Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Inner Light posted:

What do people use their watch for?

I had mine as a step counter and as a message reader so I didn’t have to pull out my phone. I never really used any more features besides that, and eventually I felt my watch made my connectedness to my phone too “tight” and didn’t want a haptic/visual prompt telling me to look at my phone. Then having a dedicated charger that I had to use each night was kinda a drag. I sold it to a friend for a fifth of what I paid then I bought a cheap Casio from Walmart.

That all said, I’d love a reason to get an Apple Watch again. Meh idk what I’d want to bring me back into Apple Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Al-Saqr posted:

Also women please don’t give Apple your ovulation data Jesus Christ

apple is like the one company that i'm pretty confident you can trust and 1) would actively fight to prevent turning over your data to anti-abortion state institutions and 2) would do their best to make sure they can't access the data in the first place

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
All this woman health data shouldn't be allowed to be share to anyone in the us given how regressive laws on reproductive rights are getting ratified by the day

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If it can tell me when my wife is on her period, I'm in.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

me in 2032, listening to death metal in my car headbanging and steering wheel drumming

apple watch: you've been in a car crash! calling emergency services and shutting off your apple car to keep you safe!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Quadrupled IMU sampling, no bueno for battery lifetime.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The new accelerometer and gyroscope maybe will mean that apple watch will stop counting my driving as steps so i won't be getting awards anymore :(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

oh my god they're doing nothing with the battery hahahahaha

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

sportsgenius86 posted:

“ Please avoid your wife for the next few hours” is a pretty good feature NGL

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
advanced microphone sense to detect when you yell "oh shiiiiiiit!" in the car

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

what's the count on apple employees it's taken to talk about a single product now?

5 or 6 i think

nerox
May 20, 2001
The apple watch sure can do a lot of stuff and all I use it for is to keep my phone on silent all the time, check who is calling/texting/emailing before I bother getting out my phone, knowing the time and date, and keeping up when my next client appointment is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Inner Light posted:

What do people use their watch for? I have my phone in front of me on my desk or with me on couch / in bed all day long. I have considered getting the iWatch just for running outside without my phone but that one single benefit isn't worth hundreds of bux for me.

I get that not taking the phone out of a pants pocket or bag is a benefit, but idk if I have a strong use case to rationalize the purchase.

Fitness tracking, telling the time at a glance, media control, all daily use cases for me, but bar none the most used is ApplePay.

Since the iPhone went to FaceID I have never once had a smooth payment experience, vs my watch which is always just ready.

So a lot of overlap between phone and watch, except for payment. And for me it's 100% worth it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"I'm so sorry, how did your husband die?"

"testing apple watches"

"....."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You've been pulverized into pudding by a high speed crash but your watch will survive to ask if you've been in a crash and all your fingers are too broken to press 'cancel'

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

10:16 am Series 8 has all-day 18-hour battery life.

lmao of course, gently caress off

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just plug your partner cycle into your iphone and it will tell you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tim what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck are you doing

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh huh, low power coming to S4? Suddenly interested since my battery life is poo poo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So it’s still 18 hours and low power mode will be in every other Watch model lol

Time to buy a cheap series 7 if the pro turns out to be trash

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

pulverized into pudding

:five:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Midnight to match the macbook air or red because why not.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Al-Saqr posted:

Also women please don’t give Apple your ovulation data Jesus Christ
So is the end-to-end sales pitch just BS?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Not sure why anyone thought they’d change the battery life at this point.

e: lol especially if they’re gonna release a long-life “pro” model or whatever the gently caress

fourwood fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 7, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Low power mode is cool although I think the only time I'm not getting a day plus already with my battery is when I'm using betas and the phone and watch have some issues communicating with each other.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

fourwood posted:

Not sure why anyone thought they’d change the battery life at this point.

Are you also trying to say that the new iPhone won’t have USB-C?!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Low power mode is available on all models it’s not a hardware thing lol there’s no reason to get an 8

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Odd about the lower power mode. It isn't in the watchOS 9 beta up to this point. Must be something they're going to add later?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

10:16 am Series 8 has all-day 18-hour battery life.

lmao of course, gently caress off
Eh, without AOD, I am down to 50-60% battery when I put it back on the charger after 24 hours. 40% with some activity tracking. AW6 44mm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So, was that it for features? I didn't really see anything that would push me to buy S8 over S7...

Which is actually fine. I'm happy paying (hopefully) less for something I use few features of anyway.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

oh huh, low power coming to S4? Suddenly interested since my battery life is poo poo.

if your rocking a S4 like me, our batts are beyond shot.

E: finally a SE2

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

So, was that it for features? I didn't really see anything that would push me to buy S8 over S7...
Ovulate more, scrub.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

If the pro is overpriced I am 100% gonna buy a cheap series 7

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, without AOD, I am down to 50-60% battery when I put it back on the charger after 24 hours. 40% with some activity tracking. AW6 44mm.

I have to charge my S6 at 5pm or else it dies. It sucks poo poo.

Instead of engineering better battery life, they just disable features to make it last longer. Genius.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I kind of missed the car crash thing. And I do ride a motorcycle. I wonder if that's been tuned for ragdolling soft bodies vs rigid car crashes. I could theoretically see wanting an S8 for that, I suppose.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ugh they're using the SE name without differentiation like they do with the iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I kind of missed the car crash thing. And I do ride a motorcycle. I wonder if that's been tuned for ragdolling soft bodies vs rigid car crashes. I could theoretically see wanting an S8 for that, I suppose.

“I see you were suddenly flung 100 feet from your vehicle , are you ok?”

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Xabi posted:

So is the end-to-end sales pitch just BS?

Uh, no, it's not BS.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Series 8 comes with a NoClip function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Here we go the big kahuna