Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

quiggy posted:

Wait, what? I must've missed this NPC, where are they?

The Scrap Salvager in Idyllshire, same NPC that you buy custom delivery parts from. The "Purchase Items III" menu is what you're looking for.

Edit: There's a similar NPC for Stormblood. ShB/EW don't have one, but instead have ways to purchase monster drops in exchange for a special currency.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The only thing you need to know about tanking Alliance (24 man) Raids is that some of them occasionally have fights where there's three big targets that need to be kept apart. It's generally assumed that the tank in group A gets the one of the left (relative to the entrance to the fight), B gets middle, C gets right. People are pretty chill in this game in general, but if they're yelling at a tank in an Alliance Raid, this is usually why. Outside of this, you can usually just turn your tank stance off and be blue dps for the whole duty.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Thanks everyone. Just tanked the bosses in Syrcus tower and it went smoothly. I think I was thrown off by the chrysalis, where I didn't stand in the right place and everyone died.

If it's any consolation, it takes several people messing that up to wipe the raid, usually what happens is either 1-2 people die by themselves, or half the raid stays to try to burst him down before it goes off. I've seen it work, but it usually doesn't.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you spin the boss fast enough, you win!

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It does help to have one main tank, one belly tank, one adds tank, but it's not super necessary and literally nobody but the tanks should bother worrying about who's doing what, as long as a handful of people go do the belly stuff.

The only true mistake is when people think "as soon as I put the shackles on, the boss starts fighting again, so I should delay as much as possible", then their 'holding chains' buff times out, the boss gets mad, and things get very funny from there.

If you grab the chains, don't delay using them.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I still laugh every time I see a sprout sprint off into the distance while carrying the stack+gaze marker.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Specifically, check if they say "8 players recommended" on them. You don't actually need 8, just 4 competent players are more than enough, but don't try those alone. Even for earlier expansions, the dungeon that spawns will level sync you.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Note that if you're hunting for more maps, there's an 18(?) hour cooldown after harvesting a map before you can pick up another. You can see the remaining time in your timers menu (ctrl+u).

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In alliance raids, I just commend whoever made me laugh the most, and overambitious sprout black mages are very funny. The only thing that'll get people mad at you in alliance raids is being a tank during a "keep these adds apart" phase, but even then all you have to do is turn your tank stance on for 15 seconds and hit provoke. The community standard in this case is that party A goes left, B goes middle, C goes right, relative to the entrance to the fight.

Sometimes people will grouse if you use the LB meter sub-optimally but you can ignore them; it doesn't actually matter. Using it is always better than not using it, and it generally resets at the start of every boss.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I just wanted to get to Bozja and skipped every single one of those cutscenes. I was very confused by the end, and had no idea why this Au Ra lady I've never met seemed so happy to see me in Gangos. I still regret nothing.

edit: The raids themselves are cool though. I CALL OUT TO THE HEAVENS AND TREMBLE AS THE BRILLIANCE OF A THOUSAND BOLTS BLINDS MINE ENEMIES AND TEARS THEIR FLESH ASUNDER!

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 26, 2023

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

That fight got nerfed twice*, iirc. The second nerf came in 5.3ish, well into ShB patches. I had the good fortune of seeing it a few times before that patch went out and it was brutal. Just one or two people out of place could wipe the raid. It was possible to recover if all the healers were 100% prepared, but if any one of the parties flatlined, it was game over. Nowadays, the raidwide "someone goofed" damage is a nuisance, but easily survivable.

*It's possible I misremembered or was given false information, I joined right before the free trial became unrestricted, and cleared ARR like a week after pre-HW flying was enabled, which I think was 5.2.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2023

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Don't forget that Arm's Length is decent mitigation too, but only on trash packs (bosses are immune to Slow).

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

SAMs no longer generate extra kenki for hitting their positionals, now it's just a minor potency boost like everyone else.

edit: Also the circles under your target had an update semi-recently, and is much better at showing where the divide between rear and flank is.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Always follow the crowd, at least you won't die alone, and it won't be your fault.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The problem with BLM is that it is by far the worst job to get synced down on. High level BLM kicks rear end, you can throw a ton of nukes, with lots of mobility options, but Fire I spam is the least amount of fun you can have playing dps properly, and you're stuck with that until mid-HW.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, Pepsis heals based on whether the target(s) have the single target or aoe shield on them, not caring how much shield is left, or if it was a crit. It eats the whole shield too.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Best advice I can give there is, wait until you unlock flying in ARR at the end of 2.0 before diving deep into DoH/DoL jobs, just to make gathering a lot less of a pain. Until you hit max level on your crafters, there's almost no resources that are a huge effort to collect, so don't be afraid to vend excess materials, unless you expect to use them again very soon.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

A full 100 levequests can get you half a million gil or more, every 33.33 days, it's a bit of a grindfest, but it's reliable low-thought income. If you're looking for a few million gil in short order, getting a map group together is your best bet. Other side content is good money when it's current; selling extra Bozja fragments while I was grinding out relic weapons got me a few million just by themselves.

