Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mix. posted:

the CLEVER personality-

Oh poo poo here we go here we go

Sybot posted:

I don't think Dumb fits Ox, so the other traitor on this route is probably Rooster. Even though he had a route I don't think we learned his personality at the time.

It might not fit him personally, but "big, dumb ox" seems to fit the animal slot. And the other pairs seem to have been at least loosely connected so far, having Mouse and Ox paired up seems to fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sybot posted:

Stay silent. Traitor Mouse route, let's go!

I don't think Dumb fits Ox, so the other traitor on this route is probably Rooster. Even though he had a route I don't think we learned his personality at the time.

Was hoping we'd have a traitor protag. Stay silent.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Stay silent, of course. Who's ready to win this game the alternate way?

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Stay silent because confessing would be DUMB, and we're CLEVER!

I hope this route is one where we get to final 2 our way out with Rooster, assuming Rooster is DUMB.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Stay silent. Confessing will probably just lead to a dead end, possibly involving Mouse getting tied up and nobody remembering to untie her so she can input a move.

TheMaskedReader
Aug 14, 2022
Confess. Honesty is the best policy, guys! Worked out for Monkey, didn't it? Well. Sometimes.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Oh, snap, I wasn't expecting to see a Mouse route so soon.

Stay silent like a mouse, Mouse!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Confess, why not?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Stay silent. Finally, time for Mouse to go apeshit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Stay silent! it's time to be the traitor!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sketchie posted:

Oh, snap, I wasn't expecting to see a Mouse route so soon.

Stay silent like a mouse, Mouse!

Makes sense, people probably have figured out that the route names are loosely tied to the order of the cards in a deck and the animal's position in the race (so Pig, being the last animal, is Kings). Mouse is the first so her route would be Two and people could have voted that way.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Oh hell yeah. I'm pretty sure stay silent is the correct choice here; Tiger's the only one who really gets away with revealing herself, and I'm pretty sure it's because she comes off as too dumb to be duplicitous. As much as I want to say take the high ground, I don't think that's the correct choice to continue the route.

More importantly, we have confirmation of something we'd suspected for a long time: Mouse was not supposed to be here, and hasn't done anything to warrant being here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bifauxnen posted:

Oh poo poo here we go here we go

It might not fit him personally, but "big, dumb ox" seems to fit the animal slot. And the other pairs seem to have been at least loosely connected so far, having Mouse and Ox paired up seems to fit.

Well we've had: Tiger-Horse, Bunny-Dog, Monkey-Pig. We don't know the other side of Mouse's and Snake's pairings, but Hateful is very likely to be Dragon to pair with Snake (the only other option to fit in based on his route is Sheep, and that doesn't seem very fitting).

Monkey-Pig is kind of an odd connection though.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The thread heavily agreed that confessing here was a bad move, considering when Monkey does it she ends up tied to a chair. (Tiger doesn't, because, well, she's Tiger. Duh.)

[BGM: Silence]

Everyone, quiet!

If your personality is clever or dumb, please speak up right now. Obviously, no one is going to blame you. We just want to come to an agreement.

However, if you don't speak up now, we'll have no choice but to treat you as an enemy. So please, think carefully about how you want to proceed.

With those words, a plague of silence came over the room. No one even dared cough. Of course. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this was the correct choice. I didn't belong in this punishment game. I was a young girl with a promising life ahead of me. I had plenty of loved ones waiting for me, dreams to accomplish, and I had never done anything wrong. If Brian executed the others because of his stupid rules, I wasn't committing murder, he was.

[BGM: Hear No Evil]

And, if you really wanted to get down to it, not making the correct choice because I'd feel guilt is stupid when doing the incorrect choice will get you killed. Confess, and certainly die. Stay silent, survive, and I'd live with the guilt for the rest of my life, sure. But I'd also get to live the rest of my life. Looking at it objectively, this is the right answer.

Everyone... actually remembers their personalities, right? It wouldn't be too odd for someone to forget such a seemingly useless detail.

It's possible that the dumb and clever personalities don't even know it themselves.

Actually... I'm not super sure about what mine is. I mean, I think I remember correctly, but I'm not certain certain, you know? Maybe I should go and check.

Like hell you don't remember! It didn't happen that long ago.

But Dragon, what's the harm with letting people go check? Better safe than sorry, right?

I think letting anyone retreat at this stage would be unwise. The flaws are twofold.

