Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Craptacular! posted:

While I'm not a big fan of IP, the tradeoff to the heavy handed approach of Apple is going to be when nobody has an underground way to circumvent the US government's TikTok ban on iOS, or in Russia where Apple recently removed an app intended to dissuade people of Putin's disinformation. Apple has a legal responsibility to follow the laws in the places they do business, which imposes itself on users that have no way to act on their own agency in a way that isn't part of Apple's liability.

I agree with the sentiment about Nations censoring apps to quell dissent, but uh, in principle, what is preventing a Western devgroup from making a clone (nota literal clone, but one with legally distinct source code, obv) of TikTok, and releasing it right after the ban takes effect, to fill the vacuum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Arivia posted:

iMessage was introduced in 2011. Back then free SMS was absolutely not a thing in the US, you were paying about 20 cents per message (https://web.archive.org/web/20100519224413/http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?contentType=Legal%20Notice&textId=122) unless you were enrolled in an unlimited plan (which was different from free, since it was one of the big profit makers for telecoms at the time.)

it wasn't free but nobody was actually paying $.20/sms, carriers were already pushing people toward bulk sms/mms plans (they were jacking up the prices of a la carte messaging in part to do that, like your link shows), verizon already had plans for unlimited messaging to other verizon subscribers, etc. etc.
sms was already well on its way to ingraining itself into people's habits, and while it wasn't free, it was 100% a part of how americans communicated, and the lack of long distance fees meant it ended up being preferred in some situations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I agree with the sentiment about Nations censoring apps to quell dissent, but uh, in principle, what is preventing a Western devgroup from making a clone (nota literal clone, but one with legally distinct source code, obv) of TikTok, and releasing it right after the ban takes effect, to fill the vacuum?

a userbase?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Arivia posted:

iMessage was introduced in 2011. Back then free SMS was absolutely not a thing in the US, you were paying about 20 cents per message (https://web.archive.org/web/20100519224413/http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?contentType=Legal%20Notice&textId=122) unless you were enrolled in an unlimited plan (which was different from free, since it was one of the big profit makers for telecoms at the time.)

Those telecoms actually saw iMessage as an attack on their profits, because Apple users could send messages to each other for free now and not have to pay telecom fees. It was Apple that actually forced the hand of the telecoms and got people out of having to buy expensive messaging plans. Now it's just tossed in with data, because data is the big bucket everything's in, but it wasn't that way when Apple introduced iMessage.

Your link is for international texting. The Verizon homepage from that same time shows you could buy talk and text plans starting at $60 for 450 minutes and unlimited texting.
Data was a wholly separate add-on for $30 more per month.
https://web.archive.org/web/20100519224337/http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/plansingleline.jsp?lid=//global//plans//individual

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oh, i didn't know tiktok had millions of users before they even had an app. My bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TikTok was lucky. For every success story like that there's a dozen other attempts at making a social network that fell flat.

There needs to be the right product at the right time backed by a whole pile of money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh, i didn't know tiktok had millions of users before they even had an app. My bad.

They literally did, it was called Musical.ly.

quote:

In June 2016, Musical.ly had over 90 million registered users, up from 10 million a year earlier.[4] By the end of May 2017, the app had reached over 200 million users.[5]

ByteDance Ltd. acquired Musical.ly Inc. on November 10, 2017, and merged it into TikTok on August 2

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MrBond posted:

I think google photo shared albums are the best way to share photos with a group people if they upload in original quality. Though the last time I tried it if you tried to re-save it back into photos, google photos doesn't do any de-duping before saving.

Agree with that. I've been trying to figure out how to have Photos and gphotos play together well on phone. From what I've noticed so far, managing deletions and stuff from the gphotos side will actually propagate those changes to Photos, whereas deleting from Photos won't result in deleting from gphotos. But yeah there are instances where I'm creating new images from gphotos that need to get back to Photos, and live photos can be weird in some cases.

Blurb3947 posted:

I worked in phone sales into 2013 and both ATT and Verizon had plans with limited messaging and overages.

Yeah I know I'm just saying in practice this was around the time when people were moving to plans where you weren't thinking about SMS charges and they were often already unlimited. At least if you were someone with some level of tech savvy or maybe just a millennial in general. This is the the era when Verizon had already rolled out LTE, people were streaming music/podcats/gmaps/waze on their commutes and streaming video on mobile was starting to be not-poo poo as long as you dealt with you data cap. People had individual and group gchats (or whatever it was called at that time) to communicate with friends while at work (since it was inside gmail which pretty much everyone was using). Messaging, whether sms or over the internet was already something that many weren't viewing as a limited resource.

v yes this v

sleepwalkers posted:

it wasn't free but nobody was actually paying $.20/sms, carriers were already pushing people toward bulk sms/mms plans (they were jacking up the prices of a la carte messaging in part to do that, like your link shows), verizon already had plans for unlimited messaging to other verizon subscribers, etc. etc.
sms was already well on its way to ingraining itself into people's habits, and while it wasn't free, it was 100% a part of how americans communicated, and the lack of long distance fees meant it ended up being preferred in some situations.

