Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OldSenileGuy posted:

lol “buy the Apple Watch in case you fall into a trash compactor” is a helluva thing
I was laughing so hard at that lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Yes, going into the loving artic circle will mean being cold. Writing about it is being needlessly smug

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

lol “buy the Apple Watch in case you fall into a trash compactor” is a helluva thing

Apple's "one more thing" for 2022 appears to be "be afraid of everything"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I would rather die than owe my life to Tim Apple

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

it's legitimately cool that an apple/smartwatch can give you a heads up about potentially/actually serious health issues

but don't all the disclaimers all basically say that it's not for serious medical use? or have they gotten some actual certifications to make it legit?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
This is the PR equivalent of that ‘boil an potato smush with fork an botter NOT A RAW’ recipe. Just get to the goddamn product.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
People always joke about falling into the toilet, but what do you do when it actually happens? With the Apple Watch,

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Korn?! Is he feeling like a freak on a leash?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
i like my watch a lot but holy poo poo that was cringe

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

also lol that an apple watch can save your life but my fitbit sometimes can't even read my heartrate while on my exercise bike

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's legitimately cool that an apple/smartwatch can give you a heads up about potentially/actually serious health issues

but don't all the disclaimers all basically say that it's not for serious medical use? or have they gotten some actual certifications to make it legit?

The small print actually says "We'll take credit for a positive outcome. Negative outcome? Well, we warned you."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The #1 smart watch in the world (out of 2 smart watches).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bezels too big

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

The small print actually says "We'll take credit for a positive outcome. Negative outcome? Well, we warned you."

:hmmyes:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's got FDA approval

https://9to5mac.com/2022/06/06/apple-watch-gets-fda-approval-for-afib-history/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Give us the loving battery stats

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
That landscaping looks like garbage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ShoogaSlim posted:

also lol that an apple watch can save your life but my fitbit sometimes can't even read my heartrate while on my exercise bike
To be fair, some data scientist guy on YT reviewing fitness trackers found that the AW is the most accurate optical tracker.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
“The best Apple Watch yet! By far! As of yet! Uncontested! Totally amazing! For the next 364 days! Buy it now! Pretty please!”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buy the watch or die

:hmmyes:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Swim proof? Use IP standard not make believe bullshit

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

how many times are they gonna toss the ball to another team member to tell you about one product

mattfl posted:

It's got FDA approval

interesting!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Watch always looks really cool to me but I don't think I'd have any use for it personally

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

If they don’t mention any improvement to battery I will poo poo my pants

Also women please don’t give Apple your ovulation data Jesus Christ

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Honest question from someone not in the Apple universe: can the watch be a legit "life alert" for senior citizens? My folks are getting older and I worry about them falling and not being able to stand up without help.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My series 4 is getting long in the tooth so it's time to upgrade!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Temperature sensor on wrist is nice but how much use will it have on a 24h basis?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Honest question from someone not in the Apple universe: can the watch be a legit "life alert" for senior citizens? My folks are getting older and I worry about them falling and not being able to stand up without help.

not an apple watch owner but i am pretty sure this + more is included

nerox
May 20, 2001
Apple Watch: Learn when to have sex so you can make a new generation of apple product buyers!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Apple watch has fall detection and will take voice commands like Call 911... so ya!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder if they'll use the temp sensor for anything else other than cycle tracking. Like enhancing the other AI backed algorithms with additional input.

--edit: Nevermind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hughmoris posted:

The watch has had fall protection for a few years now to cover exactly this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mattfl posted:

My series 4 is getting long in the tooth so it's time to upgrade!

This is me too. I guess I'm in this to see what's new in the 8, but I'm also really open to seeing if the 7 gets some deep cuts if nothing really speaks to me about today's features.

And honestly, when I say "long in the tooth" I think the S4 battery just stinks now. Everything else still feels pretty snappy and useful.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hughmoris posted:

Yes. It has a fall detection and can be set to automatically dial 911.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow they’re spending a lot of time on ovulation cycles

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ShoogaSlim posted:

not an apple watch owner but i am pretty sure this + more is included

mattfl posted:

Apple watch has fall detection and will take voice commands like Call 911... so ya!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The watch has had fall protection for a few years now to cover exactly this.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes. It has a fall detection and can be set to automatically dial 911.

Thanks!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The main drawback of using a watch for senior citizens is getting them to actually charge the watch daily.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

If they don’t mention any improvement to battery I will poo poo my pants

Apple Watch 8 now comes with pants making GBS threads notifications to log in Apple health every time you poo poo your pants

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hughmoris posted:

you can make emergency phone calls from the watch, and regular calls for a fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

me, sitting at a restaurant next to a table where a woman's apple watch dings loudly

i glance over and see that their ovulation cycle is irregular

now i know more about a stranger than i wanted