Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Aurum Vale will become your favorite dungeon to get in roulettes after you get the 'Splash' emote

*[Your Name] playfully splashes piss all over HEALER*
*[Your Name] playfully splashes piss all over TANK*
*[Your Name] playfully splashes piss all over DPS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

God Hole posted:

Aurum Vale will become your favorite dungeon to get in roulettes after you get the 'Splash' emote

*[Your Name] playfully splashes piss all over HEALER*
*[Your Name] playfully splashes piss all over TANK*
*[Your Name] playfully splashes piss all over DPS*

That's a cash shop emote now. Came from an event 6 years ago

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Cernunnos posted:

That's a cash shop emote now. Came from an event 6 years ago

oh I couldn't remember where I got it. money well spent IMO

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It's cheap at least

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Simsmagic posted:

I'm going through the SHB leveling dungeons for the first time, and I'm finding it difficult to keep up heals on the tank when they're doing big pulls. While they rarely die, I usually have to focus all of my attention and abilities on keeping the tank alive and can't really do any kind of DPS to help take down the many mobs they pull. Is there anything I should be doing to help keep the Tank in a better position? I'm a WHM and up til now I've been fine just keeping Regen up and using lilies as necessary but it almost feels like my lillies are falling off in potency and they barely do anything to restore health. I could be doing more to upgrade my iLevel but I was under the impression that it doesn't really matter until you hit max level content for that expansion anyways

If the tank is wallpulling and not dying while you are hitting the aoe buttons when you think you can get away with doing so then you're doing well enough. As a rule, leveling dungeons (X1-X9) are harder than cap dungeons (X0) due to how the sync scaling tends to work out.

Stuff to mention:
- Use your off-global abilities. If Tetragrammaton, Divine Benison, Benediction or Asylum are available then heal with those first. Assize too, kind of, but Assize is primarily a damage ability so 95% of the time you just want to press it on cooldown as long as the pull has been gathered.
- I want to especially stress not holding Benediction for emergencies or Asylum for strictly aoes. They're very large tank heals, use them rotationally as such.
- If you want to ~optimize~ then you ideally use Afflatus Rapture/Solace when moving between packs to charge the blood lily, even if doing so is pure overhealing. Using Rapture/Solace for a lily charge when you'd otherwise do nothing and having to cast a Cure 2/3 later is strictly better than actually doing nothing or just running and then casting Rapture/Solace later. This is minor.

Healing difficulty varies wildly. Some dungeons have mobs that hit much harder or allow much larger pulls (e.g. Mt. Gulg, Qitana Ravel), some tanks are very poor at using their defensives or have extra out-of-date gear. As long as you make a best effort to press Holy and Stone/Glare when you think you can do so then you're doing it right. Try not to sweat the small stuff.

Kazinsal posted:

Speaking of WHM tools, I'm ashamed to say it, but I've mained WHM since ARR and yet I've spent all of Endwalker not knowing what the hell I'm supposed to do with Liturgy of the Bell. It feels like one of those "pop it right before a raidwide and hope you can mitigate another couple raidwides with it" spells.

People tend to overvalue getting use out of the multihit aspect of Liturgy (and SGE's Panhaima). Unless you know for certain that there's a much better opportunity coming then just use them on whatever groupwide to put them on cooldown and get a big heal out when the effect expires. Using Liturgy twice on single hits is 2x 1200 potency, which is more than the 2000 potency you'd get for using it perfectly once.

In dungeons you might reasonably want to pretend that Liturgy is a very delayed tank heal. It's worse at that role than Panhaima, since Liturgy requires you personally get hit to do its mini-heals, but even if you never even get scratched it's still a 1000 potency oGCD. Stand in a couple of floor telegraphs if you want it to heal the tank a little bit harder.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 24, 2024

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Attack on Princess posted:

Is Aurum Vale supposed to be a difficulty spike?

My White Mage is level 62 and i126, wrapping up ARR. Blind "Leveling Roulette" runs have gone well, but Aurum Vale was rough. I never had that many wipes before. It destroyed my confidence. We were off to a rocky start from the first pull, where in hindsight I should have stuck to the tank to not lose line of sight. That put me on edge for the whole run.

I barely understand the fruit mechanic. Should I eat fruit when I recognize the debuff thing, or is it a stacking debuff that it's best to clear later? Does the fruit go to inventory or is it automatically eaten on interaction? I was too flustered to check.

And for trash, the tank got chipped hard through regen while mass pulling. I felt I had to Cure 2 before Holy, which spiraled into Cure 2 spam. I didn't dare swiftcast Holy because I wanted instant ress available.

