Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shinjobi posted:

Alisaie has been entertaining since she's been allowed to actually be part of the team. A chip on her shoulder in almost every conversation, she's funny.

Alisaie isn't my favorite scion but she's a goodun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

If you have an FC that can run you through it (like our goon guilds on Excal) its a blast to play and I would recommend. Its a very chill, relatively low stakes set of fairly pretty zones, and you even get a raid at the end to go through! (Yeah you lose xp on death but the community is good enough that its easy to get a rez to save you that)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

sassassin posted:

The tank is the hero of the story. Other roles aren't appropriate for Warriors of Light.

This, that's why my MSQ main is DRK.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I always hit my "Lali-Ho!" button.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Really wish that was /pat instead of /pet, which would make it slightly less creepy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

I found this map googling this question:

Notably Western Europe doesn't exist and Garlemald is roughly where Finland should be. :laffo:

FF14 is just a retelling of the Finno-Korean Hyperwar

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I want duty support savage raids, where Alphinaud pastes a macro, Urianger suggests an alternate strat nobody can understand, and then Alisaie repeatedly wipes the party by greeding her melee phase

Thou doth not remunerate mine sub.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

SettingSun posted:

They'll support this game until some event makes it incredibly unpopular and/or unprofitable. Some things that come to mind that could do that are: the untimely death of YoshiP, something catastrophic happening to SE itself, some other MMO somehow rising up to compete with it that is flat out a better game.

Yeah basically this, although my money is on SE doing something extremely boneheaded like trying to force NFTs into the game or doing something businesswise that somehow gets YoshiP to quit / get forced out

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

MSQ patch quests generally don't give xp or give very little.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Combat wise, you don't need it until you hit max level and are getting endgame gear. The only times I can think of otherwise are lvl 70 BLU or filling in the slots on your Eureka specific gear.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

hexwren posted:

FF14 raiding

This is a pretty good overview, but I also want to mention that each expansion's endgame also comes with a extra set of trial fights, also with its own story and cutscenes. These are a little bit different than the raids storywise as they more focus on the individual things that you are fighting rather than a larger overarching storyline (for instance, the primals that you have been fighting in ARR). In ARR they are baked into the MSQ by default its gonna be a shocker, but you fight more primals, but they are split out from the pack in later expansion content. They also have extreme versions as well.

For the future expansions, you get to fight...

HW: The Warring Triad from FF6, also worth doing for some extra setup plot for later
StB: The Four Lords, some figures from Japanese Doman mythology
ShB: The Weapons from FF7 with some extra Gundam style mecha drama on top
EW: The Four Fiends from FF4. vvv Thanks! vvv

Sometimes these also unlock some extra dungeons and solo trials as well. Like your solo Gundam fight against Sapphire Weapon which is one of the coolest solo duties in the game

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 9, 2022

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I actually think the 2.x MSQ is a little underrated as it sets up a lot of world building and introduces you to characters that will be very important later on. But it is pretty slow.

It's not like post ifrit pre titan where it's just a total irritating slog

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 10, 2022

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

BLU endgame after the carnival is basically getting together BLU groups to wombo combo old savage content and waiting patiently (or impatiently) for them to release more BLU stuff

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't realize reaper was low tier at high levels, why is that?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

BRD has a ton of mobility, a set of 2 minute buff moves that make you triple tap a boss for a crapton of damage, a fairly fluid "rotation" of sorts which is more like hitting buttons when they come up while weaving around your base attack, and when you get bored you can whip out your flute and annoy your raid group with lahee

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Can't use perform in raids, unfortunately.

W-well you can annoy them back at the fc house!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Note that for the ARR relic grind -- I would actually recommend grinding the first couple steps of it (up to Zeta, I think?) because they are relatively fast to do, unlock a couple extra trials, and you get a neat weapon glam out of it. But stop after the game asks you to start grinding fates, because that's when the shite hits the fan.

