Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Yeah the Brand-new Set is mostly good because up to that point ARR armor is just ugly as sin and with current exp pacing you can coast on using them until you unlock glamours.

Not that it's bad or anything, but the value is very much primarily in not making my tiny dudes look like uncoordinated clowns longer than they have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

IIRC, these days it's not too bad to solo most of Coils unsynced with most classes, but I do think getting kicked in the face repeatedly synced with a good party is good for building character as long as you skip Twintania (who is just hard in a frustrating/tedious way rather than a tense one). Plus, if you extract any joy from it at all you will probably enjoy Extreme and/or Savage raiding.

...I should probably go unsync Coils, I'm in late StB now, I can probably tank it solo assuming I can race Nael's mechanics.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I usually DPS Solidarity/Newbie Reward comm, unless I'm tanking then I give the healer comms for putting up with me (unless they were an rear end in a top hat, but the rear end in a top hat caveat is eternal). DPS being invisible is a good thing so if I don't remember you it's probably for the best!

Then again I also play the two DPS that people frequently make jokes about being stupid assholes making the healer's life harder (BLM and DRG) so maybe I'm just more aware of how a good DPS should be functionally invisible. E: I say this but the one time I got full comms was as a BLM, probably because I left my leylines when the floor turned orange.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I think of the ARR jobs the only job stones that aren't super rare in-universe are for Dragoon, and even then it's more a single city-state's highly specialized fighting force than something any rando can get. I could be wrong, I haven't unlocked every job, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Even later jobs are still fairly scarce—Dancer is a fighting style taught by a single troupe that's still mostly non-combatants, for instance.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, it's nice to be able to just gently caress around and take my time rather than having to hustle through a dungeon that either I'm unfamiliar with or am doing with a new class.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Catboys have a gremlin squat as one of their emotes (I don't remember which one), maybe they were talking about that?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're talking about how the catgirls squat outside the Missing Member in Limsa

Wait are there multiple /sits?

Yep, that's the catboy squat. No, I don't know why catgirl player characters can't have it.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

There's a reason I only ever run dungeons as dps, never have to deal with people pressuring you to go faster when you get disoriented easily if you're just some rear end in a top hat with a pointy stick.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Character -> Battle Effects. Set Party to Limited so you can see your healers’ bubbles and other friendly AoE spells. Set Others to either Limited or None depending on your preference. I personally play with Others set to Limited as well.

note that if you're photosensitive even other-limited can be a problem during alliance raids; if you know going in that you have photosensitivity problems, definitely pick None for Other.

(Also, if any of you sprouts are photosensitive, there's a main story quest in Stormblood called In Crimson It Began that has a very nasty solo duty in terms of photosensitivity triggers—full-screen strobing to convey frequent lightning, and it continues into the cutscenes. I was taken out for multiple days after pushing through it, so I want anyone else to be able to take precautions with it.)

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

euphronius posted:

When should I start worrying about gear and items in my bags. I’m someone in the mid 30s in the msq.

If you don't do other jobs/crafting? Maybe like... 60+ msq? If not later?

Crafting is the big thing that fills your pockets with crap, since a lot of crafting jobs are interconnected.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be clear I was curious on what job/quest lines in ARR seemed to be more from 1.0! I do know the story picks up a lot post-ARR :D

That being said I'm very much enjoying ARR as it is, so I'm looking forward a lot to HW and onwards. I think I got heavily burnt out years ago on MMORPGs with WoW where it was just rush rush rush do all the quests to get to 90 and then all the raid content for gear to do the raid content and rush rush rush and after having played Everquest before that and tried and bounced off multiple other mmos (EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, etc) I wonder if its like enough years have gone by I'm just ready for a new mmo that actually is also just really good not just on its own merits but also in comparison to all those previous titles.

I miss EVE but I'll never have the schedule ever again to play it the fun way.

Off the top of my head DRG 30-50 is taken directly from 1.0, to the point that video comparisons exist and it makes parts of 2.x's plot Really Weird if you don't do it early enough.

