Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Azrial posted:

I don't give a poo poo about my bubble color, I would like iPhones to send videos and pictures to android phones in a manner that doesn't look like 1998.

"Buy them an iPhone." - Tim Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Having to use third party apps sucks, especially one that begs for donations every week. Signal notifications don't pop up in Carplay either, so I have no idea if someone messaged me until I check my phone at my destination.

The thing is, this isn't Apple's fault. They created iMessage to make for better messaging than text messages allowed at the time. It was so successful lots of alternatives have popped up (including like five from Google). Only now is Google finally letting Apple set up RCS or whatever it is without insisting that all the messages go through Google servers instead of something federated.

The whole "green bubble" outcry is because Apple created a better product over a decade ago and no one else, particularly Google/Android, could get their poo poo together to compete with it. It's not Apple going "gently caress those non-Apple phones, those suck."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had no idea that was the issue with Apple’s adoption of RCS.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Azrial posted:

I don't give a poo poo about my bubble color, I would like iPhones to send videos and pictures to android phones in a manner that doesn't look like 1998.

Use discord.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had no idea that was the issue with Apple’s adoption of RCS.

Yeah, when Google started using it they bought up a lot of the backbone providers (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/11/apple-announces-rcs-support-for-imessage/) and then were saying "we're willing to work with Apple! They just have to use our system, on our servers!" Apple finally gave in because of China, according to John Gruber: https://daringfireball.net/2024/02/eu_rcs_imessage

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

The thing is, this isn't Apple's fault. They created iMessage to make for better messaging than text messages allowed at the time. It was so successful lots of alternatives have popped up (including like five from Google). Only now is Google finally letting Apple set up RCS or whatever it is without insisting that all the messages go through Google servers instead of something federated.

The whole "green bubble" outcry is because Apple created a better product over a decade ago and no one else, particularly Google/Android, could get their poo poo together to compete with it. It's not Apple going "gently caress those non-Apple phones, those suck."

It took what- ten years for Android phone oems to havea policy of updating their phones for longer than a year?

Looking at you, LG. Your phone division DESERVED to die

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The rest of the world use WhatsApp, Telegram or something else. iMessage is such a weird American obsession.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Don’t wanna use the Zuck app

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m in favor of whatever lets me buy ebooks on a phone app again so I hope Meta/banks win and do that for me as a personal gift

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vegetable posted:

The rest of the world use WhatsApp, Telegram or something else. iMessage is such a weird American obsession.

Free SMS has been a thing since forever in the US. I understand that in the way before times it costed Europeans to send SMS to people from other countries, which is very common especially among students. It would be like if Americans had to pay extra to SMS someone with a different area code, which is also very common. So people defaulted to using SMS.

I don't give a poo poo about iMessage or whatever. I just want to open 1 app to SMS any one of my contacts without having to remember which app I need or if I needed to sms their phone number or some user name.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

the lovely app that wont let you upload anything over 25mb? :lol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I use FBM because my friends have anxiety and need to know if you got their message or not.

Also it's the only way I know some of their names.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As someone who basically never uses iMessage as none of my friends have iPhones, “use X” is terrible advice unless you’re able to convince everyone you know to switch their preferred messaging app to accommodate you.

I’d prefer Discord since my main friend group are on that but I also need to access SMS, WhatsApp and Messenger to keep up with other people. It’s a pain, but I don’t see any unified messaging platform that works with everything ever happening.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
FWIW photos should send in acceptable quality between iPhoned and Androids (at least pixels) these days. If they're not, maybe check that you don't have "low quality image mode" on in Messages settings. It's only videos that are still sent as pixelated garbo.

For videos if you don't wanna use something like Signal, you can do something like text a gphotos link to the video rather than the video. But I know most iPhone users aren't using gphotos (my friend group might be an anomaly where even though at least ~half the ppl have iPhones everyone has adopted gphotos for shared albums, which honestly is great) and I don't think Photos/iCloud has a streamlined way to do something similar (but maybe I'm wrong).

I do think by 2024 Apple is also somewhat to blame for that this is still the state of messaging, but 10 years ago sure the Android OEMs didn't have their poo poo together at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because Google are narcs and they didn't want to route their traffic through them.

Apple still does that pretending to care about your privacy thing. As long as it's not from Apple themselves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Free SMS has been a thing since forever in the US. I understand that in the way before times it costed Europeans to send SMS to people from other countries, which is very common especially among students. It would be like if Americans had to pay extra to SMS someone with a different area code, which is also very common. So people defaulted to using SMS.

