Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It helps that the first three dungeons all drop the same stuff, I did get most of the mage set just from MSQ. And if you go in with a party of NPCs, you don't need to share.

Maybe I just don't have anything in that level range, but auto-equip kept putting on the Brand New Ring while I was starting AST.

Intentionally trying to collect dungeon sets at an appropriate level is terrible, though I did get lucky and get either the entire Aurum mage set first time through or I was, like, missing the gloves and got those when I got it again on roulette an hour later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You might not want the pounder to be a giant building, but maybe that's just an artifact of the technology level, usually it's some industrial equipment on wheels.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Picayune posted:

Man, the Alchemist role quests are a lot more interesting than I was expecting. I thought it was going to be something like 'make liniment for granny's sore knee', not 'FANTASY CRIME LAB MURDER SPECTACULAR 24-7'.

I'd been wondering how they'd escalate from "elixir of life" into HW, and Fantasy CSI has not disappointed so far.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Like Clockwork posted:

IIRC, these days it's not too bad to solo most of Coils unsynced with most classes, but I do think getting kicked in the face repeatedly synced with a good party is good for building character as long as you skip Twintania (who is just hard in a frustrating/tedious way rather than a tense one). Plus, if you extract any joy from it at all you will probably enjoy Extreme and/or Savage raiding.

...I should probably go unsync Coils, I'm in late StB now, I can probably tank it solo assuming I can race Nael's mechanics.

I actually did somewhat enjoy the learning process of beating Twintania. Just figuring out "This is a stack marker with a unique graphic, this is a ground-target AoE despite locking onto a character, when he starts charging this MOVE YOUR rear end" was fun, more brainwork than I usually get out of the game. It was rather frustrating to wipe repeatedly, but we were clearly making progress and developing strategies.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One of them apparently auto-skips and drops you into combat, but I didn't have any issues when I went through it.

e: That means I didn't notice anything otherwise wrong, I think it did auto-advance.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Alxprit posted:

I should absolutely add a section on glamours. Let me see if I can sum it up quickly.

Using a glamour prism on an item makes it "equip" over the item of your choice. This is locked into place until you use a glamour dispeller. It makes it somewhat inconvenient to use, but the alternative system that most use instead is via the glamour dresser, located in any city with an inn mostly. In here, you can spend a glamour prism to put an item into the dresser. Then, by hitting the modify glamour plates option, you can create, essentially, an on-demand outfit that can be equipped over anything you have on at the time. You can tie glamour plates to gear sets so that every time you re-equip that set it puts the outfit back on, even if you've updated your gear.

Some glamour restrictions include:
You can't put on anything you aren't high enough level to equip if it were normal. (EG: I have a level 86 hood on my glamour that I can't use unless I'm 86 or higher.)
You can't put on anything that's exclusive to a class you currently aren't. (EG: the fancy Blue Mage outfits can't be worn by classes other than Blue Mage.)

You also can't glamour an item as a higher-level item, even if you could wear the higher-level item itself. For instance, I farmed Dzemael Darkhold for the Pince-Nez, a level 44 pair of rose-colored glasses. The otherwise best armor I had for that slot was 41, so when I put the glasses in the dresser, I found I couldn't glam them over the other hat. Wound up taking the glasses out and wearing them, but because they were already part of the glamour plate, I wound up wearing them glammed as themselves. It was a tiny bit weird.

You can take slight advantage of the equipment restrictions, because if you equip something that's glammed for something you can't equip, it'll show the base item.

This outfit is wearing Weaver chest, Alchemist head, Culinarian gloves, and... Leatherworker pants, I think, none of the crafters have real stand-out unique pants. When I'm a Weaver, I'm wearing the nice tailcoat and whatever half-gloves or straps go on hands in a generic crafter set. When I'm a Culinarian, I've got my oven mitts on and a decent but unimpressive workshirt. Although I do wish they'd relax restrictions further, I want to sew with oven mitts on.
And of course I have a second set for the other four jobs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I did a duty support today for the first time and cried when they npcs dodged the mechanics.

