Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

A thread reborn!

Always look at normal quests from their questgiver NPC. As you are climbing the MSQ, new areas will have gear for that level range through a combination of MSQ rewards and normal quests in new areas. HQ gear rewards also sell pretty well on the market board. A few have emotes as rewards.

If the normal quest has an image banner in it (postmoogle for one) then it is the first in questline. These tend to have cute stories and build on the world. The reward is the side quest and I recommend most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sassassin posted:

I basically disagree with all this unless you're trying to burn through the game to level cap as fast as possible (I did this and don't recommend it). Sidequests are story and lore. There's loads of fun content in the game that will be missed if you're focused on MSQ progress. Leves are mildly useful as a new/free trial player for gear and materials - they're quick (timed "kill as many as you can" one excepted) and offer a bit of variety.

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

The most immersive experience, from a normal JRPG perspective, is clearing out every single quest when you enter a new area. It is most in-charater for your adventurer protagonist.
I've heard a couple people here playing it like that and more power to them.

The ring is really nice but otherwise agreed on Hall of Novice.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Who gets the comm, from highest to lowest priority:

Ranged DPS who used LB on trash pulls
funny glam
DPS who revived someone
clutch Limit Break
healer who used Rescue
good healer
good tank
funny name
dps who stood out in any way
cool or pretty glam
dragoon (giraffe icon, fewest controller inputs to comm)
bad healer / tank
remaining dps who stayed long enough for my comm

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

PRO TIP: White Mages get HOLY at level 45, which is an AoE attack that STUNS all enemies. If you have a WHM healer, maybe DON'T pop mitigation right away, because if your healer spams holy then enemies will barely get any attacks off until a good ways into the fight when they eventually become immune to stun.

My WHM tip - feel free to use swiftcast -> Holy on big trash pulls. You might intuitively want to save it in case the tank drops, but that's less likely to happen if you get right on the AoE stuns.

WHM puts out some pretty good damage too. The more+sooner you help kill stuff, the less damage you will need to heal.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You can also save yourself the minutes and menus and just not interface with those systems at all. But it's free stats so might as well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Aurum Vale is where you learn dancer's standard step has a deceptively large range.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I wish that every time an NPC was like, "remember me? You brought me a beer two expansions ago" our character would wince and we'd get a single-screenshot flashback.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My power fantasy is being able to remember names and faces of people I work with.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That said, orchestrion rolls don't require quality, and are thus much easier to make since you can just hammer the progress bar.

Ohhhhh.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

That you orcane, I never got the inconsistent symbol in the corner of glammed inventory items.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I was lucky enough that someone said 'dont kill the eggs' my first run and I pass it on.

You have to trigger it for a Blu spell which is pretty fun.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

quiggy posted:

I just unlocked Eureka. What... what is this, what am I supposed to be doing, and is it worth doing in TYOOL 2022.

Turn back. Don't get into it unless its story or some specific item goal really pulls you in.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Using magic ranged dps limit break on a big trash pull is immensely satisfying and gets a comm almost every time.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Christ I forgot how horrible the install and log in experience is. I googled FFXIV download and it took 75 minutes to download and install. Then, I get an error message which crashes when I hit Play. The error message is in Japanese. I google "FFXIV japanese error message" and find some instructions that might fix it. I do the fix, and now the launcher says I am not allowed to use a Standard subscription account with the free trial version. So, I google "FFXIV launcher" and find the one not for free trial. I click install, and it says "Are you sure you want to Uninstall FFXIV?" so now I have to spend another 2 hours downloading the exact same game because reasons.

You might have better luck with the third party launcher XIV Launcher.

https://laillearda.com/xivlauncher

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If I'm tanking in a Trial or Raid, hit half health, and don't have access to Living Dead or whatever 'oh poo poo' button, is it ok to shirk to the other tank?
Do they then become the main tank for the run until they shirk back?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

GilliamYaeger posted:

They removed "how very glib" with 6.3, so now it will always be less than perfection :negative:

It's also hosed up since the VA passed away last year.

https://youtu.be/I2jhiE3c2hE

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Alliance raids are too long imo.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

parasyte posted:

I macro Mount Roulette, Sprint, and Peloton at once and stick it on R3.