It is very obviously not supposed to be happening concurrently with the rest of ARR, basically.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

All of the job quests canonically take place at the time they release, it's just that only dragoon 30-50 makes it really noticeable when you do it later (the CUL level 50 quest is also super weird of you do it at certain points)

DRG 30-50 straight up does not make sense to happen during ARR given things they wrote later. Not even "Heavensward" later, just... 2.x later. Unless they're telling me at least a year passed between the end of those quests and when Estinien shows up again, a DRG WoL being indifferent to him being there is outright nonsense; they last saw the man having a massive eyeball-induced mental crisis of the sort of scale that you don't get over in a few months.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

EW: It's the Four Fiends, though we only have Barbarccia released right now.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Someone who knows what they're doing in the "worst" class of their group will always be preferred to some chucklefuck who picked up the "best" class an hour ago.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, I have only had to report someone for non-bot reasons once and it was over being wildly transphobic in one of the Thanalan shout chats during a pride parade. I have not seen that character name in ages, so I'm assuming they got hammered for their bullshit.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Keep in mind when talking about the hellcrunch that 3.0 was produced under crunch conditions just like 2.x—it didn't let up until after HW dropped. It just wasn't under the same degree of hell as "making a new MMO in record time while maintaining and adding content to an existing one" that 2.0 was made under.

Anyway I personally noticed an immediate increase in quality at each "reduction of crunch" breakpoint between ARR and HW, everything after that up to where I currently am in early 4.x has been more gradual shifts in how the writing is handled.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

it's definitely possible to do unwinnable fights in a way that doesn't totally suck but I'm utterly unconvinced that FF14 is capable of making them at this point.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The FFXIV bards are very cool and good and more importantly Guydelot and Sanson are very good NPCs that more people should experience

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Titan arc's problems are honestly aggravated by how urgent everything is supposed to be—there are other rough spots like it but it never quite reaches the same combination of "presented as urgent" and "utterly menial fetchquesting that doesn't even hide what it is".

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Corrupted Crystal Hell is also annoying but the framing makes it come off as less memorably dire for most, imo. People remember Cheese Mistake questline because Titan could decide that Limsa goes back to the sea at any moment and the Company of Heroes is still pulling this poo poo, while Corrupted Crystal Hell isn't urgent, just bad because the writers won't let the WoL say what they need so you run in circles for a bit.

Both are symptoms of the devs needing to deliberately waste the player's time during ARR so they had time to add more stuff, though, so I'm not going to say you're wrong for hating either. Deliberately tedious design is still tedious design.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The checkmarks method is also good for listening to podcasts while getting your hellgrind in. :eng101:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Aaaaaay get in the belly

Belly belly belly

Cmon get in the belly

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Dedekind posted:

My favourite part is when they explain to my viera what viera are and how rare they are outside LimsaGolmore.

It's even funnier when you're a male Viera, because they just start calling you a myth to your face.

But the game is kind of bad at accounting for Viera player characters in general, there's a throwaway line in ShB where they explain Viera lifespans to you like you're totally unaware despite being a Viera, and despite it being the expansion Viera were first released as an option in.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

DRK has to be low-tier because you start the questline by killing cops, right?

e: how does Elf Steve's rapturous lust for the right to bear arms come into play here, he comes into conflict with the status quo but he's ultimately down to arm everyone including extant cops

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 19, 2023

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I haven't played reworked HW yet so I can't comment on the new stuff (I was right ahead of the reworks for ARR and HW and so far haven't gotten thrown in Roulette for most new stuff, though the first thing I did after queuing for Roulette as a baby DRK was get extremely disoriented in Smooth Toto-rak) but at least my experience with it is that while the game really hits its stride with design in Stormblood, even before then the complexity ramped up in a really nice way once you escape the training wheels and can do trials, and I'm certain it's been improved even beyond the 2.0 endgame reworks (which I only have a couple quibbles with in terms of what they removed, and am very fond of what was added).

As has been said, core loop never really changes but the nodes you hit to do the loop improve a lot.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

A pair of dialogue choices that both included silence, which he didn't have a different response to from what I can tell. It still functions.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, FFXIV is by design meant to not punish people who play super casually unless you opt into Savage and Ultimate content (where it's more that the fights are complex enough that it takes a lot of practice and coordination to complete). The devs have actually said they expect some portion of people to hop on only for major patches so they design around that.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only really an issue in certain duties when doing solo stuff as healer, and that's because the devs have a thing for making unwinnable fight "gently caress you, lose" triggers linked to enemy HP rather than, like, time and even with the damage boost healer DPSing is just really boring. Thankfully this doesn't come up often, it's just obnoxious when it does.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah the fact that things you need to keep alive in job quests don't get added to your party list is really frustrating (I have failed a duty because I could not physically see that an NPC was dying until he was nearly dead and the enemy healthbars kept getting in the way when I tried to target him), but that's not a general solo duty issue, it's specifically an issue with healer job quests having a weird bad UI oversight.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The trashcan is quite possibly the ugliest piece of equipment in all of ARR, which given the very intense competition for that title is impressive.

