Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao

alexandriao posted:

Unknown

It's a really really really good semi-sci fi show. JK Simmons plays two versions of himself — one from our "Alpha" reality, and one from the alternative "Prime" reality. At some point the two realities started diverging and a "cold war" of sorts developed after some political and maybe military kerfuffling. The much meeker, sensitive version of himself from our reality is thrust into some very, almost scandi-noir poo poo by his toughened up gruff alter-ego. It really highlights for me how good an actor this guy is, because he basically carries the show. I'm halfway through season 1 and took a bit of a break because I kept falling asleep during the one episode (It wasn't not riveting, it's just me being a sleepy binch).

oops! sorry fellow goons and goonettes, this series is in fact called Counterpart

I'll just add that it's a very, very clever way to use science-fiction to keep the "cold-war era spycraft" vibes, and it just works super duper well.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 28, 2022

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frump truck

hello... again!

Heather Papps posted:

home movies is cartoon about a young boy who likes to make home movies with his friends. brendan small who folk mostly know from metalocalypse is the main character and every 22 min episode was cut down from somewhere like 4 hours of dialogue recorded. the first season looks kinda lovely because of the animation style they used and paula poundstone is in the first five eps so starting at season 2 would be a reasonable choice.

here are some bits i think are very funny, but i definitely accept it is not for everyone. i should give the bobs burgers film a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNrB9xmGPoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpNWWLjMHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8xzRNRKKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHIrUUy2UI

home movies is the best show of all time :hai:

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Working through the old 80's D&D cartoon series. Brings back memories of Saturday mornings. This was one of my favorites but it wasn't on regularly so it was a special treat. Some interesting adventures, but it does get a bit formulaic. They should have beaten up the Dungeon Master at every opportunity. It's kinda funny that Gygax was a producer, considering he had a reputation for being an rear end in a top hat DM. It's also funny that Pesto the magician has a green hat and robe.

baka of lathspell

Finger Prince posted:

I'm finally at the episode in the peripheral where the MET shows up! She's lovely! She was my favourite part of the books.

I watched this show a few times while falling asleep and hallucinated that this show was way closer to the books plot than it was so I eventually had no idea regarding the intricacies of what everyone was doing

the burton actors good so is the corbell picket

I wish they left in some of the crazier stuff from the book of course but it’s got an expansy vibe where u can just get stoned and enjoy what’s going on

not a terrible show this is my rating

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Has anyone watched Undone?

Scaly Haylie

samurai pizza cats

Heather Papps

hello friend

Scaly Haylie posted:

samurai pizza cats

it holds up? i watched it on ytv back in the day

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Scaly Haylie

Heather Papps posted:

it holds up? i watched it on ytv back in the day

in the first episode they're talking about how to deal with the monster of the week and someone suggests electing it vice president so they'll never hear from it again

Goons Are Gifts

lmfao

Scaly Haylie

there's an evil counterpart team (obviously) that shows up in multiple episodes and the show refuses to give any of them the same name twice

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm not entirely familiar with Samurai Pizza Cats but, from what I recall, its American localization is infamous because supposedly the translators had no script and basically just winged it. The whole thing. And apparently they winged it very strongly for hilarious results?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Scaly Haylie

idiotsavant

Heather Papps posted:

i have watched every loren bouchard show, and loved bobs burgers for a long time. then i watched this clip from one of the early seasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUA-Quoydow

some of the jokes have aged pretty poorly but compared to a clip from the current seasons like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO7RMA4dmJY

it's a really stark contrast between the old home movies style retro-scripting and improvised dialouge and what it is today, which is a lot more like every other show, with a script that is followed.

the dialogue just sounds less natural and i think it is less funny and it is at this point i will highly recommend home movies.

home movies is cartoon about a young boy who likes to make home movies with his friends. brendan small who folk mostly know from metalocalypse is the main character and every 22 min episode was cut down from somewhere like 4 hours of dialogue recorded. the first season looks kinda lovely because of the animation style they used and paula poundstone is in the first five eps so starting at season 2 would be a reasonable choice.

here are some bits i think are very funny, but i definitely accept it is not for everyone. i should give the bobs burgers film a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNrB9xmGPoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpNWWLjMHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8xzRNRKKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHIrUUy2UI
Home Movies is one of the best shows ever made, tied with Strangers With Candy i think. specifically the first season that still used squigglevision; i think a bunch of people hated it but somehow it aesthetically fits the show so well

Finger Prince

I just discovered this podcast series. This is the first episode I watched. It's so, so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksutov_l_gw

biosterous

i'm watching initial d

it is fun to watch cars go zooooooom to eurobeat

also i appreciate that they're using real cars and they use real-world driving terms and physics to show why the cars perform the way they do, even if it's stuff i don't understand i like that it's legit car facts

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Ohtori Akio
Déjà vu
I've just been in this place before
Higher on the street
And I know it's my time to go

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
my dad and i are watching the new quantum leap together and i think it's quite good, however i have not seen the original quantum leap so my dad has to fill me in on some plot points.

either way, i think it's good. time travel is cool.

