Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Come back home to the GT7 Discord Inef! We're still going strong - routinely get 12 or so drivers every week!

Legendary Tales continues to sink its teeth into me. Having a full length built from the ground up VR game is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Ineffiable posted:

I'm really surprised how Sony seems to have put even more work into PSVR2 hardware and somehow giving us less software support (remember that vr demo disc? Vr worlds?)

I still bought one like the sucker I am.

:same:

This should be the thread title. Playstation VR2: I still bought one like the sucker I am

I hope Metro VR comes out soon. Even though I have essentially three different platforms I could run it on, I might get it on PSVR2 just for cheevos and because true blacks seems appropriate.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 3, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funny thing is that I think up until now the output PSVR2 hasn’t been THAT bad. Really solid launch with some great titles and a fair amount of decent stuff trickling in over time, capped off by RE4 just recently. Which to me is basically the greatest thing I’ve played in VR, including Alyx.

But the future does not look bright. I’d be willing to bet RE4 was a done deal way before the release of PSVR 2. Almost No psvr1 first party titles have received psvr2 versions, titles that actually have released seem to have zero quality control, nothing exciting on the horizon. Even third party titles seem to be rolling in at a glacial pace.

Then to top it all off it just seems like Sony isn’t even promoting it anymore. Definitely feels like the Vita all over again.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I bought Rez for the 5th time and this time I controlled it with my goddamn eyes so overall I do not regret buying a PSVR2

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The only thing I’d possibly want for the VR2 now is a decent flight sim. Don’t need another racer, I have GT7. Don’t need another FPS, I have RE4. Don’t need another chillout vibes game, I have NMS. Other genres I prefer to be flat.

With a traditional console I would want a steady stream of games because I do play a lot and I’d get sick of the same stuff. But with VR I just don’t want to spend that much time in. It’s an awesome experience, but I have to both in the mood and free to be isolated that long. So like, even if Metro is great… I play seldom enough that I dunno if I’d buy it. Unless it’s better than RE4 (it won’t be), enough time will have passed since my last RE4 run that I’d rather just play that.

Anyway, all that is to say that yeah, VR2 was abandoned fast and has no future… but if I knew that when I bought it, I’d still make the same choice. It has the titles that fill my entertainment desires.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm really surprised how Sony seems to have put even more work into PSVR2 hardware and somehow giving us less software support (remember that vr demo disc? Vr worlds?)

I still bought one like the sucker I am.

You need some Legendary Tales in your life homie

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That game looks kind of repetitive? Like in every video it's just the same two enemies and a bunch of identical looking environments. Is there actually a variety of content in terms of locations and enemy types?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Forget a “decent flight sim,” give me ridiculous flight sims. Let me pilot a giant battle bot with laser swords and eye tracking target designation. Port the original x-wing and tie fighter. Resurrect Wing Commander. Give me Robotech.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Bugblatter posted:

The only thing I’d possibly want for the VR2 now is a decent flight sim. Don’t need another racer, I have GT7. Don’t need another FPS, I have RE4. Don’t need another chillout vibes game, I have NMS. Other genres I prefer to be flat.

Supposedly Aces of Thunder's development was "almost finished" as of 2 months ago. Forgot about that one. So there's that to look forward to.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cutedge posted:

Supposedly Aces of Thunder's development was "almost finished" as of 2 months ago. Forgot about that one. So there's that to look forward to.

Yessss! :sickos:

After playing the WWI and WII cutdown version of that on Quest, I am hella pumped for the full version to come out on PSVR2

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Bugblatter posted:

That game looks kind of repetitive? Like in every video it's just the same two enemies and a bunch of identical looking environments. Is there actually a variety of content in terms of locations and enemy types?

You'd be right to say there are only a few variety of enemies, but repetitive is not what I would call this game. This isn't a flat screen game where you just hit a button and mow through enemies. The game might be too hard if the variety of enemies is too great if you don't already have weapons training.

I have like 20ish hours in the game split between daggers and spears, and I tell you what, I struggle bussed learning how to parry with a two handed sword without looking like I'm flailing around like an idiot.

There's also challenge mode where enemies swing their weapons faster and some are left handed.