First, it allows time for those with secrets to hide to compose themselves. At the moment, they're likely still flustered, and more likely to slip up. Additionally, letting them walk away and think by themselves will give them time for justification.

Oh, come off it, Snake. I'd like to think most people here are fairly moral people.

I had to struggle to keep my voice straight.

You'd expect one person to put the group over themselves? I think the fact that nobody's confessed suggests some people might've forgotten their personality. Hell, I'm not even certain on what mine was.

It takes zero effort to let people check, so why not?

… I suppose we could allow it.

Allow it? Who made you acting dictator? Last I checked, we're all adults with rights.

Fine, fine, do what you want.

Okay then, just to be sure, let's all split up and check our personalities.

I want the people with the dumb and clever personalities to think carefully about what the right thing to do is. This is your last chance to be on our side. You don't have any excuses after this.

Sorry Ox, but it's too late for that. I'm already not on your side.

Everyone split up, making their way to separate classrooms. Standing in that classroom, I closed my eyes. Last chance, me. Do I really want to be a sinner? ...Wrong question, me. I should be asking 'do I really want to be a corpse?' The sinners are all around me. Think about my mom. Think about my friends. Think about my plans for the future.

[BGM: Final Squeal]

Could I throw all that away for a clear conscience? ...I couldn't. No one could.

In that lonely room, I re-affirmed my determination. I wouldn't die here. I was surrounded by enemies, people who wanted me to die, but I wouldn't succumb. I would fight. And I would survive. I remembered my personality just fine, but just in case, I checked out the information tablet. Oddly enough, I noticed something. The word CLEVER was now written in green text. I guess that signified my new role? Not like it mattered.

I made my way back to the group. This time, filled with a determination to live. I looked all around the room, stared into all their eyes. Every one of them was an enemy. ...Well, that's not strictly true, is it? The person with the DUMB personality should, theoretically, be willing to work with me. The fact that they haven't spoken up yet means they're thinking along the same lines as me. But that only matters if I could contact them. As is, I have no idea who they are. And there's no way to contact them. Unless...

So, traitors, last chance. Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Please, please just confess! F-for all our sakes...

Forget it. This was pointless. Nobody here would sacrifice themselves for the group.

We don't know that!

Then why aren't they speaking out? Or, what, are you going to argue that even after checking their tablets again, they still don't know that they're the traitor?

No, that's probably impossible. I'd imagine that the tablet makes that clear now. Like, the affected personalities would be glowing green or something.

Subtle. :v:

Isn't green good? Why would it be glowing green?

It was an example, Pig. They could have a skull sign, or particle effects, or something.

My point is, the traitors know who they are. And they're not coming forwards. But we have an advantage over them.

An a-advantage?

They don't know each other. So right now, it's a 10 v 1 v 1. We'd be in trouble if they could contact each other, but as it is now, that's impossible.

Mouse is right. Honestly, we don't really need to adjust our plans much at all.

Once we have all the Minor Trinkets, we move as a group. It's not possible for one individual to break that up. So we should still prioritize our search for Minor Trinkets.

People nodded, and Ox talked, and everyone eventually agreed on splitting up and searching the school for Minor Trinkets. That's fine. That's the expected outcome, that's what I figured would happen.

When people started splitting off, I made my way over to the kitchen. And I waited. Now was the time to see if it happened. ...There were a lot of risks to this plan. The other traitor might not have their personality changed to the same color. The other traitor might not have enough trust to reach out to me. The other traitor might not have even noticed. But if they caught what I did there... If I could have just one person that I could work with...

And then, somebody walked into the kitchen with me.

Ah, Mouse. I thought I saw you walk over here.

Rooster. What are you doing here?

Well, I saw what you did over there. I just wanted you to know I caught it.

Oh? The thing with the color?

The thing that only us two should know.

Right... just the two of us.

… ...You're the CLEVER personality, right?

You're the DUMB personality, right?

We stared at each other for a couple of seconds, our unease slowly dying down. Finally, I breathed a sigh of relief.

[BGM: Mourning Crow]

I had found the other damned soul. ...Unfortunately, it was Rooster, who probably wouldn't be the most useful. Still, just having one person on my side meant the world.

So... you've also decided on what to do.

It's not an easy choice, I'm afraid.

But I'm on a course to the stars. I'll become an icon that the people cheer for. I decided a long time ago that I'd fight for all I was worth to reach my dreams.

I guess this is just the natural conclusion of that resolve.

But... to let the others die...

