Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Studio posted:

Well, okay. Have a Rodney Update

:siren:

:siren:

Nothing quite like doing enemas with your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Meanwhile Cirie and Stephenie LaGrossa were on the Peacock show The Traitors that dropped this past week. They were pretty enjoyable on it. The game is just mafia with pointless challenges thrown in but since it takes place over multiple days, there's also like a social game that evolved in it where people made friends and stuff. I would probably watch it again if they make a s2.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Meanwhile Cirie and Stephenie LaGrossa were on the Peacock show The Traitors that dropped this past week. They were pretty enjoyable on it. The game is just mafia with pointless challenges thrown in but since it takes place over multiple days, there's also like a social game that evolved in it where people made friends and stuff. I would probably watch it again if they make a s2.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Finally Cirie gets a win! But I have to wonder if none of the other players had ever seen her seasons of Survivor, because Cirie is well known for being one of the best liars out there. Not a single person suspected her all game, and that's mind-blowing to me.

It's not surprising at all that Kate Chastain ended up being the breakout star of the season. She made Below Deck the reality tv show juggernaut that it is today, with 5 franchises that play endlessly on Bravo. It was hilarious when she started throwing the challenges because she realized what was the point of her even trying if everyone was always targeting her and she was never going to get in the money in the end.

If they do a season 2 though, they need to make it all regular people or all reality tv alumni. Everybody had preconceived notions of the reality people. But they also picked these reality people for the most part because they knew they make good TV, so 90% of the confessionals featured them. I feel like we barely got to know any of the regular people by the end of the season.

Alan Cumming was endlessly entertaining as a host though, and dare I say it, he might make a fun replacement for Jeff Probst. Different than what you would expect. But I would expect he would only want to do it for a season or 2.

Edit:

Gay twitter this morning is calling for Hannah Ferrier from Below deck, and Melissa Beck from Real World New Orleans to be on a possible season 2.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 19, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Since it’s a BBC show we got the whole US series dumped on the BBC iPlayer at once and while the UK version picked up some serious steam over time no-one here seems to like the US version much.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Most people I've seen who watched both have been rating them pretty equally. I heard the Australian version, as with Survivor, is long as hell and starts slow but ultimately ends up as the best of the three. Have only seen the US vers myself though. and I guess it started as a Dutch show but I haven't seen anyone talk about that one

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

Most people I've seen who watched both have been rating them pretty equally. I heard the Australian version, as with Survivor, is long as hell and starts slow but ultimately ends up as the best of the three. Have only seen the US vers myself though. and I guess it started as a Dutch show but I haven't seen anyone talk about that one

I haven't finished watching the AUS one yet, but both AUS and UK are 12ish episodes

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I watched the full UK version and half the US version.

The UK version was a little bizarre to me because people just constantly cry, like they were crying on the first day! Nothing wrong with showing emotions but it was really strange to me to see people openly weeping that someone they've spoken to for an hour is gone lol. But they felt like pretty genuine people and the midseason drama around that "reveal" was pretty funny.

The US version I didn't like much due to so many of the celebrity people. Some of them were fun but most of them just felt extremely annoying to the point that I stopped watching around when one of them decided she was done playing the game entirely.

Alan Cummings was okay, feel like they decided that since it's the US they needed him to play up being more of an rear end in a top hat similar to Gordon Ramsey but it felt really forced to me. Liked the vibe of the UK host lady more.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

koolkal posted:

Alan Cummings was okay, feel like they decided that since it's the US they needed him to play up being more of an rear end in a top hat similar to Gordon Ramsey but it felt really forced to me. Liked the vibe of the UK host lady more.

Huh? I don't see the comparison at all. Gordon Ramsey is known for screaming at people. Alan was just quippy and gay.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Survivor adjacent: My season just launched, come and watch if you'd like!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022293

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't finished watching the AUS one yet, but both AUS and UK are 12ish episodes
didn't realize that, I may check it out although idk if i will or not.

Nihonniboku posted:

Huh? I don't see the comparison at all. Gordon Ramsey is known for screaming at people. Alan was just quippy and gay.
yeah he was just having fun with the role, any "meanness" was clearly just him hamming things up

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Nihonniboku posted:

I worded that a bit poorly, didn't mean to imply Cummings was acting like Ramsey. I meant it felt similar to Ramsey in the sense that his US persona is angrier and purposefully mean compared to his UK version. I felt the same way about Cummings vs. the UK host where it seemed like he was told to just play being mean more to appeal to Americans loving aggression and assholes.

