Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
most of the discourse around this is circulated by regular PFers, for whom the assumption must be below-average players with below-average gear across the board, so it makes sense to hedge your bets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

They didn't even have time to coherently settle the lore and background into a canon state that they could actually expand on until mid-HW, that's why so many dropped plot threads are stuff from 1.0, ARR, or 3.0 that seemed like it would be more relevant at the time. Once you get into HW patches they're actually planning ahead for what's next, because until they saw the sales numbers for HW, they weren't sure whether they'd have to abandon ship and put it in maintenance mode, wrapping up the main plot within the expansion.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

Blue Mage can solo Lakshmi Extreme synched. Pretty sure no other class can even come close to soloing an extreme trial synched.

warrior was able to solo ravana on-level when the cap was 60 because of the uniquely large gear gap between start and end of HW compared to future expansion item level pacing. no idea if it's still possible with everything shuffled around

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

Do you have a video link to this? I can find a 1 Warrior/7 Scholar video and an 8 Warrior video on YouTube, but nothing for solo Warrior. I can't imagine Warrior being able to survive the sword dives in the second phase solo with Holmgang's 6 second duration even at max ilvl compared to the beginning of the expansion.

i remember doing it for wondrous tails, but those memories might actually be from stormblood because it's been 6 years. i was definitely soloing things for wondrous tails on warrior in hw but that could have been arr.

also even by early creator, before actual savage gear you could do A4 with a light party for the gobwalker mount because of the ilevel scaling

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

there's no difference in mechanical complexity between optional dungeons and MSQ dungeons. all dungeons are on the same level, and all intended to be done without guides. if anything a guide overcomplicates it by having to explain something very visually intuitive

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Alxprit posted:

people shouldn't watch the trailer for shadowbringers until it's time for them to play it!!

anyone who was playing when the trailer got released saw the trailer and was told "you're going to bring shadow" and all the specific details 6 months before they could play it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

People keep saying that people remove gear to get the 50 raids but is that actually true or not?

i did it when i needed specifically crystal towers for... something i forget now (a relic?) but still wanted to get the roulette bonus when i was doing it

it's very common practice during dry seasons, and was probably more common before they added echo to orbonne because people didn't want to deal with bots trying to do that one. and there are plenty of bots in alliance roulette, just like in frontlines. more people means they can hide better

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

never look up mechanics for story content. it's not built for it. it's built for jumping in blind and you're probably getting guides to the harder version of the fight anyway

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i think the only time i've ever been actually unable to complete 'normal difficulty' content was day 1 mhach city. and that was on a patch which marked a historical low for player competence relative to job complexity, as well as playerbase engagement in general, combined with what were a bunch of new experimental mechanics at the time and people who didn't really remember what alliance raids were like because alliance roulette didn't exist then and crystal tower took literal hours to queue for because there was no incentive to run some parts of old content.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

did the ARR cleanup cut out the "no not THAT kind of corrupted crystal, the OTHER kind" bit? that was worse than the titan banquet when i think about how i was feeling back then

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

Also yeah the Titan arc is the worst, but afterwards you get to go to Coerthas and hang with the Ishgardians which is pretty good

i also hated the ishgardians a lot but the payoff for that was way better.

though part of it was also because i did it long enough ago that you needed to do sidequests to go to another stage of the MSQ

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Machinist is the other job besides summoner that was famous for completely changing every expansion. The initial machinist (at 60) had castbars and an ammo system to pump GCDs, as well as permanent turret pets that could either be put into "recharge" mode to restore MP/TP but do no damage, or could be sacrificed and go on cooldown for a burst.

Then with Stormblood they de-emphasized ammo and added heat, except heat was a thing you wanted to balance because overheating wasn't necessarily always good or part of your rotation. It was only in Shadowbringers that ammo totally went away and they introduced heat/battery as a simple "build up and burst at the same time as everyone else" mechanic.