And it'd be preferable for us to die? Look, the way I see it, Brian has put us in a horribly unfair game. He's the one who's responsible for what happened here. But now that we're in this situation, all we can do is play our best.

If I didn't have this personality, and someone else did, I wouldn't fault them for attempting to kill me. They all will play their best. And we should play our best.

...You're right. It's tragic, barbaric, gruesome, but I don't plan on dying here. Even if it means becoming a monster... I'm going to fight my way out of this.

Ooh, I love that! You're really hitting me with some strong 'tragic heroine' vibes- you've got a good aura around you.

Rooster... please. Not now.

Jeez, tough crowd, huh?

Okay then, so what's the plan? We've established that we're willing to kill to survive, so what's the next step?

Well, with our abilities, I don't think we can disrupt Ox's plan naturally. We could look for a Major Trinket to turn the tables, but... that's a risky gambit. We don't know what we'll find, or when we'll find it.

So that leaves... actual murder.

I thought as much. A tragedy, but the difference between carrying out such an act with our hands and through our actions is negligible.

… A-Anyways, I've been thinking about it, and it seems very possible that some Major Trinket will allow the group to somehow verify or check somebody's personalities.

Wait, why would that be a thing?

When you think about it, this is sort of like a social deduction game.

Social deduction game?

Like werewolf, or mafia. If Brian was taking inspiration from that, we would be the two 'hidden roles'. And in those games, there's usually some way to verify people's innocence or lack thereof.

When viewed from that perspective, a Major Trinket would be the perfect way to facilitate something like that. It's a mechanic tied to the game that doesn't necessarily revolve around movement. If someone finds something like that, we're really screwed.

After all, it's not like we can take on the whole group. Heck, there are individual members of that group I don't think we could take 2 v 1.

So from what I'm hearing, it sounds like we're gonna have to kill pretty much everybody by ourselves.

… I'm saying... that it would be our best strategic chance for survival.

And we made our choice to survive, right?

Right.

Okay then. So I ask again, how do we get started?

Let me think for a second.

I paced for a couple of seconds. Don't think about this like I'm murdering people. Think about it like I'm writing a murder mystery. If I was a culprit in one of those novels, what move would I want to make?

It'd be best to put suspicion on somebody else to start with. If the group thought they had caught a traitor, they'd likely imprison that person, which is like taking a piece for free. So what sort of trick could I use? Anything too obvious, and one of the sharper members in the crowd would catch it. But if I counted on people's deductive skills...

[BGM: Slithering]

Okay. I know what we need to do. We're going to use a 'False Disguise' ruse.

Ooh, we've got names going, I love it! That's the sort of winning energy we need.

Please be less enthusiastic about our murder plot. For now, grab a weapon. Uh, a kitchen knife will work just fine.

Rooster complied, grabbing one from nearby.

Good. This plan is going to leave us with two victims. Our first target should be... ...Snake would work the best.

You know, I'll trust you for the think-y things, I'll be the talent. You say Snake needs to die, he'll die.

I saw him heading down that hallway to the left, he's actually pretty close to the cafeteria. The two of us searched a part of that hallway earlier, I think he's just making his way through there.

Okay, this can work.

I took a deep breath in, and another out. Turn off that fear switch. Detach from the situation. There is no other option here. You were forced into this game. You need to play it. Think about the alternative – the tightness in your throat, the pain in your chest, and all the people you'd never get to see again. Death was something too horrible for anyone to simply accept. Everyone should try to be as good a person as they can, but allowing yourself to die is a price too great. Nobody could be expected to pay it. Everyone has a right to try to survive – it's your one and only, most precious life.

Now, to keep my own existence, I'd cast out somebody else's.

Ah, Mouse. How goes it? Are you also searching around this area?

Uh, yeah – actually, I think I found something, but I'm not sure what it means.

You're stumped on one of Brian's riddles?

I never said I was stumped! ...Just, you know, a second pair of eyes wouldn't hurt.

Very well, I shall lend you my aid. Where's the riddle?

This way.

I led Snake into the nearby art classroom.

You found something in here?

Y-yeah.

Odd. I already searched this area, and didn't find anything.

I guess you just didn't search well enough.

I suppose I didn't.

Look, the riddle starts over here.

I walked over to a nearby closet. I heard Snake follow behind me. When I reached the closet, I put my hand on its handle. But I didn't open it. I just stopped and closed my eyes.

[BGM: Mousetrap]

Because I knew what was about to happen.

