Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

So this is my first "new" FF since FFX, which I'm realizing was over 20 years ago lmao. this also my first mmorpg

and goddamn I'm hooked. I'm a lvl 21 tank and about to start the first dungeon, which I'm a little apprehensive about cuz I let my npc party members die about 4 times on the last stage of the hall of the novice.

though I think that's mainly because I'm having a hard time with the targeting system with a gamepad. I try to move freely around the battlefield during a fight but my character keeps locking on to the nearest enemy rather than the one I want to (or I don't want to lock on at all), so I start strafing instead of running and the camera stops responding so readily. Does anyone have any tips for moving around a bit easier during battle? I feel like that's been my largest hindrance toward gaining control of the battlefield and directing enmity toward myself.

btw anybody here on Exodus? I like the idea of joining a goon FC or even just chillin, but it doesn't look like Excalibur is gonna open anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

really appreciate the unbelievable amount of advice everyone gave! I took it all to heart and really dialed a bunch of things in, combat is feeling a lot more crisp now

Sastasha went off without a hitch but holy poo poo everyone is so fast. my DPS guys were way out ahead of me in the saloon? room pulling in groups of enemies. I took in pretty much none of what little story beats were there, but it was a blast.

I'm assuming most dungeons are gonna be like that through duty finder. is it ever worth doing dungeons solo just to take in some of the puzzle-solving or story elements or are they all gonna be that shallow?

I also assumed I'd be able to claim all my loot at the end but it looks like I missed out on that lol in fact I missed both the prompts that explain the need/greed thing and giving commendations

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

and you access the loot menu through the chatbox?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

what's a hunt train? I'd like to avoid stepping on that rake for now

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bewilderment posted:

You will also recognise them occasionally in the wild if you see a bunch of people goofing off on the fanciest mounts they own as they prep to all rush to the next hunt target.

Here's some cute art of what it looks like to see one go by.

this game are sick

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

not sure about other goons but for now I'm in Exodus and it's not too bad. people are friendly enough, busy areas are pretty much always packed with people and the queues aren't too bad. I haven't gotten through my free trial period yet so I couldn't comment as to the wider community and FCs and all that

Could someone explain to me how POTD works? Do I only have to go through the first 50 floors once to unlock the higher levels for other classes or do I need to run through all the floors with all of my classes at least once? how long would that run take btw

this is pretty much the best option for leveling alt classes right?

God Hole fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 19, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I got to the end of ARR and wow... what a string of boss battles to close things out. I haven't felt some of those feelings since like... the 90's fighting Sephiroth lol it all seemed to come together pretty perfectly, as I had only just gotten comfortable enough with the combat mechanics and my rotations in time to be able to handle and actually enjoy those long solo fights.

I'm thinking now is the time to grind some alt jobs and the crafting classes while I still have the free trial. I got my thaumaturge up to lvl 15 but it wasn't really hooking me. I've found that I have a lot more fun when I'm staring at a bunch of flashing lights where my character should be rather than running around the edges of the arena and casting one thing at a time. do the caster and healer jobs become more "rewarding" with that in mind? I'm afraid I might just dislike the fundamentals of those class/job and leveling them up would just be a waste of time.

I've been having a good time tanking with my paladin so far, but I've recently graduated a ninja and I am loving how snappy and involved it is. would I likely get a lot out a dark knight or gunbreaker?

I'm probably overthinking this

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

oh I am doing all that stuff too!

btw do the early level side quests eventually go away as you get deeper into the game? or am I going to be playing through like endwalker and still staring at oceans of level 1 50 exp side quest exclamation points in the major cities

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

iPodschun posted:

Being able to try things out and knowing your preferences is a good thing. I started as Pugilist-Monk and that was fine but then I switched to Lancer-Dragoon because... I wanted to look like Kain from FF4. Go ahead and try different jobs and ask questions here.

Also overthinking is a common MMO player trait so you're doing just fine.

