Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

i wonder who made the original under construction gifs. seems like they’ve always existed, even before the internet

I made some for my first couple websites in like 1994. they weren't even animated, this was just so long ago mosaic didn't have jpeg support yet so gif was the only way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

those early versions of netscape were probably the worst software to get that popular, it could [and would] hard lock your computer on a regular basis. I remember this guy I worked with within 5 minutes of whatever version had frames was released he made an infinite loop of them and crashed his computer. plug0ins made it even less stable

yeah sure microsoft bundled ie, monopoly power, blah blah but netscape was a trivially easy target. even very early versions of ie were 10x less likely to nuke your computer. it wasn't until they shoehorned in activex and all that garbage that ie got real bad