Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have kept watching Murders in the Building, the second season isn't as interesting as the first but it's still a pretty good show.

I have paused What We Do in the Shadows for the moment because I got my mother interested enough to watch it as well, and will wait until she gets up to where I stopped -- will make a fun topic to talk about where the story goes next.

Barry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6TZdk1t8Zo

Now up to the second season of this one and, while at first it didn't grab me, the plot just keeps piling more and more absurdities and now I can't stop watching. It's not satire that's for sure. It's not a laugh per minute thing either. It is also not exactly subtle. All these things make it certainly have an identity of its own. Here's our emotionally damaged assassin for hire who just wants to stop and instead do acting classes with his new found friends, yet the world won't let him stop and you can't root for him either because he is a murderous cowardly thug. It's a conflicting mess of a dark comedy. The gut punch ending of season 1 alone is worth watching it for.

Another series that surprised me is Bocchi the Rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMMZF5zNW4

The story of a girl with extreme social anxiety that (sort of) got pushed into an amateur rock band. It's a surprising one because 1) it really does well the theme of social anxiety, relatable instead of as a joke, 2) it's hard not to root for the protagonist, 3) the humor is wholesome and never mean-spirited

Chewbecca posted:

Watch Kath and Kim on Netflix and thank me later :vegemite::hf::australia:

I had a hard time tracking this one out and got to watch two episodes. It's rather well done, but I can't keep at it. I really, REALLY, loath people like Kim. She's the loving worst!

I'll put Our Flag Means Death and Legion into my watchlist after I'm done with the current backlog. It's grown up a bit, in good part because of this thread. Success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mummy Napkin
I’m a grown man thing who almost exclusively watches cartoons. I was watching Regular Shown at a pretty good pace because I missed it when it aired trying to act all adult and stuff.

It takes a pretty hard dip after season 2 and has stayed consistently meh throughout season 5. those first two are a fun and wild ride though.

mutantIke

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Machai posted:

I recently rewatched MegasXLR after finding the entire thing on archive.org. Jamie is a creep and Goat is pretty much the same character but with a trucker hat, but other then that the show is just as good as I remembered.

I watched a lot of MegasXLR as a kid, a few years back I found MTV's Downtown and was shocked to see the character Goat (although much more M for Mature) appear in both shows. Worth watching, a real hidden gem of adult animation with some fantastic music.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Matt and Bird Break Loose is a new kids cartoon by Canadian heartthrobs Nirvanna The Band. It really does come off like an animated kid's version of their existing Viceland show. Only about 30 minutes have been made but if you have small kids or just like NtBtS it's worth a watch.

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i decided, because supernatural and doctor who both lost me, to try watching bbc's sherlock.... big mistake. i do not like it as much as i thought i would. it tries to act very smart but comes off as... pretentious at times? idk how else to describe it. but i am def not continuing.

however, last week, a new episode of helluva boss dropped and oh boy, was it awesome. love seeing the plot pick up.

and last but not least, currently on season 2 of kaguya-sama: love is war and i LOVE it. i am usually not one for romance comedies but imo it nails the vibe very well. can't wait to see where it goes.

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm watching taskmaster new zealand, which is about the same quality as the uk version but they talk about genitals and weed a whole lot more, and QI, which is a panel show where a bunch of interesting people talk trivia and swap anecdotes and occasionally a siren goes off when someone says something commonly assumed but incorrect. it's the sort of thing that's best in small doses because it can occasionally skew to the dreaded well, actually, but it's quite fun when I'm in the mood for it.

I'm also watching a bunch of tokusatsu shows with some goon buddies, the best of which is Kamen Rider Build, a show about an egotistical (but in a fun way) scientist and a blunt and angry punch guy as they solve the mystery of why the punch guy was framed for murder and by whom... by means of transforming into superheroes and jump kicking most of their problems (not all of their problems can be jump kicked). also this is in a near-future version of Japan where a mysterious artifact brought back from mars triggered an incident that divided the country in three.

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
Derry Girls is a bunch of high school girls in Northern Ireland during the 90's and is hilarious. Like Reservation Dogs, there are a few heavy moments in the show, but most of it is extremely funny Irish people living their lives. Colloquially known in our home as "Sweary Girls" due to the characters' frequent (and sometimes poetic) cursing that would make a pirate blush.

Schmigadoon! has Keegan Michael Key and Cecily Strong as a modern day couple on a relationship counseling trip be transported magically to an early 20th century small town out of a musical like Music Man/Hello Dolly. The town is populated by music theatre cliches and plenty of impromptu musical numbers with matching choreography that puzzles our protagonists. Cast is stacked with Broadway stars, including Kristen Chenowith (as the preacher's wife, the ice-cold town prude and head gossip)

Bob's Burgers is of course, terrific.