Hopefully it was just first time anxiety, but cliff notes are welcome if you have them.

As a White Mage specifically, imo Aurum Vale is the hardest dungeon in the game to heal by a mile. It is just before you have access to any oGCD heals, with huge groups of mobs and with a lot of poison and damage over time on players with boss rooms that encourage standing too far apart for Medica 2 to hit.

The debuffs in the boss fight do stack and are better to clear later. First boss eat at 2 stacks of the debuffs, third boss at 3, and you'll be able to do that for the entire fight safely. On the last boss if someone hits 5 stacks they also explode. Interacting with the fruit instantly cleanses all stacks.

gay devil fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 24, 2024

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fun fact, interacting with the fruit cleanses all debuffs, although you're unlikely to collect any other debuffs now. I tried it one time after I got hit with a Bad Breath from the Morbol room just after and it cleansed the whole thing. Wasn't worth the effort, most of the debuffs drop off by the time you get to the fruit.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Parking yourself right next to a fruit spawn if you can is the best move for the AV fruit bosses, IMHO; I try to do it as tank, ideally near multiple fruits so I and any melee DPS right on the boss can fix an accidental Bad Breath. Those arenas are small enough that I think healers can hug a fruit and still have everyone in AoE heal range?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Fun fact, interacting with the fruit cleanses all debuffs, although you're unlikely to collect any other debuffs now. I tried it one time after I got hit with a Bad Breath from the Morbol room just after and it cleansed the whole thing. Wasn't worth the effort, most of the debuffs drop off by the time you get to the fruit.
The main use for this is the final boss if you're not paying attention / get caught at a bad time as a tank (eg. trying to move the boss so you're too far into the cone to get out in time), also tell your group about it because sometimes sprout DPS or healers get hit by bad breath due to bad positioning.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I finally got to 60 and unlocked gunbreaker, after playing nothing but dragoon all this time. I'm going through some early dungeons to get a feel for tanking, but it's a bit overwhelming being tossed into a whole new role with a complete set of skills to learn.

I understand the basics like dragging the boss to the center of the arena and pointing them away from the party, but is there a guide to how I should cycle my mitigations (which one is good for what application, when to stack them, etc.)? Or how to get a feel for how much I can pull vs. how much my healer can handle?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

404notfound posted:

I finally got to 60 and unlocked gunbreaker, after playing nothing but dragoon all this time. I'm going through some early dungeons to get a feel for tanking, but it's a bit overwhelming being tossed into a whole new role with a complete set of skills to learn.

I understand the basics like dragging the boss to the center of the arena and pointing them away from the party, but is there a guide to how I should cycle my mitigations (which one is good for what application, when to stack them, etc.)? Or how to get a feel for how much I can pull vs. how much my healer can handle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY6JU3au4XU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcvZ7NKm0jQ

Here's a pretty good video on the subject, and a followup explaining the details of your defensives.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

404notfound posted:

Actually sounds like you have most of it. I would disagree with always pulling a boss to the center, as I can think of one case where that is BAD to do*. So my simple list of Tank rules would be:

- turn bosses away from party (and pull to whatever the best location is)
- pick up adds (depending. in an 8-man, definitely pick them up if you are the off-tank. If you have good DPS, sometimes the adds go down faster than you can pick them up)
- when the pull is done - STOP MOVING. My two mains are WAR and SCH, so I know this from the Healer side as well. Once you have aggro'd everything, pick a spot and STOP. If there are ranged enemies - right on top of them is a good option. It's hard for other folks to get positionals, or even finish casting if you keep moving all over the place as a tank. The only dodge in the game is automatic, so you don't need to bounce around. Stack enemies up so everyone's AoEs hit, and swing for the fences.
- keep an eye on the enemy list, and if you lose aggro, be sure to retarget and pick up whatever you lost, since it's probably attacking the Healer now.

Only other real nuance to pulling that I have noticed is: I have seen Tanks who like - leave the current fight when the last enemy is almost down, taking off to start the next pull. To me this always make things feel really sloppy- and also a bit relentless- due to a lack of breaking point between fights, I guess? Plus, a big enough pull is a tough fight. Nothing wrong with waiting till everything is down and everyone gets a breath before starting the next. But eh - I don't feel strongly enough to be mad about it - just something I have noticed which differs from my own preferences as Tank or Healer.

As for the last question? Depends greatly on the healer. Just pull. If you die - that was too much. ;). The penalty for wiping is basically nothing. If I am running a super early dungeon that probably has sprout Healers, then I just say in chat something like: "I'm gonna pull big, if it's too much, lmk" and have only had one occasion where a Healer asked me to slow down when I was wall pulling.