I'm nowhere near bored with this game and I find myself finding time for LT between FF7 Rebirth and GT7.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

How about variety of environments and exploration? I like challenge but need a bit more to stay engaged.

I’d like to be convinced that it’s worth the asking price. It just sounds a bit like pitches for stuff like The Light Brigade where the gradually increasing difficulty and new weapon unlocks are touted as justify a longer play time… but you’ve actually seen all the enemy types and environments in the first two hour run and, for me, everything just felt repetitive afterwards.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm playing the game as well. It's surprisingly fleshed out - the enemy varieties get a little more nuanced. New attacks, abilities, patterns, etc. The bosses also start rapidly escalating. It doesn't really feel repetitive - I agree with Mercedes.

It's certainly not open world, but there's more pathways than you think. It feels like an earlier Dark Souls or King's Tale game. It's also a good length game, I'm 14 hours into it and level 34 of 50. There's legendary weapons with unique abilities, fully fleshed out skill trees and builds that feel unique. I'm going full lightning mage and it plays completely differently than a melee character which plays completely differently from an archer.

I understand the concern, it's a 55 dollar game, but it's been a real surprise to me. I'm kind of sick of tech demo / PoC games in VR, but this is definitely not that.

Edit: Also using eye tracking to hit specific enemies with spells from a far distance is so freaking cool. It's as an awesome use of the tech and it works incredibly.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 6, 2024

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Those seem like contradicting comparisons. The early Souls games had a lot of variety in their zones and exploration has been one of the best parts of all of Miyazaki’s games.

King’s Field on the other hand had very repetitive environments and is exactly what I’m worried about. Shadow Tower: Abyss was the only one of the vintage From dungeon crawlers that really avoided tedium in its dungeon design.

The previews I’ve seen have shown the starting camp and then some caves and dungeons that are entirely indistinguishable from each other. If they’re just showing the first area and there’s more later, I’m interested. But if it’s just the same designs repeated… not really.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Bugblatter posted:

How about variety of environments and exploration? I like challenge but need a bit more to stay engaged.

I’d like to be convinced that it’s worth the asking price. It just sounds a bit like pitches for stuff like The Light Brigade where the gradually increasing difficulty and new weapon unlocks are touted as justify a longer play time… but you’ve actually seen all the enemy types and environments in the first two hour run and, for me, everything just felt repetitive afterwards.

Oh yeah, Light Brigade. It's not a roguelike. I also played Light Brigade and stopped after a handful of hours after only unlocking 3 more guns.

LT hits different. I was playing with kirios last night and the dungeon we did was so claustrophobic I had to choke my hands up the spear haft cause it was getting hard to fight with it in such a narrow area.

And speaking of enemy types, I thought I had them all pinned, when one skelly boy surprised me with a leaping spinning attack. I almost missed the parry cause I was surpised.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I mean it sounds like you're not interested which hey, nothing wrong with that. I'm having a wonderful time with it and repetitive would be one of the last words I'd use.

Maybe give it a shot when it's on sale?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, I don't really feel like my question got answered. Maybe I phrased it poorly.

Is there visual variety in the exploration? I've only seen the same stone dungeon and cave assets reused for every area in videos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.dlh.net/en/news/78213/jeff-minter-s-psychedelic-arcade-shooter-akka-arrh-releases-today-on-playstation-5-and-ps-vr2.html

:hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suvDJ75Ah98

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

This looks like it would cause seizures even for people without PSE. "Use in a well-lit area and keep as far away as possible from the television screen" my rear end, you're doing the exact opposite in VR.

But oh yeah, I don't hate the Virtual Boy vibes.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 11, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Minter did a PSVR 1 game, Polybius, and it was even more visually insane than this

Wasn't a CIA psyop like its namesake, at least (so far as we know)

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Finally beat a run of The Light Brigade with a level 9 Assault class. I've been off and on it for the past 6 months, but I often jump to the next class I unlock when I get bored of the current one. I wish it loaded faster and snappier and I don't like the pray to interact but it's a pretty solid roguelike and the guns feel great.

