Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
This episode was bloody for our pick em league! I doubt we'll see another like it as the player pool dwindles in size.

Farewell to Sal, Cena, and Fast Luck; please go get your chins looked at on your way out:

Right now, I would consider Shemp and myself "in the lead" as we are the only two players with boots behind us, giving us a larger viable pool. That's certainly likely to change soon, though!

Speaking of, head over here for round 4! https://forms.gle/9inabJ1VQ58HdgJM9

In terms of episode talk, pretty sure next week is gonna be a double boot/immunity with the whole sub-tribe gambit coming into play. This was a solid ep, and the minority bottom played it the best they could but made the smart play of falling into line when they seemingly realized there wasn't traction. That kills the "7" just as much as a vote-out from the 7 would have, especially with Cassidy slipping a hilarious, spunky vote.

Chili fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

So if the 7 cleans house next week, my guess would be Owen and Noelle gone (immunities allowing of course). Thing is, some of these people have to be smart enough to realize that this is their last chance to cut the old Coco block before it's an unassailable majority, especially after the pushback on sacrificing Ryan this week.

E: Also I'm going to gloat while it's still true; I'm the only person in the league with a fully intact team!

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2022

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Leatherhead posted:

E: Also I'm going to gloat while it's still true; I'm the only person in the league with a fully intact team!

Yeah, my whole bench is out now. I think I am going to start slipping down the ranks going forward. Congrats

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Leatherhead posted:

So if the 7 cleans house next week, my guess would be Owen and Noelle gone (immunities allowing of course). Thing is, some of these people have to be smart enough to realize that this is their last chance to cut the old Coco block before it's an unassailable majority, especially after the pushback on sacrificing Ryan this week.

Well, Cassidy clearly wants Ryan out badly, so Coco isn't an entirely united front.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I should have picked Sami earlier because after this week's episode I'm basically terrified that he's going to get sent home on any given week now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I should have picked Sami earlier because after this week's episode I'm basically terrified that he's going to get sent home on any given week now.
Yeah I thought he was going home after his grand confessional speech. Seemed like a setup for an immediate downfall.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Sami is the Xander this show needs.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I know this is a tired criticism at this point, but does this season feel even more like Calvinball than usual? I truly have no clue what the relationships are, except that everyone finds Gabler annoying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dugong posted:

I know this is a tired criticism at this point, but does this season feel even more like Calvinball than usual? I truly have no clue what the relationships are, except that everyone finds Gabler annoying.

It feels like one of those seasons where nobody really stands out

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I have decided to go to the LA Wendall and Brice show if other goons decide to attend

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Studio posted:

I have decided to go to the LA Wendall and Brice show if other goons decide to attend

yknow what why not

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'll let you know what the vibe is after the DC one. I'm excited!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

yknow what why not

:coolfish: Eliminated Gang Meetup :coolfish:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i am not having a good week of predicting

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F-yQZ4e76k

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Eating good in the loving neighborhood!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally got around to watching the backlog of this season and catching up. Really enjoying it. Nothing really new to add to the conversations. Very good cast. A few of them rub me the wrong way but no one comes off like a huge rear end in a top hat or anything. Karla and Jesse are probably my lowkey good playing favorites. Noelle is cool. Ryan is a preposterous idiot. Poor Jeanine. Sorry I missed out on the games. The lack of any kind of clear masterminds or leading players probably disappoints some but I like this more nuanced, fluid kind of game that comes down to relationships and more subtle moves and just picking the right time. Karla and Jesse both seem to have a sense of when NOT to make a move or push their agenda too hard which to me is the most impressive skill in these kind of games. Especially with this cast where it seems like if you push your neck out a little too far they're anxious to take the easy swipe. But also nice that it all seems to be done civilly and without any unnecessary villainy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think my main issue with the cast is due to how they edit the show now. Since we get very little of camp life, and it's almost entirely focused on challenges, strategizing, and discussion of their tragic backstories with family members dying at the hand of Sauron which has inspired them to win Survivor, other than the major personalities like Cody, we don't really get a sense of who any of these people are. It's hard to root for someone if there is nothing really there to root for.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Nihonniboku posted:

I think my main issue with the cast is due to how they edit the show now. Since we get very little of camp life, and it's almost entirely focused on challenges, strategizing, and discussion of their tragic backstories with family members dying at the hand of Sauron which has inspired them to win Survivor, other than the major personalities like Cody, we don't really get a sense of who any of these people are. It's hard to root for someone if there is nothing really there to root for.
I think this is largely a consequence of the 26-day format. When every episode is a day, and half of that day is spent going to/from/at the challenge, there's not much camp life to show except for the pre-vote scrambling when people have their shields up.