e: my migraine-addled brain just now parsed that we might be talking about different items but I stand by my statement and initial read of what item it was if I'm wrong

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2023

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Crafting macros are how most current crafting is done given discussion on some discord servers I'm on. There are even online tools to make the most ideal macro for your current stats, though I don't have a link on hand. Pretty sure they would have cracked down on it if they thought it was cheating at this point.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Theris posted:

Using macros isn't cheating. On combat jobs - aside from a few exceptions like those in the above post - it's literally the opposite of cheating because they're worse than using the skills directly. That's the exception people were taking with the post that suggested using them, not that they're cheating.

I was responding to someone saying that using macros for crafting specifically felt like cheating, it was an attempt at reassurance.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Also, when you start doing more jobs it gets more complex to gear them all up. I haven't personally tried it (my main isn't on a Road to 80 server), but I suspect that exp-wise you could probably get away with juggling three jobs with Road to 80 up, at least until sometime in ShB given that I managed that until mid-Stormblood (I probably could have pushed further with a touch more grinding, but at that point my trials job was DRK and my dungeons job was DRG so it was just annoying to try to keep up with BLM as well).

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

There should be a little pop-up for loot somewhere on your screen when a chest is opened. Click that or the chest and the loot menu opens. (There might be a text command for it, but I at least don't use it.)

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Going blind into dungeons is the intended design decision for the game, and (barring like one or two places where it can be hard to figure out what gently caress-up is leading to you getting punished) it's more enjoyable to just not worry about it and learn on your feet. Sometimes you die and that's ok, I once spent a substantial portion of an alliance raid accidentally RPing a roomba and it just did not matter.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Same, duty support has a lot of good lines and interactions in it. Someday I'll have to go back and do all the newly-added duty support stuff, I was always one patch ahead of where they were adding new stuff so I never saw it naturally until ShB.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It doesn't help that it's probably the worst non-Nier part of the game for Obvious Crossover syndrome—most of the rest of the game can stand on its own without the "oh I recognize that name" neurons firing, but the Ivalice raids basically live and die entirely on Hey It's That Guy energy—and the preexisting characters that show up outside of it are written really strangely inside the bounds of the raids.

I tend to judge it more harshly for the former, since it's at least nominally trying to fit in the setting (unlike Nier, which is for its story flaws at least not trying anything but "we're doing a crossover do you like it") and falls on its face doing so since it has three raids of quests to tell you about an entire chunk of the setting it made up to fit the Ivalice stuff in.

e:f,b

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I am admittedly the target audience for the Nier raids and not the Ivalice ones (though I do have familiarity with Tactics/FF12) but I felt that the "you're not going to have a drat clue what is happening unless you play Nier and Drakengard and you're going to like it" approach just worked better for it overall. I think it helps that IC absolutely nobody understands why anything is happening either, and it doesn't linger much on the crossover things that gently caress off into the void after the raid story wraps up even while the raid story is actually happening. The emotional focus is on your gaggle of functional alcoholic engineers, not the space robots, and while I could see exactly why someone would absolutely hate the Nier raids at every step of the way I felt the approach they took there just worked better for an alliance raid series.

E: Granted, I also just really like the dwarves as a whole and love every second the game puts them on-screen. So I'm even more the target audience than usual.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

God Hole posted:

ah, things are clicking into place

I appreciate the players that will set up elaborate tableaus with those semi-permanent fixtures. there's been a guy standing in a really prominent spot in Uldah since I started last month and a few days ago I was walking by and a group of 4 or 5 players had set their characters up to make it look like he had just committed a murder in the street

We respect the /PlayDead Ul'dah Aetheryte Idler in this house

(Probably not who you're talking about unless you're on Zalera, but I see him every time I use the free teleport from like, Kugane and I appreciate him and all the people playing detective/"oh god there's a murder" around him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The map in this game unfortunately just kind of sucks rear end. It's gets worse once extreme verticality gets more heavily used, though they thankfully realize "oh the map has severe problems with depicting this" by Stormblood in my experience.