Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's about scale, a single nuke is like spitting into a bathtub.

so what you're saying is, assuming the average bathtub holds 80 gallons of water and the average spit weighs about 3 grams, or about 0.101 ounces, that we'd need about 105,527 nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
hurricanes blow

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Hurricane Fiona sucked me off??!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
storm surge usually shows the maximum possible forecasted, generally doesn't actually hit all those levels (knock on wood)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
seems bad!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Farg posted:

track is shifting west now

:siren:wobble detected!!:siren:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
this seems like it could be a big deal

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the thing. the hurra-whatzit

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
surgecam 9 is getting surged

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

big nipples big life posted:

he shouldn't have posted the cat if he was not going to go get it.

maybe he did this for the first 10 kittens he saw

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i hope brad and arnold are ok :ohdear:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Any idea how the impacts were to Rotonda West? We’ve got some elderly family out there who refused to evacuate and haven’t heard a peep.

Just from the radar I think that area got pretty high sustained winds but it seems that new construction dealt with that pretty well so as long as the flooding wasn't bad it should still be there...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Rotonda West is Charlotte County B zone which was marked for evac. I haven't heard a reliable report if the surge was the apocalypse they called for. But based on some of those Charlotte County web cams they probably got wet at least.

There's only a few roads in, probably won't hear much news about it for a couple days if they rode it out ok else the gossip will be coming from the heli flights about it being missing.

The surge in Ft Myers looked real bad but other than that it seemed like if you were above sea level a bit more it wasn't totally devastating. I think inland the threat would be more from rainfall...

My family vacationed down in Captiva when I was a kid so I hope that's not completely wrecked (again)

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 29, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

nwin posted:

Welp. The in-laws somehow survived in Rotonda West. Their roof is gone and the ceiling collapsed in 2/5 of the rooms but they are luckily alive.

Yikes, glad to hear it.

It seems that based on videos taken after the first eyewall but before the second, compared with the final aftermath, that the second eyewall hit was much worse.

My parents have a house in that general area, roof survived based on initial reports. Big win was not a lot of storm surge - seems there was some relation between the time of being hit with the water all being sucked out of the bay that the surge was reduced at that particular point, otherwise the whole island would have been underwater. Lots of tree damage, roof damage. But compared with Ft Myers it's practically not worth mentioning.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah, we seem to have figured out how to build them to withstand wind.

Shame about all that water!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Here is a big map of imagery taken by NOAA after the hurricane, for anyone who might want to check on a specific area: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#17/26.74545/-82.26129. Covers Venice Beach down to Marco Island, including Port Charlotte, Ft Myers, Naples, etc.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

quote:

the center line is (not mathematically, but essentially) the average track of the models they use rather than a set-in-stone prediction.

Yeah this is not true, the line only marks the progress of time. The location of the storm within the cone is entirely indeterminate and no location should be regarded as more probable than any other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
So the good news there is in another decade when it's a twice-a-year event people will be well practiced.