Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Also 1-30 is the most boring part of leveling an alt job, especially just getting to having roulette access in the first place, so even a marginal increase in leveling speed is huge QoL.

This. Getting through 1-15 without MSQ making GBS threads EXP at you when leveling ARR alt classes is the worst. Hunting logs aren’t actually fun, at least to me. A 30% boost helps! There’s no reason to assume someone has a Road to 80 buff up because that assumes that they actually chose a new/preferred world when creating their character and that they’re still in the initial three months.

I can normally get at 173% buff to EXP 1-29 and a 143% buff 30-79, but that’s also with the preorder earring and a free company who always has Heat of Battle II up. A 133% buff is better than a 103% buff.

And that’s assuming armory bonus, of course. Which you don’t have for your first job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

The most immersive experience, from a normal JRPG perspective, is clearing out every single quest when you enter a new area. It is most in-charater for your adventurer protagonist.
I've heard a couple people here playing it like that and more power to them.

The ring is really nice but otherwise agreed on Hall of Novice.

This is what I’ve always done. I like the immersion of doing things while I’m there.

That said there were several times I’ve gone “gently caress that I’m done with this zone” and just went and finished off the MSQ.

…….the sidequest markers haunt me to this day.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You’re just getting too far from their spawn. Mobs will only go so far before they say gently caress this and go back. When solo, just blast them point blank.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Generally speaking, there’s not much point to fighting overworld mobs in the first place except for four conditions (and one of them is endgame): you’re doing a hunting log for early exp/Grand Company promotion, a quest wants you to, it’s a FATE, or you’re in a hunt train and tagging marks. The average mob is worth such measly exp for time and has such a short tether that you’re best off just running through.

Best yet, running through on a mount which insures you’re running faster than the monster. They can’t knock you off of mounts.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

Alisaie isn't my favorite scion but she's a goodun

:same:

My personal favorite other than someone who comes in quite late is actually Urianger. Love that nerd. But Alisaie is up there.

I don’t really dislike any Scion? The one that comes the closest for me is Y’shtola because I find her very undeveloped.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m lazy and do “o/“ and “gg”. Maybe a suspicious “enjoy your cutscenes :)” if I roll two specific duties and there’s sprouts.

I do comm every time I can though. I on DPS, I tend towards MT, then healer if the tank or party needed a lot of healing and they kept up well (or as well as could be expected), and finally other DPS if I’m just “take a good look at those morons” re: the tanks and healers. If I’m healing, same priority. If I’m tanking, healers first, then which ever tank I wasn’t.

This is less a formula and more how my general feelings of thanks tend to form organically.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

i got told my glam was cute once but don't think I've gotten anything else

Same, and again as Generic Fem Au Ra #198478401 and Yet Another Bnnuy Boi With That Hairstyle.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vitamean posted:

at some point (I think in 4.1?) they changed the glamour prism unlock quest from a level 50 quest in revenant's toll to a level 15 quest in central thanalan, from the same npc that you unlock dyes from. you can pick up the quest on any class - the npc also offers a 3rd quest for level 15 crafters to teach them how to craft glamour prisms (finish the quest if you want, but it's generally inefficient to craft prisms from scratch).

Unfortunately you also have to do that quest in order to buy the Emperor's New [Blank] items so it is, in fact, essential. :negative:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Most jobs have a rough cap of 32 actions, including role actions, because that’s the number a controller player can easily use. Some slam right up against it, some don’t even come close to it. Warrior is in the middle iirc.

That said you can access a maximum of 48 actions easily on controller, though no job has that many.

I play controller and can fit everything into 32 actions normally, though I did have to exclude one kinda pointless Paladin action from my hotbars. The use case for the action is “very, very rarely, in high end content” though and I never play Paladin in high end content.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 30, 2022

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

At level 80 (excluding one of the two fairy summon buttons you get), Scholar already has like 34 buttons. And I know there's at least two more coming between 80-90. Some classes are definitely more button-bloaty than others. I pretty much refuse to use more than 32 for combat on controller, as I do not trust using the RT-->LT and LT-->RT options in the heat of combat (also that's where I put my teleporting and mount/minion summoning and aether compass stuff).

Lol I’m the opposite. I’m poo poo at double tapping successfully so my second set is the RT -> LT and LT -> RT ones. My teleporting and mount and aether compass and quick class changes are on the double tap ones instead.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Flair posted:

By singleplayer, I mean on a free trial, not talking to anyone or forming parties with any human player.