Ohtori Akio
Derry Girls owns

Scuba Trooper

canyoneer posted:

Schmigadoon! has Keegan Michael Key and Cecily Strong as a modern day couple on a relationship counseling trip be transported magically to an early 20th century small town out of a musical like Music Man/Hello Dolly. The town is populated by music theatre cliches and plenty of impromptu musical numbers with matching choreography that puzzles our protagonists. Cast is stacked with Broadway stars, including Kristen Chenowith (as the preacher's wife, the ice-cold town prude and head gossip)

i want to watch this

girld5eva got renewed at netflix

mutantIke

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
girls 5 eva is a pee cock exclusive in the states

Saoshyant

mutantIke posted:

girls 5 eva is a pee cock exclusive in the states

It says on Wikipedia that the series moved from Peacock to Netflix for its third season.

The premise seems to be weird and I have no idea how they made three seasons out of it:

quote:

A 1990s girl group that only managed to score one hit gets an unexpected chance at a comeback when their song is sampled by an up-and-coming rapper.

So, new friend mutantIke, tell me about this series and why it's cool.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

mutantIke

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I've never seen it (hence not knowing it was on Netflix now). Just thought it would be funny to say "pee cock" instead of peacock. My apologies, deleting my account forever. Anyway, right now I'm finally finishing Breaking Bad and watching a few anime shows. Outside of the currently airing stuff, I'm watching Tatami Galaxy which is insanely charming and has a cool art style. Worth a watch even if you're one of those people who doesn't like anime.

biosterous

Saoshyant posted:

Another series that surprised me is Bocchi the Rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyMMZF5zNW4

The story of a girl with extreme social anxiety that (sort of) got pushed into an amateur rock band. It's a surprising one because 1) it really does well the theme of social anxiety, relatable instead of as a joke, 2) it's hard not to root for the protagonist, 3) the humor is wholesome and never mean-spirited

started this and it rules

also question for everyone, what is the genre of the opener, it's like japanese power pop rock or something

i want more tracks that are upbeat with good rock elements and if it's in another language i don't need to worry about the lyrics lol

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Saoshyant

biosterous posted:

also question for everyone, what is the genre of the opener, it's like japanese power pop rock or something

i want more tracks that are upbeat with good rock elements and if it's in another language i don't need to worry about the lyrics lol

It's J-Rock. Check if either Scandal or Asian Kung-Fu Generation (both are Youtube links) are to your liking.

Actually, Bocchi's band members' last names are all a reference to Asian Kung-Fu Generation.

biosterous

heck yeah! reading up on the show pointed me to AKFG and they are fun, and now i will check out Scandal as well!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

barclayed

Saoshyant posted:

It's J-Rock. Check if either Scandal or Asian Kung-Fu Generation (both are Youtube links) are to your liking.

Actually, Bocchi's band members' last names are all a reference to Asian Kung-Fu Generation.

i only know them from re:re (erased's opening) but i love rock, should i listen to them

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

mutantIke

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
AKFG has done a lot of anime openings lol, I think they did the opening for that show Tatami Galaxy that I posted about earlier

Saoshyant

Wellington Paranormal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxbN3Bp6f4

This one got recommended for people who are into WWDITS, so I decided to check it. It's delightfully silly and whimsy. A bunch of New Zealand cops trying to deal with X-Files nonsense while trying their best to take it in stride and ignoring all the red flags of every situation. The aliens episode had me chuckling non-stop.

Machai

Saoshyant posted:

Wellington Paranormal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxbN3Bp6f4

This one got recommended for people who are into WWDITS, so I decided to check it. It's delightfully silly and whimsy. A bunch of New Zealand cops trying to deal with X-Files nonsense while trying their best to take it in stride and ignoring all the red flags of every situation. The aliens episode had me chuckling non-stop.

My wife started watching this. I wish real cops were as pleasant and mild-mannered as the ones in the show.

alexandriao

I bullied a friend from BYOB to add The Amazing Spider-Man (1994) to his plex for me.

This show is everything I wanted it to be, to be quite honest. The intro is a hot mess where for ten or twenty seconds they just randomly shove in and mix together all the poo poo a 10 year old thinks is cool.

