several people will instantly pipe up with "x (location)" as if they somehow think the translation of the previous comment is an active run is starting up. And this will happen constantly, over and over again, multiple times an hour. Yes, even the off hours like at 1 in the morning. We won't even get into the people that spam requests for group when a run is going or the people who will respond to a run going on in mines with "x casts" or somewhere completely elsewhere in the game.

Side note for this trying to get information from anyone in the game has also been completely pointless. For example, I've been trying to figure out how the tagging system works, especially after my first ECR. The closest I've ever gotten anyone to having a coherent thought they've been willing to communicate is people telling me to just group up or go solo, who cares about anything else.

Then I hit 60. Now before 60 I kept to myself, if someone was in an area killing poo poo I'd casually side up with them and we'd kill poo poo together, no problem. Other than that my only group experience was running through the pre-60 dungeons once each, and those were tolerable. A bit annoying using the group finder but being still in the middle of playing GW2 having any sort of group finder option is a blessing.

Now that I'm 60 I've been unable to do a single dungeon run after a week. I've recently found out about the fact that named gear is excluded from the expertise limit and so you can bump up your gear score to 590/600 by wearing that. I'd bought a bunch of cheap 599 gear off the trading post so I wasn't really looking at/for 590 gear yet, expecting to look deeper into the system once my expertise was up there. Based on that I'm assuming the reason I can't get any invites, when they do pop up, is because I look like an extra useless person at whatever gear score shows up on their end since I'm not around 590. However that's still a guess, because no one will respond with an coherent answer when I try and ask them.

And how about invasions, I've been in four of them. The first two were explicitly called out in chat as someone looking to fill bodies and were happy with 50+ players and newcomers. Both times I was kicked. I'd never actually said anything, the first time I was idle as I tabbed out to join the discord they were asking us join and the second time I resolved to try and just meld in as much as possible by following a crowd. No explanation, the second time I'd remembered the person organizing things at the center of the fort and messaged them but got no response (to be fair the event was just about to pop up). I could live with someone responding with a gently caress off or screw you, but the silence is the real annoyance. The third and fourth invasions I got in were dead zones with just a few people and we got instantly over run.

I've played a good chunk of the MMORPGs out there since the early 2000s, and I've never been more annoyed and disgusted with a "community" as exists here. For all the complaints about content and broken promises, to me it's as clear as a bright sunny day why this game is failing. You can actually have an MMO that has limited group content, but you can't have one that alienates the average player through silence and actively makes you feel like brain cells even outside of the global chat.

Edit:
Oh yeah, one other thing. I make it a habit to say something whenever I join a group. Just something simple like "Hello folks" or "How's it going" I've found in the past a lot of times it works to draw people out and have a friendly interaction if they want to talk which usually makes for a more entertaining group. It will usually still result in silence but every now and then it works. I've done that in this game and after a couple dozen groups (after 60 it was dungeon lobbies that didn't go anywhere or the group made for an ECR) it's been silent. Every, single, time. This game makes WoW players seem downright chatty.

nessin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 18, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think the thing is that if you're playing NW in February of 2023, you're either new, or your brain is broken at fundamental level beyond the broke-brained-ness in your typical MMO player

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I think the thing is that if you're playing NW in February of 2023, you're either new, or your brain is broken at fundamental level beyond the broke-brained-ness in your typical MMO player
When you consider that the US-West Fresh Start servers had a peak concurrent player count of 8,500 across 5 servers in November, and they're now down to just 1,100 on 1 server, you have to assume there's some kind of self-selection bias involved.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

your brain is broken at fundamental level beyond the broke-brained-ness in your typical MMO player

lol there's no need to call me out like this

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

lol there's no need to call me out like this

Don't worry, I'm playing Anarchy Online as a new player in 2023, my brain is also irreparably broken.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
I'm mostly playing Chivalry II, the war crimes simulator.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I go back to hold games all the time. poo poo, in the past 3 months i've played MMOs that pre-date World of Warcraft.

It's a testament to how bad New World is.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ShowTime posted:

I go back to hold games all the time. poo poo, in the past 3 months i've played MMOs that pre-date World of Warcraft.

It's a testament to how bad New World is.

i think everquest has released 2 expansion packs in the time its taken new world to release 4 cosmetic outfits

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm mostly playing Chivalry II, the war crimes simulator.

Chivalry II is so god drat good!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

blatman posted:

i think everquest has released 2 expansion packs in the time its taken new world to release 4 cosmetic outfits

this comment made me check to see if everquest was actually still goin and, holy poo poo, they have a 2023 roadmap and everything

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Looks like the game is moving towards a 'seasons' model with a free track and a premium track for those that purchase the season (20 bucks).

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/seasons-announcement-and-faq

Here are more details on the upcoming season coming to PTR including some balance stuff.

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/ptr-season-one-fellowship-and-fire

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Looks like the game is moving towards a 'seasons' model with a free track and a premium track for those that purchase the season (20 bucks).