Mouse, I thi-

Hey, what are you do-

*shlick!*

I heard the sound of a knife finding its target. I heard the sound of Snake collapsing onto the nearby table. And I heard the sound of life leaving Snake's body. …I might've hallucinated that last bit, but it certainly felt audible.

You can look now. It's over.

I know. I don't want to.

Well, you're going to have to at some point.

I know, I'm just... preparing myself.

By doing what?

Look, I'll turn around in three seconds. 3... 2... 1...

Without thinking about it anymore, I turned around. Sure enough, the sight I was met with was far from pleasant. Snake had completely collapsed to the ground, blood pouring from his stomach. His eyes were wide open in a haunting manner. I would definitely need to book more sessions with Monkey after all of this. … Book more sessions with my new therapist, that is.

One thing was for sure – I wouldn't be forgetting this image anytime soon.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Hey gang, you just committed a murder. Can you successfully hide any evidence you did it, as well as successfully send the group down the wrong path?

(the LP will make all the best choices for this section, but I wanted you guys to get to try and find the best path yourselves as well :eng101:)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao at the "well, my NEW therapist I guess" line near the end there. I was also genuinely surprised when it was Rooster and not Ox, I really thought that was where this was going.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, I think this update thoroughly confirms we get to be the killer this route

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, I think this update thoroughly confirms we get to be the killer this route

Dunno. Where's the evidence?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm already loving this route. Go on, Mouse, show us what that magnificent brain can do for evil.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

wologar posted:

Dunno. Where's the evidence?

Being tidied up so we don't get caught. Duh.

Actually, I think I saw some on horse. He's being pretty shady right now.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
This is a dream come true! It really is Rooster! Best partner in crime a Mouse could ask for!

We should try to do what Rooster did on his route. Deflect the blame onto a big target like Horse. If possible Horse and Bunny.

The group will tie the scapegoats up for easy shanking later on. 1 body will be disappeared, enabling the pair to take everyone else down one by one.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

I am not surprised at all that Rooster has the DUMB personality.

Snake down, still too many to go! Who's next?!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hrm based on that, this is just a guess,, but I think whenever Ox gets the Traitor personality, I think he'd be paired up with Sheep. We know Rooster's route is done and so is Sheep's. There aren't too many unknown personalities left (Ox, Sheep, Dragon), and Dragon is very likely paired with Snake.

Man, it's weird that we're on the last third or so of routes.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Mouse seems unusually dumb here, since this specific pairing can thwart Oxs plan - all they need to do on the minor trinket turn is to make mouse hitch a ride while rooster encourages her. This leaves him last, while giving mouse +3 to her movement AND depriving the group of 2 squares of movement at the same time, meaning that depending on what round that happens on, chances are this wil result in mouse being number 1, rooster being last and everyone else biting the big one.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Oh hey, I was right about Rooster being Dumb.

I'm curious how Mouse's plan will go, there seem to be a lot of moving parts based on the options presented. It seems to be a plan focused on taking suspicion off the two of them, so if does work out and they are 'confirmed not sus' they'll be clear for a while.

Snake being the first victim is appropriate, considering that just last route he was saying that Mouse was one of the ones he'd trust to watch his back.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You know, it's interesting how the traitors on this route are the 2 people who probably have the least to do with Amadeus' murder (Rooster's connection are his parents and Mouse is her dad but even then it seems she wasn't originally planned).

That said I love we get to be the death game villain now.

Normal Mouse: "We need to trust each other and be careful, I don't want anyone to die!"

Traitor Mouse: "So anyway I started blasting".

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Let's Play The Zodiac Trial: Please be less enthusiastic about our murder plot

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

mycelia posted:

Let's Play The Zodiac Trial: Please be less more enthusiastic about our murder plot

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Well, Mouse really went for it right away--with a little pushing from Rooster, who is probably all too pleased to have the excuse to off his revenge targets.

Here's the thing, though: what if Rooster's not the DUMB personality? After all, he's actually quite sharp, just very unreliable. What if he noticed what Mouse was doing, but isn't actually the DUMB personality? He was pretty shifty about actually confirming concretely what he picked up on (other than Mouse was behaving oddly) until Mouse spelled out about the color. Rooster could very well just be pretending to be the other traitor because he wants help offing his vengeance targets, and plans to backstab Mouse at the very end to survive.

...Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

You know, it's interesting how the traitors on this route are the 2 people who probably have the least to do with Amadeus' murder (Rooster's connection are his parents and Mouse is her dad but even then it seems she wasn't originally planned).