Yeah, explosions, ok gimme some of that robo vocoder thingy, oh oh but talk about how it was a radioactive spider, now back to explosions, gently caress yeahhhh :madmax:

The show itself does not stop, and I mean this in the most clusterfuck way. By the end of the first season it pivots to multi-episode features, and within those features it just keeps piling on plotlines like it's pulling them all out of a clown car. At no point does a plotline get 100% resolved, either, so at any moment you can return to something from like 3 episodes ago.

Despite that the show is surprisingly watchable as an adult, Spider-Man has some funny quips, the villains are all absolutely buck wild but it's played straight enough that it's very funny. The voice actors get extremely hammy which is the extra cherry on the top. It's not like, the greatest cartoon in the world, but compared to some others I've watched in the past it's pretty good and a fun time.

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Finger Prince

The Characters on Netflix.

God I love this stuff.

Saoshyant

alexandriao posted:

I bullied a friend from BYOB to add The Amazing Spider-Man (1994) to his plex for me.

This show is everything I wanted it to be, to be quite honest. (..) The voice actors get extremely hammy which is the extra cherry on the top.

It is the greatest Marvel Comics-based cartoon ever made (yes, even better than the 90's X-Men)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk-HPBF6Mw

Scuba Trooper

Saoshyant posted:

It is the greatest Marvel Comics-based cartoon ever made (yes, even better than the 90's X-Men)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk-HPBF6Mw

lol you beat me to it

SHOCKERRRRRRR

Heather Papps

hello friend

who's line is ending and it's making me think i should watch the recent seasons

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Machai

Heather Papps posted:

did they ever figure it out?

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
The White Lotus on HBO max is excellent in that HBO way. it's set in Hawaii at a romantic resort and it's good

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm watching Shamwari Untamed on Netflix. It's a nature show about a wildlife refuge in South Africa.
Elephants: check
Baby animals: check
Blonde veterinarian: check
Dart guns: check
Drum track: check

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

holy gently caress that show was still going? I can't even remember how old I was when I was watching it but it has to be at least a decade ago

I just rewatched the first two seasons and am presently watching the third and final season of Dead to Me which is surprisingly light and funny for a show about topics as heavy as it gets.

Heather Papps

hello friend

who's line started in 1988, so there was that run, then the drew carey one everyone knows the best, then the modern revival. pretty impressive run.

barclayed

it's not a TV series but a group of me and my friends finally finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy tonight and MY GOD was that an amazing watching experience. i knew little-to-nothing outside of scattered memes and the gag of Gollum falling into Mt. Doom so it was really fun watching it blind. Aragorn and Sam were definitely my favorites. just, Sam's undying devotion to Frodo was so sweet and i think Gandalf's speech to Pippin about how we approach the afterlife in RotK has genuinely assuaged some of my fears about dying- white shores, and beyond, a far green countryside under a swift sunrise.

anyways. UGH it was so good.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

barclayed posted:

it's not a TV series but a group of me and my friends finally finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy tonight and MY GOD was that an amazing watching experience. i knew little-to-nothing outside of scattered memes and the gag of Gollum falling into Mt. Doom so it was really fun watching it blind. Aragorn and Sam were definitely my favorites. just, Sam's undying devotion to Frodo was so sweet and i think Gandalf's speech to Pippin about how we approach the afterlife in RotK has genuinely assuaged some of my fears about dying- white shores, and beyond, a far green countryside under a swift sunrise.

anyways. UGH it was so good.

You've had one trilogy, yes, but what about second trilogy?

barclayed

Buttchocks posted:

You've had one trilogy, yes, but what about second trilogy?

we operate at a 'one movie per week' rate and unfortunately there are not enough fridays left in the semester to watch the hobbit trilogy. we are interested in watching rings of power though.

Saoshyant

barclayed posted:

we operate at a 'one movie per week' rate and unfortunately there are not enough fridays left in the semester to watch the hobbit trilogy.

That's good. You probably don't want to touch this one.

It's like going from one extreme to another, where the LOTR trilogy was a great adaptation of the source novels cutting down on some of the original events to fit into the movies, while the Hobbit movies did the opposite and tried to pad what happens in one book into three whole movies because "it's gotta be a trilogy too" regardless if that was a good idea or not (it was not).

Finger Prince

I'm finally at the episode in the peripheral where the MET shows up! She's lovely! She was my favourite part of the books.

Finger Prince

Andor is really good. I think even if you knew absolutely nothing about star wars, it would still hold up. It's a really well written story, the characters are intriguing, and the acting is excellent.

alexandriao

I went back to Avenue 5 after failing to get into it last time around, and I'm only one episode in but it's pretty funny.