They need to do a pass on squadrons, then, because there was no AoE left uneaten in the Stone Vigil. :argh: At least they seem to take reduced damage, it only took a single Helios to get everybody back to full.

SettingSun posted:

If you want a dungeon done fast, don’t use trusts/duty support. They don’t aoe because they don’t really need to. Their damage is mostly simulation.
In that same Stone Vigil, I noticed the Arcanist's carby backflipping constantly, and someone kept laying down what started out looking like Flare, but left a puddle.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait are there multiple /sits?

You can /cpose to change it!

I sort of wish everyone had the same, but mostly because I want my Roe to do the Lala "storytime sway" animation.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think yoshiP did also say doing a fresh mmo is also something he wanted to do which makes sense as i imagine theyve learned a ton over the last 10 years. i would suggest he may want to do a different setting after being entrenched in final fantasy but its not like square has a bunch of ip with the same global appeal

The Bouncer Online.

...Heck, Parasite Eve would make a pretty cool MMO setting. Definitely not the widespread appeal, but very appealing to at least one aging nerd.

Super No Vacancy posted:

after the 6th expansion they will just have an ai do machine learning to keep churning them out. hell they have all the raw audio of the voice actors they need to automate that too

Smithers' computer booting up, except it's G'raha on screen.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quiggy posted:

WHM is... weirdly fun? Am I... am I a healer?

Whenever I want to zone out and relax, I swap to healer and put on MSQ roulette. It's absolutely the weirdest thing.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm going through Alexander, and while it hasn't seen a major uptick in comms for me because I'm the last person out of the instance, no one else seems to want the bittybobs and whirlycogs. Which is fine, no one needs the gear for numbers and the Gordian glams are actually kinda dire. There are a few Midan pieces I want, though maybe I should wait for the dyeables from... Savage? Ultimate?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Eorzean bowing is a courtly European bow, which has a generally fixed depth instead of the Asian bow that adjusts bow depth for amount of respect (Which is not represented in XIV's canned animations, unless they actually do have certain Eastern NPCs bow deeper or shallower).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I was just wondering because if they go 2-4 more expansions how do you keep adding buttons and mechanics and Uber skills

How does ever quest do it ? They are on like expansion 30

Sometimes you get new buttons, but usually if you look at your Traits in Actions&Traits, you'll see a lot of them are "This skill now does more damage" or "turns this skill into this skill II" with an occasional foray into "This skill gets more charges"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been stuffing every materia I get into a retainer, and tried combining them with Mutamix a few times, but unless there's a faster way to get better ones out of crap, it looks like I should just sell everything below IV or V. Well, put certain IIIs on the MB, crafter quests need those.

Relyssa posted:

This is from a while ago but I cannot for the life of me remember what this is referring to.

I'm thinking Lahabrea? *checks* Yeah, Escape from Castrum Centri.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Omg these post 2.0 quests sure are something aren’t they. Does this get better soon ?

I recommend taking breaks, 2.x can be very draining and I don't recommend trying to force yourself through it on the premise of "it gets better" (It totally does, though). There's a very special questline available to you now that starts from Wymond in Ul'dah. Otherwise, poke at whatever crafting, gathering, or alternate class strikes your fancy. If you've bought the expansions, Samurai and Red Mage are available, and even on the free trial, you can start Blue Mage if you'd like.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I did my first 24 person alliance raid last night . After years of wow it was the perfect little raid experience

Raid finder but not toxic somehow

I've run the various stages of Crystal Tower a few dozen times by now and have had literally one toxic instance, where someone took issue with pulling Bone Dragon (literally said "you can heal through it if the healers are awake") which lead to Alliance B intentionally not standing on the pad for Atomos ("you can ignore the mechanics if your DPS are awake") and intentionally wiping (once) to Ancient Flare ("it's not like everybody has to stand on it"). I was more annoyed that none of the Crimson set dropped on that run.

