Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

jack of (:smugmrgw:) all webs

master of none.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
nah i've already got a copy on dvd thanks though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvdOYwyVfd8

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i feel like i'd be wasting the masters time. do you have something more webapprentice sized

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah can you do up some dhtml for me in perl

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i know both html and vrml

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

do you have a portfolio with your under construction gifs?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i wonder who made the original under construction gifs. seems like they’ve always existed, even before the internet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

polyester concept posted:

i wonder who made the original under construction gifs. seems like they’ve always existed, even before the internet

this is the real chicken and the egg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

I made some for my first couple websites in like 1994. they weren't even animated, this was just so long ago mosaic didn't have jpeg support yet so gif was the only way to go

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

I made some for my first couple websites in like 1994. they weren't even animated, this was just so long ago mosaic didn't have jpeg support yet so gif was the only way to go

lol i remember plastering netscape now gifs all over mine

and getting free hosting from my dialup isp

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

nah im good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

those early versions of netscape were probably the worst software to get that popular, it could [and would] hard lock your computer on a regular basis. I remember this guy I worked with within 5 minutes of whatever version had frames was released he made an infinite loop of them and crashed his computer. plug0ins made it even less stable

yeah sure microsoft bundled ie, monopoly power, blah blah but netscape was a trivially easy target. even very early versions of ie were 10x less likely to nuke your computer. it wasn't until they shoehorned in activex and all that garbage that ie got real bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah IE 3 was fine. around the same time i remember netscape communicator being a huge piece of poo poo to the point that i started downloading mozilla alphas, which were somehow actually better

also i think the theme was blue? idk, i remember liking it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ie was generally pretty good, though as noted being better than netscape wasn't very hard. microsoft also had a surprising number of correct predictions of where things were going at the time, fighting tooth and nail to make webview apps a native platform thing (lol :rolleyes: microsoft claiming ie is integral to the os), and of course ajax.

longhorn was the clusterfuck to bring all that foresight (and much else) down though. though that is probably as well, monopoly-wise.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

webmaster is an outdated, racist, word. we're all webidiots now

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
websub here looking for a webmaster or webdaddy 👉👈🥺🤤

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i know php OP

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hopefully you can support my applets

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

steve jobs saying ie is the default mac browser to boos from the audience

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a webmaster...

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i am the webmaster, op. stay out of my territory.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I am the gatekeeper

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

post hole digger posted:

on the web, everybody's gotta watch everybody else. Since the users are looking to beat the site, the moderators are watching the users. The admins are watching the moderators. The security auditors are watching the admins. The middle managers are watching the security auditors. The directors are watching the middle managers. The CIO is watching the directors. I'm watching the CIO. And the eye-in-the-sky is watching us all.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

post hole digger posted:

now the dream is dead! :smithicide:

there are no more webs to master

matti
Mar 31, 2019

lol ive been learning perl again after 15 years

what a dumb fun language

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

that's what tables are for, right?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

sometimes you got to get things done in a hurry and most programming languages that are popular these days are very "opinionated". i like perl

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

I really wanted to make a website when I was a kid but had no idea what I wanted to do with it. I had a friend at school who managed to get his parents to buy him a vanity domain name and I was pretty jealous. this was like in 96 or 97

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

now the dream is dead! :smithicide:

there are no more webs to master

carry on then posted:

on the web, everybody's gotta watch everybody else. Since the users are looking to beat the site, the moderators are watching the users. The admins are watching the moderators. The security auditors are watching the admins. The middle managers are watching the security auditors. The directors are watching the middle managers. The CIO is watching the directors. I'm watching the CIO. And the eye-in-the-sky is watching us all.

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

matti
Mar 31, 2019

god how i wish to find a webmistress some day...

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is a webmaster

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

jimmyjams posted:

what is a webmaster

a poster so powerful their very presence on the active list sends an awed hush over the others. their threads are instant gold

they have established mastery of web

oh and i guess they know basic html

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

matti posted:

sometimes you got to get things done in a hurry and most programming languages that are popular these days are very "opinionated". i like perl

sounds like this is also an opinion, ironically

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

akadajet posted:

I really wanted to make a website when I was a kid but had no idea what I wanted to do with it. I had a friend at school who managed to get his parents to buy him a vanity domain name and I was pretty jealous. this was like in 96 or 97

same but my friend with the vanity domain set up a section of his shared hosting for me so i was in charge of my own little section of the site, in i guess 1998 or 1999?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
heres an

aster .webm

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/videos/8zqNOrdI-tXzwfO7V.mp4

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

rotor posted:

i wrote a thing that was a combo of active-x and a (signed at least) java applet to talk to a flatbed scanner and also screen-scrape an as/400 terminal window.

this was a part of hospital admissions processing for every patient; i feel bad for whoever had to rewrite that once all that tech got rightly deprecated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
I am a web man for the county
And I run the main site
Searchin' in the sun for another overload