This is a weird choice to me because Bard only having two songs at level 50 makes it feel so awful to play imo

thanks, that's reassuring. I'm really digging how great this community is in general. also that's def valid, Kain is dope.

Feldegast42 posted:

I generally only do side quests if I really like the area or find them interesting -- doing them all aright away grinds MSQ'ing to a halt.

yeah this has generally been my way of going about things. it pays off sometimes too, I stopped in Bronze Lake for some reason while I was in the middle of the Hildibrand SQ and decided to do a random SQ while I was there, so I inadvertently ended up giving Godbert two unrelated deep tissue massages in the span of about 5 minutes

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so uh what's going on with those clearly high-level players that stand around in the same spot for days/weeks at a time? there are some in every major city

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ah, things are clicking into place

I appreciate the players that will set up elaborate tableaus with those semi-permanent fixtures. there's been a guy standing in a really prominent spot in Uldah since I started last month and a few days ago I was walking by and a group of 4 or 5 players had set their characters up to make it look like he had just committed a murder in the street

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

man crafting is gonna be a complete nightmare for my inventory huh

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Best advice I can give there is, wait until you unlock flying in ARR at the end of 2.0 before diving deep into DoH/DoL jobs, just to make gathering a lot less of a pain. Until you hit max level on your crafters, there's almost no resources that are a huge effort to collect, so don't be afraid to vend excess materials, unless you expect to use them again very soon.

okay this ended up being the key to my success in leveling. I think I gotta get out of that old-school hoarding mindset, where I go into that final boss with an inventory full of 75 elixirs and tons of useless poo poo I never needed like 99 bat wings etc.. this doesn't seem to be that type of game

I've been making use of my chocobo saddlebag but unfortunately free trial players don't have access to retainers (or chat, the market board, or joining free companies). small tradeoffs. I'm not finding myself needing those things at the moment. I got invited onto the novice network though, which has been a nice resource. a dude made a racist (and kinda pedo?) joke in chat today and got booted immediately, which is always good to see

I take back what I said about thaumaturges. I'm up to level 50 now and I am really enjoying making things go boom and flying around wearing a pointy hat and also my chocobo is wearing a pointy hat. The story is metal as hell too, please give me more yawning abyss. much better than thief's. Who decided to make thief the cops? why are we not sneaking into enemy compounds and stealing arms shipments or something? Oboro has been a welcome change

I thought I was going to hate the Paladin questline when I met Jenlyns. I was like "great I get to spend however many levels taking lessons from this sycophant? this... dork??" and then he immediately betrays me lmao and also by the way he's been a useful idiot for the cartel this whole time. that storyline has really kept me on my toes.

I had the biggest grin on my face all throughout the Moogle King fight

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

well the fandom ffxiv wiki (first result on google) for Y'shtola has a ridiculous rear end spoiler right at the top of the page next to her name.

like you just google "Y'shtola" and automatically get spoilered without clicking any links. wtf

God Hole fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 24, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Relyssa posted:

the only thing you need to know about y'shtola is that she is cool and good and my friend

this was all I wanted to know :(

Vitamean posted:

it's like googling a character name and seeing the top result start with "Glupp Shitto was" like yeah it sucks to learn that your most beloved character dies but does it matter? You don't know the context or when it happens, so whatever.

I've started playing through AI Nirvana Initiative and seen a couple spoilery art pieces on Twitter but it's more now that I'm interested in learning how those characters end up in that situation.