Heavensward/Stormblood machinist also had its basic combo be proc-based like bard, even as it was a three-step. Jobs change a LOT. There were some other pretty severe changes, more from 50 to 60 than there were from 60 to 70, but those two always stood out as being drastic reworks.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 24, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

a chance at rare mounts and otherwise hard-to-access old gear for the looks. that's it. the title you get for soloing all the way to floor 200 is considered fairly prestigious. it's also one of the quicker ways to spend a lot of consecutive time grinding jobs from levels 15-60

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Stop at every expansion and do at least the normal and alliance raids imo, ideally alongside the patch content they were released in

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

they changed those rules for every subsequent relic but never bothered going back to do it for the first one

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

I come from WoW and people acting like FF14 raiding is hard makes me laugh. Oh no... 2 mechanics? :D yeah man, the struggle is real

i mean do people act like LFR is hard in wow? there must be some people who behave that way. same deal. where you are you've only experienced LFR level content

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

also most ultimates are 20+ mins actually, though i know some of the more brutal wow endbosses have been up there too

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

if those are from future expansions they've probably pushed a bit past the original timing with dps. the first three approached 20 or were at it before level sync, ucob before gear sync because the gear jump in 4.x was harsher on ucob than the equivalent in 5.x was for tea.

basically the rule of thumb is that dps checks/enrage timers stop mattering for ultimates when their expansion passes, because potency changes and adjustments for syncing err on the generous side.

to further the wow comparison for newcomers, it's not like the 30% nerf that happens when the patch number ticks over there, because of 14's specific approach to these particular fights is that they want the mechanics to always be as hard to learn, but to ease off on the dps when it's not 'current' since it's hard to really intentionally balance job updates around "how does this play at every previous level cap?" which is ultimately how you get things like tankcob and deathcob.

every other level of difficulty--including stuff that was pretty hard when current--is subject to the equivalent of the 30% thing once its time is past, so you can eventually just brute force most stuff if you want a glam or mount.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 2, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

i think if you come back to gunbreaker after having played a tank and a melee at equivalent levels, it'll all probably fit together. tanks have been in a pretty good spot for a while now, in terms of how all their stuff has clear equivalents across each job. once you've got your head around warrior at 60, you'll probably immediately notice where those equivalents are on gunbreaker.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the thing about ff14 is that it's a real slow burn and a lot of us have had the benefit of seeing it unfold over however many years. people love hoary boulder now because he's always there in the background and you could see his personal life slowly moving onwards if you go back and check up on him every few months after a new patch. the twins, if it weren't a game with a self-insert, would be the main characters of the story and their development is one of the central continuing plots of the whole drat game

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

tbf if all i had to go on was crystal tower, hildibrand, and coils vs. the ARR main story by 2.3 i'd wonder why the main story was so slow too. it's funny how all the side content from back then is a way better indicator of what the game becomes than the main story at the time

i also remember experiencing heavensward patch-by-patch, nobody had the current level of confidence in the writing back then and weren't expecting it to be as good as it turned out, or to actually pay attention to all the details it put down.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The rewards are the big indicator there really. It’s a fight you’re expected to be capable of knocking out a bunch of runs in a row because you either need 10 or 99 to buy something. That expectation gives a pretty firm limit on how complicated it can be.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The moogle quests were mandatory in HW in that if you were playing straight through to marathon to level cap, there wasn’t enough exp in MSQ so you had to clean out a bunch of sidequests. This was also still the era of the 46->50 msq lock fate spam in nthan

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

All the NA data centers are on the West coast and you can travel between all four.

Ask me about my ping from the Mid-Atlantic to California. :negative:

Yeah but when I hear “cross dc play” i think of “all regional dcs merged so that you can queue in aether and get matched with people in crystal”

Which is basically what would fix the current issue with how dc travel works

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Maybe I don't want to play with people from Crystal :colbert:

too bad because they've all moved to aether for pf purposes

though in the days before they tagged your server in party chat, which was WELL before the NA sundering, we used to have a good time of "spot the balmung" in alliance raids. wasn't even anything related to character, just the way people behaved and talked

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's pretty wild this is not a thing a decade in. I understand cross-region play is challenging to make work but this?

(although, didn't they talk about how cross-region is totally possible at the fan fest? Odd they'd be working on that before even linking all the regional datacenters into a single pool...)

What yoshi mentioned at fanfest is that they could implement cross-region DC travel but would still need to work on a full cross-DC PF. He was hesitant to do the former because it's not really that much of a benefit for a lot of people, and would cause huge amounts of annoying issues in the first month of activity or so.

Antivehicular posted:

I believe the classic Balmung defense is "it's not us, it's people traveling to us as MMO sex tourists," which is extremely funny if true. I think Malboro came up as the big offenders?

