Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I will say that if you're looking at this and feeling overwhelmed, you're never gonna see more than like two or maybe three markers in a single fight outside of bespoke hard content, and the game's level progression is designed in a way that new mechanics will be introduced in either a low stakes easy fight or solo instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'll say it.

The gear that drops from the first three dungeons has better coloration than the brand new gear, and you're likely to get most if not all of it for your job on the MSQ from random drops plus the three guaranteed drops as the end of the dungeon. (tanks do not reply + you can glam on the dps set)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

bewilderment posted:

- Eureka, it sucks, I refuse to do it and you can't make me (you won't see this anyway until after Stormblood)

eureka rules, actually, but like everything else in the game you can tackle it at your own pace instead of feeling like you have to rush through the entirety of it in as few days as possible. the content came out over a year and a half period and has weekly quests that let you get nice chunks of exp for a bit of your time.

definitely give it a shot if you've finished stormblood and wanna see what it's about!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

at the end of the dungeon a little notification will pop up (by default on the right side of the screen, where you get the duty pop notification/recommended quests). click on that and it'll open a window that'll let you select a person to commend. can only select one person though.

you can also let them know in chat you had a good time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

at some point (I think in 4.1?) they changed the glamour prism unlock quest from a level 50 quest in revenant's toll to a level 15 quest in central thanalan, from the same npc that you unlock dyes from. you can pick up the quest on any class - the npc also offers a 3rd quest for level 15 crafters to teach them how to craft glamour prisms (finish the quest if you want, but it's generally inefficient to craft prisms from scratch).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tbh it's a lot shorter trek to go from north shroud, hug the left wall through coerthas to mor dhona than the other way to central thanalan.

not that it matters since you will eventually run into the quest as you go through the msq as a matter of course.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The updates to Thornmarch Hard did update the fight in a way that if they ever went back to enable duty support it wouldn't requires as much work as it would have taken to leave it alone until later. The rest of the trials through probably only need a gentle massaging if they wanted to add NPCs to them.

But also, not a priority for the devs at the moment! We'll see what they say in the lead up to 7.0.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my first run of every story dungeon has been with trusts/duty support since they first implemented the system in 5.0. it's handy for not immediately getting the kinda dude who's on their fifth run of the day for glam, or just to take in the environment more.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You know your own tolerance for battle effects, but for me personally fights feel empty without some amount of boom going on, so I typically set party to full and everything outside of that scope to limited or none.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I can't believe YoshiP would do this! www dot shadyl!nk . squareenix. tk

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the game needs a hatless update. I've been saying this

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tying the companion app to your account is free and grants the emote.

for an additional fee you get a retainer, an additional favorite teleport, and some stuff in the app I've never actually heard anyone use

e: the additional teleport is also free. my bad. subbing does get you a second chocobo saddlebag though.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 18, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the thing that surprised me the most when replaying the msq was the cutscene animation wasn't as good as I remembered it. there's some attempts like the shiva vs ravana fight, or the air battle before azys lla where you can tell they were trying some stuff out but not quite there yet. by 3.1 they start getting into a groove but it's still a bit dire before then.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

orcane posted:

But! Absolutely do run them through DF if you want to and know the above caveat. Do not give a gently caress about people getting mad their precious mentor roulette didn't give them a 2 minute guildhest, they know what they signed up for.

It's not even about wasting a clueless mentor's time, more that it's about respecting your own. When the queue pops hours in and you get 6-7 mentors who are weighing their choices on abandoning immediately and maybe one other clueless newbie it's just a worse time than if you throw it up in PF where people are more than willing to jump in on a blind or teaching run.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

next expansion we can call the roulette 9-5

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I was teaching my sprout friend about gearing and where to buy Poetics and stuff, and some jackass lunatic barges in and legitimately suggests using pentamelded IL115 crafted instead of Ironworks???
Even if that is stronger, it'd have to be by like, what, 1%? Not to mention if you get level-synced down it just ignores your materia entirely and gives you stats based off the duty's max item level instead, which would be everything until Snowcloak when they'll have outleveled it all anyway!
Needless to say I chewed him out and shut down any notion that you should go and spend hundreds of thousands of gil on crafted gear and materia melding instead of using the effectively free tomestone gear that's better in at least 99.99% of all situations :nallears:

and then everyone else in chat stood up and clapped

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

not gonna go back and check if someone mentioned it already, but your light gains are affected by exp bonuses, so running the consumable that gives you a eureka exp bonus can make it go a little faster.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

there's a set of challenge logs that dump a good amount of exp on you, so if you're not in a hurry just checking those off every week will eventually get you to cap.

other than that, I think that eureka (and its little brother bozja) are really good sources of poetics if you wanna double up on farming for old cosmetics.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Worst I've heard about the SE app is that it'll force you to log in again if you change networks, which only really affects you if you're on Google Fi or a similar service.