I mean that’s what Duty Finder is for. You can’t make a premade party on the Free Trial, but you can still hop into Duty Finder for the required 8 man trials and 24 man Alliance Raids.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I do my first runs with Duty Support for the fiction of doing stuff with my in universe friends, but I don’t do it outside of it.

e:
Also I doubt they’d ever get rid of the very first Alliance Raid in the game? A feature that’s in every expansion?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Generally speaking, all of the NPCs can rez for one lore reason or another (iirc Thancred uses Phoenix Downs even) to try and mitigate this. But if they all bite it and the player isn’t a healer/SMN/RDM, then they do get in an unwinable state.

That said I’ve personally never had an AI party member die, just myself because lol Black Mage. It does suck to get kicked back to the checkpoint if the player bites it, though it does enable me to learn fights without having to be embarrassed about floor tanking until I learn what the hell is going on.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

Catboys have a gremlin squat as one of their emotes (I don't remember which one), maybe they were talking about that?

It’s one of their /sit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Who knows, FFXI got 5 expansions, 2 add-ons, and a free plot update, but FFXI and FFXIV were both made during very different times and were different levels of successes.

The fact they’ve planned out at least another decade, have added PS5 support, and are planning on retiring PS4 support does suggest another 3-5 expansions though, yes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Best way to lower battle effects, please.

It is.....difficult, to say the least, to parse anything in an alliance raid.

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Character -> Battle Effects. Set Party to Limited so you can see your healers’ bubbles and other friendly AoE spells. Set Others to either Limited or None depending on your preference. I personally play with Others set to Limited as well.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You get a couple of tiny bits of dialog later on acknowledging you did it. That’s about it. The gear is all long since outdated.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I also prefer the fantasy of a very cool archer over a bard, but on the other hand Bard gave us Guydelot and Sanson so who can say if it’s bad or not.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean I’m the same but in reverse, my girl is a caster only and I’ve only leveled PLD, SAM, and BRD on her for my ability to do role quests and consider them “noncanon”.

With the exception of 50-70 BRD which I went “uhhhhhh Vorsaile asked E-Sumi for a conjurer under the table to keep Sanson alive and E-Sumi recommended someone who has left the guild (because my WoL was now a White Mage) so she did all those quests as a White Mage”. I had no choice because I love BRD 50-70 a lot.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/northswain/status/1588135363624652806?s=46&t=cM-cQWHNrT_AP1krm1AjQA

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CodfishCartographer posted:

Some of the tanks have a ton of buttons, particularly Paladin - though it has a few borderline-useless skills that could be shaved off and might be able to fit. Its core rotation is also not a shitton of buttons, so I imagine most of the important tools could be placed on comfortable hotbar spots.

My PLD hotbars have everything except Shield Bash on them, and I could get Shield Bash in if I didn't have my third hotbar set up with cross-class utility.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

goblin week posted:

Why are command squadrons so much more braindead than duty support oh my cod

Because Trusts have custom programming for each dungeon and squadrons are older and uh. Do not.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Titan pissed me off more because it was longer. They actually cut out some of the crystal quests in 5.3, which is the version I played, but Titan is intact.

To the point that when wine quest came up again I despaired. I think it was supposed to be “haha remember this thing everyone hates” but it just was triggering.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’ve seen folks saying the Authenticator for iOS is broken now and should be avoided. Is this the case?

I literally just used it to log in so I have no clue what they’re talking about.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

goblin week posted:

holy poo poo, post-ARR is talky.

I'm not even at Leviathan yet but it's got more dubbed dialogue than the entirety of ARR.

The number of voice acted lines goes up exponentially as the game progresses.

Thankfully, the quality also goes up exponentially as the game progresses once they switch to the London cast in Heavensward. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

The only thing that will turn my tank stance off in rando content is the cold embrace of death.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

It's even funnier when you're a male Viera, because they just start calling you a myth to your face.

But the game is kind of bad at accounting for Viera player characters in general, there's a throwaway line in ShB where they explain Viera lifespans to you like you're totally unaware despite being a Viera, and despite it being the expansion Viera were first released as an option in.

Ok, now imagine being a male Rava who you headcanon is from Golmore specifically…

(tbf my boy has a reason to go “oh wow yeah I guess you need someone from Golmore I wouldn’t know I was just a city boy in Rabanstre”. But still.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

I kinda disagree on GLD/PLD, the quest NPCs sure but not the WoL themselves. The WoL is a pitfighter who gets roped into increasingly dumb bullshit against their will.