I believe this completely. also to clarify my earlier post, this was also when server cultures were MUCH more distinct, and you could usually spot a balmung player by this weird haughtiness they had about things entirely outside the mechanics of the game. but server cultures are gone now

the real Horny Server is twitter

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 14, 2023

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

gordias and midas would have been overtuned but not playerbase-ruining if cross-server PF had existed then, but when each server was an island it created incentives for everyone to transfer to the designated raiding server in their DC, which pretty much hollowed out a bunch of low-pop places.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

The savage versions of 4 and 12 have a mount, and savage 8 has a minion. They were famously hard to do legit back in their day, I'm not sure what the state is now (unsynced is easy of course)

they should be soloable by 7.0, two people at cap right now can do it

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

has there ever been an official explanation why 14 can't just have a "mouseover on all friendly abilities" option separate from having to make it a macro?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

Does the alliance raid for HW have a bunch of story too? Is it worthwhile for me to stop by and do it before going off to Stormblood?

everything in this game has story, though how relevant and far-reaching that story is varies.

void ark specifically is tied a bit more towards the ARR end of things, where you're concerned specifically with eorzea and its history rather than the whole planet, but it doesn't mean it's not something, and there are bits that inform future developments for sure.

my take on if you want to stop and smell the roses: try and do all the raids of an expansion alongside their respective release patches to get a sense of how things developed, but beyond raids there isn't as much that gets heavily carried forward

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

they also had no idea whether the game was going to be cancelled until basically 3.1, so who knows where ul'dah might have went if the game got pulled before they did much for HW

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah the fact that reaper is all build-up meters and you can save stuff between transitions and should be preparing the right amount of resources before downtime makes it very challenging, compared to something like dragoon where you can spread it all out on a timeline that will never change, only reset to opener status

monk is the hardest because it's the fastest gcd thing, and therefore interrupts the rhythm the game gets you used to

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The sidequests exist because back in the day it took most of the sidequests+all of main story+some fate grinding on the side to actually get one job to 50.

As you move into Stormblood you pass the point where sidequests exist for your first job at cap, and into the point where they exist mainly to have neat little stories

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The other thing is that fflogs doesn’t differentiate parses by item level like wow does, so if you’re not actual bis you won’t parse well regardless

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I have always wondered what is ff14's specific allergy to what wow players call council fights. there are plenty of bosses that don't ask for much positioning work on the tank's part, it's not too much of a stretch to have a target that doesn't need to be tanked but is off doing its own mechanics. or hell, even one that DOES need to be tanked by a melee. give bloodbath more uses

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah i was definitely thinking in terms of alliance raids, where everything a boss does probably has a standard-issue orange marker, and the difficulty is mainly in them overlapping in surprising ways. i think you could do it in early-floor savage, though, just have it all be based on purely visual tells and debuffs

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

arr is also very different tonally and in terms of how it wants you to think of the setting, and the shift from where it was then to where it is now is pretty gradual over a couple expansions. someone who really vibes with arr's whole trying to be very "this is a plausible equivalent to the early modern period" with only a dash of the FF standard high-concept stuff might not vibe with the more classically FF postmodern genre fiction blender that is so prominent later, or vice versa

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

even today, ff14 has very few quest setpieces equivalent to what wow was even doing in 2008 with the dragon riding vehicle quests and such. it is a bit of a slog, which is why you get advised to not try and cram everything in at once. but also, when you stop and smell the roses, make sure to stop and smell the optional dungeons and raids because that's where ff14 puts all its mechanical effort, in its instances

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

in endwalker, the levels-to-complete-package time definitely hits somewhere before 90 for almost everyone. most endwalker additions were little extra things to the existing loop that got established in stormblood and firmed up in shadowbringers, excepting the jobs that got top-to-bottom overhauls at some point in there--monk, bard, and tanks in shadowbringers, summoner in endwalker, machinist in both stormblood and shadowbringers.

in general the 65-70 range is definitely when it all comes together for everyone, but the difficult part about that is that everything before 60-70 is locked behind job quests and therefore story progression, so you don't really get the sense of it until you're 2/3 of the way through the free trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

They definitely need to do an overhaul of the low-level experience. At the very least, all classes should be walking into Sastasha with their basic 1-2-3, an AoE, and an oGCD of some sort (an oGCD heal for healers like how Astro starts with Essential Dignity) and have at least some kind of gimmick happening by level 50.

i wonder what's held them back from this so far. it's only with the monk and summoner changes that the previous hard limit of "no ability from a later expansion can be moved into an earlier one" was finally broken, so what's the new deal?