That said I love we get to be the death game villain now.

Normal Mouse: "We need to trust each other and be careful, I don't want anyone to die!"

Traitor Mouse: "So anyway I started blasting".

I imagine it's important to this route that Mouse found a computer that contained everyone's dirt on this route; it allows her to justify fighting for survival, especially when it seems she hasn't done anything to deserve being here.

ZCKaiser fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 28, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It was definitely a little dodgey how little suspicion mouse had, but I kind of figured he was on the level when he shanked the first person mouse suggested, no questions asked.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZCKaiser posted:

Here's the thing, though: what if Rooster's not the DUMB personality? After all, he's actually quite sharp, just very unreliable. What if he noticed what Mouse was doing, but isn't actually the DUMB personality? He was pretty shifty about actually confirming concretely what he picked up on (other than Mouse was behaving oddly) until Mouse spelled out about the color. Rooster could very well just be pretending to be the other traitor because he wants help offing his vengeance targets, and plans to backstab Mouse at the very end to survive.

Rooster correctly guessed that Mouse was Clever though, something which he could only confirm if he was Dumb. If he wasn't one of the traitors there was a 50% chance he could have guessed wrongly since Mouse could also have been Dumb.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rooster correctly guessed that Mouse was Clever though, something which he could only confirm if he was Dumb. If he wasn't one of the traitors there was a 50% chance he could have guessed wrongly since Mouse could also have been Dumb.

True; granted, maybe he figured there's some reason for the labels and Mouse is more likely to be CLEVER than DUMB. To be clear I'm not putting much stock into this theory, I mostly think it's funny. Given the focus on getting away with murder it seems more likely that Rooster is the DUMB personality.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Not to mention we already know that Rooster wasn't the traitor on his route, and I think there's only one other traitor pairings left that he could possibly be part of. It's a coin flip, but I think we can generally assume at this point Rooster is dumb.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Marluxia posted:

we can generally assume at this point Rooster is dumb.

I think we can more than just assume that. The question is if he has the DUMB personality.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean he managed to kill the Very Smart Snake, so who's the real dumb one.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

You're welcome, by the way.

I don't recall thanking you?

Well you should! You're freaking out over there, but I'm the person who had to stab the old dude!

...You're right. If it's this bad for me, it must be traumatizing for you.

Not really.

Huh?

[BGM: Lucky Foot]

I mean, as an action hero, I've gunned down countless enemies of questionable morality. My fictional kill count must be in the hundreds at this point.

When you think about it, this is also a 'play' of sorts. An act. So this is no different from any of those past kills!

Really?

Well, that's what I'm telling myself. I fear if I think about it any more than that, I might break down- which would totally kill the 'bad boy' image I've been cultivating, so I won't.

That's, uh, that's fair. Anyways. With this, I've killed a person.

Nuh uh!

You've killed half a person.

...Dare I ask?

Think about it. If you've killed two people, then your kill count would be 2. If you kill one person, the kill count would be 1.

However, if two people kill one person, each of them has a kill count of 0.5. After all, just like 2/1 equals 2, or how 1/1 equals 1, 1/2 equals one half.

...Rooster, that might be the dumbest goddamn thing you've said all day.

Are you serious? I'm making complete sense right now!

Think about it. Snake has died once, right? Now you're not going to argue that just because you didn't physically do the murder, you're less culpable for it than me, are you?

N-no, that wouldn't be fair.

Right! So we both did some amount of murdering. And Snake has died. The only way the math works out is if we only killed half of him each. Otherwise, you'd be saying 1 + 1 = 1!

Anyways, don't we have more steps in your 'plan' or whatever?

Right, right. For now, move Snake's body into the closet. Then wipe away the blood on the floor with napkins. You won't be able to wipe all of it away, but that's intentional.

On it, chief.

Rooster got to work on that task. In the meantime, I just sort of looked around. Just then, I noticed that some blood splatter got on the side of my jeans. poo poo! poo poo. gently caress. It was only step one, and already I was getting incriminating evidence stacked against me. ...Well, I needed to do something about the situation.

That's right, for this first murder we have to actually successfully hide any evidence that we could've been involved! There's multiple steps to this, and it'd be hard to get the thread to vote on each step in a meaningful way due to how the success or failure is tallied (more on that in the bonus update!), so we'll be making all the correct options as far as the LP itself goes. That being said, I DID still run a poll to see how many people successfully got away with the murder, so I'll be noting what the thread's results were.

