Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ceruleum fracking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I did it less than a year ago and had no problems. Enjoy ARR Alisaie's awful voice acting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I give my comm to the person who I thought played the best, unless they're a mentor in which case they don't need it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Britain is still there. And still stealing everybody's artifacts.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

and if the ranged DPS aren't using LB on trash packs, it becomes another tank cooldown

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's the etiquette on this? Like will people get mad cause they wanted to save it for the boss?

If you're ranged or caster, you should always LB a trash pack. If a melee bitches at you about not saving it for them to use on a boss' last sliver of health, they are bad at the game and all of their opinions should be disregarded. And if there are no ranged DPS, frankly I'd rather a melee use it to delete the biggest mob in a pack. Or use it in the middle of a boss fight, not at the end, so you get the full effect.

Like I'm sure good etiquette is to talk to your party about it, but if you're playing with people you don't know, the LB in a dungeon belongs to the first person to press the button. In raids and trials it's sometimes required for a mechanic, and if nothing else, I've seen many raids saved by a healer LB3 so I just leave it for them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most of my comms are for saying gg at the end of Frontline matches, or pity comms after a miserable raid. I never get one when I think I actually deserve it so it's best not to think about it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

My god tanking is stressful. :catstare:

I have tank stance on and I'm bonking enemies to try to keep them on me, I'm not sure how Provoke works, but I try to weave between my rotation and my AoE, but I'm like not sure if I'm doing a good job. I'm just trying to do what I saw other tanks do which is run past enemies, hitting at least one of them, and pulling like 2-3 groups.

I am getting commendations though, that's reassuring.

Sometimes my health bar gets dangerously low and I'm just nervously looking at the healer :sweatdrop:

If you have 2+ enemies, just use your aoe. The single target combo should never be used on a pack. Provoke puts you at the top of the targeted enemy's enmity list, though you'll lose that aggro if you do not then damage that enemy. In a dungeon, you'd only need provoke if you miss one of the enemies (it will have a green dot instead of a red one next to its name). Provoke is mainly used for tank swaps and add phases that are needed in some raids and trials, so it should never be used as part of a rotation. You should almost never need it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I notice far too many healers try to keep my health topped up :(

Nooo let me use Bloodwhetting

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In two years I've encountered three people who said or did something that I felt was reportable (not counting all the gil seller spam)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Another fun benefit of doing the Four Lords trial series is that it can give you more dialog options in holiday events and some other places any time you meet a talking animal

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think every job should have a complete kit at level 50 and it should just be potency upgrades after that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I usually remember the character/event but not their name during those callbacks. I'm bad with names. The WoL at least has the excuse of getting hit in the head a lot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dareon posted:

There's a moment in Heavensward where a moogle asks if you remember them. This moogle has no defining features whatsoever. Fortunately the other names you're given as options are all moogles that do have defining features, so it's a process of elimination.

I guessed wrong, and the moogle was sad.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quiggy posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes it so bad? I wasn't a big fan of the HW WHM plotline but I definitely wouldn't dunk on it as hard as y'all do the PLD one.

The villain is an idiot who wants something dumb and then it just ends

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I liked Gunbreakers little story

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Algid posted:

I saw it a couple of times, one time on a dude with necromancer and a ultimate sword/shield combo from 2 different trials. Just imagine what their /playtime is ...

the canon WoL

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GilliamYaeger posted:

Re: Retainer vocations. One gatherer, one combat class. Which ones don't matter as long as you have one of each.

Pick jobs you're leveling, so you can hand them down gear. The retainer's gear does affect what ventures they can do and the rewards they get

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they're French Catholics

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

The important thing about that boss is that the Zu doesn't care about the hatchlings, just the eggs, and it's pretty manageable to just kill the hatchlings as they show up, so just let the eggs hatch and deal with the adds as they come. The real issue is errant AOE, especially on classes like DNC where it's core to the rotation. Having a DNC on that boss sounds like the nightmare scenario, really.

A dancer standing in the dead center pixel of the arena won't hit the eggs. Good luck.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Your first retainer should be a combat job, ideally the one you consider your "main," so you can hand down your used gear to it. The retainer won't out-level you, but if constantly send it on ventures it should match your level pretty quickly. And then a gathering for the other retainer.

Go ahead and sell old materia, there's basically no reason to meld gear below max level (some of the crafter and relic weapon quests will ask you to meld stuff, but if you do those you can just buy what you need when the time comes).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You should level at least one crafter and gatherer job even if you're not into those things. It's pretty easy to do. Besides getting a retainer to level, you'll be able to meld your own materia, repair your own gear, do the tribal quests for those disciplines

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

Which is hilarious, because it explains both the Sultansworn, who don't believe for a moment that you're actually the one who did it, and the Brass Blades, who aren't being paid nearly enough to try to arrest someone who 4v1'd 1v1'd Ultima Weapon.