But also, yeah, they started letting players use any generic authenticator app a year or two ago so just use one of those.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

as the amaro's strongest warrior, I've skipped zero cutscenes

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I will say I don't skip cutscenes in sidequests but I've also not retained any information from anything that wasn't part of a chain of them

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Selachian posted:

Any advice to someone who's brand new to Bozja? I headed over there because I eventually want to get one of the Resistance weapons 'cause it looks cool. Is there anything I should do other than run around and bash enemies until the good stuff drops?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You're going to get fragments and stuff from the enemies, that can be exchanged for lost actions. These are generally consumable abilities, although some have no limit, and can be extremely powerful. Use them. There's no point in holding on to them.

Other than that, yeah, farm fates, join CEs, get mettle.

Wanna add onto this a bit.

Without getting too deep into the weeds, natural monsters (lions, snakes, plants and the like) drop fragments, while magitek and robots drop bozjan clusters. You eventually want clusters for various niceties especially if you want to make resistance weapons, but some of the most useful fragment you can get are Fragments of Awakening, which drop from monsters in the second region of Bozjan Southern Front (Old Bozja).

Other than that, I'll let you know that the most annoying step for Resistance Weapons in 2023 is the Delubrum step, which'll be slog if you try to do it by yourself. Keep an eye out for PFs that are running the content, make sure you have Pure Essences stocked for the job you'll be running it on, and it should be a lot less painful.

quick edit: since you said resistance "weapons" once the best things you can do to optimize your time spent is to stack up quests so you can progress them all at the same time. green memories can drop from normal monsters in southern front, and crystal memories can drop from CEs, both of which you'll be farming anyway to get more red/blue/yellow fragments for the first step.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 22, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it'll probably hard cap at 0.1% until the mechanic finishes

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

back when shadowbringers first came out they didn't modify the sets for the new races and their heads were just clipping through the helmets

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

off gcds are for when you feel like taking some time off from your gcd

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

its based

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I will always use duty support if the game offers it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It it always morally correct to call over a few friends to slap around an A rank in an old expansion

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

learning that one of the rare hunt/fate trackers has a special view that shows the actual spawn times before they're widely reported was all I needed to know about the glorious ffxiv hunt community

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

also helps to remember that there's a hard line between what counts as flank and rear at the enemy's intercardinal positions. someone else probably has the image to clarify what I'm saying, but basically you don't have to run alllll the way between the targets rear end and shoulders to execute positionals.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

tank responsibilities mostly amount to running a couple cooldowns on trash pulls and, in harder content, running cooldowns according to a schedule and knowing when to swap agro with your partner. boss positioning kinda matters but I think of it like how dps standing on the right places so they don't clip each other with attacks or whatever also matters.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the one change I'd like to see to hitboxes is to have thin lines at their rear intercards drawn in from the outer edge towards the center, to help guide people into hitting their positionals from closer in the boss's hitbox.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

derra posted:

The training fight in the preceeding dungeon actually has it now! It's actually preparation for the fight and not completely unrelated mechanics!

Also has anyone else run Aetherochem since the patch? I got it in roulettes and actually wiped on the last boss once, so I brought in my free trial sprout friends to see if they could manage it (they had just completed 3.3). Wiped a lot even with callouts (had about 30 left on the timer when we cleared it). Really seems out of depth for the MSQ overall.

it's really funny how the boss to aetherochemical research facility is like that now when the trial that follows it is still as clownshoes as it was prepatch.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd assumed they'd rework the fight like they did with Ultima Weapon but since they didn't, I'm gonna guess that they're saving it for if/when they get around to adding duty support to post-2.0 trials.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I can fool myself into thinking it works in the context of the dumb old man doesn't really have a grasp on the eye's power and ends up getting positively spanked pretty quickly

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

only problem with summoner is it can feel slow and plodding up until you're almost done leveling to 90, but they do seed in the flashing lights and sounds over time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I afk at the beginning of an expansion with intent to come back and continue the msq after a nap

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

on my ff11 server there used to be like ten or fifteen characters idling around a fountain, all with daikon in their name, at all times of day.

stellar stuff, really. more people should do that.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you're playing the free trial and are jonesing to buy in, or if you've recently come back but haven't picked up Endwalker, the game and expansions are currently 50% off for non-steam PC/Mac versions on the SE store.

NA: https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/hub/ffxiv-online
EU: https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/hub/final-fantasy-xiv-online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it varies from piece to piece but I find the pearl white dye from restoration/island vendors gets me the whiteness I want at a much cheaper price.