Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Video should be right at:
https://www.apple.com

Starts at 10am PT (about an hour from now).

What is going to be announced today?

-New phones as usual
-New Watch as usual, including a Pro model which has been all but confirmed
-New AirPods Pros?
-iPad 9th gen?

Also iOS 16 will most likely be released this week. iPadOS and MacOS later this year.

We are not likely to see any new Macs today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
If the Apple Watch pro is 900 dollars and doesn’t any have a weeklong battery it will flop super hard big time

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

If the Apple Watch pro is 900 dollars and doesn’t any have a weeklong battery it will flop super hard big time

I think anyone expecting a weeklong battery is setting their expectations really high and will be sorely disappointed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Tim Apple never not funny

Looking forward to my Dick Tracy watch to being announced today.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think anyone expecting a weeklong battery is setting their expectations really high and will be sorely disappointed.

I can accept a 3 day battery if it costs 500 dollars and not a cent more, if the rumors are true and it’s 900 it’ll be a complete waste of money and wont even compete with Garmin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I'm guessing the new Pro watch will last "36" to "48" hours. And be $949 for the base, and $1079 for the cellular version. And I will laugh very heartily.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Tim Crabapple.

Also, I keep saying it, I wish the watch did Fitbit style high frequency heart rate sampling. What's all his AFib hullabaloo about, if it don't do that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would like a new watch to not die in 2 hours if you’re using GPS+Cellular.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would like a new watch to not die in 2 hours if you’re using GPS+Cellular.

For just 950 dollars you can last 2 hours and 15 minutes!!!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

You know it's going to be 18 hours, same as the other watches.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Put a headphone jack back on them phones, just to gently caress with people, Tim

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I can’t think of what they’ll add to the phones besides a lower cost big screen phone and always on display.

And if they make a big deal of always on display that will be a big lol since man, it’s the one thing android has had for a long long time. Like, 2014.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I can’t think of what they’ll add to the phones besides a lower cost big screen phone and always on display.

And if they make a big deal of always on display that will be a big lol since man, it’s the one thing android has had for a long long time. Like, 2014.

The new lock screen stuff definitely points to an always on display.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's the YouTube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux6zXguiqxM

I'm still perfectly happy with my almost 2 year old 12 Pro Max, so I won't be upgrading. Still looking forward to seeing what new features they're bringing to the 14 line.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I am extremely interested to see what SOC is in the base 14's

If it's last year's chips then we're finally approaching the end of yearly updates, as a hardware strategy. Are we gonna have an iPhone 19, iPhone 20 in a world where the phones are literally not improving year over year?

Just go the automotive route of color way updates and name them after the years in which they are relevant, let's get on with Peak iPhone era.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have a 12 Pro. There's no real reason to get a 14 Pro other than efficiency. More efficient CPU, more efficient 5G modem, slightly increased battery. My nephew needs a new phone, so the 12 Pro gets offloaded.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Soul Glo posted:

Put a headphone jack back on them phones, just to gently caress with people, Tim

Nah, put a headphone jack on the watch.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The only thing that has the genuine probability of being interesting this year are the watches, the phones are just iterative nothings, if you have an iphone 12 you can wait another few years before upgrading becomes needed.

What I’m genuinely interested in is if the new ‘low power mode’ in the normal watches will help increase battery life to the point that they can say it’s a 24 hour watch.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What do people use their watch for? I have my phone in front of me on my desk or with me on couch / in bed all day long. I have considered getting the iWatch just for running outside without my phone but that one single benefit isn't worth hundreds of bux for me.

I get that not taking the phone out of a pants pocket or bag is a benefit, but idk if I have a strong use case to rationalize the purchase.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Inner Light posted:

What do people use their watch for? I have my phone in front of me on my desk or with me on couch / in bed all day long. I have considered getting the iWatch just for running outside without my phone but that one single benefit isn't worth hundreds of bux for me.

I get that not taking the phone out of a pants pocket or bag is a benefit, but idk if I have a strong use case to rationalize the purchase.

I’m getting it for the fitness tracking and integration with my phone and no not have a reason to look at my phone that often. But mainly for fitness tracking.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inner Light posted:

Wallet/Apple Pay, exercising/activity tracking, notifications/quick replying and Siri/HomeKit are my main use. Between the watch and the ipad, I actually use my phone the least.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Inner Light posted:

It was great when I drove for a living to see notifications and texts and calls without dicking around with my phone while driving.

Haven’t worn it since I got a desk job though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Inner Light posted:

What do people use their watch for?

So I can see goatse whenever I check the time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

HERE WEEEE GOOOOOOO

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Music is loving JAMMIN

e: thank you for the iWatch replies, I will see if your perspectives change the value prop for me, appreciate it!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

even tho i haven't had an iphone in years i still love these events. the production quality. the schlocky corporate schtick. the hype. but especially the commentary and snark in these threads.

no work meetings coming up so i'm strapped in and ready to hang with yall

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Give me a VR/AR headset!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Hughmoris posted:

Give me a VR/AR headset!

I believe the credible leaks/rumors peg this as something closer to a December special event, not today.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Muslim woman on screen the woke left have taken over Silicon Valley

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gimme da loving battery life, Tim

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wwwwwwatch here we go.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh here comes the PR wank.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Do people actually write loving letters to Tim Cook

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

"dear tim apple"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...people write Tim Apple letters about their experiences with the Watch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Complaining about prices sure.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

do people actually write posts on an old dead forum? the answer to your question is almost definitely*

*they're probably emails tbh

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

George Kansas posted:

I believe the credible leaks/rumors peg this as something closer to a December special event, not today.

:mad:

Yeah, not expecting any news on it today but that is probably the one piece of tech I'm actually excited about. I really hope that market rapidly accelerates when Apple enters it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
lol “buy the Apple Watch in case you fall into a trash compactor” is a helluva thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Afib confirmed and Emergency stuff