Another thing to remember with the Brass Blades is that Y'shtola probably killed a ton of them when she collapsed that tunnel while Yda and Papalymo obliterated a hallway full of them, so they got a really good lesson on not loving with Scions

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You also miss out on a huge amount of story by not leveling jobs. Each job has its own story (which range from very good to very bad) up to level 70 (+an 80 quest) and then Shadowbringers and Endwalker have very good role quests that you'd need at least one tank, healer, etc to experience.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

aggro war is how you make old alliance raids fun

round and round the Mainyu spins

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

After a month straight of Dun Scaiths, I didn't see a single wipe. Deathgaze was only killing 2-3 people in most runs and sometimes not even that many. Diabolos on the other hand still turns into chaos when people put the gaze stacks in bad places, run a ball into the crowd, or run into the red orbs

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Selachian posted:

Plus the non-tanks who think they're helping when they run into the center meteor circle. (Only tanks can catch that one, everyone else who tries it dies instantly.)

Not true! I saw a reaper survive it once. Probably with some healer shielding. He probably saved us from a wipe that run because no one else was in the center meteor circle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's a level 50 "8 person" map that, since it only has overworld enemies and no dungeon portal, is easily solo-able at 90. It has a low, but not unreasonably low, chance of dropping a few materials that are worth a lot more than the map. Not bad as far as gambling goes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I skipped most of the monk cutscenes between 30 and 50. It did get better after that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I never skipped the Paladin cutscenes because I was warned they would be terrible and wanted to experience it. I still wasn't sure exactly what was going on until I read about it later.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

little Ramza might be the most punchable character in the game who isn't a villain

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

Unless it has "Savage", "Extreme", "The Minstrel's Ballad" (or "The Binding Coils") in the name, you can queue into it on duty finder without knowing anything about it and you'll be basically fine.

And once you get to SB and ShB normal raids, you'll give 7 people in raid roulette a more fun time than the a1n and a2n that are the bare minimum many people do to unlock the roulette.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

I do wonder if they’ll nerf EW’s first alliance raid eventually, since that also is one of the few with a mechanic that can wipe everyone if one person is in the wrong spot.

I think it does have enough leeway for 2-3 people to be on the wrong side? Could be wrong.

I have seen it below 10% hp going into that mechanic, though, so I wonder if groups will start skipping it once we have the final ilevel Endwalker gear.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I love all the bosses in that raid. All three of the Ivalice raids have the best boss voice acting.

Scream louder! I want to remember this!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

There's at least one scholar job quest where you fail if you don't esuna a debuff on an ally which is some real bullshit.

One of the AST duties was like this too. And you can't see the debuffs unless you actually target the ally, just focus targeting them isn't enough.

I did almost all the MSQ duties on Warrior and most of them were pretty easy. Tank jobs are easy mode for FATEs solo out in the world, too, since you can just pull everything

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And here I just click the sprint button

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I spent $15 on Lyse's hair to get a ponytail big enough to not (as badly) clip through (some) collars

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

God Hole posted:

So this is my first "new" FF since FFX, which I'm realizing was over 20 years ago lmao. this also my first mmorpg

and goddamn I'm hooked. I'm a lvl 21 tank and about to start the first dungeon, which I'm a little apprehensive about cuz I let my npc party members die about 4 times on the last stage of the hall of the novice.

though I think that's mainly because I'm having a hard time with the targeting system with a gamepad. I try to move freely around the battlefield during a fight but my character keeps locking on to the nearest enemy rather than the one I want to (or I don't want to lock on at all), so I start strafing instead of running and the camera stops responding so readily. Does anyone have any tips for moving around a bit easier during battle? I feel like that's been my largest hindrance toward gaining control of the battlefield and directing enmity toward myself.

btw anybody here on Exodus? I like the idea of joining a goon FC or even just chillin, but it doesn't look like Excalibur is gonna open anytime soon

Turn your tank stance on when you enter the dungeon (it will be off by default anytime your level is synced) and hit every enemy with your aoe, unless there is only one enemy, then you just face it away from the party and press 1-2-3. That's all there is to tanking at level 20.

Later on you get damage mitigation buttons to use and you should cycle through them when fighting groups since packs of small enemies hurt a lot. Players generally expect dungeons to be speedrun, and when you're new you can take it slow but you'll gradually get comfortable with pulling more and going faster, because if you use the mitigations properly you can take way more damage than you think

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

People get confused because there are two different kinds of slow- movement slow and attack slow, and Arm's Length only does the latter. Also most bosses past level 40ish are immune to those kinds of debuffs, but you want to use it on packs anyway (or for its other function, to negate knockbacks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just go in blind to dungeons. I do new ones with the Trusts the first time because it feels story-appropriate to me but you don't have to do that. Dungeons are easy content, and while it felt to me like they started turning up the complexity of them from level 70+, you'll get better at the same rate so it works.