I'm also watching:

Unknown

It's a really really really good semi-sci fi show. JK Simmons plays two versions of himself — one from our "Alpha" reality, and one from the alternative "Prime" reality. At some point the two realities started diverging and a "cold war" of sorts developed after some political and maybe military kerfuffling. The much meeker, sensitive version of himself from our reality is thrust into some very, almost scandi-noir poo poo by his toughened up gruff alter-ego. It really highlights for me how good an actor this guy is, because he basically carries the show. I'm halfway through season 1 and took a bit of a break because I kept falling asleep during the one episode (It wasn't not riveting, it's just me being a sleepy binch).

Out Of The Unknown

A totally different, 1960s sci-fi show, each episode is a different story by (usually) a golden age sci fi author. It's been surprisingly good so far, even the mediocre stuff has had some bite to it and kept me hooked long enough I got to the end of the episode. It took a while to piece this collection together from disparate sources, and I literally can't find this on any like, streaming service or anything like that, also because it's from the 1960s, only one episode from season 3 is not missing because the lovely folks from the BBC reused the tapes :negative:

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Saoshyant

Oh, that Unknown series sounds exactly the sort of thing I'm into! Alternative realities? Cold war? Great Acting? Sign me up!

alexandriao posted:

because the lovely folks from the BBC reused the tapes :negative:

There's nothing more tragic than some of the big content producers in the world having absolutely no interest in the preservation of their published work. BBC is especially infamous for this. Even some "recent" shows can be lost completely. There was this really funny BBC show I liked from the very early 00's, "Goodness Gracious Me", where a group of Indian actors would produce sketch comedy based on stupid stereotypes the Brits have about people from India, and where the writing also went the other way to showcase and mock Indians in Britain who would go to the other extreme to try and fit in. It was super creative and made me laugh frequently by the juxtaposition of both realities.

I did not grab its very limited DVD release about 20 years ago. And there are no copies of this show anywhere now. Not on streaming services, including BBC's, and even the pirate copies floating about are only DivX/Xvid conversions of the time with rather bad quality. Couldn't the BBC have remastered it and showed it off again? It's a show that honestly hasn't aged badly. But the BBC :shrug: about preservation.

Finger Prince

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, that Unknown series sounds exactly the sort of thing I'm into! Alternative realities? Cold war? Great Acting? Sign me up!

There's nothing more tragic than some of the big content producers in the world having absolutely no interest in the preservation of their published work. BBC is especially infamous for this. Even some "recent" shows can be lost completely. There was this really funny BBC show I liked from the very early 00's, "Goodness Gracious Me", where a group of Indian actors would produce sketch comedy based on stupid stereotypes the Brits have about people from India, and where the writing also went the other way to showcase and mock Indians in Britain who would go to the other extreme to try and fit in. It was super creative and made me laugh frequently by the juxtaposition of both realities.

I did not grab its very limited DVD release about 20 years ago. And there are no copies of this show anywhere now. Not on streaming services, including BBC's, and even the pirate copies floating about are only DivX/Xvid conversions of the time with rather bad quality. Couldn't the BBC have remastered it and showed it off again? It's a show that honestly hasn't aged badly. But the BBC :shrug: about preservation.

That sounds really funny! The DVD series looks like it's readily available on eBay.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Wednesday is good, despite a lot of the hate toward some of the casting decisions.

Sandman is an amazing experience, one of the all-time best series I have ever seen; beautiful cinematics!.

Cabinet of Curiosities was dark, I've only seen the first episode and will save the rest for watching on bright, sunny days...

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

canyoneer posted:

[Bob's Burgers is of course, terrific.

The movie is also very nice. Lots of cool songs. The kids actually liking each other is so wholesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have watched every loren bouchard show, and loved bobs burgers for a long time. then i watched this clip from one of the early seasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUA-Quoydow

some of the jokes have aged pretty poorly but compared to a clip from the current seasons like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO7RMA4dmJY

it's a really stark contrast between the old home movies style retro-scripting and improvised dialouge and what it is today, which is a lot more like every other show, with a script that is followed.

the dialogue just sounds less natural and i think it is less funny and it is at this point i will highly recommend home movies.

home movies is cartoon about a young boy who likes to make home movies with his friends. brendan small who folk mostly know from metalocalypse is the main character and every 22 min episode was cut down from somewhere like 4 hours of dialogue recorded. the first season looks kinda lovely because of the animation style they used and paula poundstone is in the first five eps so starting at season 2 would be a reasonable choice.

here are some bits i think are very funny, but i definitely accept it is not for everyone. i should give the bobs burgers film a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNrB9xmGPoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpNWWLjMHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8xzRNRKKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHIrUUy2UI