Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Any solution to the notch basically involves them jettisoning Face ID and/or the selfie camera until technology allows them to hide that behind the display so solve that for them and then you can have your dream phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

AlternateAccount posted:

It's cool what they're managing to do with the camera, but they hand wave away that a TON of what you see is software and enhancements you can't really control.

This. I know it probably doesn't give a super vibrant image in phone camera reviews, but I'd like a toggle for a "turn off all the goddamn pixel loving you're doing automatically"-feature. ProRAW might be ok if they leave all the development settings to the user.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bottom Liner posted:

I just reset my iphone to factory (with no backup/restore) because 80% of the storage space was filled with "System Storage" and after 2 weeks, its filled itself back up with minimal apps installed or anything at all. I don't know what the gently caress is going on with iOS.

Yeah next phone I'll be doing this again, and as usual taking a screenshot of all my screens/folders so I don't scratch my head wondering which of my nine billion apps I've tried over the years were actually worth keeping around.

The fact there still isn't a new version to mass edit your phone screens on a laptop/desktop like we used to back in the iTunes days is still incredible. When that feature came out it was a cause for celebration, I hate the tediousness of doing it on the phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fourwood posted:

Any solution to the notch basically involves them jettisoning Face ID and/or the selfie camera until technology allows them to hide that behind the display so solve that for them and then you can have your dream phone.

Oppo has a phone with the front camera behind the screen, which isn't perfect but more than adequate for the IR part of faceid. I think oppo has patented that tech tho.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

128gb level entry storage for the Pro is kinda lame, I was hoping for 256 at that pricepoint. I feel I "barely" keep anything local on the phone these days and I'm usually at 100gb or so so would like more breathing room.

If I was to start fresh I think the 128 would be fine but yeah at this point I'm floating around 100 at all times and don't want to go back to janitoring my phone so I guess they got $100 from me.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bottom Liner posted:

This keynote convinced me to go to a pixel pro. First time since the original iPhone I’m gonna try android full time. I had an original pixel as a secondary device and it was fine.

Honestly I just told my family to all get an SE. It's a fantastic phone for a low price.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

fourwood posted:

Right which is way worse than the notch with 0 useless pixels!

You've mistaken the number for the important part when it's actually that both portions of the display are rendered useless. One is just pretending to not be.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
While they obviously won't let you complete the order yet you can go all the way to the "finish" button on Apple right now and with the trade in at AT&T it's $2.75 a month for 36 months for a standard size pro with the 256 upgrade.

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

This keynote convinced me to go to a pixel pro. First time since the original iPhone I’m gonna try android full time. I had an original pixel as a secondary device and it was fine.

Definitely wait for the Pixel Pro 7. I'm on a Pixel Pro 6 and it's been a dumpster fire with all of the issues I've had (lovely battery, modem issues not receiving calls, overheating). I'm going to be switching back to iPhone after being on Pixels since the first one.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Need an iPhone Ultra that is ruggedized for climate change lol.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

FUUUUCK the operating temperature for the new phones is 0 to 35C, they are going to melt in the summer.

Well it’s certainly something that the ambient temperature of certain parts of the country are outside of the phone’s operating range.

Certainly something… bad.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I live somwhere that has regular 39-42 degree Celsius summers unless you’re an insane person who stands in the sun all day you’ll be fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Time to for to see if Best Buy has any good trade in offers. That’d be about the only way I consider a new phone this year. Carrier offers all seem pretty poo poo now that they’re locked into being monthly credits + forcing you into their current unlimited everything plan.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Al-Saqr posted:

I live somwhere that has regular 39-42 degree Celsius summers unless you’re an insane person who stands in the sun all day you’ll be fine.

I bike and hike a lot in Florida and even in a bag with only Bluetooth audio running my 12 overheats to the point of shutdown.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 7, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Bottom Liner posted:

I bike and bike a lot in Florida and even in a bag with only Bluetooth audio running my 12 overheats to the point of shutdown.

Well yeah nothing can withstand satans rear end in a top hat state, Florida.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Wait for apple to make a HVAC case for their phones once the average summer temperature gets over 40C globally.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Another year, another underwhelming iPhone event. Absolutely no reason to upgrade if you have one of the previous 5 generations. Also they got rid of the titanium apple watch and make you upgrade to the ugly huge "ultra" watch. Fails on all counts. Thanks, Tim Crapple.

Signed,
A disgruntled shareholder.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My wife still has an XR and wants to upgrade just for the better camera. She is always asking for my phone (13Pro) when there's something specific she wants to take a picture of.

Just need to decide which is the best course option - upgrade her to a 13 Vanilla, upgrade her to a 14 Vanilla, or give her my 13Pro and upgrade myself to a 14Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks Tim Crapple.

Battery life sucks, price sucks, lack of new features suck blah blah blah etc etc.

See you all later this fall.