Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Playstation VR2 is the PS5-based successor to the PS4-based Playstation VR, the virtual reality peripheral that worked far better than we had any right to expect. This time, in additional to having vastly more computing horsepower behind it, the headset will be using all-new technology developed specifically for VR, rather than a grab bag of kitbashed legacy Sony gimmicks.

How much and when

The Playstation VR 2 will launch on February 22, 2023. It will cost $549/€599.99 for the base kit, and $599/€649.99 for a bundle with Horizon: Call of the Mountain.

That's a lot. What are the new cool things
  • A much better display: The PSVR2’s display is an HDR OLED screen with 2000x2040 pixels per eye (this is more than both eyes combined got on the PSVR 1) over a 110-degree field of view, running at 90 or 120 frames per second.
  • Inside-out tracking: Rather than using cameras mounted on your TV that track the headset’s position, the PSVR2 uses cameras mounted on the headset that track your TV’s position. No, seriously, they track the environment around them to find fixed reference points like walls and furniture. This leads to both more accurate tracking and less of a setup hassle, since it no longer requires a separate device to be connected. It also lets it do fun stuff like taking a look at the room outside while still wearing the headset and analyzing your layout to produce customized warnings for when you’re about to bump into things.
  • Eye tracking and foveated rendering: There are additional cameras pointed inward, so the headset can see in which direction your eyeballs are pointed. This lets it take advantage of the fact that you only see high detail in a small region of your field of view by concentrating rendering effort on where you’re looking and skimping around the edges where you won’t notice.
  • Single-cable connection: All of these new features and the 4K120 video feed have been crammed into a single USB-C cable, which is now all you need to plug in when setting it up. No more camera and no more processor box, which also means the inevitable PC support will be easier to configure too.
  • Headset haptics: There’s a vibration motor in it, so when a robot dinosaur punches you in the head you can really feel it. Sure, why not.

The controllers are also all-new, and ditch the old Dual Shock 4 and positively ancient PS Moves for a modernized controller designed with VR in mind.

What does that mean exactly
  • Analog sticks: Finally, PS players don’t have to choose between fine-grained movement and hand motion tracking. Each controller has a clickable analog stick, two face buttons, a trigger, and a “grip” button (on the side, where it can be activated by a squeezing gesture).
  • Finger tracking: The controller can tell where your fingers are even if you lift them off the buttons, allowing you to flip people off in virtual reality.
  • Haptics: The controllers use the same technology as the Dual Sense, so they can produce rich vibrational feedback and communicate tension and resistance through the triggers.

OK where are the games

PSVR 2 is not backwards compatible with PSVR 1 games, but you won’t care because you’ll be playing games like:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m preordering day 1. The only reason I didn’t play with my original PSVR as much as I wanted was just how much of a pain it was to hook up. Looking forward to the single wire setup.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hope USB C is strong enough to take a potential jolt or at the very least the cable can be replaced if something happens to it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Also gonna preorder day 1. Give it to meee, I hope some of the PSVR1 games I didn't get around to get updated for PSVR2!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm too suspicious to preorder but extremely looking forward to this as an upgrade from my OG Quest hopefully just in time to avoid the log in requirement becoming mandatory.

Horizon thing looks awesome, can't wait to play Ragnarock in HD even if I'm too busy hitting drums to look at the scenery anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

if they made hardspace a PSVR2 title that'd be pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5L9Mvh7tAk

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

if they made hardspace a PSVR2 title that'd be pretty cool

lol no thanks I get a little light headed just playing that game on my TV.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are ways to do comfortable VR in zero G, Lone Echo on PC did it pretty well from what I've read. There was a PSVR 1 game called Starblood Arena that was sort of like Descent and I don't remember reading major complaints about it.

At worst, they could put on a vignette any time you're not fully braked.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 26, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i think i sincerely would vomit if i was upside down and got smashed in the face so my helmet caved in, in VR

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You should join the goon Playstation discord.

We have a tag for PSVR 2 wanters and will help ping when stock is ready/available for preorder.

Plus you get to chat Playstation games with some of the most chill folks on the forums

Link at : https://discord.gg/Jzejfvmgk8

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

haveblue posted:

There are ways to do comfortable VR in zero G, Lone Echo on PC did it pretty well from what I've read. There was a PSVR 1 game called Starblood Arena that was sort of like Descent and I don't remember reading major complaints about it.

At worst, they could put on a vignette any time you're not fully braked.

Yeah Lone Echo feels good. You grab and push off things it's very comfortable

Tbh I think a lot of VR barfiness equates to inputs not lining up to feel like the speed naturally matches the controls.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

well, if it hasn't ramped up yet then it will very soon, pretty confident launch window figures

https://www.destructoid.com/sony-ps-vr2-report-headsets-shipment-units-update/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More games I didn't have in the OP list, from here:

Low-Fi (a cyberpunk game that's been in development for so long it originally targeted PSVR 1)

Pavlov: Shack (a port of the Quest version, which is somewhat cut down from the PC original)

Alvo (a PSVR2-native update of a tactical shooter originally for PSVR 1)

Ghostbusters VR (also a Quest port)

Ghosts of Tabor (also a tactical shooter)

Resident Evil 4 Remake (no explanation needed)

Among Us VR (sus)

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

I hope USB C is strong enough to take a potential jolt or at the very least the cable can be replaced if something happens to it.