Cyube VR is apparently coming out this weekend and is looking decent, for $30 I'll probably snatch it up if it gets some positive first impressions.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cyube looks pretty dope and will apparently have mod support.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Fix posted:

I used to play it on PC, The lack of MP kind of killed my interest after awhile, but that is apparently on the list of things they still want to add eventually. But if that is not a problem it should still be good fun.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I don't really feel like my question got answered. Maybe I phrased it poorly.

Is there visual variety in the exploration? I've only seen the same stone dungeon and cave assets reused for every area in videos.
For the visual variety, ya got your dungeon, your caves and caverns, cathedral set piece, graveyard, moonlit courtyard, glow crystal caves and your sewer. Complete with poo poo from a butt all over the floors.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercedes posted:

Complete with poo poo from a butt all over the floors.

But enough about your Sim rig.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fix posted:

Just purchased it. Waiting for the download. My PSVR2 has largely been gathering dust for the past few months, hopefully this game is fun. I'll report back.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughmoris posted:

Just purchased it. Waiting for the download. My PSVR2 has largely been gathering dust for the past few months, hopefully this game is fun. I'll report back.

Cyube is gorgeous. I haven't played a ton of PSVR games but I think the visuals are right alongside Red Matter 2. The controls are intuitive and I think it'll be a fun game.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m actually considering getting laser surgery in May and am gonna circle back and try my headset again if I do.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Cyube is probably the prettiest thing I've seen in this headset? The render distance and lighting is amazing.

If you enjoy the Minecraft early game of exploring and base building I think you'll like this a lot. That seems like the meat of the game, as there's no combat/enemies currently (although on the roadmap).

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m actually considering getting laser surgery in May and am gonna circle back and try my headset again if I do.

I got LASIK a few years ago so have only done VR with corrected vision but it’s very nice! It’s the kind of thing I got the surgery to not have to worry about anymore.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Riven posted:

I got LASIK a few years ago so have only done VR with corrected vision but it’s very nice! It’s the kind of thing I got the surgery to not have to worry about anymore.

Yeah, it’s something I’ve been wanting for a long time and it feels like the right time to go for it. So assuming that when I go to the consult they don’t quote me some obscene cost (my eyes are garbage and I’ve seen most places say the cost scale is sliding based on how much they need to correct) I’m pulling the trigger on it. VR isn’t the reason, but man I think I would like vr a lot better afterwards regardless.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

My starting world is full of these. Not exactly the safest place to explore

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

StormDrain posted:

But enough about your Sim rig.

Lol. Gottem :itwaspoo:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RIP PSVR2, what an absolute boondoggle of a product.

They say it's temporary, but I think everyone can read between the lines.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 18, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

:sigh:

I'm pretty done with VR in general. I love VR, but it seems there just isn't enough consumer support to justify its existence and the platform is on its way out.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SCheeseman posted:

Not saying it's necessarily wrong, but that Bloomberg writer has had a few really bad analyses in the recent past.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

So, I don’t doubt at all that it has sold poorly and can believe this situation is real, but also note that the source is Takashi Mochizuki. The guy has basically had a career of claiming every Sony project was a sales disaster with loads of unsold stock. He even made similar claims about the PS4, of all things.

Edit: lol, beaten.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah that dude reported that PSVR2 had like really low sales in the first ten weeks, and Sony had to put out a news press that actually said they shipped three times the number the writer quoted.

So yes gently caress that dude.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess if Sony wants to make owners of PSVR2 feel more confident in its future, they could release some new AAA flagship titles for it. That seems to be what most owners want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's unlikely to see an upward trajectory of sales from this point. The games are drying up, not helped by game dev crashing & burning in general and the hardware technologically behind the curve in several ways that matter (HDR and eye tracking aside). The announcement of it supporting PCVR comes across as a desperate attempt to move units.

IMHO Sony should have made a standalone unit based on XR2 with pancake lenses, LCD displays with the ability to link wirelessly with the PS5, with a standalone library consisting mostly of Quest ports, perhaps with those games being cross-buy (between PSVR2 and PS5). After Quest it's hard to justify the existence of a mass-consumer tethered headset anymore.

e: The guy does seem pretty unreliable, but this might be a stopped clock situation considering all the other circumstances that are happening.