* I think it's one of the now mandatory Crystal Tower runs? There's a boss that moves back to the center for an insta-kill raidwide, which you can only avoid by standing in safe spots on the edge of the arena. But since he goes back to the center before casting it, you have to pull him away from the center to give everyone time to get to the safe spots.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

404notfound posted:

The joonbob videos above are good, but for some specific answers to your questions:
-On trash pulls, you basically always want to have a mitigation cooldown going. As the pull winds down and only 1-3 enemies are left, you can go without a cooldown and get ready for the next pack.
-On bosses, you do not need mitigation to constantly be up. Use one or two cooldowns on tankbusters (red swirly marker on you, or if something being casted sounds threatening)
-Also on that note, you can separate enemy castbars from their HP bars in the HUD settings. I think you click Enemy Target Info or something like that, then the settings button which then lets you separate the bars. I do this and then set the castbar to 200% size so that I'm always aware of what's being casted.
-For getting a feel for how much to pull on trash, I go with the simplest reasoning: If we wipe, pull less.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WCamwRiqdQ
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/ffxvi/

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I learned there's sit-up and push-up emotes.

How can I pass that up? They would dramatically increase my ability to crush Golden Saucer Gates!

Just have to do some hunting missions to level up my grand company rank, get access to squadrons and do some of those.

That doesn't sound too hard!

What's that you say, do a dungeon to rank up? Okay...

:shepface:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 25, 2024

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Attack on Princess posted:

What's that you say, do a dungeon to rank up? Okay...
You can do the dungeon unsynced if you want to just complete the quest quickly. In the Duty Finder settings (gear button on the top part of the window), you can select Unrestricted Party and it won't sync you down to the level of whatever duty you choose. Then you can solo the dungeon at your actual level or grab a level 90 friend to smash through it, and complete the quest that way.

Also your fem Roe is good.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Oh that trick changes everything! Thanks!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

this is extremely powerful

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
What am I missing in this quest The Will Of The Moon in the cutscene hell between StB and ShB?

You have to fight the angry au’ra girl as yourself then you have to fight the Sunboy au’ra as Y’shtola.

At some point during the latter section Hien goes down and asks you to heal him, but I am unable to target him at that point and don’t have an AoE heal.

I tried just burning down Sunboy AFAP but I don’t do anywhere near enough damage.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if memory serves, you have to actually click on him to target him. idk how that works for controller players

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

If I remember correctly you get your camera to show Hien but not Magnai and you’ll be able to target him.

I think there’s also options in config to get other targeting settings, but I could never get those to work for me.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

you should treat targeting/healing NPCs in solo duties as a little mini-game with opaque rules that don't apply anywhere else in the game, because that's what it is

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

God, it'd be nice if they reworked duties where you're expected to heal friendly NPCs so those friendlies are in your party and easily targetable / get benefits of party heal AoEs

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

what's even the point of a video that just tells you what a website says, as they show you the website, when you can just see it yourself

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Advertising revenue

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

what's even the point of a video that just tells you what a website says, as they show you the website, when you can just see it yourself

that's a Meoni video for you

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
People just want that slop.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

HaB posted:

What am I missing in this quest The Will Of The Moon in the cutscene hell between StB and ShB?

You have to fight the angry au’ra girl as yourself then you have to fight the Sunboy au’ra as Y’shtola.

At some point during the latter section Hien goes down and asks you to heal him, but I am unable to target him at that point and don’t have an AoE heal.

I tried just burning down Sunboy AFAP but I don’t do anywhere near enough damage.

Quoting myself in case someone runs into the same issue:

Check your Targeting Filters

I had NPCs off in my Duty filter, since it's rare you need to target them, and some duties have a million of them I'd rather not have to cycle through.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When there's a specific NPC you need to protect, you can also focus target them, and then you can easily switch to the focus target. It's annoying that quests make you do this but that's how they are. It would be nice if solo duties put the friendly NPCs in a party with you like Trust dungeons do.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gunbreaker progress report: I've done a few duty supports and a few actual groups, and tanking is slowly getting better as I get comfortable with my skills and my controller setup. But with the number of dungeons in the game, what do you do when you don't remember the mechanics or how to handle specific boss attacks? Or if it's your first time through? I feel like the tank is always in the lead, and I feel kinda foolish if I start going the wrong way, or if I ignore things during a fight that I should pay attention to (or vice versa). I did Halatali today and I honestly couldn't remember if I was supposed to do anything when the fire sprites start flooding in, or if I was supposed to just leave it to DPS