As for this first part, the best course of action (that only 13.2% voted for) is...

Surely nobody had been paying that much attention to me, right? It was totally natural for somebody to have the bottom of their pant leg rolled up a bit. This was highly risky – if someone ever noticed this and asked me to roll the leg down, I'd be totally screwed. ...But there was no way that would happen. If it did, I probably would've already been under a fatal amount of suspicion. So I rolled up my pant leg, and prayed.

Over by the closet, Rooster had finished his task.

Okay, now what?

Now, I'm gonna need you to strip Snake.

What?!

Mouse, you dirty bird.

This is the plan, I swear.

The plan involves you perving on a corpse? I mean, I get it, no judgment, everyone's got their thing, but-

This is not “my thing”. And if it was, there should be some judgment!

Look, here's what I'm thinking for the plan. We kill somebody a bit further down the hallway. Next, you go to a nearby classroom. You “witness” Snake walking by the classroom, and later discover the body.

But we just killed Snake!

...You'd be lying.

Oh, right, I knew that. ...Also, could we call it 'acting'?

Sure, fine, yes, okay, I guess, if you must. You'd 'act' like you saw Snake, and you mention he was wearing his rubber Snake mask. You know, the one we all woke up with?

But then, we find Snake's body in this room. At first, it doesn't make sense. But, we find Snake's clothes and his mask discarded nearby – say, this room. Now, seeing this, what would they assume?

Uh...

...I don't know why I'm asking you this.

The assumption would be somebody killed Snake, then dressed up as him on purpose to try to frame him. That'll put suspicion on the people who could pull off a Snake disguise – Bunny and Dog primarily, though I imagine a few other suspects might be floated.

Oh, okay.

But wait, couldn't I also dress like Snake? Wouldn't I also be a suspect?

No, because you couldn't see yourself.

But what if they think I'm lying?

If they 'solve' the disguise mystery, they won't even think twice about your possible guilt. So long as them finding Snake and his clothes is natural enough, the idea that you planted evidence to corroborate a story of you being lied to wouldn't even enter their heads.

In their eyes, you'd be the mark, not the scammer.

I see, I see.

Understanding, Rooster began to strip Snake down.

...You can leave the underwear on, by the way.

I know. I'm not a pervert. I'm not you.

Rooster!

I kid. I actually now get why we're doing this. After all, every good lie stems from the truth. The trick is to tell the truth for 90% of it, and then tweak a bit right at the end.

...Rooster, you realize we're doing this to create evidence, not to help us lie better, right?

Oh, I know.

… Anyways, I suppose the next natural question would be where to hide Snake's clothes...

The best action for this one (which 67.3% voted for) is...

We need something that they're likely to find, but something that would be a good hiding spot for a rushed killer.

I guess a closet drawer works well enough, right? I mean, if I was the killer, that'd probably be good enough in a pinch.

Sounds good to me. Here, his clothes and his mask.

Rooster handed a bundle to me.

You can give me the kitchen knife as well. They would've discarded the weapon here, likely.

Alright.

He also handed over the bloody knife. I took the bundle, and stuffed it in a random drawer in the desk.

That should do it.

Excellent!

Crime scene successfully forged. Next up is Victim Number Two.

Grab some random heavy statue to use as the murder weapon.

On it.

Rooster looked around and found a suitable weapon.

Head down the hallway – I saw a staircase which led to a side exit just a bit further down. I'll look for somebody else and lure them over there. ...And you handle the bloody business once more.

On it. I'll be waiting in ambush.

Godspeed.

...Feels wrong to say that in this context, but the sentiment is appreciated.

With that, we split up. I wandered the first floor in search for a suitable patsy. And soon enough, I found just the target: Sheep. Poor Sheep. She seemed so innocent. Operative word – seemed. Everyone was brought here for a reason. Still, I couldn't help but feel the fire of guilt grow in intensity for lying to her.

...She was awfully gullible. Getting her to follow me to the designated spot took almost no effort at all. I lured her there, and right as we got near the staircase?

*thud!*

Once again, Rooster didn't hesitate to carry the deed out. With one solid swing, Sheep hit the floor. I didn't watch, but it was pretty obvious what had happened.

[BGM: Lamb to the Slaughter]

Ugh. That felt dirty.

It had to be done.