I'm honestly more concerned that I'll be pulling the PS5 off it's shoddy, wobbly mount that barely clips onto the back of the system.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just to keep the rumor mill going, there was yet another mention of Half-Life: Alyx coming to PSVR 2. Again, just a rumor with "our source says" etc., but figured I'd mention it anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can your sources also say "Beat Saber port, and you keep all your DLC?"

Cause yeah

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Can your sources also say "Beat Saber port, and you keep all your DLC?"

Cause yeah

You're not getting that for free.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I still gotta wonder if Beat Saber is coming over at all. For the extra revenue maybe, but Meta's main goal is to get people on Quest and using Beat Saber as a wedge would help with that.

HL: Alyx is more likely as it's not like Valve are gonna be bringing in more Index users at this point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alyx will probably come down to whether or not Sony wants to push for it or not.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'd imagine there would be those in Valve who would like the game they made to be accessible to a broader amount of people. I don't think the decision rests with Sony, of course they want a big AAA game to leech licensing fees off of.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just don't think valve gives a poo poo either way about consoles at this point, so I would imagine they would be open to releasing Alyx on PSVR2 if Sony pushed for it, but at the same time I'd be surprised if they took it upon themselves just to sell more copies, since they really don't need to at all. At one point I thought it was a sure thing, but if that was the case I think Sony would have announced it by now and they haven't. If Alyx coming to PSVR2 was a shoe in, we would have already heard about it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess that it doesn't pose an interesting challenge is a problem in an environment like in Valve. Still, all it would take is some bored programmer to get a basic port going, even if the reasoning only stems from a desire for more people to play the game they helped create, then getting a few rolly desks pushed together to help polish it off enough to be certified and publishable. No one needs to get approvals or sign offs to start projects over there.

The issue may not be lack of interest so much as manpower. They are throwing a lot of resources at Steam Deck lately.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 11, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

I guess that it doesn't pose an interesting challenge is a problem in an environment like in Valve. Still, all it would take is some bored programmer over there to get a basic port going, even if the reasoning only stems from a desire for more people to play the game they helped create, then getting a few rolly desks pushed together to help polish it off enough to be certified and publishable.

The issue may not be lack of interest so much as manpower. They are throwing a lot of resources at Steam Deck lately.

Arguement's sake, etc, but if their standalone Deckard headset remotely exists in their hardware development timeline they might hypothetically consider porting Alyx as an optimization exercise in VR software.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

For Deckard to succeed it'll need to be able to play existing PCVR games without each game needing to be hand optimised. Alyx already scales extremely well anyway, Deck already hits all it's requirements aside from GPU performance.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Facebook bought the studios that made RE4 VR and Iron Man VR, and doesn't seem interested in competing with Sony at the high end of the market.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1579913722667335682?t=Mj89YF4UrJ17FEKxqFAC2A&s=19

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

I just don't think valve gives a poo poo either way about consoles at this point, so I would imagine they would be open to releasing Alyx on PSVR2 if Sony pushed for it, but at the same time I'd be surprised if they took it upon themselves just to sell more copies, since they really don't need to at all. At one point I thought it was a sure thing, but if that was the case I think Sony would have announced it by now and they haven't. If Alyx coming to PSVR2 was a shoe in, we would have already heard about it.

I wish I could have played Half Lite Alyx, a game I own, on my playstation VR2. I still hope that Valve will do the work.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

$549.99

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/11/02/playstation-vr2-launches-in-february-at-549-99/

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Register to pre-order from PS Direct here:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-vr2/register-to-pre-order/

Pre-orders on Nov 15 2022, launches on Feb 22 2023.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm impressed that they only missed the console price by $50

Facebook's high-end standalone headset is $1500, lol

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I'm impressed that they only missed the console price by $50

It is 600€, thats 100€ above the disc Version PS5 prior to the recent price hike.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Would have loved to pick one up but that price is nonsense

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It costs $200 for one premium Sony controller, what were people expecting lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nuts and Gum posted:

It costs $200 for one premium Sony controller, what were people expecting lmao

The headset only costs 2.75 premium controllers, practically a steal

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fat gay nonce posted:

It's prolly still being sold at a loss, mate

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Harriet Carker posted:

I’m preordering day 1. The only reason I didn’t play with my original PSVR as much as I wanted was just how much of a pain it was to hook up. Looking forward to the single wire setup.

Yeah... I keep thinking of why I don't like playing my PSVR and it's definitely the pain of having to hook up cables every single time.

I want to get PSVR2 at some point. I have money to spend, and I don't see the point in waiting like 2-3 years to save $100, maybe. Might as well get it at launch

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Day one if I can manage it. For me it’s also a fun bonus that it can do a 1080p/120/HDR theater mode for non-VR games. Haven’t been able to spring for that level of TV upgrade yet.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's prolly still being sold at a loss, mate

Absolutely. An oled screen with higher res, FoV than the quest 2, plus foveated rendering and minimum 90hz refresh. Along with the controllers there’s no way they’re making money on hardware for a while.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!
Price doesn't bother me but the launch lineup does. I got an email link to preorder, but might pass since there is just nothing here that interests me yet.

Pretty surprised there is no Gran Turismo 7 announced yet, and it honestly makes me apprehensive that it might not be possible for whatever reason. Not expecting to see a Skyrim update either lol.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

noticed some game announcements

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/1...squad-and-more/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

fat gay nonce posted:

Given the quality of the hardware and its competition, it's not nonsense at all.