I don't give a poo poo about iMessage or whatever. I just want to open 1 app to SMS any one of my contacts without having to remember which app I need or if I needed to sms their phone number or some user name.

iMessage was introduced in 2011. Back then free SMS was absolutely not a thing in the US, you were paying about 20 cents per message (https://web.archive.org/web/20100519224413/http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?contentType=Legal%20Notice&textId=122) unless you were enrolled in an unlimited plan (which was different from free, since it was one of the big profit makers for telecoms at the time.)

Those telecoms actually saw iMessage as an attack on their profits, because Apple users could send messages to each other for free now and not have to pay telecom fees. It was Apple that actually forced the hand of the telecoms and got people out of having to buy expensive messaging plans. Now it's just tossed in with data, because data is the big bucket everything's in, but it wasn't that way when Apple introduced iMessage.

And frankly, if you want one app to message all of your friends, the company you should be complaining about is Google, who have had like five of the things because they can't keep anything working for more than like a year without replacing it with some new idea. The entire ecosystem is fragmented because Google never settled on anything for their customers. Apple's done right by theirs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The world as we know it

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
In 2011 I don't think most of us in the US were on plans that were billing per text

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah I misspoke about free: it was part of the plan but we were allowed to text people with other area codes without paying an extra charge. A random university student studying in Berlin or Paris or wherever is going to make friends with people from all around the world with different country codes and I understand it costed a fee to text people outside of your country. Hence WhatsApp coming out and offering to let people do it for free, and without having to register an account you just use your phone number and viola. That never caught on in the US because there was no reason to.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Arivia posted:

I remember having this exact same argument about the Lightning connector, and about FireWire, and about a dozen other things both software and hardware over the years

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah imagine if the EU forced port parity in the age of Micro USB

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Splinter posted:

In 2011 I don't think most of us in the US were on plans that were billing per text

I worked in phone sales into 2013 and both ATT and Verizon had plans with limited messaging and overages.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

the lovely app that wont let you upload anything over 25mb? :lol:

Look at this internet scrub that's never heard of Imgur

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arivia posted:

And frankly, if you want one app to message all of your friends, the company you should be complaining about is Google, who have had like five of the things because they can't keep anything working for more than like a year without replacing it with some new idea. The entire ecosystem is fragmented because Google never settled on anything for their customers. Apple's done right by theirs.

I still can't loving believe Google didn't turn Hangouts into the Android equivalent, because they came THIS. loving. CLOSE. to doing so. You could use data or sms on the same app, would work wifi alone, and supported sending images and files. And Google just... said, "lol nope."??? :confused:

Like, i really don't get their decision making process there. It came installed on my Nexus 5 in 2014, and already did everything I reasonably expected it to.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 22, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Go DOJ. Apple should be broken up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Go DOJ. Apple, Google, Facebook, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, every wall Street bank, every isp/telecom, and every media conglomerate should be broken up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Pretty sure those companies aren't making things that all blend together and are meant to build a walled garden where only their products and services are compatible with each other.

Most phones work with multiple telcos now, whereas Bell System actually sold you the phone.

Azrial posted:

Steve Jobs even knew this was going to be stupid poo poo, which was why he didn't want to support MMS and suggested everyone use email.

Poor Steve didn't realize he was missing the potential of an obnoxious lock-out to be weaponized, as his more evil successors have.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 22, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Pretty sure those companies aren't making things that all blend together and are meant to build a walled garden where only their products and services are compatible with each other.

Anti-competitive monopolies that only exist to raise prices due toa lack of competition should be broken up

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mister Facetious posted:

Anti-competitive monopolies that only exist to raise prices due toa lack of competition should be broken up

Name me the bank that has 60% of Americans accounts. Apple and Microsoft actually have that kind of market penetration.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like walled gardens

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well you heard it here first folks, Apple is the only company that abuses their power.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve been Apple cucked since ~2003, and even so, I don’t find it that difficult to switch over to Android or Windows exclusively if I wanted to.

Yes, some paid apps won’t be available, but it’s fairly easy to port over calendars, contacts, photos, and most apps and services are available on all platforms. I’m guessing the average non-technical person doesn’t know this?

I’d lose iMessage, but that seems like a pretty silly thing to be the sole reason you use Apple devices, and there’s no easy solution to fix that, unless the DoJ forces Apple to develop an Android app or break their encryption to demand interoperability with other chat apps. Both bad for different reasons.

There’s reason to be annoyed with Apple if you’re Meta or Elon and want a “super app” (Will these super apps all developers to develop and distribute mini apps through a super app without a fee? Of course not.), but I really don’t see this as something that will benefit end users much at the end of the day. We’ll probably end up with a bunch of bad automaker and bank apps for digital wallets and keys.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well you heard it here first folks, Apple is the only company that abuses their power.

