Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Having the thread OP still actively play the game is better than playing telephone about updates and hoping the old OP responds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Here are some TL;DR guides from the last thread for jobs that unlock at 50+. I'll probably be making more soon.

girl dick energy posted:

Samurai

Gunbreaker

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Brand New Ring also makes switching jobs way less punishing/daunting, because you know you've got a big ol' XP bonus waiting for you. And considering that "you can play any/every job on the same character" is one of the big draws for new players compared to WoW...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

True Ironman/solo is a challenge run I’ve been meaning to do with an alt at some point, (probably with a BLM) so godspeed on that. Dungeon drops will probably be your best source of new gear if you don’t decide to become an Omnicrafter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe 50% of the time tab works fine but sometimes especially in the overworld it targets something of zero interest to me.
In the Character Configuration -> Target setting of the options menu, you can set it to autotarget something when you try to use an attack without a target, prioritizing either closest to your body in distance, or closest to your direct line of sight. Which you prefer is up to you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

These posts continue to be delightful. :allears:

Edit for content:

I'm in 4.X now and taking my time with stuff, including finally messing with gpose instead of just turning off the UI and blindly screenshotting.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 25, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The only reason Coils hasn't been made mandatory despite having just as much of a legitimate claim as Crystal Tower, if not moreso, is because then they'd have to actually redesign the raids to be beatable by normal casual players MSQing in their brand new ilvl90 job gear or doing roulette while drunk and stoned at 3 AM.

What I'm saying is that if Squeenix expected people to do Coils legitimately, they'd be making it happen already.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How did I never loving notice that Eorzea is shaped like Africa?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

La Noscea is even just Madagascar on the other side.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, while I wouldn't be surprised if 8-man trials end up on the Duty Support roadmap at some point, I don't think Alliance Raids ever will, especially since only the level 50 AR series is MSQ-required or even all that plot relevant. That said, it's a shame that we'll never get Duty Support voice lines trying to explain Crystal Tower raid mechanics. I just want to hear Nero trying to explain Cerberus in WoD and G'raha yelling some variation on "GET ON THE PADS YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS" in LotA.
Cid uncomfortably explaining that someone's going to need to volunteer to get vored. :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The AIs not using AoE does mean that if you're tanking, and you try to make a big pull, you're gonna run out of CDs before the DPS plink the mobs to death one at a time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dareon posted:

You can /cpose to change it!

I sort of wish everyone had the same, but mostly because I want my Roe to do the Lala "storytime sway" animation.
Yeah, we miss out on the Lala floor sway, but we get the most powerful chair sitting animations instead

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 2, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love tanking new dungeons, but to be fair I’d also been playing WoW off and on for years before I started XIV. If you wanna get comms and skip queue but don’t wanna have to worry about getting lost, join new dungeons as healer and ask about each boss’ gimmick before the fight starts. Usually someone will be happy to explain (or say “I don’t remember” which usually means “nothing worth worrying about”).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just hit my first 90. Culinarian. The rest will fall before the end of the night, and I will be a True Omnicrafter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

It will require 9 ingredients costing approximately 780,000 gil on the market board.
Yeah, but if I travel to Famfrit at 2 AM on a weekday, I can get the materials for only 745,000, making a tidy 35k profit as long as I don't think about how much my time is worth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

Just did a run of the Great Gubal Library with two sprouts in the leveling roulette. They struggled with the mechanics, but we got through it after I explained how everything worked. Our BLM rage quit after a wipe on the last boss. We eventually got through it though and I was feeling super good about teaching the new guys the mechanics and getting through it in spite of 3-4 wipes.

Not a single commend. :(
You may not have gotten a comm like you deserved, but what you did do was give two sprouts a pleasant experience with a pain in the rear end dungeon that might've otherwise been miserable, and helped keep XIV's community what it is and should be.

Or to put it another way, you Goofus-and-Gallant-ed with that BLM.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One time a sprout asked me how I could repay him for my kindness for giving him gear and advice and showing him the ropes and I told him I was paying it forward from someone who did it for me, and he should do the same. It was a bald-faced lie, I did it because he was a sprout who wasn’t free trial so I was thrilled that I could actually give him stuff. But I fully believe that the community is what makes XIV worth playing, and if he remembers me and does the same thing for someone else, that’s a win. This game legitimately gives me more hope for and faith in humanity than any other social hobby I’ve had in years.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RE: Getting comms, Sage is a 3-comm machine in dungeons because from like the mid-30s onward, you can keep everyone topped off with oGCDs on even the biggest pulls without ever slowing down your Dyskrasia spam DPS rotation, and it makes you look like a healing god.

Special shoutout to Zoe+Ixochole, unlocked at Level 56, for an instant-cast, 0 MP, 600 potency, 15-yard AoE heal every 90 seconds.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 6, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roluth posted:

Sorry to be that guy, but Zoe only boosts GCD heals, and it has a 120s cooldown until 88. Works great with Pneuma though for a 900 potency GCD heal that doesn't lose you DPS.