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/seasons-announcement-and-faq

Here are more details on the upcoming season coming to PTR including some balance stuff.

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/ptr-season-one-fellowship-and-fire

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sometimes I think about coming back just to run the new dungeons and then leave again, cuz I still think this game has really cool dungeons, but I lm not sure I want to even spend the time especially cuz I'd probably have to grind out a bunch of new gear to do it

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

FrostyPox posted:

Sometimes I think about coming back just to run the new dungeons and then leave again, cuz I still think this game has really cool dungeons, but I lm not sure I want to even spend the time especially cuz I'd probably have to grind out a bunch of new gear to do it

No one does regular runs anymore, it's all M6+, which makes it very hard to find groups if you're not the sort of person who wants to run M6+ groups.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Part of yesterday's announcements was that the new PTR would go live today:

Here's AGS' first announcement of the morning:

I can't help but think this reflects poorly on the big, elaborate roadmap they released yesterday, or their decision to start offering $20 battlepasses every 3 months.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 23, 2023

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I only started playing this a couple weeks ago but I'm surprised at the amount of vitriol this game seems to bring up with MMO players. I'm actually having a good time with it while leveling so far. Granted I'm still pretty clueless about balance, endgame, and PvP related issues, but at least in the low to mid level range the environments look great so exploring is fun and so far I like the tradeskills and gathering (though admittedly the crafting is becoming a bit tedious to level at the level 80-100ish range most of mine are at now).

What are you talking about. This is my favorite MMO

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The leveling to lvl 60 is the most enjoyable part of the game. That's part of the temporary success of the fresh start servers. Everyone remember the release and how fun open world PvP was, the newness of an MMO, the progression. Then they got slammed in the face with a wall of grinding and monotony at lvl 60.

Enjoy the game now, in these first few weeks you are playing. When you hit 60, you'll see.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Okay lol lmao I'm gonna try this game. If all I enjoy is the levelling, then at least I'll enjoy that much. The sentiment here seems to be mostly negative, but just in case, is there a goon presence I should seek? Or should I just take whichever server is most populated at this point?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

No one does regular runs anymore, it's all M6+, which makes it very hard to find groups if you're not the sort of person who wants to run M6+ groups.

I mean I'm not theoretically opposed to running M6 groups but it'd probably require me to grind a ton more gear, which I am not particularly interested in. I literally stopped playing shortly (like, hours) after I finished the original main quest line so I'm sure my gear is not up to snuff.

So, I suppose it isn't happening.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Okay lol lmao I'm gonna try this game. If all I enjoy is the levelling, then at least I'll enjoy that much. The sentiment here seems to be mostly negative, but just in case, is there a goon presence I should seek? Or should I just take whichever server is most populated at this point?
Use https://nwdb.info/server-status and choose the most populated Legacy Server for your region. Depending on where you're playing from, there may only be a single server. There is no organized presence.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

New world skin just dropped

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

FrostyPox posted:

I mean I'm not theoretically opposed to running M6 groups but it'd probably require me to grind a ton more gear, which I am not particularly interested in. I literally stopped playing shortly (like, hours) after I finished the original main quest line so I'm sure my gear is not up to snuff.

So, I suppose it isn't happening.

If you’re doing end game muts you’re stacking offensive stats and running minimal con + damage resist gear and jewelry and there’s no way in hell I’m going though the gear grind to get four more sets of gear to 625.

I just gave up and uninstalled because I couldn’t find anything for m1-m3 runs on my server anymore. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

If you’re doing end game muts you’re stacking offensive stats and running minimal con + damage resist gear and jewelry and there’s no way in hell I’m going though the gear grind to get four more sets of gear to 625.

I just gave up and uninstalled because I couldn’t find anything for m1-m3 runs on my server anymore. It was fun while it lasted, I guess.

This is where I'm at as well. For all its flaws I really like the core of the game and it kept me on the hook waiting for cross-server matchmaking for instances. I hit the wall at mutations where nobody on my server was doing anything around my GS so it was impossible to advance. Now that they've announced p2w in the form of seasonal content, this is where I get off the ride.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

yeah I figure at this point the game's population is too small and too top-heavy to actually progress if you're behind if you don't have an established group to play with.

It was definitely fun when I did play it but like it just didn't have any staying power for me.

EDIT: Also most MMOs don't get this kind of combination of top-heavy and small population as quickly as NW did, and I don't think Amazon has the inclination to do anything about it. Most MMOs that reach this stage are usually very old, and many of them (EQ springs to mind) do something about it, like streamlining the levelling process. I think EQ completely re-did the entire levelling process, from XP curve to the zones you level in, at one point to make it possible for new players to at least have a tiny chance of catching up to endgame. I don't see this happening for New World and it's just going to continue to slowly circle the drain.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 5, 2023

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I played PvE on the Fresh Start servers until about halfway through Brimstone Sands when I realized, "I could just play Elder Scrolls Online and have almost the same experience."