Greenspan was in fact, completely correct when he said the rational self interest of the free market would prevent corruption

Timb has betrayed the teachings of Stebe

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Facetious posted:

Look at this internet scrub that's never heard of Imgur

ah yes the messaging app Imgur

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

xzzy posted:

My favorite is the one about "isn't there bigger issues the DOJ should be worried about", as though the antitrust unit is in charge of prosecuting the stash of classified documents at Mar A Lago.

Corb3t posted:

I’d lose iMessage, but that seems like a pretty silly thing to be the sole reason you use Apple devices, and there’s no easy solution to fix that, unless the DoJ forces Apple to develop an Android app or break their encryption to demand interoperability with other chat apps. Both bad for different reasons.
My guess is Apple can probably get away with doing like they've done with FaceTime and making iMessage a standalone application. It's the "SMS fallback" stuff where iMessage is layered atop standard SMS and the experience becomes lovely the moment you talk to people on the competition that is a problem here.

To that extent, BBM in the days was probably also anti-competitive, but the market was young and Dubya's people were more concerned about fighting gay marriage and covering up naked people.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 22, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I really want someone to put together a concise vision where iPhone is an unwalled garden. You get snippets of nebulous benefits in these antitrust suits, like more competition.

But in the best possible world, what does that actually look like? Lock screen widgets that don’t suck rear end? Fun new things apps can do with NFC? What prices go down? The blue-bubble green-bubble thing is the only concrete thing I’ve read about.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Vegetable posted:

I really want someone to put together a concise vision where iPhone is an unwalled garden. You get snippets of nebulous benefits in these antitrust suits, like more competition.

You download IPAs from github or something, and install them without any authorization or anything from Apple. The OS still protects access to hardware features (camera/microphone use) and sandboxes the apps from each other, but you want to download a reverse engineered Twitter client that doesn't display Elon's chudtastic advertisers without having to pay him for a premium plan, that's between you and your device. That doesn't happen today because Apple actively guards against piracy and TOS violations (including violations of third party TOS) in apps that appear on the App Store and doesn't have any alternatives.

To a certain extent, this kind of thing can kind of happen on an iPhone, but instead of GitHub it's been "weird stores exploiting CN enterprise certificates" or "small apps using TestFlight and purging their users regularly" or "you pay Apple to become a developer and STILL have to reload the app after a certain period of time." There isn't an avenue where Apple stays in their lane and doesn't enforce limits on how you want to use your device.

Android users have also used this sort of thing to continue using third party reader apps after Reddit killed them all by recompiling them with unique API keys per user.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 22, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

For me, being able to sideload open source or cracked apps isn’t worth the trade off of giving Meta the ability to load up their own tracking-laden third party App Store and twist iOS user’s arms if they want to use Instagram or whatever.

If I was an iOS app developer, I’d also be worried about cracked apps hurting my sales.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Splinter posted:

FWIW photos should send in acceptable quality between iPhoned and Androids (at least pixels) these days. If they're not, maybe check that you don't have "low quality image mode" on in Messages settings. It's only videos that are still sent as pixelated garbo.

For videos if you don't wanna use something like Signal, you can do something like text a gphotos link to the video rather than the video. But I know most iPhone users aren't using gphotos (my friend group might be an anomaly where even though at least ~half the ppl have iPhones everyone has adopted gphotos for shared albums, which honestly is great) and I don't think Photos/iCloud has a streamlined way to do something similar (but maybe I'm wrong).

I do think by 2024 Apple is also somewhat to blame for that this is still the state of messaging, but 10 years ago sure the Android OEMs didn't have their poo poo together at all.

Signal also compresses images by default. There's a "send in higher quality" option that I bet almost no one knows about. You'll notice there's no way to send in original quality though…

For iCloud, use iCloud web links to share original quality.

I think google photo shared albums are the best way to share photos with a group people if they upload in original quality. Though the last time I tried it if you tried to re-save it back into photos, google photos doesn't do any de-duping before saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Corb3t posted:

For me, being able to sideload open source or cracked apps isn’t worth the trade off of giving Meta the ability to load up their own tracking-laden third party App Store and twist iOS user’s arms if they want to use Instagram or whatever.
But not only has Facebook not done this on Android, but iOS has the Anti-Tracking, hardware level controls. Facebook's app would only be allowed whatever privileges iOS assigns it regardless of origin.

quote:

If I was an iOS app developer, I’d also be worried about cracked apps hurting my sales.

While I'm not a big fan of IP, the tradeoff to the heavy handed approach of Apple is going to be when nobody has an underground way to circumvent the US government's TikTok ban on iOS, or in Russia where Apple recently removed an app intended to dissuade people of Putin's disinformation. Apple has a legal responsibility to follow the laws in the places they do business, which imposes itself on users that have no way to act on their own agency in a way that isn't part of Apple's liability.