To the point you go back to pitfighting because screw this bullshit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, with the launch of Heavensward they switched to a British studio for all their VA work instead of using the California firm they had been working with. Probably because the close proximity to the EU let them handle all the non-Japanese language tracks with the same management staff. They've got people from various parts of England representing the different nations of Eorzea and in Shb they even brought in some Icelandic voice actors to do an exotic community.

Also Norwegian for another exotic group of people in ShB, and then various SE Asian people for a third group of exotic people in Endwalker.

Which can be kinda funny when it comes to minor throwaway characters or crowd murmuring scenes in Thavnair because you’ll have a lot of Indian actors doing Indian accents and then you’ll get someone from the normal bank of throwaway NPC actors with a normal English accent because for some reason they didn’t want the Englishmen putting on Indian accents. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FeatherFloat posted:

They've since toned down the mechanics so that one or two people not getting on the spot/getting off the spot will kill the poo poo out of everyone, which is probably for the best. It's still a very exciting fight, just not as rear end-clenching as it once was.

I do wonder if they’ll nerf EW’s first alliance raid eventually, since that also is one of the few with a mechanic that can wipe everyone if one person is in the wrong spot.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gearing is only a thing if you want to do endgame non-MSQ or otherwise story relevant optional hard content, which not everyone does.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dareon posted:

That does answer a question I'd mostly answered for myself already, how effective I could be as a WHM if I stuck to wand and shield. The most powerful wand available is from an EX primal, so effectiveness would seriously fall off even two dungeons into HW, and beyond that people would start yelling.

There is one completely optional lategame exception for an extremely minor gain in defense:

Bojza

Because Bojza syncs gear to set stats, BLM and WHM can walk in with wand and shield and get a minor improvement over people using the weapons you would actually expect at that level by being able to block.

This is incredibly not important or necessary.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

You're not a tank main until you've donned the trashcan.

The trashcan gets rid of both my lizard’s horns and my bnnuy’s ears, so I refuse. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

The trashcan removes all head and neck movement from your animations, which makes certain emotes extremely hilarious.

https://twitter.com/lykkedibeppo/status/1623109662936817664?s=46&t=gDC8VHpG44G6uAv0lAkEOw

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just wanna say that combat macros almost always suck because you cannot clip/precast them and is noticeably worse on poor latency!

This. Also sometimes you need to heal not the tank!

That said if you're just healing dungeons I guess it doesn't matter that much.

I'm a controller player and personally have not had too much trouble just rapidly D-pad down-ing but I agree its awkward if you also need to move. Then again, I'm a BLM main so I'm used to planting my feet.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MCH being so much on the GCD is screwing me up as I'm starting to level it. Like, I cannot figure out when the hell to shoot off Hot Shot on my own without looking it up.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If you’re using a controller, Legacy movement is a much better option. It makes movement like most 3D console video games (move in 360 degrees with left stick, move camera with right stick). To lock on without making yourself strafe, use the right and left D-pad to cycle enemies and then hit A/X. To cycle through party members, use up and down.

I recommend turning on the auto target and turning off “maintain camera distance” if using Legacy movement.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah it’s “non-optimal”, but I like doing my first run of MSQ dungeons as maximum story.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My bun is Literally from Rabanastre and even I do not enjoy the plot for the raids. Mostly because having not played FFT or FFXII the plot is just completely obtuse to me, and the personality of FFXIV Razma is not exactly endearing. I have a bit of a soft spot for Mikoto because she’s my Au Ra’s NPC twin, but then Bojza kinda ruined that for me so…

I also don’t know how I feel about Nier to the point of not being able to decide if I think my WoLs canonically did it or not, mostly because I’m not entirely sure if it’s canon to FFXIV or not. Realistically the answer is yes, but it feels so aggressively in its own little continuity bubble. But in some ways I almost prefer that to Ivalice, where it just feels awkwardly shoved into the world of FFXIV wholesale from its home game with very few adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CT is also largely lifted wholesale from FFIII’s backstory, it’s just that it’s much more throughly integrated into FFXIV’s own unique backstory which makes the references cute instead of “I understand nothing that’s happening because I never played these games”.

Well, and also G’raha Tia is a much more enjoyable raid protagonist than Ramza bas Lexentale.