Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

God Hole posted:

man crafting is gonna be a complete nightmare for my inventory huh

Pretty much. They get more principled later but A Realm Reborn/the base game especially has a lot of different materials and intermediates. Have you unlocked retainers and the chocobo saddle bag? They act as banking space which helps immensely. You unlock retainers from a side quest around L20, after choosing a Grand Company in the main quest, and the bag from unlocking your chocobo as a combat pet in another GC sidequest at L30.

Since it's so interconnected it helps to batch the jobs, especially as you get into the expansions. Get all of them to 30, then all to 50, then 60, etc. Sell crafting materials once you no longer need them, buy materials that are cheap or annoying (commonly: gems, monster drops).

I didn't really find gathering without flying all that bad when I did ARR on my alt last year since the gathering areas are so small and contained. That said, I was alternating gathering with combat and crafting jobs and more focused on log completion and making myself HQ stuff than levels since I have a main with those. Mileage will vary, I imagine.

For crafting, one thing to be aware of is that a lot of crafting materials and intermediates for level 1-40 crafts in ARR are sold by various vendors. There are the guild vendors near each trainer, but also Tradeskill vendors in cities, Housing vendors in housing districts, and (reputation limited) Beast Tribe vendors. If the tooltip for a metal bar or piece of lumber lists a Sale Price then there's an NPC somewhere selling it directly. You don't have to make all your Bronze Ingots or Undyed Velveteen yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

parasyte posted:

I don't think there's an in-game way to do it, unfortunately. There is a mod you can install with TexTools or Penumbra on PC that will use grayscale maps: https://www.xivmodarchive.com/modid/57235#info

There was a change made in 6.2 to recolor the large filled circle area markers "to improve support for color blindness" but it's not a big change and you'd need to use SimpleTweaks to change those. The icons didn't change though. There is a list of all of them here https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary_of_Icons, at least.

Well at least that is an option. Thank you a ton. I did realize that the flag marker is at least better contrast and distinctive in shape. Problem there is I have to offset it from the quest destination so they don't overlap. That's something at the least.

Y'all remember that gold quest trail from Fable II? It was mocked relentlessly when the game came out. Nowadays we'd just call it an accessibility feature. I would love something like that, too.

Still, I'm having a good time so far regardless.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey thanks for all the Sage tips yesterday, played a goodly amount of Sage last night and did mostly fine--a few snags here and there but hey, that's what learning is for. Only wiped once and that was Aurum Vale with a sprout tank sooo

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Good stuff! As a sage-playerman, I learned some things. Im definitely a toxicon fisher where I get into a rhythm of shield, toxi, shield, toxi, rinse repeat.

I like to sing Opticon by Orgy and swap in toxicon when I’m in my rhythm.

Message from toxicon
Blast from the magic bomb
So helpless
Guess what? You're out of time [ x 2 ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2CSG2isH8M

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Best advice I can give there is, wait until you unlock flying in ARR at the end of 2.0 before diving deep into DoH/DoL jobs, just to make gathering a lot less of a pain. Until you hit max level on your crafters, there's almost no resources that are a huge effort to collect, so don't be afraid to vend excess materials, unless you expect to use them again very soon.

okay this ended up being the key to my success in leveling. I think I gotta get out of that old-school hoarding mindset, where I go into that final boss with an inventory full of 75 elixirs and tons of useless poo poo I never needed like 99 bat wings etc.. this doesn't seem to be that type of game

I've been making use of my chocobo saddlebag but unfortunately free trial players don't have access to retainers (or chat, the market board, or joining free companies). small tradeoffs. I'm not finding myself needing those things at the moment. I got invited onto the novice network though, which has been a nice resource. a dude made a racist (and kinda pedo?) joke in chat today and got booted immediately, which is always good to see

I take back what I said about thaumaturges. I'm up to level 50 now and I am really enjoying making things go boom and flying around wearing a pointy hat and also my chocobo is wearing a pointy hat. The story is metal as hell too, please give me more yawning abyss. much better than thief's. Who decided to make thief the cops? why are we not sneaking into enemy compounds and stealing arms shipments or something? Oboro has been a welcome change

I thought I was going to hate the Paladin questline when I met Jenlyns. I was like "great I get to spend however many levels taking lessons from this sycophant? this... dork??" and then he immediately betrays me lmao and also by the way he's been a useful idiot for the cartel this whole time. that storyline has really kept me on my toes.

