Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This came out a few days ago on Steam and I'm loving it so far, surprised to see there was no thread so here's my crappy attempt, tell me if you got something for me to add. It's PC only at the moment but the mobile versions should be out in a month or two, and the console versions will be out next year, dates TBA.

The gameplay is great, it's very satisfying, it's simple to pick up but there is a lot of depth. Much less of an initial barrier to entry than either Rocket League or League of Legends. It has both WASD and classic MOBA controls.

The matches are short (4 minute timer) and there's no actual chat right now, it's much less toxic than you'd predict a MOBA to be.

It's free to play, with cosmetics.

Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1869590/Omega_Strikers/

Official Discord: https://discord.com/invite/omegastrikers

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horrible accident!
Jan 16, 2005

squashed by obelisk
but it was my own fault
This game rocks. I've bounced off every moba i've tried, but this game hits the spot! currently floating around silver in ranked using WASD controls with my buddies

if they fixed controller support and added replays after goals, it would be perfect!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Game is cool, my only complaint right now is bans in a game with ten characters is real dumb.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Game is real fun, ban system is a non-issue imo, since it's only one ban per team. If you don't like it you can also play unranked as well.

Just a short message to all forwards out there: If you didn't queue for goalie, please gtfo of the goal. You're only making it harder for your own.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

ops a moron for not naming the thread 'The Omega Strikers Omegathread'

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

its fun to play

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the only thing i don't really like about this game (other than the sometimes-questionable netcode) isthat there's really no way to make it visible to forwards that they actually need to score points to win the game. like the second a goal goes through the 50/50 of "will someone start spamming the ? sticker at their team's goalie" begins, but there's not really an equivalent emphasis on the fact that if you're trapped in a forever volley that means your forwards are failing at their task. there's really no feedback that you're doing poorly as a forward in the same way there is as a goalie (not necessarily poorly but that you probably made a mistake), for better or worse i guess

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game owns

witch can instant kill any goalie who is staring at the puck too much with her ORB

and rocket girl with the skill to recall on recast can be a highly aggressive goalie with no downside

unfortunately randoms have not yet entirely figured out they can aim their kicks

also the two over to win has gotten a 13-11 match

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Countblanc posted:

the only thing i don't really like about this game (other than the sometimes-questionable netcode) isthat there's really no way to make it visible to forwards that they actually need to score points to win the game. like the second a goal goes through the 50/50 of "will someone start spamming the ? sticker at their team's goalie" begins, but there's not really an equivalent emphasis on the fact that if you're trapped in a forever volley that means your forwards are failing at their task. there's really no feedback that you're doing poorly as a forward in the same way there is as a goalie (not necessarily poorly but that you probably made a mistake), for better or worse i guess

u can tell most people who have played this have never played a goal sport or seen it played before cause they constantly pass the ball back to the opposition over and over and then expect something different to happen

strong bird
May 12, 2009

also goalies just spamming spells isntead of left clicking the ball

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

my fave is goalies who spam spells but hit the puck into the goal with them

that said i have hosed up a lot as goalie era trying to throw out a buff but here comes a mach 2 puck idiot you were caught sleeping moron

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

this game kicks rear end. im the swag goalie + i never let the puck through using my extremely genious high level strategy of clearing the core in the direction that the enemy forwards are not standing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Game would be cool if they made it 1v1 but playing with teammates sucks

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

this game kicks rear end. im the swag goalie + i never let the puck through using my extremely genious high level strategy of clearing the core in the direction that the enemy forwards are not standing

Congratulations. This literally makes you a high ELO goalie.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

game 1: goalie afk
game 2: 2 players afk
game 3: teammate hits it into own goal 4 times
game 4: goalie afk
game 5: goalie afk

this game sucks and needs a way to leave matches

e: ok I played a real match now and it was fun

e: it sucks again now that it's making me play as not-the-goalie for missions

real talk though the game seems fun except I don't think I can get into it because a game w/ this much variance in player skill sucks poo poo to solo queue in

The number of people who stand next to their own goalie and kick their own goalie's saves right back at them is loving astounding :psyduck:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 27, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think in general, perhaps understandably, people are very hesitant to trust their teammates in this game. you see lots of situations where every forward is chasing the puck when the goalie's abilities are all available so there's no real danger, and if one team's forward stayed midscreen they'd have a completely open arena to take advantage of if the goalie passed it out plus easy access to camping orbs.

e; i wonder if some of that goes back to how difficult it can be to recognize good or bad plays that aren't "scored a goal" or to a lesser extent "got a KO". so it's easier to just assume everyone else is bad especially if they missed a shot or save you think you would have gotten.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Those situations get a lot better on mid to higher rankings. I'm just at high gold, and people already trust their goalies more and give them space, and I don't think I've had an afk player in 15+ hours.