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Everyone should try to sell their own favourite jobs, because every job has a reason to be awesome in this game.

Red Mage is Black Mage with ADHD. That may not sound like a selling point, but it is. Where BLM is about spamming fire, then casting maybe two ice spells and a lightning before switching back to fire, RDM is constantly swapping between lightning, wind, and non-elemental with occasional dips into fire and earth, then by their powers combined becomes Captain Stabby, then can decide they're bored and want to heal for a bit. Their mobility is hard to beat, they can be halfway across the arena on an oGCD and do it multiple times if need be, plus they have a one-button ranged nuke on a 25-second cooldown.

Plus you get to look dapper as gently caress, it's canon.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm glad that RMT bots can be reported real easy, but the one time I needed to report something else I needed to dig for the option. Which is probably good, you can't just be troll-swatted by someone who disagrees with how much DPS you're outputting.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Feldegast42 posted:

Note that for the ARR relic grind -- I would actually recommend grinding the first couple steps of it (up to Zeta, I think?) because they are relatively fast to do, unlock a couple extra trials, and you get a neat weapon glam out of it. But stop after the game asks you to start grinding fates, because that's when the shite hits the fan.

Basically what ^^^ they said.

That was the first quest (Besides fates you need to talk to dudes to start) I ever said"no" to in dialogue and the guy just went "Oh, give it a shot anyway, you might like it." :argh:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

girl dick energy posted:

I am in the very strange position of being within spitting distance of qualifying for crafting mentor status... despite not even starting Shadowbringers yet.

Every so often someone notes in Newbie Network that it's easier ot get crafting mentor than it is to lose sprout.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

:same:

I finished 4.0 Stormblood a couple weeks ago and paused on MSQ and dungeons for a bit while I work on getting all DoL/DoH from 60-70. Highest combat job is RDM at 73.

And then there's my FSH, which is 88, because I can't stop roleplaying Your Reel Dad™️ on ocean voyages. It will without a doubt be my first job at 90.

Someone help, my miner and botanist are at 70+ because I can't stop doing the Diadem. I haven't even reached Stormblood yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shinjobi posted:

Starting to doubt the lethality of my fists, here.

If they don't dissipate into a cloud of darkness or sparkles, they ain't dead.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is there a way to get a glamour dresser in your house? I can see that I can have every other feature of an inn room except an interactable bed (And even then, I can /doze on one before logging off to pretend, but I don't get the entire-rear end flop my roe does in the inn) and maybe the Aesthetician bell.

I suppose it might be a coding issue, the instancing of housing is not the same solo instancing of the inn room, and might do weird things if you were trying to set up a glam while someone else was in the room. Or if two people tried to use the dresser at the same time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

2.x is dragging friends . I’m up to keeper of the lake and the last two CT sections

I guess I’m near the end

Yup, you're pretty close. Enjoy your new snarky dragon friend.

e:

orcane posted:

But the inn rooms, which are reportedly shared by everyone except the game isn't loading other players, those work somehow? I don't know, it's just super wonky and badly implemented overall.
I've occasionally wondered what areas would look like if all the quest-based "NPC appears here" flags were turned on. Fitting 50 PCs in an inn room is now part of that.

A dozen F'lhaminns behind the bar, an absolute swarm of Tatarus... No, wait, the group noun for lalafells is a "business"

Dareon fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 19, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Agreeing in the aggregate that ARR was rough, HW was the beginning of a serious uptick in quality, but the basic ideas didn't change a whole hell of a lot.