The game doesn't explain the difference between healing spell and healing action well. Action is both off and on global, spell is only global cooldown.
You're not being That Guy, that's a genuinely helpful tip, thank you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

Have they talked about talent trees Or another form of job customization ? Or do theywant every job to be the same for everybody . Not complaining about it being that way just wondering.
I think their current stance is that those systems (they used to have one for picking what stat you raised at level up) end up doing more harm than good, because there will always be an objectively correct choice, and it encourages certain "you're playing your job wrong" arguments. It doesn't add any tactical depth for the high-end players because they'll just math out what gives you the best NUMBERS, and for the more casual players, it ends up creating problems of increasing the learning curve and potentially having trap options.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

And having materia melded makes your gear spiritbond faster, so you get even more materia to use or sell.
This, I did not know.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hahaha finally got the reaction I was fishing for from one of my friends after they saw my class/job list: "What the gently caress!? :psyduck:"
Can you take a screenshot so we can see it too

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As long as you're having fun, I guess!

The ignoring of Gladiator/Paladin made me snicker, though. (To put it in a way that avoids spoilers: The Paladin job quests leave a bad taste in a lot of players' mouths, at a point in the story where switching to another tank job is both easy and fun.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I hadn't realized Gladiator/Paladin was possibly infamous, I just avoided it because even Conjuror was getting close to the line to what I'd consider to be Out of Character for Saya
You dodged a bullet while bending over to pick up a quarter. Nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

S.J. posted:

one day they'll change it to a loving upgraded button, right? :(
No. Watching newbie White Mages waste their GCDs spamming Cure 1 at Level 50 for their free Cure 2 is good for you. Builds character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't worry, sometimes they'll also stand in the back near the Machinist and spam Holy from 15 yards away from the boss.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

In any case you'll do much better with a class you click with than one which you read on the internet has the biggest dps when played perfectly
:hmmyes:

Changing your 'main' job isn't completely trivial, you've gotta level it up and learn your new skills and combos, but it's definitely not the commitment it is in other MMOs like WoW where you have to pick one then stick with it and hope it stays good or else play the whole game over again. So even if you do want to play the top tier DPS job eventually, you don't have to play it right now.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 11, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Everyone should try to sell their own favourite jobs, because every job has a reason to be awesome in this game.
Sages get to do DPS just as much as white mages, except instead of playing "how low can the tank go before I have to use a GCD heal" limbo in dungeons, you can play "how long can I keep everyone almost full without using a GCD heal during a fight", and the answer is usually "pretty much the whole run".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Considering an alt where I play in true Ironman mode, refusing to equip anything I didn’t make myself, and spend the whole game in first person. Problem there, of course, is little questions like “do consumables count”, “can I use retainers” and “how do I handle trials”.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I am in the very strange position of being within spitting distance of qualifying for crafting mentor status... despite not even starting Shadowbringers yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Why did they let me have this

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

e: wrong xiv thread

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quiggy posted:

and only using Cure II when it's absolutely necessary
Counterargument: Don't cast Cure 1 when you have Cure 2 available. Ever. Your time and DPS is more valuable than the tiny amount of MP you save casting 'efficient' spells. Especially once you get Holy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

I agree with that quoted statement if you replace "only using Cure II" with "only using GCD heals"
:hmmyes: That, and "use Lucid Dreaming as often as possible" is a valid point, yeah.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That being said, when you do have to use a GCD heal, use the best one you've got (probably Cure 2, maybe Cure 3 or Medica 2 if everyone took a hit) so you can get back to DPSing quicker.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

I’ve been doing a lot of leveling dungeons and sage is crazy it’s like a disco / Death Star thing happening everywhere
Sage is so much fun and I hardly play WHM in roulettes any more, both because Sage is more fun from like 30 all the way to 70, and because why would I be a mage when I could be SHOOTING LASERS. And healing. WITH LASERS.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

From a mechanical perspective, Sage is interesting because they’re a shield healer without great crisis healing/triage options, but they also strongly reward even basic forethought. WHM is probably better for blind-running content if you’re worried about getting sucker punched by a mechanic, but once you know a dungeon, SGE really is Laser King.

And there’s nothing to make you feel like the Big Dick Healer like throwing down a Eukrasian Diagnosis and a damage reduction and seeing a tankbuster deal 0 damage because your shield literally ate it all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly once you get Taurochole, that and Druochole are pretty strong "someone needs healing now" buttons, and Ixochole + Pepsis works great for the whole party. I'm only at 80 so maybe this changes at the endgame, but it feels a bit weird calling sage a "shield healer" when it has tons of options to heal people and I rarely feel like I actually am putting out that many shields outside of (pan)haima.
You know what, that's fair. 'Shield healer' vs 'regen healer' is a dumb dichotomy and they don't even stick with it themselves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, TL;DR: Glamour dressers are ten year old spaghetti code that they're afraid to touch because it's made of glass and full of things people spent hundreds of hours collecting and/or bought with real money, and "why can't we have X" always basically comes down to "because we need to figure out how to make the whole system not collapse whenever we try to add X"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

2.x is dragging friends . I’m up to keeper of the lake and the last two CT sections

I guess I’m near the end
You're getting there! Now's a good time to take a break and try out the Hildibrand quests (it starts with The Rise And Fall Of Gentlemen, in Ul'dah, near the Aetheryte) and/or beast tribe sidequests and whatever else of ARR content you wanna do.

Edit: And if you've been wanting to try crafting/gathering, you've got flight now and huge wads of cash and can go anywhere and kill almost anything you need for 1-50 crafting.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 19, 2022