I was mostly upset at the prospect that wider story implications would be ruined by the revelation like I would've preferred not to know that time travel or alternate dimensions were major plot beats but apparently that's not something I have to worry about too much

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

WrightOfWay posted:

If it makes you feel better that's not what that is talking about. She just uses Matoya's name as a pseudonym for a bit. It's not a major revelation or anything.

lmao just another day of making myself mad over nothing on the internet

idk I'm not a purist or anything but I read game of thrones over the course of like 5 years and oftentimes a character wouldn't make an appearance for hundreds and hundreds of pages, years in my time, and I never had a problem with spoilers while looking up their arc from a previous installment to refresh my memory. I think that's how it should be with any piece of long-running media... of course how it should be and how it is are two very different things

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Like Clockwork posted:

Tsuyu arc is the worst msq writing in the entire game, prove me wrong

"in darkness blooms the spider lily" is a cold rear end line and I am never going to forget it. that;s good writing imo

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

man I am not a fan of the ShB master role quest being locked behind a bunch of old ARR and HW Extremes. No one in my FC wants to run that old content and it seems like the only people who are going to join a PF ad for those trials (after several hours of wait times sometimes) are the ones who need to be taught the fundamentals of their job in addition to the mechanics of the fight. I'm hitting a brick wall here

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Oh crap that counts? I had no idea lol

you just made my day

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

oh I just blasted through all of them in 30 minutes, didn't encounter any issues with Bismarck as a lvl90 fun breaker but I did notice the two serpent adds seemed invulnerable for a bit before they eventually went down. Probably helped that I got one to like 1% before they came together

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Endorph posted:

this whole conversation is a mindfuck because level 37 warrior marauder sprouts who are still wearing the Brand New gear double pull, in my experience

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Could someone repost that Blue Mage effort post about getting started with the job? I'm having a hard time locating it

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

this is good stuff, much appreciated!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I feel like using both a GCD and an oGCD just to maintain aggro on a couple enemies wastes valuable MP/DoTs that would better be served using on the entire pack when they're all grouped up

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BlazetheInferno posted:

I honestly delight in simply observing their behavior and what sort of moves and attacks they use, as a lot of them have interesting quirks and abilities that the players don't get, or just little behavioral quirks that work with their personality. Minor spoilers below for various characters who appear in Duty Support mode in Shadowbringers.

For example, if both Alphinaud and Alisaie are present, Alphinaud will prioritize healing a low-health Alisaie over anyone else - even the player or the tank. Alisaie herself is the single most Limit-Break-thirsty NPC in the game, and will frequently snatch it up within seconds of it becoming available, if it's even remotely safe to do so (though will wait for LB2 when it's an option). Some characters will defer the limit break to the player if they are DPS, but Alisaie is one of those NPCs that you will need to race to that button. Meanwhile, various characters have unique class variants, like Alphinaud's Academician working like a Scholar that doesn't have a Fairy, instead keeping his Carbuncle that functions like they did before Endwalker, as a persistent pet that adds a bit of extra damage; his heals are stronger than normal to make up for the lack of fairy healing. Or Y'shtola, who has her own unique damage rotation going through all six elements, instead of only the ones used by White or Black Mages. Urianger has a unique trick or two his own as well, occasionally targeting a low health enemy with "Death of the Seventh Dawn" to instantly finish them off - and honestly, he has my favorite voice clip of his attached to that spell as well. "All that I have and more I bring to bear!"

leveling a healer alt through ShB I noticed Ryne is often the one character who will consistently stand in an avoidable mechanic when it goes off. she never dies to it, so I think she only does it when she's near full health, but I thought it was a nice touch if it was intentional; she's still new to this and can't quite read the tells that the rest of the team can. I noticed the first time through Dohn Mheg that she was standing off doing nothing during the second boss' 1st Growing phase and left her tether unattended. She got it every time after that, though.

Obviously her and Thancred don't have access to the full NIN and GNB toolkits. I never noticed it myself but I think someone here mentioned that Thancred is capable of using more of his toolkit when they're both on the team together owing to the fact that Ryne primes Thancred's aether cartridges for him

It seems like after ARR or HW all the DS tanks have an invuln or an otherwise really nice defensive mit that they can use at least once per mob pull.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

That Little Demon posted:

like look at how big all of the text is here, its terrible

I reclaimed a lot of my screen's real estate by turning off titles and pets' nameplates if you don't want to turn off all nameplates completely. That'd solve like 75% of the clutter in that image alone

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Picayune posted:

Ha ha, yeah, I spent a good fifteen minutes scrolling through and cashing those out once I realized they existed. Mostly goofy-rear end ARR prestige gear, but hey, I'll take it.