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

as far as dungeon bosses go there really isn't much a tank does that's different from anyone else: point the boss away from the party and pull it out of lingering bad stuff on the ground so the melee dps can keep slappin those cheeks. occasionally you'll see a big unfamiliar castbar and you can flip a coin to decide whether to self or party mit but it doesn't really matter 98% of the time.

hell, most contemporary bosses will re-center and face themselves for their big special poo poo so you don't even have to worry about that these days

tank privilege will carry you through a lot of oopsies. if anyone has to be a bit nervous about unfamiliar fights it's the healer(s) because until pretty late in the leveling curve a dead healer is an (eventually) dead party. a dead tank is a momentary inconvenience

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 28, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

In terms of routing, dungeons get much more linear as you go along, and it's very hard to take wrong turns after ARR. You can also open the map in dungeons, which will often give you a pin or highlight to your goal, but in general you're going to be safe just going whichever direction you didn't come from.

Learning individual mechanics will come with time, and you'll learn the vocabulary of markers to make it easier to sight-read, but it's fine to screw up mechanics on your first few runs -- or just ask "hey, first time/second time/ haven't done this in a while, what do I need to know about the boss?" Generally it's a good idea to clean up adds as they spawn, so that's safe to do in most dungeons if something spawns in.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

404notfound posted:

Gunbreaker progress report: I've done a few duty supports and a few actual groups, and tanking is slowly getting better as I get comfortable with my skills and my controller setup. But with the number of dungeons in the game, what do you do when you don't remember the mechanics or how to handle specific boss attacks? Or if it's your first time through? I feel like the tank is always in the lead, and I feel kinda foolish if I start going the wrong way, or if I ignore things during a fight that I should pay attention to (or vice versa). I did Halatali today and I honestly couldn't remember if I was supposed to do anything when the fire sprites start flooding in, or if I was supposed to just leave it to DPS

Dungeon osses are designed to be able to be figured out as you go. Just don't point the boss at your party and you'll be fine.

If anything, being a tank actually gives you more leeway to fail because you are much harder to kill.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
you can usually tell if you're supposed to do something else instead of sit with the boss because the boss will stand still while poo poo happens

also positioning isn't super important even before bosses start moving to the center for big attacks, people will adjust, and as tank you can live through poo poo that'll kill all kinds of other people. just look and see if you have any melee in the party, if you do just keep the boss's back to the largest part of the arena so they can hit positionals, and stay still. if there are no melee the positioning almost doesn't matter at all

if you stick to leveling roulette you'll be pretty familiar with most bosses in my experience. with numbers, trials, and raid roulette much less so. just try to figure out what the boss is doing and if you guess wrong, oh well. as tank you'll probably live and keep going, and if you don't nbd, the other people probably know it about as well as you do

essentially this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsYWWyn-rQ

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

loving same.

Also, as the tank, when you're multi-pulling groups prior to bosses make sure that you stop to fight them in range of the healer. I've seen them stop around corners, breaking LOS or just running off while the healer is still rolling on the loot from the previous boss and getting oblitered before the healer can catch up.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Antivehicular posted:

you'll learn the vocabulary of markers to make it easier to sight-read
This is the important thing to drill into your head imo. There are so many fights in this game that you aren't expected to remember what each and every attack and mechanic+solution is but the game will reuse markers and other visuals that you've seen already so you can just see a marker and know what to do with it already.

Also mentioning this again:

iPodschun posted:

-Also on that note, you can separate enemy castbars from their HP bars in the HUD settings. I think you click Enemy Target Info or something like that, then the settings button which then lets you separate the bars. I do this and then set the castbar to 200% size so that I'm always aware of what's being casted.
Another habit to pick up is reading attack names, and having the separate castbar can help with that. If a boss has an attack called Leftward Thrust then you should get away from the boss' left side.

It's also okay to look at a text or video guide before queuing into something if you prefer going that way. I looked at text guides when I was still a sprout because I wanted the visuals to still be a surprise at least, then eventually I got comfortable with going into fights blind and figuring out things on the fly.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
If you just go “hi first time tanking here” or “don’t remember this dungeon” at the start of anything, usually like 99% of parties are super understanding and will give you any needed context/info. As someone who had some tankxiety in the past, it’s honestly not too bad and people are super chill!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
if you come in like "fresh to tanking" or "I don't remember this place at all" you'll get 45% "same" 30% "it's cool" 20% "lmao I'm high" and 5% genuine ire.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have literally never seen ire at "new here/can't remember this/please be afraid I'm sleepy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I definitely have memories of people complaining sometimes when the "A player is new to this duty" message appeared with the tomestone bonus. People called it the "noob bonus" or something. This was also a long time ago, maybe even pre-Heavensward, so I don't know if anyone like that still plays this game.