This might also be why we're getting like 10-minute tribal council segments, which are just people lying to Jeff until he lets them go vote.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

I think this is largely a consequence of the 26-day format. When every episode is a day, and half of that day is spent going to/from/at the challenge, there's not much camp life to show except for the pre-vote scrambling when people have their shields up.

This might also be why we're getting like 10-minute tribal council segments, which are just people lying to Jeff until he lets them go vote.

Oh, that makes so much sense. I'd never thought about it that way! The game's cut by a ~third or so, but because of the fixed demands on time (challenges, confessionals), they might actually have only ~half as much daytime in camp as before.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Leatherhead posted:

Just even more reason to go back to a 39 day game. Dare I say it, even if it means that we only get one season a year. Maybe even have two cuts of the show, the standard 42 minute cut for airing on CBS live, and then a 90 minute cut airing on Paramount Plus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nihonniboku posted:

Just even more reason to go back to a 39 day game. Dare I say it, even if it means that we only get one season a year. Maybe even have two cuts of the show, the standard 42 minute cut for airing on CBS live, and then a 90 minute cut airing on Paramount Plus.

A lot of British shows do this, a standard half hour cut and an extended 45m cut for repeating on satellite channels. I'm frankly amazed none of the streaming services tied to terrestrial networks in the US have done this yet.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Just give me 3-4 eps a week like Australia

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nexous posted:

Just give me 3-4 eps a week like Australia

please do not do this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should do a 100 day season and let us watch it in real time like big brother used to do. Give me 50 Island cameras and 3 months off work, I'd get so into it lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't remember who I picked this week, but hopefully whoever it is doesn't get kicked out on the probable double boot.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh right! I gotta post this! Standby.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
*paging icephoenix* hurry up and sub!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I could have sworn I picked already when you posted it but I went back to find the form and submitted and also instantly regretted my choice

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Alrighty, got it in before the buzzer!

Good luck out there, hope Owen squeaks by!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't really like the way James has been trying to gaslight Owen

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't really like the way James has been trying to gaslight Owen

Man really can't take confrontation at all. I hope Owen gets through

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Diabetic posted:

Man really can't take confrontation at all. I hope Owen gets through

lol he is so angry. I don't think I've ever seen someone put on their buff with that much force before, like the equivalent of slamming a door, but it's 6 ounces of spandex

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

lol he is so angry. I don't think I've ever seen someone put on their buff with that much force before, like the equivalent of slamming a door, but it's 6 ounces of spandex

I know he was generally confused by why Owen was mad but anyone with two brain cells could see James just had a hard on to get Owen out. Glad he's gone but that is one vote Owen would never get anyway lol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On one hand Owen probably should have handled that better. On the other hand James seemed to really believe that Owen should have just voted the wrong way and then accepted his place as the next one out because he was at the mercy of the power players. There’s always some players like that who just can’t see the game from any perspective but their own. You can’t really argue them into empathy.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

STAC Goat posted:

On one hand Owen probably should have handled that better. On the other hand James seemed to really believe that Owen should have just voted the wrong way and then accepted his place as the next one out because he was at the mercy of the power players. There’s always some players like that who just can’t see the game from any perspective but their own. You can’t really argue them into empathy.

Yeah, I don’t know if this Godfather narrative is how it actually went down or what other players (mostly Owen) were pushing.

I would have been fine with Owen going home this episode tbh, that was a real bad look for him

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Noelle stealing the "targets" vote to use it to vote against someone else is a pretty clever use of the steal a vote. Also interesting to use the steal a vote to block somebody from using the shot in the dark that exists but nobody plays. Also seems like it would be the obvious play for James there to use the knowledge is power to steal the vote for himself, although if Karla flipped it still wouldn't have saved him.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I forgot it was a double this week. I was pretty sure Ryan had exactly one vote left and wanted to pick him before it was too late.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Aw I'll miss Ryan. He was a sweetheart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ironic Twist posted:

I would have been fine with Owen going home this episode tbh, that was a real bad look for him

You think Owen looked bad this week? All he did was call out James's obvious bullshittery and blatant lying. Just last week James was encouraging Owen to drop out of the challenge, saying he had his back, when he obviously did not. Owen saw through it then too.