This basically.

Like how he would just take down people's pictures and just throw them onto the floor, it felt so unnecessary.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It was camp not mean

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was camp not mean

Yea, I just didn't get meanness at all. It was definitely high camp. And I think the era of mean reality tv in the US has been over for quite a while. Now every reality competition show is full of sob stories, Survivor included.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CODChimera posted:

is russell out of money or something? i thought he was supposed to be rich

hearsay is he got owned in the crypto crash, other hearsay implies that his marriage and/or oil/house flipping businesses collapsed

But really the whole family is full of assholes and victims who become assholes so none of this should be surprising

koolkal posted:

Like how he would just take down people's pictures and just throw them onto the floor, it felt so unnecessary.

Couldn't throw them into the fireplace that was right there because they were renting the castle and some other country's version of the show probably needed the place in another 2-3 weeks to film a season

The show was solid and got better as it progressed although there was only one person who had a character arc, and the result was predictable as soon as I heard it was 10 reality stars and 10 nobodies.

Would recommend it though, especially if you've ever played even a single game of Mafia/Werewolf in your life.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 21, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
44 Cast is out for whomever wants to create the new thread and get the Pony/Poisons going.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-44-cast-photos-bios-revealed/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also if you’re in the UK, for seemingly no reason Survivor South Africa is being shown on Dave and is on the UKTV Play app to stream.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Occupation: Yogi... Like your job is just doing Yoga. Not even instructing, just doing the yoga. Or maybe like Yogi the bear... Who knows :lol:

Also for anyone interested. Australian Survivor Heroes Vs. Villains started up this week, featuring 12 returning players and 12 new players. Includes Nina Twine and King George, even more full of himself than before... I have an Australian Survivor thread here, even though nobody ever posts in it

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Teek posted:

44 Cast is out for whomever wants to create the new thread and get the Pony/Poisons going.

Just saw that it's out. I'll start work on a new OP. Give me a few days but it'll be out by the weekend, once I can scrounge up some free time.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also for anyone interested. Australian Survivor Heroes Vs. Villains started up this week, featuring 12 returning players and 12 new players. Includes Nina Twine and King George, even more full of himself than before... I have an Australian Survivor thread here, even though nobody ever posts in it

Thanks for this

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Teek posted:

quote:

Carson Garrett, Age 20

Why do you want to be part of Survivor? I want to be part of Survivor to win the game I know and love and prove that age does not define success. As someone who has obsessively studied the evolution of game theory within Survivor, I cannot wait to test myself and see how my unique thought process and strategic background fare on a game built upon the idea of adaptability. While I believe that winning Survivor requires some luck, I think that my intuition and discernment will lead me down a path to victory.
if this dude makes the merge i will eat my hat lmao

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Two different contestants that cite Angelina "Natalie can I have your coat?" Keeley as their Survivor inspiration

Season's gonna loving own :allears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lauren is my vote for hair of the season.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

ninjahedgehog posted:

Two different contestants that cite Angelina "Natalie can I have your coat?" Keeley as their Survivor inspiration

This is the usual recruit response pattern FYI, since DvG was on Netflix and was likely the season they watched in pregame isolation

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

There's a Noura in there :pray:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im all in on yam yam

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Spokes posted:

if this dude makes the merge i will eat my hat lmao

Guaranteed I probably told this kid's parents they got 15 cents for their trade in at the Rome GameStop

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
haven't read through all of them yet, but when i'm on i will be citing Lydia Meredith as not only my inspiration, but the model for my entire game

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Good opinion

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Occupation: Yogi... Like your job is just doing Yoga. Not even instructing, just doing the yoga. Or maybe like Yogi the bear... Who knows :lol:

There’s the usual questionable decisions from Australian production but so far this bizarre cast seems to work and it is so nice to see the tribe dynamics and pre tribal scramble play out and understand who people will be voting for and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Okay I was a little late and it didn't get done this weekend BUUUUUT

NEW THREAD

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023442&pagenumber=1#lastpost