:aaa:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Running into the orange and dropping at 70 makes me think the player was either drunk or trying a new healer class they didn't get for the first time.

I just assume most players running normal content are drunk and stoned.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

On Omega there are like 12 identical Lalas under the map at Limsa or Gridania following each other across the void one ilm at a time.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Do they have keysmash names? Because those are RMT bots.

I can only see them with the idle camera, so I'm not sure I can target them to see.

They're clearly bots based on the movement, but they're not doing anything other than inching along. Maybe they eventually shout RMT spam, but I don't see that and them at the same time. And they wouldn't need to be under the map, numerous, and dressed identically for that.

Reddit thinks they're farming gil. I don't see how that is making them gil. Maybe they're at the end of a farming loop and waiting for the seller to collect?

It's silly and seems so easy to get banned over. But they've been at it for like a year. And it's always Lalas.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

Is Omega preferred rn? We had a bunch of these in Dynamis one day and they were probably farming the free 1 mil gil new characters get if they get to level 30 when made on a preferred or new world.

I don't know if it's preferred. Wouldn't they be out in the world doing the MSQ then? Why gather under the hottest spots in game instead of like Coerthas?

Apparently teleportation or location hacking.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Watch that then practice on your Chocobo and some mobs of the same level.

I'm in the same position as you, just about to cap my WHM main. I tried Sage and it's kind of a lot to take in at once. I watched that video, practiced and then ran one dungeon. No one died, but the mentor had so many helpful tips for me that I got overwhelmed. Put the class down and resolved to rewatch the video, which hasn't happened yet. The biggest adjustment personally is nothing like Benediction.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Novice Network was great for asking stupid little questions I could have easily googled.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Teasers, trailers, and the game's own openings are huge spoilers.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dareon posted:

Still mad the game itself spoiled me with a random Triple Triad open tournament.

Hydaelyn, as a humanoid figure, with a Primal tag. literally three expansions later I hit Qitana Ravel and they finally actually tell me.

The spoiler itself doesn't bother me, just that I could hit it doing something so innocuous.

Triple Triad is pretty heavy with the light spoilers. There are some with characters wearing outfits from future expansions, so a lot of of "Scion Friend (Shadowbringers)". The story often has characters fake-dieing, so when you see that you know death won't stick until at least that expansion.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Off-tank is the chilliest, safest role in the party. I'm always happy to let the other guy be the hero.

I like to put The Blackest Night shield on the main tank, healer when they get low, people who get a stack marker, or that DPS who keeps almost dieing. If I put it on myself asap it doesn't always get used up.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sometimes I'll see like a stream or waterfall, wonder what I'll catch, and just do a few casts. For no real reason other than to see the icons, names, and descriptions. It's just a cool chill tiny distraction from whatever I'm on the way to. Bait and lures are maybe 1/4 of my Chocobo saddlebag.

No real interest in the deeper mechanics, fishing dungeon, fishing cruise. I did try a few runs of Ocean Fishing and it was cool, just not my thing. It feels like I tried it three times and went from 50 to 90. It's really good fishing XP. Like other parts of the game you can engage with fishing just a tiny bit or get real into it, whichever is most fun for you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Flytitle posted:

Also Frontline should be noted for being a free level under 50 for the roulette daily and that you can swap when you're inside so you can play a class you want to play. I definitely used this fact when I was trying to bring everything into level parity.

This is really good daily XP and increases your PvP series rank, which gets you an emote not too far in.

YMMV though on if Frontlines is any fun.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I didn't realize there were crafter job stones until level 90.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tank looks like a lot of risk, responsibility, and careful work if you've never played it.

All you do is press your buttons near baddies, receive heals, and you're invincible most of the time. Hard to see that until you drive a couple dungeons yourself, then it's pretty obvious.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bruceski posted:

One or two GCDs is fine, whatever you personally feel comfortable with

It's this. Go for three if you want. It's hard to gently caress it up. Don't think about optimally pulling your first several runs.

There is a lot of discussion to be had about optimally pulling, but as a New Player Tankxiety Survivor, get into it later if you like the feeling of driving the dungeon.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 3, 2023