That said, the path there can be painful.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They can hug me as the goalie all they want as long as they point their mouse toward the right side of the screen and not our own goal

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i only play with my friends who trust me unquestioningly for some reason even though i do some eheh plays where the goal is just wide open cause im doing some bullshit that didnt work when we are up 4-0

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It got a lot better even in Bronze. But my new pet peeve is people who just try to brawl the enemy but they do it in a way where they are hitting the toward our own goal and they keep knocking my saves back at me!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A quick tip for anyone playing Juno: You can actually manually aim where your slimes shoot the ball by timing a strike in the direction you want them to pass as they get the puck. Takes a while to get used to (and be very aware of tunnelvision!), but when you can pull it off, you can really catch people off guard.
It's a ton of of fun to play around with too.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Really enjoying this game. Starting to feel good as goalie but it doesn't really feel like many characters have the zone control to manage it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

curiousCat posted:

Really enjoying this game. Starting to feel good as goalie but it doesn't really feel like many characters have the zone control to manage it.
kai, asher, dubu, atlas, and luna are the characters id say work as goalie. juno is an edgecase where she can kind of work it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dubu, and to a lesser extent Atlus, is obviously the quintessential net-stander but yeah I think the category is more broad than it first appears. Similarly tools for forwards are more interesting or versatile than they might seem initially. It's pretty impressive tbh.

E: thinking about Juno goalie is giving me anxiety lol

strong bird
May 12, 2009

all ranged characters must remove themselves from the crease

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've taken Juno goalie almost to plat, it's definitely doable

Edit: Also, it's by far the character I have the most fun with as goalie

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 27, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like Dubu Goalie because he has enough zone control to push forward toward midfield and hold the ball there for a while. Not a fan of Atlas goalie because I let a lot of goals sneak by just by not having a movement skill, but I like him in theory beyond that with his healing ability and he'd probably he great with practice. The witch girl is kind of cool as a goalie - her right click is a good slow debuff on enemies and buffs teammates too while being a solid snipe, her movement skill is a team-wide speed buff that can help push to the far end of the field immediately if your team takes advantage of it, and being in the goal zone she's in a pretty good spot for sniping with her R - if someone's coming up the top or the bottom and you can catch them dead-on with a fully-charged R it will slam them repeatedly against the edge of the map and knock them off. But I feel like Dubu's movement skill is a huge advantage/crutch over the others I've tried as goalie and lets me save things I wasn't in position for, which means I can be out of position taking advantage of his ability to bully and zone.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 27, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

juno has to be insanely conscious of the ball and plays the enemy might make at basically all times due to her being small *and* slow, and her jump move having a delay before she actually hits the ground and can kick the ball, but the trade-off is that shes probably the goalie with the most influence on her punts

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You also get vastly more map control than the other goalies, you can influence the puck on basically the entire left side of the field from the goal zone.

Edit: On the other end, I can't stand playing Atlas, he's so passive.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played some games as Flex for the missions and while I didn't like being a Forward I can't stress enough how important it is for one forward to stay near the enemy goal at (nearly) all times, doing that I was able to catch a lot of passes and score before the enemy forwards could catch up, then when I switched back to Goalie I kept getting frustrated when both of my teammates would dogpile the puck when it was near our goal - I'd save and knock it downfield and there'd be no one to pick it up or do anything with it. In general I just wish these forwards would learn to ignore the puck occasionally to get in position - like if our goal is clear and the puck is headed straight for me, don't go knock it out of the way :argh: Just move downfield so I can pass it to you, goddamn. So many people will just knock it vertical and stop its momentum and let the enemy forwards catch up and bring it right back to me!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

estella, era, and drek are all odd goalie picks that also work out. I haven't actually seen a drek goalie (or more then like four games of him) but like estella if you are good at clicking the puck you can keep a pretty wide area covered as well as snipe it at the start

if you gently caress up and miss tho you eat poo poo

era has a pretty middling shot but it buffs and her haste template usually wins the center if the opposing team doesn't bring an era (spoiler; i am pretty sure era is one of the top picks) but as a goalie she has the please leave super that works really well on any of the maps with obstacles.

x and juno feel like they're really good low elo characters and immediately falls of a cliff

edit: while I am unconvinced atlas has a win rate to speak of

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also if you have a Luna goalie, you actually have half a goalie, but two and a half forwards

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
really been enjoying Stacks on Stack for Dubu and X, the former makes goaltending feel a lot safer and the latter gives me a much easier time getting better value out of his ult (plus it stacks mad fast since each individual hit gives a stack). Well Fed doesn't seem great but i see a lot of people taking it so i wonder if I'm missing something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

to memory well fed is just one of the mandatory ones in a category that isn't very big

strong bird
May 12, 2009

it makes you physically bigger which means your strike radius is bigger so you can win more trades

e: i believe it also makes your melee spell effects bigger as well but im not sure

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

strong bird posted:

it makes you physically bigger which means your strike radius is bigger so you can win more trades

e: i believe it also makes your melee spell effects bigger as well but im not sure

you're thinking of Built Different. these are the blue trainings:

well fed isn't BAD and it all but guarentees you'll never lose your Stacks on Stacks, but i wonder if the alternatives aren't a bit better for the characters you need to grab blue. Built Different + Large Things for Dubu seems like it may be stronger in most circumstances for instance.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

o yea

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i played estelle goalie but it feels like griefing a third of the time. its just worse than kai for all defense purposes and while estelle is better at scoring in a power play than kai if your team cant score in a power play with kai goalie youre probably going to lose anyway. if you do want to play estelle goalie make sure to take the training to let you teleport back

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

estelle's teleport is probably the single most reliable clutch save if you gently caress up there is

everyone else's movement options also hits the puck (into the goal (that's an own goal))

the rest of her skill set isn't great for it, though you can do some long range pokes to move the puck out of your side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dubu's movement skill stops the puck's momentum entirely :colbert: It's awesome for fakeouts