Oh, I know. But I didn't like that one bit. Killing an old creep like Snake? I can work with that. Killing a pure soul like Sheep? That's, like, a month of nightmares at least.

She's not a 'pure soul'.

Oh, but she was – I could see it in her eyes, and her beautiful hair.

Okay dude, whatever you say. Please don't turn into a creep on me.

What's creepy about giving a girl some compliments?

Giving a girl you just murdered compliments?

I see your point. Praise withdrawn.

Anyways, we're now at one kill each, so that's something.

We're not going back to that. We need to focus on preparing the next steps.

What else is there to do?

Well, we need to decide some things. First of all, just to be clear, you know your story, right?

Yeah yeah, I know it. I've got it.

What's the story?

I'm searching through this classroom, finding, like, a Trinket a second, whe-

Please leave out the brags, they're just going to invite suspicion.

Okay, jeez.

I'm doing 'average' at searching in a classroom when I see Snake walk by.

You see Snake?

Yeah, that was the story, right?

Are you sure it's Snake?

Hell yeah I'm sure!

No, you're not. He's wearing his mask, right?

Oh right. I should mention that.

Honestly? Forgetting for a second would probably be in-character. Just remember to say it at some point.

Right.

I'm thinking about getting you a witness, to make it seem more believable.

A witness?

Right, you'd get somebody to search the classroom with you. You'd be the only one to 'see' Snake, of course, but just having somebody around when you 'see' it should make the story more believable.

Oh, then we should do it!

But... bringing in somebody else like that is risky. We can't control their behavior, and it might end up causing some trouble.

Oh, then we shouldn't do it.

Still, if it worked out, it would do wonders for your believability.

I'm confused, should we do it or shouldn't we?

Rooster, I'm saying there's risks associated with doing it and risks associated with not doing it.

Okay, and I'm telling you, as the think-y one, which is our best option?

The best choice for this one (which 62.3% voted for) is...

A witness will help a lot. Let's get one.

Great!

But that brings up a new problem. If somebody is with you, you're going to need a natural reason to go check out the crime scene.

Couldn't I just say that I wanted to go check on what Snake was doing?

Maybe, but I don't know how believable that would be.

Hmm.

It would be for the best if you heard a noise that drew you two out there. Like a crash or something.

That would be great!

If it sounded like the murder, that'd even give me an alibi for the crime – solidifying the story further!

Sure, but to make that sound, I'd probably have to do it. I could push Sheep down the stairs. That'd likely do it, but...

What's with the hesitation?

If you guys came out right after that, I could only get so far from the crime scene. I'd probably end up being in close proximity, and thus would end up a suspect.

Oh come on, I've been doing all the heavy lifting so far! I mean with the actual murders, and the star testimony, and whatnot.

You should get your feet wet in the whole 'murder plot' waters. It'll be fun!

The best choice here (which 34% voted for) is...

It will decidedly not be. However, I don't see much choice in the matter. If it helps our odds, I say we do it.

Great, then we're decided!

It appears we are. The dice are cast, so to speak.

Let's see if we have a winning roll.

And just like that, we put the plan into action. Rooster, for his part, went to look for someone to search this area with him. Meanwhile, I hid in a classroom right next to Sheep's body. Soon enough, I heard Rooster and Pig talking in the nearby classroom. It was go time. I walked over to Sheep's body and, with some hesitation, pushed it down the stairs. Then I immediately headed back to the classroom further down the hallway. After pausing a beat or two, I walked in, after Rooster and Pig had already made a scene.

From there, the entire group was called for, and slowly began to gather around the crime. Everyone was panicked and very sad at the death. Horse in particular looked like he was barely holding his rage in. It was very troubling. Very tragic. …To most people. For my part, I just tried my best to play the part of a grieving, scared girl. Rooster volunteered the story we had concocted. And Pig, for her part, verified what she could.

Ox listened in with a very focused look on his face. He was in full investigative mode.

[BGM: Dog Days]

So Snake walks towards this direction, a bit later a body shows up, and he's not even around? Where could he be...

Well, in fairness, it's not like we have everybody. There are still a few people in the further areas of the school still investigating, blissfully unaware of all of this.

Um, should we try to go get them?

We will in a bit, for now let's try not to crowd too many people around the scene. That can lead to issues.

And Rooster, you were with Pig at the time this happened?

Yessir, we were looking around together.

Yeah, Rooster was with me when he saw Snake. Although I didn't see him myself.

But you heard the crashing noise a bit later?