The main thing HW does is start giving characters character. A lot of the actions ARR NPCs take, Scions included, seems to be because "the story demands these actions be taken." Several Cutscenes Playing In Sequence is almost the first place you start to see that characters have their own motivations and goals that can conflict and mesh in interesting ways beyond "I'm doing evil, rar!" "Oh poo poo, we better stop him doing evil because we're The Ones Who Stop Evil." These motivations may be present and informing actions before that, but for the most part we're not encouraged to care about them or we learn about them either directly before or directly after the character stops being relevant forever.

In Heavensward, we start learning more about the personality and motivations of the people around us, both good and bad. Some of this is through cutscenes the WoL isn't present for, and some of it is through incidental dialogue as the Scooby Gang of the moment is hanging around waiting for you to talk to the one with the arrow over their head. But we get to watch Estinien and Ysayle clash and eventually gain respect for each other, Thordan's villainous plan make sense from his viewpoint, and Thancred punching Emmanelain for reasons beyond the second one being a terrible snotty failson. And then Urianger does a thing, and it makes complete sense and is awesome for it. People grow, and change, and we are urged to care about these changes.

But it is all delivered through often very wordy dialogue that you have to pay attention to. The amount of dialogue doesn't change appreciably, but the content becomes richer. I enjoy it all, and I'll poke everyone in the vicinity and maybe go back to someone they mentioned to see if they have something new to say on these events.

e: Regarding caring about people changing, I am looking forward to (post-HW, StB spoilers) working with Nero tol Scaeva on unearthing Omega, regardless of exactly how similar to Loki he is being right now, and I got spoiled that Gaius van Baelsar shows up as a friendly later, and am looking forward to that as well.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 20, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's a moment in Heavensward where a moogle asks if you remember them. This moogle has no defining features whatsoever. Fortunately the other names you're given as options are all moogles that do have defining features, so it's a process of elimination.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CodfishCartographer posted:

The only exceptions are times when you run into a "parry member gets put into jail and other people need to save them" which is usually a death sentence.

Just in general when soloing, how are you supposed to deal with that? Just be so overpowered that you one-shot the boss before they can hit that phase?

I'm at high 60s on my SCH/SMN, figured "I can just unsync the few ARR dungeons I haven't done. Let's try Lost City." Spent the next fifteen minutes getting eaten by the first boss. I didn't want to give up after the first attempt, maybe it could be avoided. All Signs Point To No.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bewilderment posted:

The only information anyone in the newbie thread needs to know about melding is "As a newbie, you do not need to care about melding".

Any materia you can get as quest rewards, either take to an NPC to just slot it immediately; slot it yourself if you've levelled a crafter; or just immediately toss it into the market board. Keep it out of your inventory.

*looks at retainer with an entire page full of materia* This is gonna take a bit.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You see if they just stuck with the multiple-job-stones-per-class idea they'd begun with we wouldn't be having this conversation, people that don't like bard could be hunter and still be shooting mad arrows. And since the XP would be shared like with SCH/SMN, if they decided they wanted to start singing it would be ready to go any time.

That's only half serious criticism, yoshi-p has said that system was actually terrible and I believe him. I do wish we could get Corsair leading into Machinist, though. There's guns on the Marauder HQ flags for a reason! :ocelot::yarr:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GilliamYaeger posted:

Re: relics. You don't get them for the stats, you get them because they look cool as gently caress. Sure there's "higher tier" Relics than the Zodiac weapons, but frankly they're some of the best looking weapons in the entire game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV83gom4XY

I will forever maintain that Excalibur and Holy Shield Zeta are the best PLD weapons, as are Sasuke's Blades Zeta for NIN.

The grind is a hellish nightmare though especially if you're only level 50 so you're probably better off going for an Anima weapon anyway.

Re: Materia. It only matters at max level. Anything below that you're not gonna keep long enough for the investment to matter.

Re: Retainer vocations. One gatherer, one combat class. Which ones don't matter as long as you have one of each.

Seeing them all next to each other, I am now even more annoyed by my Omnilex. "Your weapon is on fire" doesn't loving work when it's a book you're holding next to your head.