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Twenty Four

barclayed posted:

my dad and i are watching the new quantum leap together and i think it's quite good, however i have not seen the original quantum leap so my dad has to fill me in on some plot points.

either way, i think it's good. time travel is cool.

The original ones were way more about just figuring out and solving whatever the person he leapt into's big problem. Other than that overall theme, and the main character and his hologram friend, each episode pretty much stood on its own.

The new one has the whole lab headquarters thing and more of an overall arc going on with that and figuring out the new traveler's amnesia lost motivations. It wouldn't be as good for just turning on a random episode in any order, but I think that's common for most shows these days. I felt like it didn't need it when I first saw it, but it might not hold as many people's attention without an ongoing story. However it didn't take long for that part to grow on me, and I admit I did start to enjoy it whereas the first couple of episodes I was like "hurry up and get back to the time travel guys adventures!"

Without having watched the old ones, I doubt anyone would even think that, but like I said, I think once they established some bases and general info, the pace settled in better, and overall I have enjoyed it so far.

Ice Phisherman

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Scaly Haylie posted:

in the first episode they're talking about how to deal with the monster of the week and someone suggests electing it vice president so they'll never hear from it again

Amazing.

I'll second Joe Pera Talks with You. As someone who grew up in the Midwest it scratches a particular itch with how wholesome and chill it is.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Ice Phisherman posted:

Amazing.

I'll second Joe Pera Talks with You. As someone who grew up in the Midwest it scratches a particular itch with how wholesome and chill it is.

especially during fall and winter. it's not just a show, it's a tool for automatic chilling :haibrower:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Ice Phisherman

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'm going to suggest the web series Thrilling Intent. It's a D&D fantasy-adventure comedy web series that's been running on for ten years now so you won't lack for content.

It's ran by a comedy improv troupe. Instead of having facecams like Critical Role or a podcast, they stick to Youtube and use custom 2D sets and drawn character models and there are tons of unique ones. Like uh...All of them. Hundreds of different background sets and maybe they've broken the thousand mark on drawn characters. They even have full blown professional looking animation from time to time. The quality of the voice acting is excellent and the story is fun as well. Since it's based on a D&D style world, the early episodes constantly poke fun at the very idea of being an adventurer.

The world feels extremely lived in. The characters are all fun and interesting. The players are fantastic. The storylines are interesting. And I'm continually stunned by how small the fanbase is for high quality the show is.

I will say that the early episodes are less polished and they don't fully come into their own until episode 45 with the "Wizard High School" plot which is not a high school for wizards, but shitshow rear end school for wizards that the party runs through while the one magic user in the party is constantly having awkward flashbacks to his days as a turbo nerd in actual wizard high school.

Also the music is all original and it's lowkey fantastic.

I can't recommend it enough. The show is a labor of love.

An intro that explains the premise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAY8Y1Qcw8

Episode 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJDm-BXJD8

Episode 45- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIdRpia_T0E

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 25, 2022

frump truck

hello... again!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Amazing.

Joe Pera Talks with You is the second best show, behind Home Movies

Bright Bart

I might binge the second season of Young Wallander. The Kenneth Branagh version of the character was dark.

baka of lathspell

I was watching the show 11. something something about going back to stop jfk from being assassinated. I can’t tell if the show or the book is better but fwiw I was annoyed by the book and the shows kind of annoying I guess but not as much. anyways if u love tik tok being jammed into the 1960s setting ull appreciate the only real anachronism the show has that I can think of just now

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I enjoyed the book, couldn't get into the series.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

baka of lathspell

Viginti Septem posted:

I enjoyed the book, couldn't get into the series.

ya diffo strokes and honestly the show isn’t that great but I guess I watched some of it

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Finger Prince

I watched the first 4 episodes of house of dragons on an airplane and was like, eh it's not terrible, I could probably watch the rest if I'm bored. I got like 2/3 the way through episode 5 last night and was like nope this is actually terrible and turned it off.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Finger Prince posted:

I watched the first 4 episodes of house of dragons on an airplane and was like, eh it's not terrible, I could probably watch the rest if I'm bored. I got like 2/3 the way through episode 5 last night and was like nope this is actually terrible and turned it off.

the leap in time of several years mid season rlly rustled my jimmies :mad:

did not finish

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Bright Bart

Bright Bart posted:

I might binge the second season of Young Wallander. The Kenneth Branagh version of the character was dark.