You can also make a decent amount buying rare mats (like map materials) and crafting stuff themselves, but this requires market research, a lot of monitoring prices and relisting, and it might still take some time. That said, Replica Sky Pirate stuff has been very good to me, just keep an eye on the market, every once in a while someone will dump the Skysteel materials in bulk, which can translate to a lot of money. Trial materials can be good too, but don't bother with crafting weapons, those will take too long to sell.

One way or another, farming up enough for a Medium plot or bigger will almost certainly require selling stuff on the MB. Make sure you check all relevant prices before you sink money into materials! Especially check the Sale History for anything you want to sell, some items will have a very high price, but nobody's actually buying. Hard-to-catch fish are the biggest offenders here. Don't try to make money selling or flipping ultra rare fish.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

For most purposes, dark purple dye will do the same job as jet black, and it's much cheaper. See also ink blue, for an even more budget-conscious broody edgelord look.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bruceski posted:

You definitely want to preview dyes before shelling out for the expensive stuff if you change often enough that your wallet cares. Another factor alongside the ones mentioned is that a lot of metal gear will give a metallic sheen to the normal dyes without needing to buy the general-purpose ones.

Always try before you buy.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Four glares, not three, but yes, it's dps neutral (since it's 3 heals casts plus one misery, for four total gcds), with an added bonus of being all instant casts, which means Afflatus heals are a viable dps tool for movement even if no healing is required. It's also a dps gain to burn excess lilies during fight downtime or between trash pulls; just don't burn all your flowers unless you know the fight and won't need them for healing.

Note that while healers should be contributing to dps, their damage optimization isn't really worth stressing about. It's just fun to theorize.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you're worried about it, just make a "I'm new, anything I need to know?" chat macro, and usually someone will clue you in to anything in particular you need to watch for. And don't stress too much if you goof up, the whole community is pretty chill about it.

Just learn from your mistakes and don't panic, and you'll be ok.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It should kick you out of the Mahjong queue if you don't have a portrait set. Nobody gets shamed for their stone-faced mugshot, and I don't feel self-conscious for being the only one to strike a pose.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I've been having good luck with alliance roulette lately, but if I'm in a bad enough mood to consider just dropping out of a Labyrinth or whatever, I at least wait to see if the "new player bonus" text shows up, not because I want the bonus, but because it means at least one person is here by story requirement, and it makes me feel just a little bit less like my time is being wasted.

I think I've said it before, but Syrcus is almost tolerable because I can just turn off my brain and listen to a YouTube video while I ignore all the mechanics, WoD is fine because the mechanics are actually kind of fun, but Labyrinth completely sucks poo poo. Half the bosses have invulnerable or untargetable phases where you just sit around doing nothing while you wait for stuff to happen, and the other half have sprout traps that are trivially easy, but someone's going to get yelled at for not doing them. I hope they update Labyrinth soon-ish; as it is, it's an awful introduction to Alliance raids.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Bismarck is a little fiddly because sometimes he drops puddles right on you as you're trying to hit the harpoons, and with a very tight window for sprinting between both, it's easy to miss it. Just bring a friend and two-man it if you have trouble, makes things 10x easier.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I recently did all (minus 1, 5, and 9) of the Alex Savage raids solo (for glam), and the only one that gave me any trouble was A4S, but once you know you need to save burst for the last leg, it's fine. You have about 2 GCDs to take it from full to zero, but that's very doable at level 90. Everything else went down before any dangerous mechanics happened. Only caveat is, this was as SAM in 640+ gear; I don't know how tight the dps checks are for avoiding the bad stuff.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I joined like a week before the free trial was expanded. It ended right at "Hey, we found Cid in a big dramatic reveal, now let's get that airship!" (Must be level 36 to accept the next quest.)