I had the biggest grin on my face all throughout the Moogle King fight

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Scholar questline for Stormblood is pretty cute. I didn't expect it to have a sprig of body positivity in there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Even the post-Stormblood MSQ gets immediately bored with Ala Mhigo and ships you off to Othard at first opportunity.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Even the post-Stormblood MSQ gets immediately bored with Ala Mhigo and ships you off to Othard at first opportunity.

It was either that or MSQ where you put out the smoldering wreckage fires.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Funky Valentine posted:

There's an argument to be made that 14's MSQ writing is at its best when it's telling what's ultimately a very simple, very human story. See: the Ala Mhigo story being at its most compelling when it's about Lyse dealing with the weight of family legacy and whether or not she abandoned/betrayed her hometown nation by leaving for greener pastures, and at its least compelling when it's about her being a destined Chosen One resistance leader because her dad was the bestest revolutionary ever.

Edit: I still maintain that M'naago by rights should've ended up the leader instead, because people actually knew and trusted her, and that it would've made a more interesting story if she did, and Lyse had to come to terms with just not being the same kind of person as her father and sister, and that her own strengths and abilities to aid her homeland lie elsewhere.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 3, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

There's an argument to be made that 14's MSQ writing is at its best when it's telling what's ultimately a very simple, very human story. See: the Ala Mhigo story being at its most compelling when it's about Lyse dealing with the weight of family legacy and whether or not she abandoned/betrayed her hometown nation by leaving for greener pastures, and at its least compelling when it's about her being a destined Chosen One resistance leader because her dad was the bestest revolutionary ever.

Edit: I still maintain that M'naago by rights should've ended up the leader instead, because people actually knew and trusted her, and that it would've made a more interesting story if she did, and Lyse had to come to terms with just not being the same kind of person as her father and sister, and that her own strengths and abilities to aid her homeland lie elsewhere.
I feel like they should have just skipped over M'naago and Lyse in favor of Raubahn. Done the plot of The Legend Returns in the Stormblood MSQ rather than the patches.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Funky Valentine posted:

They had to fit two denouments into three patches and split it 1/2 instead of having one patch that was half of each. As a result Othard's actually feels sluggish to me, despite being good.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you're playing the free trial and are jonesing to buy in, or if you've recently come back but haven't picked up Endwalker, the game and expansions are currently 50% off for non-steam PC/Mac versions on the SE store.

NA: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/hub/ffxiv-online
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/hub/final-fantasy-xiv-online

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how Shadowbringers opens on a bunch of quests that explain how stuff like currencies and getting back to other zones works and all explanations are basically "look, shut up."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Funky Valentine posted:

I like how Shadowbringers opens on a bunch of quests that explain how stuff like currencies and getting back to other zones works and all explanations are basically "look, shut up."

It's so funny.

"We're entering an extended period of temporal synchronicity," "we measure money by weight of the metal, so one gil is equal to one gil", Feo Ul, the motherfucking tomestones

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

It's so funny.

"We're entering an extended period of temporal synchronicity," "we measure money by weight of the metal, so one gil is equal to one gil", Feo Ul, the motherfucking tomestones

They got to the tomestones in that cutscene and I just completely lost it as a realized that tomestones are just loving Allagan smartphones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Funky Valentine posted:

They got to the tomestones in that cutscene and I just completely lost it as a realized that tomestones are just loving Allagan smartphones.
Rowena just really, really wants to find one with the original Flappy Bird on it.