Basically what ^^^ they said.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Oneiros posted:

i'm begging you to save me from another run of the praetorium

how very glib

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

If you craft Answers at 0 quality you get the track where its played on a kazoo

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

For the ARR relics I would recommend maybe doing the first couple steps (up to right before you have to start grinding fates) because you get a fairly cool weapon out of them and its relatively not super grindy.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Eureka is fun but I would definitely join a group for it if you can or else it will take literally forever.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Relyssa posted:

Yoshi-p you can name your goddamn price for that hat I want it immediately.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I ended up enjoying Eureka but I would only really do it with a group or your FC.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I've enjoyed crafting but gathering hasn't been my cup of tea.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

The wine quest is the high point of that alliance raid story

This is sadly true

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

the corrupted crystals is shorter and comes after coerthas (which is a highlight of ARR) at least

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

IIRC for materia isn't is always crit for DPS unless you are BLM, in which spell speed is better because you can do mechanics easier?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Even ARR 2.0 has some interesting story stuff, the Corethas section after Titan being one of them.

Long story short, the seeds of the plot start in the 2.x patches (which are slow but have a lot of good worldbuilding, and are kind of underrated imho), the writing kicks up a notch in Heavensward, the gameplay really comes together in Stormblood and then Shadowbringers kicks everything even further above. Not that the stuff before ShB is bad at all, though -- there are a lot of real good story and gameplay moments all through the previous expansions and patches.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

My big issue with the raid narrative isn't even the troupe (which was a good idea with terrible execution and characters, mind you), its that (FFT spoilers) they messed and took all the ambiguity out of Delita's character at the end

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I just hit Endwalker endgame and I got reasonably well geared just by doing normal mode raid content. I will probably need to run things more if I want to get savage / extreme ready but I still have patch MSQ and the alliance series ahead of me which will probably get me the gear I need

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

One of my FF14 bucket list things is to run through coils synced because it is a very atmospheric, beautiful raid series

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Or you could do no backflips and have to stand still for 2.5 seconds at a time like a REAL mage

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Its a lot more enjoyable in practice as you have to weave your healing around your damage (and vice versa). This is the rare game where healers are expected to put in a measurable amount of dps in higher level content.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah caster shields past ARR is just an artifact of the old system, along with those annoying chest pieces with hoods that also lock your head slot. (Looking at you, Eureka gear)

It would be cool for them to revisit that but I doubt they will.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

wait can someone post the trashcan armor piece? I'm not sure what you guys are talking about (I didn't mess around with tanking until I could unlock DRK)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

You don't have to use it right away, I ended up using mine to just adjust my eye color.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

make sure you try to use your mitigation cooldowns proactively, popping your 30% damage reduction (all the tanks get one in ARR iirc, with varying names and visual effects) does little to save you if you are almost dead and the healer can't keep up

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

God Hole posted:

I'm assuming most dungeons are gonna be like that through duty finder. is it ever worth doing dungeons solo just to take in some of the puzzle-solving or story elements or are they all gonna be that shallow?

Pretty much all the dungeons you go through are going to go that quick, but they get better at spacing things out and putting up barriers so you can only pull a couple groups at a time. Some of the story dungeons do have some interesting things in the margins that are worth going slower in with a trust (a group of NPC characters), but most of the duties are pretty straightforward set pieces later on.

If you want to just walk through the duty without mobs or bosses there is a feature to do that which was added recently, iirc.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Honestly the Ivalice raid series falls flat for me because they expect me to believe Delita was anything other than a scum sucking snake piece of poo poo.

All that time wasted and your big reveal is that in XIV the dickhead was actually not a dickhead....that blows.

That's my main complaint! I actually think that Delita is a little bit better than that but one of the great parts of FFT is trying to figure out if everything he does is due to circumstance and opportunity, as revenge for his sister, is he just using Ramza as a pawn or does he really care about him, etc. He was a good character because he was morally gray and hard to read, but the wrap-up of the raid cuts all that out and pushes that Delita was really really good all along and he did it all for Ramza, which is really really dumb.

Also in retrospect Bozja is a better storyline but it still has its issues. At the very least, its worth unlocking the first bit of it because the first solo duty is really good.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Between that and the trainwreck that was Misija, it really makes me feel like Matsuno's seriously lost his touch. All the stuff going on in the background of Bozja was great (except needing to have the entire finale happen offscreen in the notes instead of in-game because of extremely poor planning) but the stuff it actually focused on was pretty terrible.

Yeah, I agree -- I love Matsuno but his style of writing just doesn't work here. Although I still wonder if the pandemic threw enough of a wrench into things where they had to cut out a lot of the last part of it.