FCKGW posted:

Your link is for international texting. The Verizon homepage from that same time shows you could buy talk and text plans starting at $60 for 450 minutes and unlimited texting.
Data was a wholly separate add-on for $30 more per month.
https://web.archive.org/web/20100519224337/http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/plansingleline.jsp?lid=//global//plans//individual

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I really want someone to put together a concise vision where iPhone is an unwalled garden. You get snippets of nebulous benefits in these antitrust suits, like more competition.

But in the best possible world, what does that actually look like? Lock screen widgets that don’t suck rear end? Fun new things apps can do with NFC? What prices go down? The blue-bubble green-bubble thing is the only concrete thing I’ve read about.

They want to run emulators and pirate apps.

That's all it ever is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't know how directly tied to the walled garden effect it is, but I really loving hate how every single useful app in existence is now a subscription based model.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't know how directly tied to the walled garden effect it is, but I really loving hate how every single useful app in existence is now a subscription based model.

Nah this is just how everything's moved because it's like this on PCs as well. Adobe wants a subscription fee to use loving Acrobat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Aphrodite posted:

They want to run emulators and pirate apps.

That's all it ever is.

Maybe, but I also use a FOSS weather app because it's the only simple weather app that also has free AccuWeather, and Apple won't even allow apps that use web-based APIs for torrent clients running on other PCs, because they seem to have a stance that anything remotely associated with torrenting is piracy and needs to be squashed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Craptacular! posted:

and Apple won't even allow apps that use web-based APIs for torrent clients running on other PCs, because they seem to have a stance that anything remotely associated with torrenting is piracy and needs to be squashed.

Muh Linux ISO’s!!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

njsykora posted:

Adobe wants a subscription fee to use loving Acrobat.

Just in case it helps anyone, Firefox continues to be great:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/pdf-editor/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't know that I've ever thought about wanting to run a torrent client on my phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bottom Liner posted:

This is not really anything to do with the walled garden, it's a consequence of the race to the bottom in app pricing, and to a lesser extent the expectation that updates are free forever.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
why the gently caress is Apple so anal about letting me save gifs. what a piece of poo poo phone. i can literally save them straight from a source and they won't move

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe, but I also use a FOSS weather app because it's the only simple weather app that also has free AccuWeather, and Apple won't even allow apps that use web-based APIs for torrent clients running on other PCs, because they seem to have a stance that anything remotely associated with torrenting is piracy and needs to be squashed.

Some people also beleive that anything to do with bitcoin is crime

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Weird Siri interaction today on the heel of the Siri discussion a few pages back, but honestly I'm not sure if it's a Siri or Apple Watch or iPhone problem. I was on my walk and I had a realization I forgot to do something so I whacked Siri up on my Apple Watch and said "when I get home remind me to XYZ" and Siri added the reminder, but then added "if you want notifications you have to enable location in the reminders app" or something like that. I checked on my phone, which I assume is where this has to be done, but in Settings:

- Reminders doesn't have any setting for location
- Priv/Sec -> Reminders doesn't have any location settings, it just says "apps that have requested access to your reminders will appear here"
- Priv/Sec -> Location Services doesn't list Reminders, AND
- Priv/Sec -> Location Services -> System Services doesn't say anything about reminders.

Maybe this is a "7am pre-coffee" thing and I'm missing something obvious or literally just skimmed past Reminders making all the above false, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to enable this lol

Anyway I 100% did forget about the reminder without the notification and posting this made me remember to do the thing, so I guess that's one way to achieve the same result.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

some kinda jackal posted:

- Priv/Sec -> Location Services doesn't list Reminders
It does for me… maybe try setting a location-based reminder on your phone to encourage the permissions dialog to appear?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just tried that, I am legit confused right now.

In fact, even on my iPhone when I added a dummy "remind me to do work when i get to work", It reminded me to enable location and when I clicked on the button it gave me, there was no Reminders listed.

:iiam:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Free SMS has been a thing since forever in the US. I understand that in the way before times it costed Europeans to send SMS to people from other countries, which is very common especially among students. It would be like if Americans had to pay extra to SMS someone with a different area code, which is also very common. So people defaulted to using SMS.