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I regularly steal aggro in 90 dungeons because I can't help myself from unloading my entire opener while we're running. It doesn't actually matter though, I never lose more than a third of my hp before the tank can wrangle them up again.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you like easy minions, there's a sidequest in Aleport I would highly recommend. Skribyld is the NPC you're looking for.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I've gotten 16 mil gil selling a rare mount I got in PotD. A full 200 floor run is pretty fun but you either need a premade group with a strict schedule, or find 3 randoms who are willing to commit like 6 hours in one sitting. Solo attempts basically require lots of in-depth knowledge about game mechanics, as well as knowledge of a lot of esoteric rules only applicable to PotD and similar Deep Dungeons. It's still very hard with a party of 4 but at least resurrection is an option most of the time.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

reversefungi posted:

"Plot-relevant gloves"

"If they weren't important, you wouldn't be able to interact with them."

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Something I keep seeing new sages do, even at level 90, is seeing that another sage put Kardia on the main tank, so they put theirs on the off-tank instead. Kardia is not like dance partner! It's effect stacks just fine; it's cool and good to double it up on the main tank.

That said, there's several level 90 duties where both tanks are taking auto-attacks, in which case yeah, it's a good idea to have one Kardia on each of them.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Eternal_Bond#Plans

tl;dr, there are three packages, free, $10 (per person, so $20 actually), and $20 (actually $40)

All packages give gown or suit (each player gets to choose, and you can swap them later for no charge), a cake furniture item, the teleport ring, the Embrace emote, and a new hairstyle.

Mid package and up get dyeable versions of the clothes, a 2-seater chocobo mount, and every guest (up to 80) gets two minions.

Premium gets you slightly fancier clothes.

The more expensive your package, you get more decor/cutscene/music options for the ceremony, and there's also better scheduling options or priority or something for fancier packages; I'm not sure exactly how scheduling works.

edit: I think the wiki is wrong and Gold tier gives one minion to everyone while Premium gives 2.

edit2: Here's the official page for pricing: https://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/eternalbond/na/detail/fees.html?lng=en&rgn=na

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 8, 2023

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Some more fun facts about weddings: there is no enforced dress code; while it does give you a choice of gown or tailcoat (both are equippable by either gender), you can wear whatever you want. Full plate armor? Toad suit? No problem.

There's several ceremony "types" that affect the cutscene, one is religious, one is super serious business, and a cutesy one officiated by a moogle, which is the only one with a kiss.

An Eternal Bonding ceremony is the only way to get into the Sanctum of the Twelve.

Weddings and ceremony invitations are currently locked to single worlds. You cannot marry someone or give an invitation to someone from a different world, but nothing's stopping you from hosting your own after-party someplace accessible to cross-world travellers. The devs have stated that they hope to fix this, but afaik there's no ETA for that.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you aren't a friend of the couple, the only reason you'd want in is to get a minion, but it's not hard to get into weddings these days. Plenty of people are happy to hand out invitations to whoever just to fill seats.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Hyper Inferno posted:

I meant trading the higher tier bands to other players for gil, not through like an in-game vendor or something. I didn't buy the ring with money, I was the one buying it with gil. I think it cost me like 20 million gil for the platinum ring?

I hate to break it to you, but you may have been swindled. There's only one ring regardless of package, the "Eternity Ring", which is untradeable and unsellable. Maybe it used to work differently though, I don't know the history of patch notes regarding weddings.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

This is a very serious game with very serious consequences for your frivolity. Only whitebread hyurs are allowed here.

fr though you should do the Fall Guys minigame and get yourself some very funky clothes. They're reasonably cheap, it doesn't take a lot of time to get all of it.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

My first steps into Hildy were after having beaten ARR blind and was not warned about the massive amount of level 50 patch content. I was just desperately trying to clear out blue quests and this one took so drat long (because it was several entire storylines released over multiple patches).

Luckily I learned to actually enjoy them by the time I got to HW patch blues.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

x0s are also a pretty decent source of Causalities, if you've got a job at max level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

In my experience, they can't hold enmity no matter what, and they don't do a lot of damage, but a steady trickle of healing can make solo FATEs a lot easier. I'd recommend maxing out healing first, and make a note of the different stances, you can set them to "only heal" which will make them focus on topping you off and keeping choco regen rolling.

But the two most important things you MUST do with your chocobo:

1) Give them a funny name. You can change the name whenever at the city chocobokeeps.

2) Dress them up in cute outfits. There's a way to dye their feathers but it's kind of a pain, and I wouldn't worry about it until you've got enough cash to throw at the MB.