Tanking and healing in this game is an absolute nightmare with how fidgety the abilities are, plus the "slot a gem to taunt" mechanic is just plain loving stupid.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: Also most MMOs don't get this kind of combination of top-heavy and small population as quickly as NW did,

There’s no reason to roll alts and Amazon actively discourages it by limiting character slots

No need for alts, no need to go through pre 60 content ever again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do we know so far about the upcoming battle pass? other than it will kill the game for good. how will leveling it up be done?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What do we know so far about the upcoming battle pass? other than it will kill the game for good. how will leveling it up be done?

Procedural quests on a bingo like board you complete to earn the points for advancing on the battle pass reward track.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

nessin posted:

Procedural quests on a bingo like board you complete to earn the points for advancing on the battle pass reward track.

Sounds similar to what Fallout 76 does and will likely be just as bad.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

fo76's battlepass board just superficially looks like a game board, it's actually just a linear line. also the "quests" are like, drink 25 nuka colas in a week or use an emote in another player's camp lol

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Here's a screencap of New World's Activity Card battlepass system:

The randomly generated tasks are on the left, and each one fits into 1 of 6 categories with an associated icon. When you complete an activity, you can 'stamp' a location with the same icon on your Activity Card, which earns you 250 Seasonal XP. You need to complete at least 1 line of 4 icons on your card (for 400 Seasonal XP) in order to turn in your card (for 300 Seasonal XP) and get a fresh one, or you can continue to use the same card and complete more activities with different icons to form more lines. Each battlepass rank requires 2,750 to move from 1 to the next, so fully completing 1 card would give a player 3 rank-ups, but only completing a single line would give you 1,700 XP, a little more than half a rank.

There are some obvious problem with this:
-the list of activities are wildly disproportionate in the amount of time/effort/luck required to complete them
-the Activity Card only has 10 hard-coded permutations, each of which is clearly designed to require players to complete multiple activities from each of the 6 categories in order to completely fill up the Bingo card
-after stamping all the icons of 1 type on an Activity Card, those activities can no longer earn you Seasonal XP until you turn in your Activity Card for a new one with fresh icons to stamp (because the stamps are what earn the XP, not the activities themselves)

It's funny because this Activity Card system seems to be AGS' attempt to put their own spin on the battlepass system, and I'm pretty sure players will hate it because of how restrictive it will feel to most people. I think the optimal progression will probably be to just focus on quickly completing Activity Cards with the easiest/fastest tasks, and spending Azoth to re-roll the activities list on the left to ensure you get those overly-simple tasks. This still won't be much fun, but it'll be significantly more efficient than actually trying to stamp every icon on a card.

Of course, they'll allow people to just buy battlepass ranks from their cash store, in increments of 5, 10, and 20, so this annoyance will be magnified by how every part of the game is now becoming monetized, and whether AGS' poor decisions are now being clouded by their need to suddenly self-fund their game's continued existence.

Edit: I should also note that the battlepass rewards are pretty lackluster, for both the free and premium tracks, and the "Seasonal Story Quests" can all be completed in a single play session despite being the only new content for 3 months (besides the new Expedition). I think their seasonal model is going to fail spectacularly, because nobody will have a good reason to pay for it, but the move to monetizing in-game content will eliminate 1 of the foundations of the game's defenders ("There's no need to buy anything besides the based game's 1-time price!"). It's a move that will push some people away from the game, while also adding an additional barrier for new or lapsed players who are thinking about getting into New World.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Okay, I stand corrected! Other then repeatedly doing a bunch of boring, samey chores it's not like FO76.

Discospawn posted:

It's funny because this Activity Card system seems to be AGS' attempt to put their own spin on the battlepass system, and I'm pretty sure players will hate it because of how restrictive it will feel to most people. I think the optimal progression will probably be to just focus on quickly completing Activity Cards with the easiest/fastest tasks, and spending Azoth to re-roll the activities list on the left to ensure you get those overly-simple tasks. This still won't be much fun, but it'll be significantly more efficient than actually trying to stamp every icon on a card.

Of course, they'll allow people to just buy battlepass ranks from their cash store, in increments of 5, 10, and 20, so this annoyance will be magnified by how every part of the game is now becoming monetized, and whether AGS' poor decisions are now being clouded by their need to suddenly self-fund their game's continued existence.

Edit: I should also note that the battlepass rewards are pretty lackluster, for both the free and premium tracks, and the "Seasonal Story Quests" can all be completed in a single play session despite being the only new content for 3 months (besides the new Expedition). I think their seasonal model is going to fail spectacularly, because nobody will have a good reason to pay for it, but the move to monetizing in-game content will eliminate 1 of the foundations of the game's defenders ("There's no need to buy anything besides the based game's 1-time price!"). It's a move that will push some people away from the game, while also adding an additional barrier for new or lapsed players who are thinking about getting into New World.

Wasn't this the problem with Halo Infinite's battlepass system, at least at launch? Something like you would get a batch of random tasks to complete for battlepass XP but some of the tasks were garbage so players would spend a hard to get currency to reroll the tasks?