I don't give a poo poo about iMessage or whatever. I just want to open 1 app to SMS any one of my contacts without having to remember which app I need or if I needed to sms their phone number or some user name.

I am here to remind everyone that Palm WebOS actually did the one place to message people, and you could toggle which app to message them with.

If only Rubinstein wasn’t obsessed with tiny keyboards and also if only they ran a competent business and marketing operation. Rip.

Also, carriers were charging $0.20 a text for people who didn’t sign up for unlimited plans up until about 2012, 2013 when they (finally) changed plans to only include unlimited texting.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 22, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Off topic for the current discussion in the thread, but fellow leather case enjoyers may like that Bullstrap now offers a closed bottom variant of their Sienna colored cases for iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max.

https://bullstrap.co/products/the-contemporary-magsafe-case-sienna?variant=44083921486018

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

some kinda jackal posted:

In fact, even on my iPhone when I added a dummy "remind me to do work when i get to work", It reminded me to enable location and when I clicked on the button it gave me, there was no Reminders listed.
I hereby diagnose your phone as “gone fucky”, maybe try resetting Location & Privacy settings?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Off topic for the current discussion in the thread, but fellow leather case enjoyers may like that Bullstrap now offers a closed bottom variant of their Sienna colored cases for iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max.

https://bullstrap.co/products/the-contemporary-magsafe-case-sienna?variant=44083921486018

Hell yea

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

I really want to see one of these in person before I dropped that kinda cash on one.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, carriers were charging $0.20 a text for people who didn’t sign up for unlimited plans up until about 2012, 2013 when they (finally) changed plans to only include unlimited texting.

carriers were technically charging that for a la carte messaging, but people were absolutely not spending $.20/text. bulk messaging plans existed as far back as like 2005, with various flavors of "unlimited" messaging plans popping up as early as 2007 iirc. and as of 2011, att dropped bulk plans entirely, so a little earlier than that timeframe

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

gd it quote is not edit

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

I really want to see one of these in person before I dropped that kinda cash on one.
They're worth $200.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

They’re the best leather case you’ll ever buy for an iPhone, and they have a lifetime warranty that includes physical damage.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

goblin week posted:

And those people are correct.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

They’re the best leather case you’ll ever buy for an iPhone, and they have a lifetime warranty that includes physical damage.

Well $100 later I sure hope so!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

goblin week posted:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You'll be happy with it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

goblin week posted:

why the gently caress is Apple so anal about letting me save gifs. what a piece of poo poo phone. i can literally save them straight from a source and they won't move

It saves gifs, it's just really poo poo at running them correctly without closing and reopening discord/whatever app (but mostly discord) you upload them to.

Or more likely, it's Discord that's poo poo.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 22, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Congrats on buying the best leather case you'll ever use. I've used their cases on an iPhone 12 mini, 13 Pro, 14 Pro, and 15 Pro Max in multiple colors. I have two of their Apple Watch bands. My dad subsequently bought himself a phone case, an iPad case, and their new laptop sleeve. My mother has two cases for her phone in different colors.

We're absolutely sold on their product quality.

e: lmao jesus christ, since we bought everything through my account I can see that as a family we've bought $1,127 worth of product from them.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 22, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It saves gifs, it's just really poo poo at running them correctly without closing and reopening discord/whatever app (but mostly discord) you upload them to.

Or more likely, it's Discord that's poo poo.

Discord is determined to make their iOS app worse and worse.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Discord is determined to make their iOS app worse and worse.

What do you mean you don't want a gift button right between the text box and the attachment button???

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

goblin week posted:

Apple doesn't, so I'm not sure that's relevant.

Either way, Apple does a lot of bad things that also Samsung often-but-not-always does and I'm not sure how they've gone this long without the ability to set a default SMS app or let third party watches access notification data. With wearables the limited amount of access other brands of watches that Apple practices combined with Apple and Samsung both giving their watches features that only work on their phones and no other has created an industry where if you want to make a watch your best bet is to first be a successful smartphone manufacturer, which is a far more cut-throat business with less room for innovation than wearables.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Branch Nvidian posted:

Congrats on buying the best leather case you'll ever use. I've used their cases on an iPhone 12 mini, 13 Pro, 14 Pro, and 15 Pro Max in multiple colors. I have two of their Apple Watch bands. My dad subsequently bought himself a phone case, an iPad case, and their new laptop sleeve. My mother has two cases for her phone in different colors.

We're absolutely sold on their product quality.

e: lmao jesus christ, since we bought everything through my account I can see that as a family we've bought $1,127 worth of product from them.

Are they that much better than Andar? My old case was a Saddleback and they seem to have stopped making them, so I went with Andar because it was closed-design.