Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

sassassin posted:

I basically disagree with all this unless you're trying to burn through the game to level cap as fast as possible (I did this and don't recommend it). Sidequests are story and lore. There's loads of fun content in the game that will be missed if you're focused on MSQ progress. Leves are mildly useful as a new/free trial player for gear and materials - they're quick (timed "kill as many as you can" one excepted) and offer a bit of variety.

The Hall of Novices might as well be ignored, the gear is obselete by the time you even get to a dungeon these days, and the xp ring is worth similarly little. The lessons themselves aren't very good either.

I kind of agree on HoN. One of the tank lessons is showing you 6 enemies and telling you to pull 2 at a time so you don't get overwhelmed.

Please don't tank like that, y'all. You can easily handle all six with a healer backing you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I got to explain what an Armory Bonus was to someone on NN last week but usually it's mischats and pet typing and RMT bots (fun to kick). I've heard other servers' NNs are fulla drama but Seraph's has been mostly chill.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Tanking is fun and I like playing chicken w/ mobs by seeing how close I can get before hitting Sprint while still getting the full 20 seconds

oh yeah, use Sprint so you get hit less often on the way to wherever you're going to post up. It's not just to make the dungeon go faster, it's mitigation since you're faster than the mobs while sprinting and they can't all reach you to hit you.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Theris posted:

Hit them once, which you can usually do without stopping. The DPS picking up aggro from one or two is not a problem, you just pick it back up when you stop running and they bring it over to you. If they don't bring it over to you that's their problem.

Yeah this is what I do. If they peel away a mob and insist on facetanking it outside 'hawk range, well ... I've never seen that happen, come to think about it. Usually they'll just keep running towards wherever you stop and give you the mob.

I'm considering what GilliamYaeger said and I might try that w/ the regular & ogcd AOE to make sure it doesn't happen, but it's not really a big deal when it does. A DPS can take a hit or two from a mob without perishing.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

FuturePastNow posted:

I usually just swing the first part of my aoe combo as I run past and then throw ranged attacks behind me until I get to the next group. Try not to overthink it.

This is the big thing, yeah. You'll find a rhythm that works for you and lets you pull smoothly, so don't stress it too much as a newbie. As long as you're grabbing 2+ packs and rotating your mitigations, the chances of anyone expressing a problem with how you're tanking is very low. There are so many awful tanks in Duty Finder that I can promise almost everyone has seen someone worse at it than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

FuturePastNow posted:

the Trade Mentor crown is a clear statement that someone has priorities in the game and being good at it isn't one of them

That's right. I'm here to click nodes and spend all my gil on materia, and I'm all outta gil.