...Flappy 'Bo?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Shadowbringer Opening Orientation Spoiler: It's the pained look on the WoL's face at the sight of the things that really sells it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah, I hadn't gotten the joke before then, even having seen the emote.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yep, it had been long speculated they were basically consumer electronics/datastorage, but the confirmation was nice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
All these "poetics" they're getting labeled as are just sexting.

e: WoL rocks up to the counter at Rowena's and dumps 2000 cell phones out. Like not even bothering to remove the SD cards

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Think about it, they're iPhones, they come in a bunch of colors, they only have internal storage, and they're eventually landfill fodder.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Think about it, they're iPhones, they come in a bunch of colors, they only have internal storage, and they're eventually landfill fodder.

They're clearly better than iPhones, because they're still valueable to people thousands of years and several apocalypses later.

Presumably, anyway.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I know this is a stupid question considering I've played for like 1200 hours but how do people generally make house buying levels of gil in this game

I have the 3 gathering classes + culinarian at level 90 so it seems like I should probably be doing something with those but idk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I know this is a stupid question considering I've played for like 1200 hours but how do people generally make house buying levels of gil in this game

I have the 3 gathering classes + culinarian at level 90 so it seems like I should probably be doing something with those but idk

Mostly it is just steady low income, materia have highs and lows with spikes when new content comes out but the top tier are solid regardless. Then there's the jackpot drops. Eureka has some stuff from chests that sell for a ton, for example. A couple of Hakutaku eyes can set you up with small house money.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Help Im Alive posted:

I've made most of my money crafting on patch drops. On a raid patch week you can buy 10M worth of materials and turn them into 20M worth of equipment in an hour or two, although you will need to spend some time afterwards occasionally tabbing in to FF14 to babysit your undercuts.

If you don't want to do crafting you can set timers for new nodes on patch drops and run around gathering the 10M worth of materials for people like me to buy. That'll take more than a couple of hours, but will involve less babysitting the market board.

Beyond that, just sending out retainers is something like 5k-10k per venture, and endgame dungeon roulettes are around 30k-50k per run when including materia, spiritbond, etc. A week of regular play totals maybe half a million gil.

E: For context I am sitting on 100M gil or so. That's far from true market baron gilhoarder levels, I am not a moneymaking expert. There are goons with considerably more. All the disgustingly wealthy players I know make their money by crafting more than I do, as well as doing things I am too lazy to do like find profit niches in the housing items market, etc.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 11, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you stick with omnicrafting then you can trade time for significant cash gains, including just the leveling process from about 51+ up selling goods for fashion. This assumes you level by making stuff in the log instead of slamming through levies or whatever. A much longer and more long term process but hey I just wanted to do a little bit a day. Once you're set up you can just make a few items from a fashionable batch and list one at a time for 50k+ a pop, especially fabulous weapons. Somebody is always going to want a level 60-80 weapon appearance that compliments their glam.

Pvp a bit and you can get hundreds of ventures from wolf marks at the vendor. Level your retainers and send them out once a day for 7-9 allagan silvers a day per retainer.

Do your duties daily you get about 5 digits of gil per.

It's not exciting but after 6 months I had an Omni 90 and I'd made 30m+ gil or so, paid for everything I bought to level and then some. You could also go head empty with a podcast on and harvest stuff directly to sell.

If you do content then sell the new cute dog drops when each patch hits. I also sold a huge backlog of materia after 6.2 hit and made millions from stuff I compulsively tore out of my gear while leveling regularly.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

A full 100 levequests can get you half a million gil or more, every 33.33 days, it's a bit of a grindfest, but it's reliable low-thought income. If you're looking for a few million gil in short order, getting a map group together is your best bet. Other side content is good money when it's current; selling extra Bozja fragments while I was grinding out relic weapons got me a few million just by themselves.

