Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
first is the program cavendish, which "is a robust and easy to use visualization tool for the N-body problem" and in practice means loading the included solar system file and launching planet sized meteors at it

i never had a good reason to use it but i still think about iham on irye, which is "a set of three applications used to control iTunes over a LAN or WAN network"

the creator of that also had an app called AAPL Stock Dock which is what it sounds like, if this website is to be believed, buying $100 of AAPL in 2002 would be worth $69,210 today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m loving around with an orbital toy i’m making so this is very convenient. my one is quite simple though and I want to call it beta orbiter. so far it just draws pretty lines and disappoints people

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Soiled Meat
there used to be a tool for os x called "visual grep" and it was a graphical window that you could type expressions into grep and it would show them in the results.

it cost like $30 at one point iirc

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Thinkin' about unison. The over the top usenet reader so you could enjoy your crusty usenet discussions on alt.discussions.sonicfanfics with the best in class cocoa ui

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
does colloquy still work

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

painstakingly cataloging my dvd collection in delicious library

and of course, textmate

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Checking versiontracker.com twice a week for new updates to Fire.app and Watson.

And be sure to check macosxhints.com to learn all the hidden defaults write commands! You can make the terminal windows transparent!!!
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20001120133050864

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you have a G4, there's an alternate app for Quake 3 that you can download from id software that enables AltiVec optimisations.
(suck it, Pentium lusers!!!)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you're still using Internet EXPLODER 5.2, do yourselves a favour and check out OmniWeb.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really miss what we lost in the M1 transition. I’m talking about Cathode

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J25oGug4wUU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Soiled Meat
does that not work in rosetta2?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Checking versiontracker.com twice a week for new updates

jesus christ i completely forgot about versiontracker.com. i can't even remember what it used to look like... it's been like 20 years

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
can anyone recommend some cool Konfabulator widgets

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tmesis posted:

can anyone recommend some cool Konfabulator widgets

can't believe apple is running them out of business with dashboard. sherlock'd again

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

~Coxy posted:

Checking versiontracker.com

aaag

~Coxy posted:

If you have a G4, there's an alternate app for Quake 3 that you can download from id software that enables AltiVec optimisations.

lol gently caress you

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lord funk posted:

jesus christ i completely forgot about versiontracker.com. i can't even remember what it used to look like... it's been like 20 years

it looks good

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i miss quartz composer

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

there used to be a tool for os x called "visual grep" and it was a graphical window that you could type expressions into grep and it would show them in the results.

it cost like $30 at one point iirc

this was good but got owned by regex101.com and other similar sites

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I wish the Ventrilo server admin would pony up the extra three bucks a month to enable Speex codec. I'm sick of having to run the Windows version in Virtual PC.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

does that not work in rosetta2?

idk I can’t find it in my App Store purchases on my M1 so assumed it’s blacklisted or smth

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

just remembered omnidazzle

https://web.archive.org/web/20090918192557/http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidazzle/

added a bunch of effects to the mouse cursor like some 90s windows plus pack thing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Hed posted:

idk I can’t find it in my App Store purchases on my M1 so assumed it’s blacklisted or smth

looks like it was pulled however long ago. i still have a copy on my work intel macbook if anyone would like it

did a quick search and maybe it's available via brew? i dont have that installed

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

colloquy was the precursor for discord/slack change my mind

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Share Bear posted:

that was wave imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
1) quicksilver
2) that quake terminal thing that drops down from the top edge when you hit ctrl+~

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i always thought the name XPostFacto was clever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tinkertool technically still exists but apple has locked down a lot of the settings I used to use it for. it was my #1 post install software, I miss being able to move the dock to the corner of the screen

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

tinkertool technically still exists but apple has locked down a lot of the settings I used to use it for. it was my #1 post install software, I miss being able to move the dock to the corner of the screen

tinkertool was the poo poo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rotor posted:

2) that quake terminal thing that drops down from the top edge when you hit ctrl+~

Visor

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

qirex posted:

also, making hidden apps have translucent icons on the dock was required

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

(suck it, Pentium lusers!!!)

I forgot that I do actually have a screenshot of this, although the screenshot is obviously from much later

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hell yeah urban terror

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Share Bear posted:

irccloud

colloquy was cool too tho

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

any of yall use hotline

it was a sort of bbs / IRC / filesharing protocol with a nice apple look-and-feel graphical client, the best way in 1997 to, I'm told, get Warcraft 2 ISOs and 64khz alexisonfire MP3s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dijkstracula posted:

any of yall use hotline

yes i was a mod on omnimac

rip hotline, peace be to hinks

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

graph posted:

yes i was a mod on omnimac

same, on Church Of Bob 68k, everyone's favourite place for games and desktop accessories if ur parents didn't love you enough to upgrade the household tech in a decade :mad:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Dijkstracula posted:

any of yall use hotline

honestly can't imagine anyone in yospos that would

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

honestly can't imagine anyone in yospos that would

:negative:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i wasn't hip enough to have hotline in its prime :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006