There's also a guy named Jonathas in Gridania that people should go talk to. He's up near that little lake thing. He gives you a special coin for every achievement you've got, and you can turn right around and spend them at his shop to get mounts and things.

and by about Heavensward you'll have enough to buy out Jonathas' whole shop and then you just accumulate coins forever after that

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Have all the adjustments made the jobs play differently now when synced down compared to when 50/60/70 were level cap?
going through the msq for the first time this year, I remember thinking - did PLD mains have to wait like half a decade for the expansion that gave them a complete toolkit?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

appreciate the input on how jobs have evolved over the years! guess I shouldn't get too attached to my faves

Some people in my FC were talking about having a blast in Eureka Orthos. Is it worth completing POTD and HOH to get there?

I've had truly awful PF experiences trying to clear floor 50 of POTD. I made three attempts and all three times the party disbanded on floor 30 leaving me discouraged and alone with a daunting task ahead of me or an impossible queue to form a new party

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Vitamean posted:

The big difference you see in Eureka Orthos is how trash becomes much more dangerous much sooner than they did in the prior two. The auto attack damage they deal is way more manageable, but the tradeoff is their avoidable attacks are deadly or will set you up for death way more often. It's crazy fun if you're the type of person who has fun looking out for these things, but if you just wanna roll your face over mobs for the majority of the run then it's not so great.

My suggestion is to get at least one, preferably two or three, friends and run through it as a little static.

Kind of sounds like Delubrum Reginae? which I enjoyed immensely

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

e:read that wrong

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nice! I started Eureka recently and only just unlocked Pagos today. I had a blast in Bozja so I'm planning on sticking it out to clear Baldesion Arsenal at the very least. count me in

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I don't mind the tedious posting about the 2.x expansions because tbf that is a tedious portion of the game. however I do take issue with the repeated calls to exterminate the lalafell race? wtf

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

keep Blizzard 1 on your bars, there have been more than a few times where I've dropped enochian with zero mp and in that situation if you don't have any ethers handy, Blizzard 1 will at least get you back in umbral ice phase regenerating mp

also, beware using a proc'd Fire 3 to start your astral fire phase: it starts the enochian clock a bit earlier than hard casting Fire 3 so you have less margin for error when it comes to getting your three Fire 4's out in time

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

was there ever a use for those train tracks all around Thanalan? tbh I would love to be able to take the train around Eorzea, even if it would just be for the novelty at this point.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They're just detail. There's no vehicle or anything that uses them.

Moving floors would probably have blown up the engine.

easy, just have it so you enter an instance for like 5 min and it's just you and 2 other players sharing a train car and chillin. after the five min are up you've successfully traveled from camp drybone to blackbrush station

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

/shout does anyone want to start a Steppe tribe with me?? I just need 3 people you can leave right after

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

That Little Demon posted:

loving chud rear end nazi

ah, the thing you got upset about and brigaded the thread with recently is okay for you to do now because it's ironic ha ha

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I love this

e:this video contains spoilers for the HW raids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1AnPqhd574

God Hole fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DelphiAegis posted:

If you've finished SB, it's worth also doing enough quests in mor dhona to unlock Doman Reconstruction. Takes a while to get to the end in real time since it's based on a weekly timer, but it's something to do with some of the silver allagan pieces you get from 18h ventures. My free teleport is still to Doma because of this. Every week another 40k Gil.

This is great to get done alongside Eureka/Bozja, since the entrances are in the area anyway and you get a ton of item/materia drops you don't need. be sure to check the market board first tho