You can also make a decent amount buying rare mats (like map materials) and crafting stuff themselves, but this requires market research, a lot of monitoring prices and relisting, and it might still take some time. That said, Replica Sky Pirate stuff has been very good to me, just keep an eye on the market, every once in a while someone will dump the Skysteel materials in bulk, which can translate to a lot of money. Trial materials can be good too, but don't bother with crafting weapons, those will take too long to sell.

One way or another, farming up enough for a Medium plot or bigger will almost certainly require selling stuff on the MB. Make sure you check all relevant prices before you sink money into materials! Especially check the Sale History for anything you want to sell, some items will have a very high price, but nobody's actually buying. Hard-to-catch fish are the biggest offenders here. Don't try to make money selling or flipping ultra rare fish.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

on the more passive income end of things daily roulettes/in-need bonuses can really add up over time. i also keep my retainers on quick ventures which occasionally bring back rare dyes and glams that go for hundreds of thousands of gil a pop. junk gear gets turned into gc seals which are in turn converted into more ventures, repair mats, and lootboxes which can (very rarely) also drop a small fortune in your lap in the form of rare minions and mounts

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've also made like 20m gil this savage tier selling off coffer rights

lancerboy
Mar 1, 2007
Quality Demon Busting at a Fair Price
I made several million gil when they added the additional housing in patch 6.3, just by crafting and selling furniture to all the people who had just acquired houses.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

In the last patch with all the housing you could buy poo poo from housing vendors and sell it for a few thousand gil mark up...

I just sold a normal quality indigator's chest piece that was sitting on a retainer for a few months, never dropped the price from when I first put it up...

Oh also materia selling. Spirit bond and sell yo poo poo!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Other than recognizing and taking advantage of short time opportunities that come up, it's best to just come to grips with gil not coming in big chunks reliably. Most of my gil from crafting is just running macros for scrips or leves while watching something on the tv or another monitor. It's not Big Money but it adds up over time. I usually go Alchemist for this but I'm pretty sure Culinarian has some popular recipes. Check your collectables tab and the leves npc (check lower than max leves as well - i think coffee biscuits are still pretty decent) and find something that's easy to gather in bulk or something your retainers can get you easily. Than just grind away when you have down time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I feel like the big thing with moneymaking is just consistently selling stuff, doing roulettes, running maps and leves -- slow gains that build up over time. A lot of my cash has come from gathering excess mats when I want to craft something for myself, then making them into intermediate mats and selling those, which is never a huge income boost but is consistent and generally sells quickly. List any materia you don't need where the MB price is above their autosell; otherwise, autosell them. Just take little steps.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Does anyone have a rundown of Bozja? I finally unlocked it and have a few dps classes at level 71, but after doing the first few beginner quests in the zone, I'm kind of lost. Not sure how I'm supposed to grind levels out in this place

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 14, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The biggest money-maker is not spending any. I've made 20 million gil since I kicked my addiction to dyeing things jet black

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

For most purposes, dark purple dye will do the same job as jet black, and it's much cheaper. See also ink blue, for an even more budget-conscious broody edgelord look.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Gunmetal black took a chunk of my expensive black dye needs. Easy to get with Fete or Island currency and gives a nice black leather look to gear.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I normally stick to Charcoal Grey, myself. It doesn't need to be like... Pure Absolute Black to be black enough for my purposes, just... you know, black or really dark grey, etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You definitely want to preview dyes before shelling out for the expensive stuff if you change often enough that your wallet cares. Another factor alongside the ones mentioned is that a lot of metal gear will give a metallic sheen to the normal dyes without needing to buy the general-purpose ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

I normally stick to Charcoal Grey, myself. It doesn't need to be like... Pure Absolute Black to be black enough for my purposes, just... you know, black or really dark grey, etc.

Where I run into problems is matching pieces to things that are either undyable or that I want to keep as-is. That's when exactly the right shade of black or gray can stand out.