And the lovely thing is the ultimate steps actually look really drat good for SMN/SCH. If I didn't already have cool glams (Elkhorn/Elklord Grimoire is basically perfect SCH glam, it's a short little book with an elk on it, like I'm reading a bedtime story to the tank) and better things to do I would be a little tempted.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yoshi-p has committed a great crime against me personally.

I cannot obtain this hat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Stormblood:

Ouch.

Ouch. (I feel like with the sound effects and dramatic angles, that was a reference in Japanese to some sort of comedy show, but the translators made it work here, too)

I... You know what, sure, fine. I will play cards with the otter just as soon as I finish his sidequests. (Fake e: His ruleset is Reverse, Plus, Swap)

I was not expecting uniting the Japanese Imperial Treasures That Appear In Every JRPG to summon a primal.

This is no time for flimsy justification of game mechanics, Lyse!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

sassassin posted:

Squadrons are cool and strong and my beefy, deadly friends.

Giving me us the ability to glamour them was a mistake.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Meanwhile, I am fully into the HW relic grind.

Currently grinding sand for this one, dungeons for NIN, and FATEs for WHM. I might drop the WHM one if I come to my senses tomorrow, I don't even enjoy WHM and I already have a great WHM glam I don't need the Seraph Cane for:

Also I just unlocked PLD and updated my glam from Full Subligar Mode.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Plus, Y'shtola, ostensibly supposed to be helping you on this and having already complained of the urgency, merely stands there staring at the dude the entire time.

That's one of the best ways things get better later, your Scooby Gang starts going "We'll go find this thing, these two will go search that area, which leaves this part for you, buddy."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I disliked the corrupted crystals runaround enough that when I got the dipshit again in the postmoogle quests all the humor of "ha, an absent-minded professor, isn't this wacky, he'd forget his own socks next" just fell flat.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Crafting is great. Unfortunately, it becomes dogshit in Heavensward, where things start needing multiple cross-discipline intermediate products (even more complex than the "everything needs boar leather" stage of ARR), resources only available from timed nodes, and products made with things only obtainable from GC seals (this last mostly only a problem for the late crafting quests, but there's still good stuff locked behind GC turnins and Master Craftsman books).

Having a good supply of gil can mitigate this once you get deep into HW because there's a vendor in a late town that sells every crafting ingredient. But the difficulty also spikes and you may want to craft the intermediates yourself for the HQ progress boost.

I think it gets better in Stormblood on, but I haven't actually done more than glance at StB crafting because the class quests I've done are "take these unique materials and make this unique quest item. Great, you're done."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antivehicular posted:

... jewelry also drops much more readily than left-side gear...

Especially if you're trying to collect a level cap dungeon set :argh:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, the problem is mostly making sure your layouts are similar enough that muscle memory holds well enough when you swap between jobs in the same role. For instance, after watching a Sage guide, I realized I need to adjust things so the things that are basically SCH reskins are in the same place as on my SCH chotbars.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I would like all classes to have a Shirk so if something punches us we can aim at the tank and slap it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shinjobi posted:

An Olympic sized swimming pool of my blood can be found in Dun Scaith

Personally mine is all over Ozma's platform in Weeping City, I haven't had much problem with Dun Scaith.

Most recently, I was in the middle of the reviving animation when it did the whole "eat and teleport you" mechanic, leaving me alone. So I jumped into the visual effect it sucks you into. And spawned in the submap dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, either I'm incredibly faceblind, or the guy who's been giving me all my Paladin missions just attacked me for doing my paladin missions?

Fake e: Okay, apparently he was lied to, and this was enough to get him to drag half a dozen of his friends out to the desert to beat me up, and all it takes to get him back on my side is the guy he thought was lying to him telling him he was lied to? What even is this questline?

e: "How dare you use our arts against us?" My brother in Nald'Thal, you taught them to me.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 15, 2023