Binged. It wasn't as fun for me as the first season. But maybe it's my mood?

Saoshyant

I have some sort of cold since Monday and, while it's been lovely, I think it's mild. Binged a bunch of Parks and Recreation (starting on season 3 as per this thread's recommendation), and I can't believe I had never seen it before. I was familiar with some of the characters from online memes, but had never looked into it. Turns out it's really good! I love the heart, the characters, the setting, the humor. Go watch it, if you too have never seen it before.

Twenty Four

Saoshyant posted:

I have some sort of cold since Monday and, while it's been lovely, I think it's mild. Binged a bunch of Parks and Recreation (starting on season 3 as per this thread's recommendation), and I can't believe I had never seen it before. I was familiar with some of the characters from online memes, but had never looked into it. Turns out it's really good! I love the heart, the characters, the setting, the humor. Go watch it, if you too have never seen it before.

Probably an unpopular opinion: I know "Parks and Rec" is sort of a spin-off of "The Office", made by much of the same people with a very similar format, but it's pretty much better in every way. Way less infuriatingly annoying characters, way more well-meaning fun.

Someone might say "yeah but remember that time when" and I might agree it was a funny gag, but watching reruns of The Office I've seen before feels pretty cringy and uncomfortable often to me, but Parks and Rec is just such a much more enjoyable show as a whole and more rewatchable, though I haven't seen all of either show. Great cast too. Neither is really an all time favorite of mine, but I know where I stand. Saoshyant nailed it with "the heart and the characters".

Feel free to disagree with me, but I'll probably give you a Ron Swanson level of time of the day.

Glad you're enjoying it Saoshyant, and hope you feel better!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

baka fwocka fwame posted:

ya diffo strokes and honestly the show isn’t that great but I guess I watched some of it

There was one thing I really didn't like with the book, tho. The whole afterward section where King was like, "I've studied this subject hard and there is no truth to any conspiracy around his death at all. The warren commission account is 100% truthful and anyone who says there's anything nefarious that has been covered up is a liar."

Like... Really, bro? Not one thing was wonky with that whole event?

Saoshyant

Twenty Four posted:

watching reruns of The Office I've seen before feels pretty cringy and uncomfortable

That's funny, because it's exactly how I felt when I gave that show a try last year. I was depressed, wanted funny shows, had heard about this one for years, then watched four episodes and I just kept being reminded of bad bosses and colleagues, without anything positive to keep me watching. Dropped it. Steve Carell's performance was great, and I'm sure the show was as revolutionary to television as they say, but it wasn't for me in 2022.

"But Sao", you might say, "you should have watched the UK version of The Office instead!" Sure, I might do that one day even if just out of curiosity to see how different it is.

Anyway, Parks & Rec? Amazing! I just ended season 3 and can't wait for 4.

Scuba Trooper

i'm glad you're digging parks and rec!!!

i couldn't get into the office either. cringe comedy is very hit or miss for me and it's more often miss than hit

alexandriao

Bright Bart posted:

I really really liked Rölf Lassgård in that role but it's impossible to find copies of it, even at the same store i get my linux isos.

I did manage to scrape together maybe 4 episodes of his run by plumbing deep alleys, but

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

baka of lathspell

Viginti Septem posted:

There was one thing I really didn't like with the book, tho. The whole afterward section where King was like, "I've studied this subject hard and there is no truth to any conspiracy around his death at all. The warren commission account is 100% truthful and anyone who says there's anything nefarious that has been covered up is a liar."

Like... Really, bro? Not one thing was wonky with that whole event?

NGl my main problem with it was like the time travel character goes back in time and is like, aha I was there and JFKs death is an open and shut case or I remember something like that. I’m not a conspiracy maniac but cmon

then the end made everything seem pointless

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Yea, I read a ton of King for like two years. Good writer, tho.

Rose Madder was pretty good. And Bag of Bones too

But nothing compares to Lisey's Story for me. Great book

Quadramind

King is great to read, but not to think about too much. Excellent vibes a lot of the time, but plenty of forgettable endings and dumb plots.

Billy Summers was really cool.

baka of lathspell

I have a special spot in my heart for pet sem that’s a really good book lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

also i think beware the black grass or stay out of the grass or whatever it was called was a really decent adaptation and anything dumb in there just comes off as really funny and good

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)