Right, that's what drew us to this scene.

Okay, that all checks out.

Done with his interrogation, Ox walked over to the body and leaned in to look closer. Trying to look helpful, I followed him, bent over, and looked too.

…

It appears that Sheep was struck from the side. She was likely just walking by when the assailant clonked her with that statue nearby.

You mean this thing?

Dog walked over to the statue and tried picking it up.

Don't tamper with evidence!

I'm investigating! This is what investigating looks like!

Oh really, and what keen insights are you picking up on right now?

The statue's heavy.

Fascinating.

Anyways, there's not a lot to the crime. It seems pretty open and shut that the killer just hit her over the head with this statue, then fled.

Mouse, you were searching in a nearby classroom, weren't you?

Yes, why?

I just think it curious.

Hold on, you're not suspecting me, are you?

Oh, lay off her, Horse. That statue's too heavy for a girl of her stature to effectively use as a weapon. I mean, she could probably lift and use it if needed, but it'd certainly be unwieldy.

She'd generally opt for something like a knife.

Besides, there's a staircase right near the scene of the crime. Which means it would've been easy for the killer to slip away without being spotted.

But they were spotted, weren't they?

…

…

Well, I think there's one mystery on everyone's minds.

And what's that, Rooster?

[BGM: Cock a Doodle Doo]

Why on earth did Snake walk over to the scene of the crime? A true enigma.

..Well, Rooster, I think we were all assuming that's because he was the killer.

Oh, so just because he happens to walk to a scene where there's a dead body, he made the dead body?

...Yes?

Tch, tch, tch. Bunny, you've fallen into one of the oldest logical fallacies around.

Causation does not equal correlation!! There are many possible explanations for Snake's movements.

...For example?

Well, perhaps he was a vampyr.

Rooster.

Hey, no, hold on, give it a second. Very creepy, ambiguously old, knew a lot of things he shouldn't know.

I think he's got a vampyr bingo going! He was lured to the scene by following the sweet sweet smell of blood.

And it explains where he went – when he heard people coming, he simply turned into a cloud of fog, as a vampyr might.

...Well, okay, I appreciate the thought Rooster. This vampire angle might be a possibility to look at lat-

No, it isn't, it's stupid. Don't humor him.

Rooster, could you please take this seriously?

I am!

Or are you some sorta non-believer?

I beg of you to shut up, I beg of you.

I'm just saying, if we're dealing with vampyrs, we've gotta be prepared for it! I'm not seeing a stake on any of you.

Would a vampire have grey hair? I thought their whole deal was that they were, like, eternally young or something.

Pssh. That doesn't prove anything. Snake could have been dying his hair.

To... make him look older?

Yeah, gives him a real wizened look.

Well then, that raises a question – do the carpets match the drapes?

Good question!

Bad question. The worst question. The anti-question.

You guys realize we're standing in front of a dead body, right?

...Allegedly dead.

This was a perfectly good investigation. It was fine. What happened?

[BGM: Stampede of Truth]

I had to admit, I was surprised. I had secretly been kinda worried that Rooster wouldn't be able to hid what we had done, but he was acting... like normal. Even moreso than myself, really. I guess he was a better actor than I gave him credit for.

Actually, Rooster, there's something odd about your testimony. You never mentioned that Snake was carrying this statue.

Well, that's because I didn't see him carrying it.

You didn't?

In fairness, I only kinda caught the back half of him, and even then, only from one side. It's heavy, but not that large a statue. He could've easily been holding it and I would've missed it.

Very well then. Does anyone know where this statue came from?

Uh, there's an art room not very far from here. I would think it came from there.

Okay, let's all investigate over there.

And like that, the group headed over to the nearby art room.

Mix. fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 4, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
This is already a delightful route but the discussion between Rooster, Pig and Dog made it even better.

Let's Play the Zodiac Trial - Well, perhaps he was a vampyr.

Also uh, RIP Sheep, you barely got to do anything.

Kinda interesting that Ox is actively interested in investigating this time round. In most routes he's just tunnel focused on Minor Trinkets, especially in Sheep's route.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 3, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
the black comedy in this route is loving stellar

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is already a delightful route but the discussion between Rooster, Pig and Dog made it even better.

Let's Play the Zodiac Trial - Well, perhaps he was a vampyr.

I also love that Mouse instinctively knows that Rooster picked the most dramatic spelling for "vampire" , because why wouldn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Junpei posted:

the black comedy in this route is loving stellar